Smelling good does not essentially mean smelling flowery, musky, or citrusy. The struggle to stay odor-free and fresh without overpowering scents is real for those with scent sensitivities. If this sounds like your struggle, investing in the best non-scented deodorants is the answer. These gender-neutral deodorants are free of fragrances and essential oils and are formulated to mask the foul odor caused by bacteria living in your pits, feet, and other body parts.
The market is replete with unscented deodorants, and we’re here to help you make the right choice by presenting you with the best options. Without any further ado, let’s dive right into the benefits of using the best unscented deodorants and the list of the best products for your sensitive nose.
What Are The Benefits Of Unscented Deodorants?
Here are some major benefits of using unscented deodorants.
- Parfum is an ingredient that may trigger allergies. The best unscented deodorants are free of parfum, thus reducing the chances of developing allergies associated with this ingredient.
- When you use another product, such as perfume oil, you wouldn’t want your deodorant to interfere with its luxurious scent. An unscented deodorant offers sweat protection and tackles foul odor while letting the smell of your perfume shine through.
- With unscented deodorants, you don’t have to worry about the preferences of people, especially those with scent sensitivities, around you.
11 Best Non-Scented Deodorants To Mask Body Odor In 2023
Formulated with rich ingredients, such as coconut oil, shea butter, tapioca, and probiotics, the Native deodorant is skin-friendly. The solid consistency makes it easy to apply, and being unscented, it is ideal for both men and women. The deodorant is easy to carry when traveling as it is available in a stick format. Further, it is a great choice for a hectic, sunny day when you might perspire more than usual, as its 24-hocliniur clinically proven formula provides effective odor protection. Make sure to follow the application tips mentioned on the pack. Additionally, you can check out this video review showcasing a tester’s experience to learn more about this product.
- Free of aluminum
- Free of parabens and phthalates
- Talc-free formula
- May not be stain-free
Deodorants are not antiperspirants, so they do not prevent sweating. However, an antiperspirant may also contain a deodorant to help mask malodor (1).
2. Best For Sensitive Skin: PiperWai Natural Activated Charcoal Deodorant
PiperWai Natural Deodorant is an effective, all-natural option for controlling odor and wetness. This deodorant contains activated charcoal and other organic ingredients such as coconut oil, shea butter, and pure vitamin E, making it safe and gentle on the skin. It is free of aluminum, parabens, phthalates, and other harsh chemicals, making it ideal for those with skin sensitivity. In addition, it has a smooth, creamy texture that glides on easily and dries quickly.
- Comes in a convenient, travel-sized jar
- Long-lasting and effective
- Soothing and moisturizing
- Vegan-friendly and cruelty-free
- May not be as effective as antiperspirants
- May leave white residue on dark clothing
3. Best Dermatologist-Tested: Vanicream Clinical Strength Anti-Perspirant Deodorant
The dermatologist-tested Vanicream Clinical Strength Deodorant is a mild formula ideal for those with sensitive skin. Made without botanical extracts and essential oils, this skin-friendly professional-grade deodorant is free of scent and provides 24-hour protection from sweating and the foul odor resulting from it. All you need to do is evenly spread a small amount of this solid stick deodorant to your underarms and face the day with complete confidence. Here’s a video review showcasing a tester’s experience to help you learn more about this clinically backed product.
- Free of dyes
- May not be suitable for humid months of the year
Native Unscented Deodorant
PiperWai Natural Activated Charcoal Deodorant
Best For Sensitive Skin
Vanicream Clinical Strength Anti-Perspirant Deodorant
|Dimensions||-||2 x 2 x 2 inches||2.19 x 1.25 x 2.88 inches|
|Weight||-||2.4 Ounces||3.8 Ounces|
If you’re looking for a fragrance-free deodorant that is gentle on the skin, the Almay deodorant has to be your pick. This is one of the best gel deodorants for those with active lifestyles as it provides wetness and odor protection throughout the day, and its hypoallergenic formula ensures minimal to zero allergic reactions. Its gel formula leaves behind no mess or white residue, and it is an equally great choice for your conscience as it is not tested on animals.
- Quick-drying formula
- Tested by board-certified dermatologists
- Safe for sensitive skin
- Free of alcohol
- Might have a slightly sticky consistency
Nakd.’s Thai Crystal deodorant is formulated with 100% natural mineral salt to offer 24 hours of odor protection. This salt neutralizes bacteria that cause foul odor and works its magic without blocking your pores. The formula is also hypoallergenic and earth-friendly, which means it does no harm to your skin or the planet. This is one of the best unscented deodorant sticks that delivers visible results and provides armpit care without staining your clothes.
- Free of aluminum
- Free of dyes and parabens
- Does not contain animal products
- May not be an ideal option for those who work out
If your biggest pet peeve when it comes to stick deodorants is stain or white residue, this stain shield deodorant from Arm & Hammer can be a game changer. It leaves behind no amount of wetness and enhances personal hygiene by keeping your underarms dry and preventing foul odor. The deodorant is infused with baking soda, a natural ingredient that neutralizes the smell of sweat. Moreover, it is made from various other natural ingredients and is free of harmful chemicals and irritants.
- No colorants
- Free of animal-derived ingredients
- Free of parabens
- Might require frequent reapplication
If you’re on the prowl for a powerful deodorant with a classic form and trusted protection, your search might end here. The Sure unscented deodorant is a cult-favorite product that offers effective and long-lasting protection against both odor and wetness, making it the right choice for when the days get hotter. With an unscented formula, it has been ruling the deodorant aisle for those with a sensitive olfactory sense for years now.
- Glides on smoothly
- Quick-drying formula
- Offers 48-hour protection
- Free of parabens
- Contains talc
Here’s an aluminum-free deodorant enriched with botanical ingredients such as shea nut butter, tapioca starch, and coconut oil. Free of synthetic fragrances, talc, and other questionable ingredients, this non-toxic deodorant cares for your skin while providing protection from odor and sweat. Available in stick format, you can use this deodorant anytime and carry it conveniently on the go.
- Free of phthalates
- Not tested on animals
- Free of additives
- May require frequent reapplication
The Ursa Major deodorant is formulated without skin-irritating chemicals and baking soda. It not only keeps foul odor at bay, but also prevents your pits from feeling wet by absorbing excessive moisture. It effectively fights and eliminates odor-causing bacteria and can even be used by those with sensitive skin. With a silky-smooth texture, this deodorant glides on smoothly and offers long-lasting results.
- Made of clean ingredients
- Ideal for men and women
- Suitable for daily use
- Cruelty-free formula
- Might stain clothes
Formulated to be both an antiperspirant and a deodorant, the Speed Stick masks foul smell while preventing you from sweating. This stick deodorant’s longevity is impressive, it’s invisible protection and freshness last for hours. It tackles underarm wetness with aluminum zirconium, its active ingredient. Speed Stick offers an unscented version for those with scent sensitivity, and a range of fresh-smelling deodorants to suit different preferences.
- Suitable for those with allergies
- Offers long-lasting freshness
- Some might find the formula a little dry
This all-natural deodorant by Tom’s Of Maine works by inhibiting the growth of odor-causing bacteria. Made with aloe gel and other natural plant extracts, this deodorant, known for its proven efficacy, is ideal for everyday use as it provides relief from irritations associated with sweat. The hops cone extract and organic cymbopogon flexuosus oil give the product its signature deodorant properties. Further, natural moisturizing and antioxidant agents, such as sunflower seed oil and ascorbic acid, care for your skin while keeping odor at bay.
- Free of artificial preservatives
- Free of parabens
- May not be effective against profuse sweating
How To Choose The Right Non-Scented Deodorant?
If you’re on the lookout for a non-scented deodorant that suits your preferences, there are a few factors you should consider.
- Product format: Unscented deodorants are available in various forms, from solid sticks to deo balms and liquid gel-like formulas to sprays. Finding a format and deodorant efficacy that works for you will ensure you feel comfortable using it. Balm and stick are the most common types, and they’re also popular for being handy.
- Chemical-free: Non-scented deodorants with clinically proven chemical ingredients, such as parabens, sulfates, and aluminum, can also irritate your skin. Therefore, it is best to ditch the nasty chemicals and choose a deodorant with all-natural and gentle ingredients for your delicate skin.
- Antiperspirant: While some deodorants are plain, others boast antiperspirant properties. However, picking an antiperspirant-cum-deodorant is not essential. Antiperspirants contain ingredients that prevent sweating altogether, and deodorants mask the smell of sweat. Settle for a deodorant with antiperspirant properties only if you perspire a lot or are looking for a deodorant for summers.
Simone de Vlaming, a beauty expert and blogger, says, “Apart from choosing the right deodorant, maintain a regular skincare routine that includes exfoliating your underarms. You should also moisturize the underarm area to prevent dryness, especially if you’re using a deodorant that might have a slightly drying effect.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
Amrit S, the author of this article, is a skincare and makeup aficionado and a passionate content writer. He loves researching different skincare products and curating lists of the best products to help readers pick the best options. In this article, he has listed the best non-scented deodorants after carefully reviewing each product and highlighted their pros and cons to help you make an informed decision. Furthermore, he provides answers to some common questions and discusses the benefits of the best unscented deodorants.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do non-scented deodorants work?
Unscented deodorants are an option for those who get overwhelmed by strong scents. Fragrances can trigger headaches and nausea in some people, and such people take comfort in using unscented deodorants to dodge such reactions to strong smells. Unscented deodorants are formulated with quality key ingredients that neutralize body odor, meaning they help you deal with foul odor without masking it with a certain fragrance.
2. Do unscented deodorants work better than scented ones?
Not necessarily. However, the best unscented deodorants may work better for those with smell sensitivity as they’re free of fragrances and parfum that may irritate the olfactory sense.
3. Does deodorant cause cancer?
Some researchers believe there might be a possible connection between breast cancer and deodorant use, as underarm deodorants or antiperspirants are applied near the breast and may contain harmful ingredients. However, there is no scientific evidence that proves deodorant is one of the causes of breast cancer (1).
4. What is the difference between a deodorant and an antiperspirant?
Deodorants are generally alcohol-based, and they help reduce odor. They usually contain perfume to mask the odor. On the other hand, antiperspirants are generally aluminum-based. They help block the sweat glands for a while and minimize sweating.
5. Are natural or conventional deodorants better?
All-natural deodorants are often formulated with natural ingredients and are free of chemicals and synthetic ingredients. Such deodorants are gentle on delicate skin. However, they may have a short shelf life.
6. Is unscented and fragrance-free the same?
No, they are not the same. Fragrance-free deodorants contain no masking or synthetic or artificial fragrances, but they contain the original fragrance of the ingredients. In contrast, unscented deodorants may have some chemicals or ingredients that neutralize the odor of other ingredients (2).
Non-scented deodorants can change your life if you’ve been dealing with overwhelming fragrances—whether strong or mild—because of your increased sensitivity toward perfumes. When choosing the best non-scented deodorant, it helps to go through the list of ingredients and ensure the deodorant is free of harsh chemicals, as these ingredients may be harmful to your skin. Furthermore, check the form, such as aerosol, stick, cream, and balm, and make the right choice based on what type of product you find easy to use. We recommend the Native Unscented Deodorant, as it can keep bad odors at bay for up to 24 hours, the Vanicream Antiperspirant Deodorant, which is suitable for sensitive skin, and the Almay Deodorant for its residue-free, quick-drying formula.
Infographic: Difference Between Unscented And Fragrance-Free Deodorants
The terms unscented and fragrance-free deodorants are often used interchangeably in the cosmetics industry. But before looking for the right deodorant, understand the difference between unscented and fragrance-free deodorants from the below infographic.