Your home or workplace can have various odors emitted from various sources. Thus, you need the best odor eliminator for rooms. Air fresheners may temporarily mask these odors, but odor eliminators can be a permanent solution to unpleasant smells at a place where you spend most of your time.
Odor eliminators can be of various types and come in various sizes and formulas. Keep scrolling as we bring you a list of the best odor eliminators for room. We also tell you about the various types of odor eliminators for rooms and give you valuable tips on choosing the right product for your home or office.
Types Of Odor Eliminators
Aerosol sprays are the most popular deodorizers and give out fragranced liquid under pressure, which quickly evaporates when released into the air. Though usually considered very safe, some sprays may release volatile organic compounds (VOC) which can cause respiratory irritation.
Non-toxic candles, made of soy wax or beeswax, also do a great job of fighting unpleasant odors at home or a small office.
If you decide to freshen the air with an essential or scented oil, you need a diffuser to get the scent into the room. A diffuser breaks the oil down into smaller molecules and disperses them into the air through a fine, scented mist. Essential oils like lavender, peppermint, or orange, when combined with carrier oils, create safe, pleasing scents. Scented oils are like essential oils but instead of coming from natural materials are manufactured in labs. They’re usually less expensive than essential oils, but don’t have the same health benefits as essential oils and have a shorter shelf life.
- Air purifiers
Air purifiers use a fan to suck in air and pass it through filters, which trap pollutants and particles, and the fan then pushes clean air back out.
- Air purifying bags
These usually contain bamboo charcoal and are organic, eco-friendly, chemical-free, and not only eliminate odor but also absorb moisture.
These rely on heat induction and heat-activated scent gels to release a fragrance into the air.
- Solid air fresheners
Solid air fresheners are usually encased in plastic, with a lid that you can lift a little or a lot to release the amount of fragrance you desire.
- Cleaning products
Rather than masking nasty odors, you can freshen your office or home by eliminating odors at their source. Enzymatic cleaners eliminate odors by breaking down waste particles into smaller pieces and then eat them, thus eliminating the odor.
12 Best Odor Eliminators For Your Rooms And Workplace In 2023
Keep your room free of odor with this odor eliminator spray that doesn’t just mask but also removes odors with OdorClear technology. It freshens the air with a light fragrance and can be used as a closet freshener or laundry room or bathroom odor eliminator. This product is 100% natural, and being a non-flammable propellant, it is safe to use around pets. It’s made under the strictest quality control and contains no CFCs.
Spray the air refresher in a sweeping motion to clean away everyday odors from pets and bathrooms to cooking odors. It is also an effective smoke odor eliminator. One spritz and your home or office will have a fresh and clean fragrance. Check out this product testing video to learn more about the product.
- Water-based odor removal formula
- Corn-derived odor eliminator
- Safe to use in cats’ and dogs’ rooms as well
- Free of dyes, phthalates, and formaldehyde
- Spray bottle may not be highly user-friendly
- May not be long-lasting
The Rocket Pure shoe deodorizer is made with powerful, all-natural ingredients and is effective at keeping your shoes and feet smelling fresh and clean. It contains ingredients such as eucalyptus, mint, tea tree, and thyme that directly targets strong shoe odors and leaves a cooling sensation when applied on feet. The fast-acting formula helps with instant odor removal and is also effective at keeping your sports equipment, gym bags, backpacks, and pet beds smelling fresh.
- Not tested on animals
- Quick-drying formula
- Long-lasting freshness
- Non-toxic, non-GMO formula
- Provides 700+ sprays
- Some may not like the smell of the spray
- May not eliminate the odor completely
3. Best Plant-Based: Positive Essence Virgin Coconut Linen And Room Spray
The room spray by Positive Essence is suitable for eliminating odors from closed spaces. Infused with natural components, this concentrated room spray can help you turn any space into an aromatherapy spa. This tried-and-tested room and linen spray is aerosol-free, making it suitable for rooms, fabric, bathrooms, cars, closets, and more. Formulated with organic active ingredients and infused with pure essential oils, this odor-eliminator spray is a gentle and efficient way to make any space smell fresh and relaxing.
- Improves mood and sleep quality
- Available in multiple scents
- Has a tropical scent
- Not tested on animals
- Free from artificial fragrances
- Can be used as a car odor eliminator
- Bottle might be slightly leaky
- Some scents might not last long
|Febreze Air Refresher||Rocket Pure Natural Shoe Deodorizer Spray||Positive Essence Virgin Coconut Linen And Room Spray|
|Color||Crisp Clean Scent - 3 Pack||-||-|
|Dimensions||2.32 x 7.38 x 9.65 inches||5.75 x 1.75 x 1.75 inches||-|
|Weight||1.65 Pounds||0.01 Ounces||-|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
The Air Jungles deodorizer balls offer a safe and effective option for eliminating odor from your shoes, lockers, or gym bags. This pack of six odor-eliminating balls is available in multiple refreshing scents, including lavender, ocean, fresh, and linen. It features an easy-to-use twist design to activate the scent, and each ball can be used for up to 30 days to fight unpleasant odors in shoes, closets, or backpacks.
- Long-lasting odor-eliminating product
- Made with natural ingredients
- Compact design
- Provides quick results
- Can be used as a car air freshener
- May not be very effective against strong odor
- Some may find the scent to be a bit light
5. Best Hypoallergenic: The Crown Choice Air Freshener Spray
The Crown Choice’s citrus-scented odor eliminator has an oil-based formula that can help you eliminate even the strongest odors with its long-lasting fragrance. Its concentrated, waterless formula removes the odors instead of masking them. Made of plant-based ingredients, this spray is capable of removing odors from rooms, offices, toilets, and linens and can also be used as a body spray. As per reviews, its four-ounce bottle provides almost 200 sprays, and the natural odor eliminator is safe for use around children and pets.
- Made of natural ingredients
- Stain-free formula
- Multipurpose scented product
- Some may find the smell a bit too strong
- Sprayer may be a bit flimsy
Stay free from overpowering odor with this odor remover by Arm & Hammer that comes in a pack of three tubs measuring 14oz each. They contain white crystals, and the entire tub should be placed on a flat surface in the problem area. These crystals absorb and eliminate any odor and work for up to 60 days, after which the tub should be replaced. The crystals harden and dissolve depending on the temperature and other local conditions. Loved by reviewers, this product is suitable for toilets, closets, and laundry rooms and helps remove stale odors to give a long-lasting freshness.
- Removes mildew odor
- Eliminates musty odor
- Works well for muddy rooms
- May not be great against pet odor
- Shelf inserts may be flimsy
The odor-eliminating product is made with all-natural ingredients and provides long-lasting freshness in any space. It is formulated using the best essential oils and plant extracts that provide a refreshing scent. In addition, the bottle features a compact, environment-friendly design with an efficient shape. The air freshener is available in four refreshing fragrances, and each seven-ounce bottle offers about 3000 sprays.
- Suitable for aromatherapy
- Made with non-toxic ingredients
- Natural odor eliminator
- Non-aerosol pump
- Spray nozzle may be a bit flimsy
- Some fragrances may be a bit light
Maintain a fresh, dry, and odorless room with this refreshing odor eliminating bag. Made of just one potent and natural ingredient—moso bamboo charcoal, it works to effectively absorb and remove odors and harmful pollutants and helps clean and freshen the air. It is also excellent for use in damp environments, as it absorbs excess moisture. The Moso Bag is a natural and healthy alternative to chemical deodorizers, candles, gels, sprays, and crystals that may sometimes cause health problems.
With many positive reviews, this natural bamboo-activated charcoal purifier is sealed inside a beautiful linen bag and can be placed on any surface. To reactivate, place the bag outside in the sun once a month for one to two hours. Moso Bags last up to two years and can then be recycled into the soil.
- Stand-up design bag
- Convenient to hang
- Suitable for basements
- Not tested on animals
- Free of harmful chemicals
- May not be great against smoke odor
Manufactured with molecular technology, this product not only permanently masks but also eliminates odors in kitchens, closets, bathrooms, fabrics, and carpets. It also works on skunk odor. This powerful odor absorber is non-allergenic, cruelty-free, and biodegradable and is safe to use on rugs, carpets, and any other surface. Just spray it in the air and on surfaces in any room and it will eliminate odor without leaving any scent behind.
- Non-toxic formula
- Pet-safe odor absorber
- Prevents odor build-up
- Eliminates fuel, mildew, and smoke smell
- May leave a sticky residue on the floor
- May not be great at eliminating dog urine odor
The Odor Drops by Lock Laces includes six reusable shoe deodorizer balls that can help you get rid of unpleasant odors from boots, lockers, gym bags, and more. These odor neutralizers feature an easy-to-hold spherical design and have a twisting mechanism to activate the fragrance. The packaging tube can be used as a carrying box, offering portability and convenient storage. These tried-and-tested deodorizing balls available in three refreshing fragrances can help keep your shoes smelling fresh for up to a year, thereby eliminating the need to frequently replace shoe deodorizing units.
- Can be used as car air freshener
- Locking mechanism for long-lasting fragrance
- Versatile usage
- Neutralizes odors
- Reduces odor-causing bacteria
- Some may find the scent weak
- May not provide the best results for strong smells
Keep your rooms smelling fresh with this pet odor eliminator. It uses the revolutionary ClO2-DMG technology with the odor-eliminating power of chlorine dioxide to get rid of vomit, urine, rotten food, mold, mildew, fish, and skunk odors. This product is 100% biodegradable, does not leave any carbon footprint, and hygienically deodorizes any room that is up to 400 square feet in size. It is fast acting and completely eliminates the toughest odors in as little as four hours and a maximum of 24 hours depending on the severity of the smell.
- Doesn’t leave any residue
- Safe and non-toxic
- Also removes chemical odor
- May stain fabric
- May not remove smoke odor
Mrs. Meyer’s odor-removing spray is specifically formulated to eliminate unpleasant odors while infusing a mild and refreshing scent into the room. The spray is infused with essential oils, making it pet-friendly and safe for children. It is both a room and fabric freshener free of propellants, artificial fragrances, and colors, making it a safe option for keeping any space smelling nice and refreshing. This odor-removal product is available in multiple garden-inspired fragrances, ranging from floral to citrusy, to suit your preferences.
- Free of parabens and phthalates
- Fast-acting formula
- Non-aerosol odor-eliminating product
- Safe to use on fabric
- Not tested on animals
- Formula may not be alcohol-free
- Not suitable for use on wooden surfaces
How To Choose The Right Odor Eliminators For Rooms?
Consider these factors when choosing an odor eliminator for your rooms.
- Type: Odor eliminators for homes come in several forms like air fresheners, deodorizers, candles, gels, essential oils, and air purifiers and can also come as plug-ins, sprays, potpourris, gels, automated misters, beads, and more. These either emit a fragrance to cover bad smells, include odor eliminating ingredients, or neutralize bad smells.
- Purpose: Some odor-eliminating products, like air purifiers, have a dual purpose, while others are good just for their fresh scent. Air fresheners are easy to find, budget friendly, simple to use, and come in a variety of scents and fragrances. Deodorizing products are great for their odor neutralizing properties. Some products are scent-free odor eliminators, making them suitable for those who are sensitive to fragrances.
Candles not only add to the aesthetics but are a great odor-busting item as well. Gels are a good pick if you want a no-fuss, longer-term odor control product. You can leave them out for weeks or even months without needing to change them.
Essential oils not only make the room smell nice, they are also used widely for aromatherapy. As air purifiers pull allergens and pollutants from the air, they are a popular option for those with allergies. HEPA filters are extremely effective at filtering particles and can capture odors, smoke, pet dander, and mold for fresher air. With so many options, it is a matter of personal preference as to which one you would want to opt for.
- Room size: Room size is a major factor to consider when choosing the best odor eliminator for your home. Multiple products may be required for larger rooms. For small spaces, you may prefer a lightly scented product so that the fragrance is not overwhelming. Room size is particularly important when choosing an air purifier and its efficacy can be measured with the Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR). The CADR rating refers to how quickly a purifier can clean the air of a room of a particular size. If a room is too large, the purifier will not be as effective.
- Ingredients: Odor eliminators have either natural or chemical ingredients. Chemical ingredients emit a fresh scent and can help with longevity and efficacy. Natural ingredients include essential oils, natural extracts, enzymes, and activated charcoal, and each ingredient has a different purpose. Activated charcoal can absorb odors from the air, natural enzymes break down odor-causing messes, natural extracts and oils can impart a pleasant scent without the use of chemicals. Your choice of active ingredients would depend on the odors you want to target.
- Scent: Most odor eliminators have a clean and fresh scent or smell but every kind of fragrance is available from sweet florals and light citrusy blends to warm and woody fragrances. If you are sensitive to certain kinds of smells, there are plenty of unscented options. There are a variety of scents available to suit every requirement, and it’s worth the time and effort to find a scent that you love.
- Longevity: Products like gels and plug-ins can last for weeks or months and offer a consistent fragrance. Air purifiers can last for many years, but will need a filter change at some point.
Those who prefer lighter scents should choose a product that dissipates quickly. Candles or lightly fragranced sprays are a good choice if you want a temporary fragrance. Most odor eliminators have deodorizing ingredients that help to get rid of bad smells even after the fragrance is gone.
Are Odor Eliminators Safe To Use In Homes With Kids And Pets?
Although researchers aren’t certain how toxic these are for children and pets, there is evidence that air fresheners, plug-in diffusers, and essential oils may sometimes cause respiratory issues and mild stomach upsets, and in more extreme cases, damage to the kidneys, liver and central nervous system, especially in the case of pets.
The suspected problem with some air-freshener sprays, diffusers, and solids are two-fold. Exposure to the chemicals used to create the pleasant fragrances to cover up the bad can sometimes lead to health issues for pets and children. This would usually happen if there is direct contact with the spray or exposure to the residual droplets that land on various surfaces. The second issue with air fresheners is the volatile organic compounds that the products contain. However, when you carefully research and make the purchase from a credible brand, there isn’t much to worry about.
Paula Tarling, a professional domestic cleaner and influencer, says, “I am big on lovely scents and think they make a home more inviting. I love a nice candle or wax melt and often choose soya wax options as they are safe to breathe in. Be sure to open your windows for at least 15 minutes each day to let out any stale air and welcome fresh air in.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
We have listed the best odor eliminators for rooms that freshen the air rather than temporarily masking it. After thorough research on various odor eliminators and how they work, as well as going through various customer reviews, we have understood user conveniences and requirements and found relevant products. Our post includes detailed product descriptions along with a buying guide and various odor eliminator types to help you make the right choice for your home.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do air purifiers get rid of smells?
Yes, a good quality air purifier can eliminate unpleasant smells by getting rid of the contaminants in the air that cause the bad odor. They are also effective in capturing allergens in the air and making the air healthy and fresh to breathe.
2. What is the difference between room fragrances and odor eliminators?
The major difference between room fragrances and odor eliminators is that the former helps in masking bad odor by dissipating a strong scent or perfume into the air. On the other hand, odor eliminators nullify the odor by trapping odor molecules using different formulas and techniques.
3. Do odor eliminators kill bacteria?
Some odor eliminators may contain antimicrobial ingredients to minimize odor-causing bacteria. However, they are not effective in killing bacteria.
We spend a significant amount of our time in our workplace and room, and unpleasant odors can hinder productivity. Odor eliminators ensure your room has a pleasant scent and is free of any peculiar smells. When you choose an odor eliminator with a fragrance you like, your room smells pleasant and inviting. Odor eliminators are available in the form of scented candles, plug-in room fresheners, air purifiers, and reed diffusers. This presents you with several options to choose from based on your preferences. Our top picks include the Febreze Air Refresher, which is natural and pet-friendly, and the essential oil-infused Positive Essence Virgin Coconut Linen And Room Spray, which is versatile and gentle. The propellant-free Mrs. Meyer’s Room And Air Freshener Spray is also popular due to its fast-acting formula.
Infographic: Different Kinds Of Odor Eliminators
Odor eliminators help remove odors from your rooms and closets. However, various options are available to suit your specific needs. Follow the infographic below to learn more about the types of odor eliminators.
- Material Safety Data Sheet
- Nader Pazyar et al.;(2013);A review of applications of tea tree oil in dermatology