A tampon is of great help during the menstrual days and is the go-to option for many women. As it is such a widely-used product, waste is generated in equal measures. The best organic tampons bridge this gap and are comfortable to use as well, as they are made of organic cotton-based products.
Unlike tampons made of synthetic fibers, organic options are safe for the human body and the environment. In a world majorly affected by plastic pollution, switching to organic options that are compostable and come with recyclable packaging is more than welcome (1).
A common concern for many would be the price difference between organic and artificial ones. However, the trend is slowly shifting, and organic tampons are also available at affordable rates. If you’re lost on how to go about selecting a reliable and tried-and-tested organic tampon, we’re here to help you out with just that. In this post, we have listed some of the best organic tampons options for you. Keep scrolling.
Benefits Of Using Organic Tampons
Check out the benefits of using organic tampons before diving into the list of the best options available online.
- Environmentally-friendly: As they are primarily made of organic cotton, harmful pesticides and herbicides aren’t used while farming, so toxic chemicals do not leach into waterways and soil. As they are made of organ cotton and contain no synthetic fibers, they can be fully broken down without creating strain on the environment. The applicators, too, are usually made of biodegradable or recyclable cardboard (1) or BPA-free plastic that are plant-based, usually
- No hormone disruptors: Endocrine disruptors like dioxin, which is a by-product of rayon and bleaches used in tampons, can cause hormone problems, infertility, and in some cases, even cancer. And for that matter, organic tampons contain no harsh chemicals that can be absorbed by the absorbent vaginal membrane.
- Safeguards water: Organic cotton farming depends on rain water to a large extent, and doesn’t use pesticides that can contaminate waterways.
- Lowers TSS risk: As they are free of toxic ingredients and synthetic elements, the risk of toxic shock syndrome (2) and other bacterial infections is greatly reduced.
- Better construction: Organic tampons usually have a special weave that prevents fibers and toxic residue being left behind when you remove it.
- Good for sensitive skin: Organic tampons are usually fragrance-free, so there are fewer chances of them causing irritation or a bad reaction, especially if you have sensitive skin. Fragrances can also disrupt the pH balance of the vagina, leading to yeast infections.
Shawnda Dorantes APRN, MSN, FNP-C, a family nurse practitioner, says, “If you have sensitive skin, I suggest you use tampons that are made of 100% organic cotton and those with an organic applicator.”
19 Best Organic Tampons
1. Best Gynecologist-Tested: Seventh Generation Organic Cotton Tampons
This pack of 18 organic cotton tampons gives you all the protection you need with its leak-free construction. Made with soft, absorbent, and organic cotton, this all-natural tampon has no added chlorine, fragrances, synthetic rayon, deodorants, or dyes, so you aren’t exposed to questionable chemicals. By not using chlorine whiteners in the tampons, harmful toxins are prevented from entering waterways.
It has a smooth 95% plant-based and BPA-free plastic applicator, which is comfortable and easy to insert. These gynecologist-tested, organic cotton tampons are hypoallergenic and suitable for sensitive skin. Check out this review video detailing a reviewer’s experience with using the product.
- Expand out
- Free of titanium dioxide
- Easy to insert
- Perfect for beginners
- String may not be long enough
- Cotton may shed a little
"I love that these hypoallergenic tampons have suited me well so far, although the applicator is a tad bit flimsy. They offer peace of mind during busy days."
2. Best Hypoallergenic: Cora Organic Cotton Tampon – Multipack
These organic tampons come in a pack of 18 regular and 18 super tampons made of 100% certified organic cotton. They are highly absorbent, comfortable, hypoallergenic, and expand to fit your body for complete leak protection, so you can move around and wear what you want. These dye-free tampons expand width-wise for leak-protection and comfort, and the W-shape allows longitudinal expansion for even absorption.
The BPA-free compact plastic applicator has a sleek tip for smooth and easy insertion and can be slipped into your pocket or bag very discreetly. This product is bleach-free, pesticide-free, fragrance-free, toxin-free, and rayon-free. Take a look at this review video and learn about a tester’s experience with using the organic tampons.
- Woven cord for an added layer of leak protection
- Good absorbency
- Good for those with sensitive skin
- Applicator may be thicker than you expect
- String may be short
"I love these tampons for their clean ingredients. The design of the applicators could have been better, but nonetheless, they are sturdy and far less messy than their paper-based counterparts."
3. Best Chlorine-Free: o.b. Organic Cotton Tampons – Super
This pack of 18 100% organic super cotton tampons offers effective protection for up to eight hours. The chlorine-free tampons come with a 92% plant-based tru-comfort plastic applicator and are also free of pesticides and dyes. Although they provide leak protection for up to eight hours, it’s recommended to change them every four to eight hours, depending on your personal requirements.
- Completely organic from tip to string
- Great absorption
- Makes you forget they are there
- Works incredibly well on heavy days
- Unscented tampons
- Great for overnight use
- May not be easy to remove
- Applicators may be slightly long
"Unlike other organic tampons, these are pretty absorbent and easy to handle. The individual plastic wrapping does take some time to open, but they're now my favored organic tampons."
Seventh Generation Organic Cotton Tampons
Cora Organic Cotton Tampon - Multipack
o.b. Organic Cotton Tampons - Super
|Dimensions||5.12 x 5.78 x 4.88 inches||4 x 4.88 x 8 inches||2.36 x 4.96 x 5.51 inches|
|Weight||4.5 Ounces||7.83 Ounces||5.29 Ounces|
4. Best Unscented: Rael Organic Cotton Core Tampons
These unscented, soft, premium, organic tampons come in two packs of 16 regular and 16 super tampons. They are made from responsibly sourced, certified, non-GMO, Texas organic cotton that is grown without the use of pesticides, chlorine, dyes, toxins, or harsh, synthetic chemicals. Each tampon has an ultra slim, BPA-free, plastic applicator with a contoured anti-slip and rounded tip for easy insertion and control.
These tampons expand to fit the body for maximum leak-free protection, and use leak locker technology to keep fluids locked in the core for up to eight hours. The product is safe and suitable for all skin types and menstrual conditions. Watch this review video to get a better idea about the product and its features.
- Easy applicator
- Does not contain titanium dioxide
- Does not leak
- May be slightly thinner than you expect
- Applicators may be slightly long
"I'm a long-time user of Rael's products, including their tampons. I've always found the quality commendable despite the slight struggle I experience on and off when inserting them with one hand. Regardless, I appreciate their focus on material quality."
5. Best Highly Absorbent: Tampax 100% Pure Cotton Core Tampons – Super Absorbency
These organic tampons feature a 100% organic cotton core that gives you complete leak-free protection. They are free of dyes, chlorine bleaching, and fragrances and come with 90% plant-based plastic applicators that are easy to insert. The innovative and tried-and-tested LeakGuard Braid Protection prevents leaks by providing extra protection. These tampons come in three boxes of 16 super tampons each and the box is made from recyclable material.
- Does not cause irritation or itchiness
- Does not cause spotting
- Feels comfortable
- May not highly absorbent
- String doesn’t come with a knot
"On my quest for a cleaner tampon, I chanced upon these. Though initially skeptical, I now swear by their comfort and absorption. They may require more frequent changes, but considering the no-itch and pain-free comfort they offer, it's a minor inconvenience. I'm sticking to these henceforth."
6. Best GMO-Free: Veeda 100% Natural Cotton Tampons
These biodegradable tampons are made from 100% natural cotton, and are also hypoallergenic and gynaecologically tested. They are available in three packs of 16 lite tampons each. Containing no pesticides, dioxin, chemicals, chlorine, dye, fragrance, or synthetic ingredients, it provides the comfort and reliability you need. These GMO-free tampons come with specialized grooves to help prevent leaks as they offer all-around coverage, making it one of the top recommended tampons by healthcare professionals. The applicator is made from BPA-free plastic that is healthy, effective, safe, and irritation free.
- Made of sustainably sourced ingredients
- Packaged using recyclable material
- No pain or burning sensation
- Lasts for hours
- May not be easy to insert
- Some may not like the texture
"I've relied on these tampons for a while now. Despite being absorbent, they don't fan out and lose their shape. Also, they are easy to carry in a discreet manner, making them travel-friendly."
7. Best For Sensitive Skin: Natracare Organic Cotton Tampons – Super
Natracare Organic Tampons have a certified cotton cover and contain no chlorine, rayons, dioxin, perfumes, or dyes. These applicator-free tampons are biodegradable and compostable. They come in a pack of 20 tampons with super absorbency and are suitable for sensitive skin. These organic tampons are made of long-fibered organic cotton that is rolled into a wad and designed to gently absorb medium flow and expand widthways. The plastic-free tampons come in recycled BPA-free packaging, in a recycled cardboard box, printed with ink made from vegetable dyes. This tried-and-tested product is also available in a pack of ten.
- Comes with strings for easy removal
- Suitable for beginners
- Fits into the palm
- Easy to use
- May not be super
- May not be easy to unwrap and use
"I do not have to worry about the extra monthly plastic with these. They fit well in my reusable applicator and feel comfortable. They are better than any other tampons I've used before."
8. Best Fragrance-Free: MyBoxShop Organic Tampons
Made of 100% certified organic cotton and approved by the FDA, these tampons are safe for your body. They are also chlorine- and preservative-free and expand for a natural and comfortable fit. The eight-channel leak-proof design improves the absorbency and feels secure. These environmentally friendly tampons are good picks if you want to shift from harmful chemical-loaded tampons to a cleaner and healthier choice.
- Thin and breathable
- Prevent irritation
- Reusable cup
- Stay in place
- Fragrance-free tampons
- BPA- and fragrance-free
- Removing the tampon can be tricky
- Do not include an applicator
"It was the chemical-free formulation that struck a chord with me and made me buy these tampons. Having used them now, I would recommend them for their reliable absorbency and comfort."
9. Best Applicator-Free: Organyc Complete Protection Tampons
These applicator-free tampons are made of 100% certified organic cotton and offer incredible absorbency and leak protection. These biodegradable, soft, and gentle tampons come in a pack of 16 regular tampons and proudly display a 100% cotton seal. They are hypoallergenic, breathable, compatible with the skin’s pH, and contain no chlorine bleach, parabens, latex, rayon, perfumes, SAP, plastics, or synthetic materials. The tampons are expertly created for comfort and have a soft, rounded tip for easy and gentle insertion. Their sleek design ensures maximum comfort and good leak protection.
- Lasts long
- Safe for sensitive skin
- Comes with minimal packaging
- Helps reduce bleeding
- May be smaller than you expect
- Packaging may not be great–not easy to open
"I find these tampons effective for days when I have a lighter to medium flow. They're comfortable and absorbent, lasting around 4 hours for me on the initial days of my period. They don't fan out, something I prefer as it makes the removal more comfortable."
10. Best Preservative-Free: My Box Shop Organic Tampons
These non-toxic, fragrance-free, and preservative-free organic tampons have a leak-free design. Available in a pack of 32 regular tampons, these all-natural tampons expand width-wise and use eight channels to prevent leaks, increase absorbency, and offer a secure, and comfortable fit. The BPA-free plastic applicator is non-toxic and easy to insert and use.
The applicator is environment-friendly, compact, and completely recyclable. Made of 100% organic cotton, these non-toxic tampons are free of chlorine bleach, dyes, pesticides, and microplastics, thus minimizing irritation and allergens.
- Organic tampons
- Stays in place
- Discreet packing
- Holds well
- No infections
- May not be super-absorbent
- Removing it can be a little tricky
11.Best Cruelty-Free:L. Organic Cotton Tampons
These environmentally-friendly tampons are made with GOTS-certified organic cotton and are free of chlorine bleach, pesticides, dyes, rayon, or fragrances. The pack of 30 includes 20 regular and ten super-absorbent tampons. These cruelty-free tampons come with a compact BPA-free plastic applicator for comfort and convenience.
- Does not cause dryness and swelling
- Easy to insert
- Absorbs well
- Some might find inserting these a little hard initially
"I recommend these tampons for their smooth glide and good absorbency. It's gentle on my skin, keeping any irritation at bay. The tampon and string hold their form. I wish the packaging were more eco-friendly. Overall, it's been a satisfying purchase."
12.Best Eco-Friendly:TOP the organic project Organic Cotton Tampons – Regular
Made of 100% biodegradable and certified organic cotton, these tampons are totally free of toxins, chemicals, synthetic fibers, deodorant, chlorine bleach, latex, parabens, formaldehyde, fragrances, and dyes and are ethically and sustainably produced. This product comes in two packs with 16 regular and 16 super-absorbent tampons to cater to all flows. In addition, these tampons are made with a smooth and curved tip for easy and comfortable insertion.
They are packed in plant-based wrappers and the tampon applicators too are plant-based—made of sugarcane with a plastic-like feel. The compact applicator is made of two tubes, which enclose the tampon. This hypoallergenic, organic tampon offers superior leak protection.
- Made of natural cotton
- Woven cord for better leak protection.
- Easy-to-use applicator
- May not be easy to remove
- May not be great for heavy leaks
"It's only recently that I made the switch to organic tampons, and I love them. These cotton tampons are comfortable and give you peace of mind."
13.Best Comfort: Pee Safe 100% Organic Cotton Biodegradable Tampons – Super
Unlike many tampons made with viscose, these environment-friendly, organic tampons approved by board-certified dermatologists are made with 100% organic cotton grown without the use of toxic pesticides, chlorine bleach, dyes, and synthetic fertilizers. They are ultra soft, natural, comfortable, and biodegradable. These applicator-free tampons are easy to insert, highly absorbent, and offer complete protection from staining. The product is ideal for women on the go or those into sports activities. Moreover, these sustainable period care tampons decompose easily as they are made from organic cotton.
- Provides complete protection from staining
- Suitable for activities such as swimming and horse riding
- Comfortable and easy to use
- Super-absorbent tampons
- Designed in a way that you do not remember you are wearing one
- Available in multiple sizes
- Some might find these a little rough to slide in
- Wrapped in plastic packaging
14.Best Protection:The Honey Pot Company 100% Organic Regular Tampons
These unscented, 100% certified organic cotton tampons offer safe and effective leak protection and are free of pesticides, chlorine, dioxins, fragrance, or synthetic materials that are often found in traditional tampons. The box comes with 18 regular absorbency tampons, and each comes individually packed in a durable wrapper. It is easy to insert with its soft bio-plastic applicator that is derived from sugarcane. It provides unsurpassed, leak-proof protection as it expands both in length and width.
The withdrawal cord is stitched through the entire length of the tampon for easy removal. It has a textured fingertip design so that there is more control while inserting the tampon. These hypoallergenic tampons come in 100% recyclable packaging.
- Applicator comes with a textured grip for slip-free insertion
- Applicator is BPA-free
- Compact tampons
- Dermatologically tested
- Helps in easing cramps
- May not be great for heavy leaks
- May be slightly long
"These organic tampons handle heavy flow well and are significantly better than other brands I've tried. Although they're a tad tricky to get out of the applicator, it doesn't hamper their effectiveness."
15.Best Cotton:Oi Girl Organic Cotton Light Tampons
These light tampons by Oi Girl are made of 100% organic cotton and are free of chlorine bleaching, fragrance, pesticides, and toxic sprays. Its applicator is compact, easy to insert, and convenient to carry in your bag. It comes as a two-pack, with 16 tampons each with light absorbency. The tampons are packed in a recyclable box and the ink used is derived from vegetable dyes.
- Light and small tampons
- Suitable for teenagers and beginners
- Can be worn while swimming
- May not be super-absorbent
16.Best 360° Protection Designed:Playtex Clean Comfort Organic Cotton Tampons
Playtex Clean Comfort tampons are made of 100% organic cotton core, and the applicator is designed with a combination of cardboard and plastic. The applicator has a plastic tip to offer comfort, and the plunger is made with eco-friendly cardboard. This design helps reduce plastic usage by up to 40% compared to regular applicators. The tampon offers 360° protection and has a high absorbent capacity. This variety pack contains 14 super and 14 regular-size tampons.
- Easy to use
- Suitable for light to medium flow
- Does not leak
- Free of chlorine and harsh dyes
- Some may find the tampons small
- Plunger might need an extra push
"I am satisfied with these organic cotton tampons. I found them comfortable, absorbent, and of good quality. A feature that I love is the mix of super-absorbancy and regular sizes, as it helps cater to varying flows."
17.Best Pocket-Sized:Lola Regular Organic Tampons
These regular absorbency tampons offer powerful leak protection for your period. They are gynecologist-approved, hypoallergenic, and made with 100% safe and organic cotton, and absolutely no toxins, dyes, fragrances, synthetic fibers, or chlorine bleach. Unlike many other tampons that just have an organic cotton core, these tampons are made with 100% organic cotton, down to the string. The tampons come with a compact BPA-free plastic applicator that is designed for smooth insertion. They are naturally absorbent, and expand in all directions to protect against leaks.
- Free of harmful ingredients
- Offers 360-degree leak protection
- Comes with pocket-size applicator
- Helps reduce period cramps
- Comes in a discreet packaging
- Applicator may be a bit short
- May not be highly absorbent
"I shifted to these organic tampons, and I am really loving the experience. Their comfortable fit and commendable absorbency changed my perspective, especially as someone who always preferred pads. The cotton make is gentle and comfortable."
18.Best Soft Material:Azalea Organic Cotton Tampons
If you plan to purchase eco-friendly tampons that are safe for your body and the planet, the Azalea Organic Cotton Tampons are a reliable option. These organic cotton tampons are soft, highly absorbent, and free of toxic and harsh chemicals and elements such as chlorine and synthetic pesticides. Moreover, each tampon is fragrance-free and hypoallergenic. The applicator is made of paperboard and features round corners to ensure comfort when using the tampons.
- Good absorbency
- Does not cause irritation
- Easy to use
- Skin-safe tampons
- May not be easy to pull out
19.Best Biodegradable:Emerita 100% Organic Cotton Tampons
These 100% certified organic cotton tampons come in a pack of 16 tampons with eight super and eight super plus. They lessen your risk of exposure to chemicals as they are free of rayon, perfume, chlorine, pesticides, dioxin, and synthetic materials. There’s a soft mesh security veil around the core of the fluffy and absorbent tampon, which is designed to prevent fibers from losing their integrity and shedding. These tampons come with a biodegradable cardboard applicator that is easy to insert, and the withdrawal cord is sewn securely to ensure easy withdrawal.
- Tampons are easy to unwrap
- Comes in a good multipack option
- Works well with changing flow k
- May not be very easy to insert on heavy-flow days
"I was initially hesitant about these tampons, as I thought the applicator might crumple. Though the applicator isn't perfect, it's easy to use once you get the hang of it. I found these tampons comfortable and absorbent. Overall, I recommend them for their effectiveness, comfort, and eco-conscious design."
How To Choose The Right Organic Tampons?
Consider the following factors when choosing an organic tampon.
- Ingredients: Make sure that the organic tampons you intend to buy are made of 100% organic cotton and do not contain any toxic ingredients like additive chemicals, rayon and synthetics, dye, dioxin, or fragrance as the vaginal skin is highly permeable and can absorb these chemicals, causing irritation and increasing the risk of infections (3). They should be hypoallergenic and not bleached with chlorine. In addition, you can also consult a healthcare professional for the right tampon.
- Applicator: If your tampon has an applicator, it should be made of cardboard or plant-based BPA-free plastic. Many conventional tampons have plastic applicators which contain petroleum. Such plastic tubes do not degrade and are a risk to marine life.
- Construction: Ensure that not just the core, but the entire tampon is made of organic cotton and that it is completely absorbent and leak-proof. Many organic tampons are covered with a special mesh and have a woven cord that prevents leaking. The tampon should expand both lengthwise and widthwise so that it absorbs better and it doesn’t leak. The head of the tampon should also be soft and rounded so that it’s easy to insert. The cord should be well sewn along the length of the tampon so that it doesn’t detach while removing.
- Menstrual flow: You can choose between light, regular, super, and super plus absorbency, depending on your menstrual flow and how often you have to change. The flow may be different on different days, so sometimes it makes sense to buy an assorted pack to cater to this.
- Eco-friendly: Your organic tampons should be sustainably sourced and environment-friendly. They should be biodegradable and be made with organic cotton so that no pesticides, fertilizers, or toxic chemicals that can leach into the soil or waterways are used. They should also come packed in recyclable packaging.
Difference Between Regular And Organic Tampons
- Material: Organic tampons are made of 100% organic cotton, and do not contain any synthetic fibers like viscose, polyester, or rayon, unlike many regular tampons. Also, organic tampons come with a special mesh that prevents any fibers from being left behind in your body upon removal.
- No toxic chemicals: Organic tampons are bleached with peroxide, unlike conventional tampons that use chlorine. Organic tampons are free of fragrance, chemicals, synthetics, dioxin, GMOs, or any toxic additives, which are potentially present in conventional tampons.
- Biodegradable: Organic tampons use organic cotton which breaks down easily, and are thus safe for the environment. They also have plant-based plastic applicators or cardboard applicators which are all biodegradable.
- Safety: Organic tampons are hypoallergenic and contain no hormone disruptors like dioxin, which is also a known carcinogen, and may cause infertility.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Eco-friendly and organic tampons can be excellent alternatives to synthetic tampons and pads. However, choosing between multiple options can be quite tricky. Thus, Vibha Navarathna, our in-house writer and reviewer of personal care and wellness products, has reviewed several products listed on various forums and user reviews to compile this list of the finest organic tampons available. She has also added the benefits of using organic tampons and the description of each product, and a buying guide for choosing the right tampon depending on the ingredient, applicator, construction, menstrual flow, and other factors.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are organic tampons better for me?
Organic tampons are made from organic materials and are free from dyes, fragrances, and other materials. However, you should remove the tampons after four to six hours.
2. Are organic tampons better for sensitive skin?
A hypoallergenic organic tampon is ideal for sensitive skin. However, check the label to ensure it is made from certified organic material.
3. Can organic tampons shorten my period?
Some experts say that organic tampons can shorten the menstrual cycle. However, these claims are unproven. But, organic tampons can minimize the irritation.
4. Is it okay to wear tampons every day for vaginal discharge?
No, wearing tampons every day is not a good idea because your vagina may become dry. Tampons can even absorb the essential secretions in the vagina.
5. Can tampons affect hormones?
Yes, some tampons might affect hormones to some extent if they contain EDC, which affects hormonal function (4). However, most organic tampons do not contain EDCs.
6. Are organic tampons leak-proof?
Yes, organic tampons are leak-proof and free from toxins and rashes. However, ensure that you don’t keep the tampon for more than eight hours.
Organic tampons can be a great alternative to chemical-laden ones when you care about the planet and your body. Organic material such as bamboo and organic cotton is safe to use as it is less likely to cause irritation or infections. When looking for eco-friendly options, make sure that the applicator is made from plant-based material. Since organic tampons are available in different sizes, you should choose one depending on your flow. When you consider the material, quantity, and size, be assured that you will find a tampon that’s suitable for you.
Infographic: What Are The Benefits Of Using Organic Tampons?
While pads are usually the first and usual choice for menstruation, tampons are beneficial for heavy flows and to avoid rashes and other issues related to pads. Moreover, organic tampons are chemical-free and can further enhance women’s health safety. Check out the infographic below for several benefits of choosing organic tampons.
- Which Period Products Are Best for the Environment?
- Toxic shock syndrome (TSS)
- Nan Lin et al.; (2020); Volatile organic compounds in feminine hygiene products sold in the US market: A survey of products and health risks
- Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals Found in Menstrual and Genital Care Products Studies Show
- The Facts on Tampons—and How to Use Them Safely.