Keep your little one active and engaged with our list of the best outdoor toys for 3-year-olds. Outdoor toys help improve your child’s endurance, stamina, and hand-eye coordination. They teach them how to use their imagination for creative play. Available in various designs, colors, and features, these toys keep your child away from screens and encourage them to play outside with their friends.
When choosing outdoor toys for your 3-year-old, ensure they are made of child-friendly materials to prevent injuries or choking hazards. So, go through our list to choose a suitable toy.
11 Best Outdoor Toys For A Three-Year-Old
1. Best Sturdy Plastic: Selieve Walkie Talkies
Whatever outdoor game your child plays, a walkie-talkie can add to the fun and safety. This Selieve two-way radio toy package has a transmission range of up to three miles, making it suitable for all of your child’s adventurous games. The set works on four AAA batteries with a built-in flashlight and belt clips to ensure that your child neither loses the walkie-talkie nor themselves during their playtime.
It features 22 built-in channels to assist your comrade in strategizing with the appropriate soldier. You can stay connected to them via a channel of your own. This model is made of sturdy plastic and includes safety features, such as an LCD and a button lock.
- Clear sound with adjustable volume level
- Easy to use
- Ergonomic design
- Batteries not included
- Might connect to different channels
2. Best Easy-To-Assemble: Motoworx Toy Rocket Launcher
Motoworx’s fun foam toy rocket launcher can pique your child’s interest in science. Its foam construction is durable and resistant to wear and tear, making it an excellent outdoor toy for three-year-olds. The set includes eight foam rockets in three different colors.
It has an easy-to-assemble folding stand, which helps shoot up the rocket and teach children the flying dynamics and enhance their STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) development. Your child will be thrilled to watch the rocket soar up 100 feet. The setup does not require electricity or a battery to function, making it ideal for picnics.
- Can withstand endless hours of play
- Adjustable angles
- Easy storage
- Might be lighter than expected
- Might not be suitable for indoors
3. Best BPA-Free: Zen Laboratory Splash Pad Water Sprinkler
The splash pad water sprinkler with three adjustable spray heights is ideal for a fun outdoor activity for your child during the summer. This pad measures 68 inches in diameter and acts as a mini waterpark in your garden. Built for children aged two to ten and those who are yet to learn swimming, this inflatable outdoor toy is a safe choice due to its non-slippery base.
The material is free of BPA and phthalates, making it safe for young children. You can also use it for bathing your dog. It has a compact design and is resistant to wear and tear.
- Easy to fold
- Easy installation
- Quality construction
- May not be suitable for uneven ground
- Water may spill out of the pool
4. Best Eco-Friendly Polymer: BooTaa Airplane Toys
The foam airplane, made of eco-friendly polymer, is easy to assemble and a fun outdoor toy for a three-year-old. It is lightweight, so it does not put too much pressure on their arms even after long hours of play. Insert the wing pieces into the given slots, and your child is ready to use the toy. The toy, available in two colors, teaches your child the abstract concepts of balance and improves their hand-eye coordination.
You can set up the toy in various ways to make it fly in different ways, which will help your child understand the concepts of weight and air. You could let them swing and throw the toy in any direction without the fear of wear and tear. Take a look at this video to know more about the product.
- Dual flight mode
- Safe to use
- Improves critical thinking skills
- No need of batteries
- Includes a one-year warranty
- Might not be suitable for crowded areas
- Some parts may seem flimsy
5. Best For Hand-Eye Coordination: iPlay, iLearn Kids Golf Toys Set
The iPlay, iLearn golf package is an excellent outdoor toy for three-year-olds because it enhances their visual perception and hand-eye coordination. Its game pieces are easy to assimilate and ambidextrous in design. Assist your child in learning to play this sport from a young age while the toy strengthens their limb muscles.
The package includes 15 golf balls, one ball-to-tee trainer, and one putter.
It is easy to carry around and comes in two calming colors. This durable package also includes adjustable handles that you can alter to suit your growing child’s needs. The toy also enhances your child’s STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) skills.
- Suitable for parent-child activity
- Safe to use
- Enhances child’s motor skills
- Might not suit left-handed children
- Might not suit tall children
6. Best Lightweight Construction: Toyk Aqua Magic Mat
The water-themed doodle board is a fantastic wall option and the perfect outdoor toy for young artists. You can use this board to help them develop their drawing skills while transforming them into an outdoor individual. Any drawing on this board has a ten-minute time limit, so your child must work quickly to complete it.
This board helps them develop their observation, hand-eye-coordination, and motor skills. Its compact and lightweight design allows you to use this sheet in your garden or take it to a park. Since the ink-water pens are water-based, you need not worry about their safety.
- Easy to clean
- Enhances kid’s creativity
- Easy to store
- Anti-leakage edge
- Some might find it a bit small
- May take time to dry
7. Best For Concentration: RaboSky Bean Bag Toss Game Toy
The easy toss game toy for toddlers by Rabosky can help improve your child’s balance and hand-eye coordination. The outdoor toy for three-year-olds features fun dinosaur and turtle designs to keep their attention. Your child must throw the bean bags into one of four holes. This toy is ideal for picnics because of its small size.
By assisting children in aiming directly into the baskets, you can help them develop their concentration skills. The bean bags are of the perfect size to avoid straining your child’s still-developing muscles.
- Develops motor skills
- Helps in number recognition
- Lightweight folding design
- Portable handle-bag
- May collapse
- Seams may not be durable
8. Best Long-Lasting Material: ToyVelt Kids Camping Tent Set
The ToyVelt camping kit brings out the best in your child. This outdoor toy for three-year-olds includes all the camping essentials, such as a tent, watch, and thermometer, and will spark children’s imagination. It has a three-in-one flashlight with a compass and whistle to help them learn how to navigate. The miniature tent is easy to assemble and long-lasting.
This kit, which includes a telescope and a walkie-talkie, will bring out the explorer in your child. To get the exploration party underway, all you need is a broad garden and six AA batteries. The collection also includes miniature pretend food accessories to make imaginary camping trips look more realistic.
- Suitable for indoors and outdoors
- Child-safe materials
- Premium quality
- Batteries not included for walkie-talkie
- Walkie-talkie may not have long transmission range
9. Best For Outdoor Play: Advanced Play Fairy Garden Kit
If your child enjoys helping you in the garden, this outdoor toy is ideal. This garden set features a magical cottage inside which they can plant seeds and watch them grow, with a design influenced by fairytales.
The set includes five seed mixes, two soil packets, two pink flower pots, a small shovel, a rake, and a trowel. It also includes miniature chairs, a pink umbrella, and moving doors for the cottage, adding to its charm.
- Develops important STEM skills
- Easy to use
- Develops concentration skills
- Makes children feel connected to nature
- Flowers may take time to grow
- Some parts may seem flimsy
10. Best For Physical Fitness: Aunnitery Toss And Catch Ball Set
Keep your child away from screens with this Aunnitery toss-and-catch ball set. This paddle game is suitable for the backyard, lawn, beach, and park. The disc has durable nylon sticky cloth that holds the ball with ease. This toy can enhance your little one’s physical fitness and help them stay active. It also promotes interaction among the players. The set includes six soft balls, three paddles, and a rear holding strap that is adjustable to suit people of different ages.
- Reinforced plastic disc
- Made of high-quality ABS material
- Comes with a drawstring bag
- Encourages hand-eye coordination
- Ball may bounce off sometimes
- May not be water-resistant
11. Best Compact Design: Sprinkleplay Turtle Sprinkler
Sprinkleplay’s spinning turtle sprinkler is a great way to make summertime more enjoyable. You can start the fun sprinkler party in your garden by simply connecting the hose to the turtle. This cute turtle toy for toddlers includes six colorful sprinkler swing tubes that can shoot up to eight feet of water.
The toy is made of sturdy plastic and has a compact design. As the turtle keeps rotating, the curves formed by the sprinklers can fascinate your child.
- Safe for children and pets
- Easy to use
- Water stream may be unpredictable
- Connection may leak
Things To Look For While Purchasing An Outdoor Toy For A Three-year-old
Here’s a comprehensive guide on what you must consider while purchasing an outdoor toy for a toddler.
1. Durability: Since plastic is lightweight and less susceptible to breakage, it is an excellent option for children’s toys. However, makes sure to buy good-quality toys made of BPA- and phthalate-free plastic.
2. Play type: Purchase toys that encourage coordinative play, pretend play, and solitary play.
3. Safety: Check to see if the toy is safe for your toddler. Consider toys with non-slippery bases, ergonomic handles, and lightweight foam construction.
4. Size and weight: Ensure the toy is in the size and weight range your toddler can handle. Larger and heavier toys are more challenging to play with, and they also pose a risk of injury.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is an experienced writer and reviewer who covers various domains, including kid’s products. She ensures a detailed analysis and review of various products while shortlisting the toys and gifts for children. Here, she has picked some of the most suitable outdoor toys for three-year-olds. These toys help bring out an imaginative side of your little ones while encouraging them for outdoor activities. Priti has also included a buying guide to help you choose the right outdoor toy for your child.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What do three-year-olds like to play with outside?
When outside, most three-year-olds like to play with toys or games that help them learn and explore their creativity, problem-solving skills, the ability to cooperate with peers, and those that facilitate safe experiments (1).
2. Are outdoor toys safe?
Every outdoor toy has a unique set of rules and restrictions. Adhering to them ensures a safe playtime. Make it a point to carefully review the playing rules or dos and don’ts in the product details provided by the manufacturer for an appropriate assessment.
3. Are outdoor toys worth it?
Yes, safe outdoor playsets are worth it, as they enhance the child’s motor skills and kinesthetic experience, encourage them to be active, prevent excessive screen time, and inculcate a spirit of challenge in them, thus making them braver (2).
4. How long do outdoor toys last?
Outdoor toys can last for a few months to a few years based on the quality of the materials and the amount of rough play they witness.
5. Are outdoor toys washable?
Polypropylene foam-based toys may not be washable. Most outdoor toys can be easily wipe-cleaned. Since the cleaning instructions may differ from one toy to another, reading the care instructions provided by the manufacturer can help you be sure.
6. Does a three-year-old kid learn anything from outdoor toys?
Yes, depending on the type of toy, most three-year-olds can learn a lot from outdoor toys, including hand-eye coordination, sense of balance and direction, critical thinking, and STEM skills.
Outdoor toys help keep children on their feet, motivating them to run and have fun. They also increase their physical strength and stamina. Thus, introducing your child to the best outdoor toys for a three-year-old can aid in their proper growth and development. This list comprises outdoor toys that are sturdy, attractive, lightweight, easy to use, and age-appropriate for toddlers. Also, these toys are made of good-quality plastic, are safe, and may be used for different play activities. So explore these toys and choose your child’s favorite.
Infographic: Things To Consider Before Buying Outdoor Toys For Three-Year-Olds
Outdoor toys can help promote social skills and physical activity in three-year-olds. They can keep your child engaged for hours and away from screens. So, follow the infographic below to find toys that can keep your three-year-old active when playing outdoors.
- The Importance Of Outdoor Play For Young Children’s Healthy Development:
- A Young Child’s Perspectives On Outdoor Play:
- Best Outdoor Toys For 8-Year-Olds
- Best Outdoor Toys For Boys
- Best Outdoor Toys For Five-Year-Olds
- Best Outdoor Playsets For Toddlers
- Best Outdoor Toys For 1-Year-Olds