The best outdoor LED strip lights are popular and convenient options for enhancing the appearance and mood of any space due to their vibrant hues. And apart from serving as a decor item, they can be used to illuminate dark places, making them an ideal outdoor lighting solution. Outdoor LED strip lights exist in different lengths and sizes and also come with different customizable lighting modes and colors. As there are numerous options to choose from, here is our tried-and-tested list that contains some top recommendations you can consider for enhancing the ambiance of your space.
Types Of LED Strip Lights
The following are the different types of LED strip lights.
1. DC LED strip light
These lights are powered by a low DC voltage, generally ranging between 12 and 24 V. They have an adhesive on one side with the LEDs and diodes on the other. They are suitable for use on flat surfaces and are versatile enough to be bent, contoured, and cut to suit your needs and wants.
2. AC LED strip light
AC LEDs can be powered directly with your outlet. They are longer, stretching up to 150ft, and wider compared to DC LED strip lights and are suitable options for larger projects.
3. LED rope lights
Contrary to LED strip lights, these do not have an adhesive surface and are enclosed in a waterproof rope. Rope lighting is generally dimmer than other strip lights and is an excellent choice for decoration purposes due to its flexibility.
11 Best Outdoor Waterproof LED Strip Lights
1. Best Outdoor Illuminator:Surnie LED Waterproof Rope Lights
The 150ft long Surnie LED rope light comes with a waterproof rating of IP65, making it a good option for outdoor settings such as your terrace, backyard, fence, courtyard, and porches. The flexible set of LED lights can be cut to the required length to suit any project for any occasion or gathering. It is equipped with two certified power plugs with built-in fuses to keep the lights safe from overheating or short-circuiting. Besides, this set of LED rope lights is available in shades of yellow, blue, and white and comes with a manual, power plugs, and accessory kit.
- Can be used after cutting them
- Flexible and extendable
- One-year warranty
- Heat- and UV-resistant
- Energy saving
- May be blinding to look at
2. Best Multicolor Light Show:Govee RGBIC LED Strip Lights
The smart Govee RGBIC LED strip lighting with built-in IC chips can help display multiple vibrant colors simultaneously for parties or other occasions. The smart light strip is 65.6 feet long and equipped with 5050 LEDs, offering more brightness than traditional LED lights. In addition, you can customize your lighting design in the Govee Home app via the DIY mode. With over 64 scene modes and a built-in high-sensitivity microphone, these multicolor strip lights can enhance any surroundings.
- Bluetooth control
- Upgraded music mode
- Doubles as mood lighting
- Voice control via app
- Segmented color control
- May not be compatible with Google Assistant
- Strip lights may not stick to the surface at times
3. Best Water-Resistant:Charkee Waterproof Outdoor LED Strip Lights
The Charkee RGB LED strip lights come with 30 12V LED lights per meter and have an IP65 waterproof rating, making them safe against water jets and suitable for outdoor use. Whether it is indoors or outdoors, the waterproof lightings blend into your space seamlessly to light up and create a visually appealing space. The strip lights come with six DIY colors, 20 basic colors, adjustable brightness, and eight lighting modes that can be customized using an infra-red remote. To install these LED strip lights, connect the LED belt with the controller and adapter, test the connection, and you are all set to illuminate your space per your needs and wants.
- Includes a 44-key remote
- Non-glaring colors
- Durable 3M adhesive
- Remote may be slightly small
Surnie LED Waterproof Rope Lights
Govee RGBIC LED Strip Lights
Charkee Waterproof Outdoor LED Strip Lights
|Dimensions||600 x 3.84 x 3.84 inches||2.56 x 8.7 x 6.69 inches||6.85 x 6.77 x 2.44 inches|
|Wattage||63 watts||72 watts||-|
|Light Color||Daylight White||-||Multicolor|
|Weight||-||1.85 Pounds||1.04 Pounds|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
4. Best Energy-Efficient:Buyagn LED Rope Lights
Buyagn LED rope lights are available in various lengths, ranging from ten to 150ft, and various colors, including cold white, blue, warm white, multicolor, green, and red. And thanks to the energy-efficient build, they consume just six watts per minute while not compromising on the brightness. These waterproof strip lightings come with installation essentials, ranging from power cords, connectors, and clips to screws. Besides, the built-in fuse reduces the chances of accidents caused by short-circuits.
- IP65 waterproof
- Extendable using a connector
- UL-standard fused plug
- Safe for the eyesight
- Affordable option
- High-temperature and UV-resistant
- May not work when cut and connected
5. Best For Light Sensitivity:HitLights Outdoor LED Strip Lights
HitLights’ UL-certified LED strip light has an IP67 waterproof rating, thus making it a good choice for both indoor and outdoor setups. Further, it has a high display index of more than 90, which translates to more colors and less damage to your eyes when you look at them. So if you are sensitive to bright light, these are an excellent choice. The light comes with a kit to help you install it efficiently, thus reducing the need for soldering or extra tools. It is densely packed with three LEDs per one inch and lasts for up to 60,000 hours.
- Six-year warranty
- High lumen
- Universal applications
- Adhesive tape may not be durable
6. Best Versatile Length:WYZworks LED Rope Lights
WYZworks brings you these LED lights measuring 25ft to 150ft long. The set of rope lights comes with 60 LED bulbs for every one meter. And for convenient usage, the rope light comes with a remote control that allows you to choose from 16 bright colors, seven different light modes, three speed modes, and dimmable choices to get the hue and the brightness that suit you. The rope light is IP67-rated and also ETL-certified for safety.
- Malleable wires
- Universal application
- Dimmable lights
- Easy to customize colors and patterns
- Remote may not be durable
7. Best Expandable:Areful LED Rope Lights
Occasions and gatherings are incomplete without some vibrant and colorful lighting to set the vibe. This waterproof LED light strip is designed to consume less energy at 110 V and can be plugged into any household socket. This outdoor illumination light has 12.4ft strip length, and you can connect up to 12 strips for your DIY projects. Besides, the PVC die casting design makes it waterproof and UV-resistant, and the set features a polarized plug with an electrical eight-amp fuse for safety.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- Heavy-duty build
- Flexible design
- PVC die-casting design
- Light may be bright and not warm as advertised
- May not feature a timer function
8. Best App-Controlled:HotMoon Novostella LED Outdoor Rope Lights
The Novostella smart LED outdoor rope light from HotMoon is a good pick if you love colorful and customizable RGB lighting. You can pick from the 53ft and 105ft long options depending upon your needs and wants. The colors and brightness of the waterproof LED light strip can be customized via the cellphone app or the RF remote control. The lights and power supply are IP65 waterproof rated and are certified for energy efficiency by the ETL. These smart lights run on 24 V DC and are reliably and efficiently built to last up to 50,000 hours.
- IP65 waterproof
- Energy-efficient outdoor lighting
- Mic and music modes
- Certified for safety and quality
- May not be easy to install
9. Best With Ul Certification:Surnie LED Rope Lights
If you are looking for LED light strips in a single color, the Surnie LED rope light is a safe bet. The waterproof LED light strip is 150ft long and is UL-certified for safety. The flexible strip lights run on 110 V and can last you for up to 50,000 hours. It is IP65 waterproof rated, making it safe during mild rains or snow. Moreover, the tried-and-tested strip light kit includes an instruction manual and installation kit for ease of installation.
- Easy to install
- One-year warranty included
- Back-up power plug included
- Dimmable design
- Dimmer has to be bought separately
10. Best Waterproof Design:Novostella Smart Outdoor Rope Lights
Lighting plays a vital role in any party–it enhances the vibe and makes the place even more colorful. This Novostella 105ft strip light set comes with various mode functions that can be controlled using a remote or an app through your mobile phone. The outdoor ambiance lighting has high-quality LED beads enclosed in a safe IP65 waterproof case for safety, and the smart lights are built to last up to 50,000 hours and emit RGB colors vibrantly.
- Music and mic modes
- Includes 16 million colors
- Includes installation accessories
- Adhesive may not stand up to the elements
11. Best Eco-Friendly:Ollrieu LED Neon Rope Lights
The Ollreiu LED neon rope light has a long life span of up to 50,000 hours and is made using an eco-friendly layer of PVC, giving the lights an IP65 waterproof layer that is durable and flexible. The waterproof LED light strip is 150ft long, and it comes with an instruction manual, power adapter, clamps, and screws to help you fix it on ceilings, trees, pillars, and gazebos. You can also pick from a variety of single colors such as deep blue, white, and standard blue to light up your spaces and make them look visually appealing.
- Short circuit-protected
- UL-listed power plug
- Weather-resistant strip lights
- Eco-friendly PVC layer
- Power adapter is not water-resistant
How To Choose The Right Outdoor LED Strip Light?
Consider the following factors when buying an outdoor LED strip light.
- Length: Determine the length of the LED strip lights depending on where you want to mount them. You should also factor in the density of the LEDs, that is, the number of LEDs per meter or foot. Choosing one with a high density can give you better brightness.
- Colors: LED strip lights come in white, bright, or dedicated colors. You can also pick warm and neutral colors or RGB strips based on your preference. Choosing one based on this pointer depends upon the mood and atmosphere you are trying to create. A relaxing atmosphere requires a warmer light, and a party setting requires a brighter light option. Moreover, some color-changing strip lights can add charm to parties.
- Controls: Some strip lights come with remote controls for adjusting the color, temperature, effects, and speed. You can also find options that come with a smart app controller and ones that can be paired with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to monitor and control the lights effortlessly.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah, the author of this article, is a seasoned product writer and reviewer with a keen interest in electronics and household products. He has done extensive research to bring you the best outdoor waterproof LED strip lights that you can use to give a visually appealing look to your home and surroundings. He has not only listed the products along with their descriptions but also mentioned their waterproof levels and the variety of hues they display. Also, he has included a buying guide to help you select the one that suits you the best.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are LED strip lights suitable for outdoor use?
LED strip lights come in two variants – indoors and outdoors. Outdoor LED strip lights have a waterproof protection level of IP65 or above and, at times, an easy-to-clean silicone coating, making them ideal for outdoor use.
2. How long do LED strip lights last?
Most durable LED strip lights generally last up to six years depending on the brand, the upkeep, and the frequency of use.
3. What’s the best way to install LED strip lights?
Most reputed brands provide all the necessary installation accessories, such as zip ties, mounting brackets or clips, screws, and waterproof glue, so that you can arrange the lights as per your desired pattern. You can use an adaptor to match the power supply to the prescribed power requirements.
4. Can LED strip lights be hardwired to a light switch?
LED strip lights can be hardwired to your current power supply; but, being a complex and potentially dangerous task, it’s advisable to seek professional help.
5. Can I put LED strip lights in a pool?
If installed keeping all the safety measures in mind, along with instructions given by the manufacturer, LED strip lights with a water resistance level of IP68 can be used in a pool, sauna, or fish tank.
6. How can I make LED strip lights waterproof?
Carefully encasing the LED strip lights in a silicone coating and sealing the two ends with a silicone-based cap can do the job. A simpler, faster, and safer option would be to use already waterproofed lights.
The best outdoor LED strip lights can transform any space into a visually vibrant one. They come in different designs, colors, and sizes, and the options listed in this article are not only durable and water-resistant but also capable enough to endure the elements in the long run. When choosing one, it is crucial to check the power requirements, lighting effects, colors, and any other features that you might want to consider to enhance the aesthetics of your space.
Infographic: Benefits Of Using LED Lights
The light-emitting diode is brighter than filament lights and can reduce power consumption by seventy to eighty percent. In addition, the power consumption gets diminished due to the junction plates in a LED light. Here’s an infographic to help you learn more about the positives of using LED lights.
- Best Camping String Lights To Brighten The Site
- Best Lanterns For Power Outage
- Best Lantern Flashlights
- Best Black UV LED Flash Lights And Light Bars