Changing a baby’s diapers can be quite a chore. And nothing can be more vexing than waking up in the middle of the night to change the baby’s soiled diapers. Add to it the discomfort that the baby goes through when a dirty diaper is not changed!
Overnight diapers could be the answer to your middle-of-the-night diaper changing woes. They have better absorbency and keep the baby comfortable almost through the night, preventing you from having to wake up at ungodly hours.
11 Best Overnight Diapers
1. Bambo Nature Eco-Friendly Baby Diapers
These diapers are best suited for both daytime and nighttime use. They are eco-friendly too.
- The diapers are made from the pulp of sustainably-grown bamboo. The natural properties make it an excellent diaper for babies with sensitive skin.
- There are no harmful chemicals, added fragrances or odor-controlling chemicals.
- The fabric is soft and breathable, which minimizes the risk of a diaper rash.
- The count of diapers in a pack can be low for a few sizes. You will have to purchase the diaper frequently or stock several packs at once.
- A few parents reported leaks. However, it can be due to wrong size selection and improper fitting.
2. Huggies OverNites Diapers
These overnight diapers come from a brand known for high-quality diapers.
- The diaper can offer up to 12 hours of protection, which is useful if your baby soils heavily.
- The leak-guard protection prevents any leaks even if the baby moves a lot.
- The tabs are strong enough to hold the diaper in place, through the 12 hours of its usage.
- An update in the diaper material has made it a bit less absorbent than before.
- Some parents noticed that the new design is more prone to leaks by morning. However, it can be so when the baby wears the diaper for more than 12 hours.
3. Pampers Baby Dry
Pampers Baby Dry can be used both at daytime and nighttime. It has a higher absorbency than a standard diaper.
- The diaper has three layers of absorbent material when compared to other diapers that usually have two layers. It makes the diaper suitable for 12-hour usage.
- The inside of the diaper is lined with solid gel crystals that absorb the liquid.
- The diapers offer value for money, considering that they are ideal for both day and night use.
- Diapers that are fully soiled tend to burst and release the inner gel outside. The gel is non-toxic though and does not cause problems on skin contact.
- The diapers give off a mild chemical smell.
4. Luvs Ultra Leakguards Diapers
These diapers from Luvs offer good overnight absorbency at an affordable price.
- The diaper has an absorbent core that sponges thoroughly, thus eliminating any chance of leaks.
- You can unfasten the diaper for a quick check and refasten it, without the loss of the adhesive property of the tabs.
- Luvs diapers are available in a wide range of sizes starting from newborn size to size six.
- The diaper emits a chemical smell when compared to other diapers. It can be a concern for a few parents.
- Overfull diapers tend to burst and release the non-toxic gel inside.
- A few parents noticed that the tabs chaff the baby’s skin. The diaper may not be ideal for babies with ultra-sensitive skin.
5. Pampers Swaddlers Overnights
Swaddlers diapers from Pampers offer the right mix of absorbency and comfort at a decent price.
- Each diaper comes with a wetness indicator, which can suggest when the baby may require a change.
- Air channels around the diapers allow the baby’s skin to stay ventilated.
- A quilt-like pattern on the inside of the diaper helps spread the soiling, thus keeping the baby’s skin dry.
- The diaper contains lotions that give out a chemical-like smell, which some parents and babies may find unpleasant.
- There is not a significant difference in the absorbency of the overnight and daytime version of the diapers.
6. Naty by Nature Babycare Diapers
This is an eco-friendly diaper suitable for your baby, especially if they have delicate skin.
- The diaper is hypoallergenic and suitable for babies with delicate skin. The diaper is certified by the Swedish Asthma and Allergy Association.
- It is entirely free from harmful chemicals such as phthalates, dyes, chlorine, and perfume.
- Naty’s diapers are made from biodegradable materials, which make them great for the environment.
- Some parents did not find the quality of the tabs to be good. The tabs are ideal for one-time attachment and do not reattach if opened.
- The diapers may be a bit rough on a baby’s skin. Some parents also complain of leakage, but that could be due to incorrect size selection.
7. Honest Overnight Baby Diapers
Honest is known for making great products for babies. Honest Overnight baby diapers are chemical-free.
- The diapers provide a snug fit. The waistband keeps the diaper in its place without squeezing and tugging.
- Latex, chlorine, or artificial fragrances are not used in making the product. It makes these diapers suitable for babies with delicate or sensitive skin.
- The diapers have a good leak protection feature and can keep the baby dry for up to 12 hours.
- Some parents did not find the diapers suitable for heavy wetters.
- These diapers are a bit expensive when compared to the others in the market.
8. Seventh Generation Baby Overnight Diapers
These overnight diapers are for babies who have delicate skin.
- The Seventh Generation diapers are free from harmful chemicals and compounds. No chlorine, lotions, or artificial fragrances are present in the diapers.
- These diapers have excellent absorbency and are relatively inexpensive.
- Some parents believe the change in the diaper design is causing leakage.
9. Earth + Eden Baby Diapers
These are comfortable baby diapers available at a competitive price.
- The diaper offers excellent absorbency and can keep the little one dry for up to 12 hours.
- No lotions, latex, chlorine, or artificial fragrances are used in the making of the diaper. It makes it safe even for newborns.
- The stretchable waistband adjusts to the baby’s movements, thus maintaining a secure fit all the time.
- A few parents found the diapers to be too thin for heavy wetters.
10. Bumgenius Freetime All-in-one Cloth Diaper
It is the ideal overnight diaper for parents who prefer cloth to disposables. Do not go by the material for the diaper gets the job done pretty well.
- It works like a standard cloth diaper and can be washed easily.
- The diaper has snap-style buttons that are easy to close. There are different rows of snap buttons that help expand the diaper’s size as the baby grows.
- The diaper can support a baby up to 35 pounds (15.8kg).
- The inner lining consists of attached inserts that fold out of the way when removing the diaper.
- The diaper can be large and bulky when compared to a standard disposable diaper.
- The diaper can be used multiple times, but it relatively expensive.
- Cloth diapers tend to develop stains with long-term use.
11. Sposie Diaper Booster Pad
These booster pads increase the soaking capacity of any diaper. You can use it at night or anytime if your baby is a heavy wetter.
- The booster pads fit most overnight and daytime diapers. They can increase the absorbency of the diaper by eight fluid ounces (236ml).
- The pads are free of fragrance, chlorine, and latex.
- There are no adhesive tabs to keep the pad in place within the diaper, thus increasing the chances of the pad shifting from its place.
- Some diapers may not have a snug fit after insertion of a booster pad.
Whichever variety of diaper you choose, you can put them to the best use with the help of the tips we give in the next section.
How Are Overnight Diapers Different?
Changing diapers during the day is manageable since you are awake. But it can be cumbersome during the night when you need sleep. With overnight diapers, you can enjoy the benefits such as:
- Absorbency: Overnight diapers have better absorbency than regular diapers. It lets the diaper last long before the next change.
- Stays at its place: Overnight diapers are designed to remain in place through the course of baby’s sleep. They are likely to have stronger tabs and straps to prevent the diaper from shifting.
- Ventilation: An overnight diaper could offer better ventilation through more number of vents.
Infant diapers that are not labeled for overnight use can also be useful if they offer the features mentioned above. Each diaper brand is unique and so are a baby’s needs. Therefore, it is essential to know how to choose a diaper that suits your baby’s needs.
How To Pick An Overnight Diaper?
Keep the following points in mind when selecting overnight diapers for your baby:
- Fit: Check for the size mentioned on the pack of diapers. A poor fit can lead to leakage.
- Absorbency: Better absorbency is a must if your baby’s diaper is full to the brim in the mornings. If your baby’s diaper gets soiled too soon, then you should look for diapers that keep the skin dry for long hours.
- Materials: If the baby has sensitive skin, then choose an overnight diaper made from all-natural raw materials, minus the chemicals.
Tips For Overnight Diaper Usage
- Minimize liquid intake before bedtime: You can try to limit the baby’s liquid intake to a couple of hours before bedtime. This lets the baby pee or poop just before they go to bed, thereby reducing the need for a middle-of-the-night diaper change.
- Keep the diaper change to the end: Change the diaper only when your baby or toddler is ready to settle in for the night. Toddlers and infants can put off sleep even after you put them in the crib or their bed. Wait for the moment when they are drowsy and then put on the overnight diaper.
Overnight diapers keep the baby comfortable through the night and let them attend nature’s call without having to wake you up. Higher absorbency allows these diapers to last longer than the standard diapers, thus giving you the much-needed sleep and rest at night.
What do you do for your baby to sleep undisturbed by their nature calls? Tell us about it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.