Every parent has experienced their little ones tossing their pacifier on the ground with glee and making a game out of it. So, here’s our list of the best pacifier clips that are durable, strong, sturdy, and can be conveniently clipped to your baby’s clothes for easy access. Without a pacifier, the baby’s high-pitched scream can leave a lasting ringing in our ears. That’s why a pacifier clip is a lifesaver. Clip it to the baby’s clothes and watch them pop it into their mouths whenever they feel like it.
Infant pacifier holders should be made of premium metal or plastic and have a beaded or fabric strap for convenience. For parents, it is a hassle to constantly look for the lost pacifier and wash them after picking them up from the floor.
Belinda Joyce, a midwife, maternal & child health nurse, and author, says, “Pacifier clips can be helpful for parents with babies who frequently drop or lose their pacifier. Pacifier clips should never be used when putting babies to sleep, as they should be supervised at all times when in use.”
With various options available, choosing tried-and-tested pacifier clips trusted by moms and dads can be challenging. So, read on to learn more.
Safety Rules And When To Stop Using A Pacifier
- Never ever leave your baby unsupervised with a pacifier clip.
- When your baby is napping or not in your direct sight, always remove the dummy clip, as there is danger of suffocation or strangulation.
- Check for wear and tear before use, especially if you have washed them. Even the best quality soother clips are prone to wear and tear.
- Never attach them to cords, ribbons, or belts as it can be a potential cause of strangulation.
You are advised to stop using a pacifier when your baby is between four and six months of age. Though it’s common to see older babies still using a pacifier, it has no benefit to them as their innate need to suck and the comfort it provides diminishes around this age. First of all, it interferes with the sleep patterns of 6-month-old babies as if they go to sleep with it in their mouth, they will cry at all odd hours of the night the moment it falls out of their mouth. Pacifiers have been said to reduce incidents of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, but it’s not relevant once the baby is between 4 to 6 months of age— in fact, it has no relevant benefits at all after that age. On the other hand, pacifiers after that age can affect the growth of your baby’s mouth and teeth, resulting in dental and orthodontic problems later in life. But while your baby is still using a pacifier, let’s tell you how to put a pacifier clip on a pacifier.
How To Put A Pacifier Or Teether Clip On A Pacifier
- For a baby pacifier clip that snaps shut, first open the snap and then wind it around the handle of the teether or pacifier. After clipping the other end to your baby’s clothes, close the snap tightly.
- For a loop style teether or pacifier clip, put one end of it through the handle of the teether or pacifier, pull the clip through the loop and tighten it, and then clip it to your baby’s clothes.
- A retractable teether or pacifier clip is basically a loop style clip but has an elastic cord that stretches as required.
13 Best Pacifier Clips
1. Best BPA-Free: Mushie Pacifier Clip Holder – Cleo (Sage)
Introduce chicness into your baby’s life at a very young age with these baby pacifier clips that come in vintage-inspired and neutral colors, and are simple and unique. Quality and care are the hallmarks of this product, so you never have to worry about your baby’s safety while using this clip. This 100% food-grade silicone pacifier clip has wooden beads and comes in a variety of pleasant and gorgeous colors. They pair well with Frigg pacifiers and are loved by both babies and parents. These wooden pacifier clips can be washed by hand with water and mild soap. However, they should be discarded immediately if there’s any damage to ensure your baby’s safety. To find out more about this product, check this video review out.
- Lead-free clasp
- Mold and mildew-resistant nylon
- No sharp edges
- Can’t be washed in a dishwasher or washing machine
2. Best Odor-Free: Dr. Brown’s Advantage Pacifier With Pacifier Clip
A trusted choice for babies between zero and six months, this pack comes with a pacifier clip and two pediatrician-recommended pacifiers with stars, planets, and rockets on them. This symmetrical soother can be put into your baby’s mouth either right side up or upside down, thanks to its reversible bulb. The sturdy and soft silicone bulb stimulates the sucking reflex of your baby because of its rounded shape, and its innovative shield design allows your baby’s delicate skin to breathe and reduces irritation. This is one of the best pacifier clips for newborns with its unique closed-loop design and a strong, durable, rust-proof metal clasp that secures the pacifier to your baby. They are easy to clean in the dishwasher and can be sterilized in an electric sterilizer or microwave.
- Developed by a pediatric dentist
- Water tends to get into the pacifier
"These pacifiers have been a blessing, and I especially like the glow-in-the-dark feature as it makes night-time wake-ups a breeze. The clips are also sturdy, though they tend to trap water after washing. Make sure you dry them well after each wash."
3. Best Lead-Free: PandaEar Baby Pacifier Clips
Available in a pack of 4 beautiful, neutral colors, these pacifier holder clips feature a strong and durable polyester lace loop that can be fitted on all kinds of pacifiers. This universal pacifier clip does not only hold pacifiers but also teething rings, drool bibs, and burp cloths. The food-grade plastic clasp on the strap is strong, durable, and heavy duty while being gentle on your baby’s clothes. The lightweight strap is crafted with one layer of soft polyester fabric that is 1 mm thick, and is durable and hand washable. One of the best pacifier holders and clips, this clip is trusted by moms as it is rust-proof and has no sharp edges, or dangerous small parts that may become a choking hazard. It’s on the shorter side, just 7.9 inches, for sanitary and safety reasons and prevents the risk of strangulation and dragging the pacifier on the ground.
- Free of lead
- No latex
- No harmful metals and chemicals
- Sturdy durable stitching
- Long-lasting digital printing
- Some feel it’s easy to pull off the clip from the strap.
"These pacifier holders are versatile and durable and not only hold my toddler's pacifiers but also some of his small toys. My baby seems to enjoy the cheerful patterns, and I like that they hold up well in the wash."
Mushie Pacifier Clip Holder – Cleo (Sage)
Brown’s Advantage Pacifier With Pacifier Clip
PandaEar Baby Pacifier Clips
|BPA Free Plastic & Silicone
|2 Pack + Clip, Blue Space
|5.2 x 1.6 x 6.1 inches
|6.5 x 4.5 x 0.8 inches
4. Best Washable: Mam Pacifier Clips – Blue
This pack of two pacifier clips with flexible, plastic fasteners and rings is compatible with any pacifier and will fit with a ribbon or with a ring. It clips securely to your baby’s clothes without damaging them and holds both pacifiers and teethers safely so that your baby can’t dirty them by throwing them on the floor, making it one of the safest pacifier clips for everyday use. It also features a high-quality, sliding, and smooth plastic lock that allows you to attach and detach it with one hand. The multifunctional and lightweight pacifier clip by this trusted brand is convenient to use and keeps your baby’s pacifiers, toys, teethers, and accessories secure.
- Conforms to U.S. and European safety standards
- Some feel the ring that clips around the pacifier is rather rigid.
"These pacifier clips are adaptable and functional and have been a huge help to my baby. They are easy to clean, and the secure clip is a plus. I wish they had more design options, but they've been efficient."
5. Best Phthalate-Free: Stadela Baby Pacifier Clip Leash – Western Baby
Crafted with your baby’s safety in mind, this food-grade resin clip is rust-proof with smooth edges and does not fall apart like plastic or metal clips, making it a safe and effective option. The clip holds onto your baby’s clothes without damaging them. The soft and silky, 1 mm thick, and 1-inch ribbon is made of digitally printed, sturdy, woven polyester fabric and uses long-lasting environment-friendly inks, making it one of the best pacifier clips for newborns. The polyester lace loop is durable and the clip, ribbon, and loop together are approximately 11 inches long. These baby pacifier clips are compatible with almost all types of pacifiers and are also great for different kinds of teething rings and teething toys. They are easy to clean and can be both hand-washed and machine-washed.
- Stitching with high tensile strength thread
- Triple stitching for stronger attachment of parts
- Clip is easy to open and close.
- Some may find the clips a little hard to open.
"A staple for keeping toys and pacifiers within reach, these clips are a favorite of mine. They are soft and stain-resistant, and the plastic clasp is safer than metal clasps. It has been decently durable so far."
6. Best Non-Toxic: Dodo Babies Pacifier Clips Set
Treat your baby to the contemporary and stylish designs of these 4 beautiful baby pacifier clips and a pacifier case that is suitable for both baby boys and girls. These mommy-approved clips feature metal clips that can be attached to your baby’s clothes without causing tears in them. They help hold pacifiers, teether toys, and pacifier accessories so that they stay clean and close to your baby. Its loop is compatible with most pacifier brands and fits them securely. Made of high-quality and water-resistant polyester fabric, you don’t have to worry about your baby drooling on them. You can carry these pacifier clips anywhere you want, attached to your baby’s stroller or clothes. This is one of the safest pacifier clips for your baby as it conforms to international safety standards.
- Compatible with most pacifier brands
- Some feel the purple color as shown in pictures is rather gray.
"I am impressed by the security and versatility of these pacifier clips. They are pretty easy to clean, and the added pacifier pouch makes them easy to carry. Just keep an eye out for potential metal rusting over time."
7. Best Versatile: Itzy Ritzy Silicone Pacifier Clip – Blue
Made of 100% food-grade blue silicone cord with braid detailing and a silver metal clip, this cute pacifier clip keeps teethers, pacifiers, and small toys close to your baby at all times and prevents the babies from throwing them on the floor. Among the best silicone pacifier clips of all time, it has a sturdy, durable, and reliable metal clasp that latches onto your baby’s clothes without causing any damage to the fabric. These baby-friendly pacifier belts come in three other colors— pink, mint, and cream. The mint and cream pacifier clips feature elegant silver clasps while the pink one features a sleek rose gold clasp.
- Easy to clean
- Safe to use
- Compatible with most pacifiers
- Some feel its weight pulls the pacifier out of the baby’s mouth
"The silicone pacifier clip is a practical choice for those looking for an easy-to-clean option. It has impressed me with its teething-friendly texture and robust build and has held up well so far."
8. Best Easy-To-Clean: Yoofoss Pacifier Clip – Pink + White
This four-piece set, made of food-grade silicone, is a perfectly safe pacifier clip for your precious baby to chew on. These dad- and mom-approved clips are compatible with most pacifiers and the four different colors are suitable for both boys and girls and ensure that you always have a clean one. The plastic clasp attaches to your baby’s clothes easily and stays in place all the time. As it’s plastic there’s no question of rust and the rounded beads have no sharp edges. The round beads with the polyhedral bead in the middle are perfect for your baby to chew on and give relief to their gums while teething.
- Non-toxic material
- 6 inches long
- Easy to clean
- Good for baby’s teeth development
- Different colors and shapes of the beads promote sensory development.
- Some may find them heavy.
9. Best Durable: Topgomes Pacifier Clip Chain – Black
Extremely secure, these baby pacifier clips won’t detach from your baby’s clothes even if they tug on them. Crafted from 100% food-grade silicone, these clips are incredibly durable. It attaches securely to your baby’s clothing without damaging them and fits most pacifier styles, teething rings, and burp cloths, keeping them off the floor. It’s the perfect length so it doesn’t pose a choking hazard. The plastic teeth of the rust-free stainless steel clasp are so strong that your baby can’t pull it off. Each pacifier clip features a durable and soft cord along with an innovative safety loop that prevents it from breaking and keeps your precious baby safe at all times. Hence, these features make it one of the best silicone pacifier clips of recent times.
- No taste
- Some feel the string attachment could be shorter.
10. Best Rust-Free: Kowlone Pacifier Clip – Beige + Dim Grey
This pack of 2 unisex food-grade silicone pacifier clips fits all pacifiers and teething toys that have a hole to attach them to. It features a plastic clip for strength and durability, and it clasps your baby’s clothes firmly so you never have to worry about your baby dropping their pacifier. These fashionable pacifier clips are easy to clean and can be both hand- and machine-washed. The teething beads are made of soft silicone that is chewable and promotes sensory, motor, and visual development. They massage your baby’s gums and give instant relief from teething pain.
- Some feel the snaps could be stronger.
11. Best Skin-Friendly: Pokipaw Pacifier Clip
This set of six neutral-colored, cute handmade pacifier clips is a popular dad- and mom’s choice product suitable for both boys and girls. Their braided straps have a simple and delicate design in gorgeous colors. It’s compatible with almost all teethers and pacifiers and is made of soft but strong cotton. Being a safe pacifier clip for your baby, it has uniquely designed clasps that are nickel-free and have rounded edges, so that your baby doesn’t get hurt. The clip attaches easily and firmly to your baby’s clothing without damaging the fabric, and ensures that their pacifier is within easy reach and doesn’t fall on the floor..
- Easy to clean
- Hand washable
- May stretch out with time
"These pacifier clips are practical and cute and complement my baby's outfits well. They are also soft and machine-washable, but keep an eye out as they're quite stretchy, which can be a slight risk for very active babies."
12. Best Sturdy: Sugee Store Pacifier Clip
If you are going for style and elegance, this set of 5 baby pacifier holder clips is your go-to with their hand-braided cotton straps in neutral colors and minimalistic design. Suitable for both boys and girls, they attach easily to all pacifiers, drool pads, and teethers, so you don’t have to worry about misplacing them again. The durable and sturdy stainless steel clip holds your baby’s clothes securely even though it’s lightweight. It features smooth, beveled-edged clips that are gentle on your baby’s clothes. About 9 inches long, these pacifier strap holders are very safe for your baby and not a strangulation hazard.
- Easy to clean
- Strong clasp
- The threads may begin to unravel if the baby chews on them.
13. Best Anti-Smell: Care & More Neutral Fashion Leather Pacifier Clip
This set of two clip-on pacifier holders are made of premium leather with a cotton rope and feature a firm metal clip that attaches to your baby’s clothes securely. Their elegant, neutral color and simple design makes them suitable for both boys and girls. Incredibly easy to use, all you need to do is put the cotton rope through the hole or ring of the pacifier, and make a knot by looping the clip and leather through the string. The strong stainless steel clip is rust-proof, and these pacifier clips are compatible with all pacifiers and fit them easily. Easy to clean, they just need to be hand washed with soap water.
- No smell
- No risk of suffocation
- The silver pieces that hold the leather fabric together may come off over time.
"Striking the right balance between style and functionality, these pacifier clips have been a good find. They are lightweight and flexible, keeping my baby's clothes in good condition. They work well for pacifiers and toys."
How To Choose The Right Pacifier Clips?
Now that you have been through our review of the best pacifier clips, let us give you a few tips on what you should keep in mind while choosing a convenient and safe pacifier clip for your precious baby.
- Loop design: The best baby pacifier clips feature a loop design that holds the teething keys or pacifier as they are definitely easier to attach as compared to other options.
- Easy to clean: Baby pacifier clips should be machine washable and should dry quickly as that adds to the convenience when you already have so much going on in your life.
- Weight: Pacifier clips should be lightweight otherwise they get detached from your baby’s clothes easily. Pacifier clips that are weighed down with trinkets and beads are not very practical.
- Safety standards: If the clips do not adhere to safety standards, they can be very dangerous for your baby. They need to follow the same safety standards as those that apply to pacifiers, along length safety standards. Test and ensure that the string, cord, or ribbon attachment is always less than seven to eight inches long so that it doesn’t become a strangulation hazard. Also, trinkets and beads attached to the strap should be ideally avoided as they can be a choking hazard.A braided, rope style strap is a better option. The clip needs to be strong and durable and can be either metal or plastic. But if you do go for metal make sure they are rust-proof. In any case, pacifier clips should always be used under adult supervision, and as a rule, should not be tied to a baby’s crib, around their hand, or neck.
- Neutral colors: Neutral colors are good for no other reason except that they photograph better, and you will be taking a lot of pictures at this stage of your baby’s life. You can also opt for personalized pacifier clips for a sentimental touch. Busy patterns and colors tend to distract you from more important things in a photograph.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are pacifier clips helpful?
Pacifiers are tiny, and the chance of losing them is high. Thus, pacifier clips would be of great help as you can clip them to your baby’s clothing. However, ensure that the clips are not so long that they loop around the baby’s neck.
2. Can a baby choke on a pacifier?
Yes, babies can choke on a pacifier made of different parts. Also, the pacifier’s nipple may pose a choking hazard when it gets detached. Always opt for a one-piece pacifier, and inspect the pacifier for wear and tear each time you give it to your baby.
3. Where should pacifier clips be placed?
The best place to fix the pacifier clips is somewhere near the shoulder. You can attach the clip to your clothes if you are carrying your little one.
4. Is it okay to leave a pacifier in the baby’s mouth while sleeping?
It is safe for bottle-fed babies to sleep with a pacifier in their mouth. However, this is not recommended for breastfed infants aged below four weeks (1).
5. Which pacifier clips are better, metal or plastic?
Metal clips are more durable than plastic, but they may rust. Similarly, plastic metal clips are thick but may break due to chewing. Any pacifier clip that is BPA-free and made of non-toxic material is safe to use.
6. How can I make pacifier clips safe?
Always attach the clip at a spot where your baby can’t chew the handle or mess with it. Pick pacifier clips that are made of non-toxic and safe materials, and ensure that they do not pose a choking hazard. Also, use purchased pacifier clips rather than making something yourself, as these have to meet strict safety standards.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna, a skilled writer and researcher, writes and reviews extensively about baby products. As a mother herself, she understands the concerns and struggles of parents. Hence, she has compiled this must-buy list of the best baby pacifier holders and clips after considering the detailed reviews by customers online and added the descriptions and pros and cons of each product to help you make an informed choice. Furthermore, she has included a buying guide to help you pick the right product and listed the safety rules you should follow when using a pacifier clip.
Infographic: What Are The Advantages Of Using Pacifier Clips?
Pacifier clips are practical accessories that help keep pacifiers clean, close, and easily accessible for infants and parents. With their secure attachment and stylish designs, pacifier clips offer peace of mind while adding a touch of functionality to everyday baby care. Explore the infographic below to discover the benefits of pacifier clips and why you should purchase them.
- Can a Newborn Baby Sleep With a Pacifier?