Your child needs a safe and comfortable space to move around and sleep for their development and growth. So, we have created a list of the best Pack ‘n Play mattresses to help you choose the right one. Versatile and multifunctional, these tried-and-tested mattresses can work as a diaper-changing station, a bassinet, and a playmat. They are easy to use and fold and are portable enough to carry in a bag. These mattresses give your child a soft area to enjoy tummy time or roll around for proper growth.
Choosing the right Pack ‘n Play mattress may be challenging with various options available, and you need to check its durability, breathability, softness, and other factors when buying. Check out our list to know more about some top-recommended options trusted by moms and dads.
11 Best Pack And Play Mattresses
If you’ve been looking for a snug, super-safe Graco Pack and Play mattress for your baby, this is the ideal option for you. Expertly crafted and Greenguard Gold Certified, the foam mattress provides a firm surface for your baby to crawl around yet is soft enough for hours of undisturbed sleep. The binding around the edges is antibacterial and waterproof, so you don’t have to worry about any mold, mildew, or odor issues. Reinforced with a vinyl cover, every inch of the surface is resistant to liquids and stains, which means cleanup is just a matter of spot-wiping with warm water. The three-inch-thick mattress meets the highest flammability standards and has been tested for lead. It also contains no phthalates, toxic, or harmful substances, making it a safe and effective option. Here’s a review video to help you decide on the product based on a tester’s experience.
- 5” x 25.5” x 3”
- Weighs three pounds
- Lightweight mattress
- Rounded edges
- Resists bed bugs
- Supports up to 25 pounds
- May not be ideal for square beds
- May not be soft enough for some children
Transform your baby’s play space with the portable dad- and mom-approved Babelio Pack n Play mattress pad. This innovative four-fold mattress can be transformed into a pack-n-play, mini crib mattress, or a comfortable playmat. Its high-density foam features ventilation holes to create a breathable and comfortable sleeping area, making it baby-friendly. This firm mattress also has a removable zippered polyester cover and a waterproof non-woven lining to keep the mattress stain-free.
- 38” x 26” x 2.4”
- CertiPUR-US certified premium foam
- Versatile design
- Machine-washable polyester cover
- Includes a storage and carrying bag
- Some might find it thinner than expected
- Stitches on the bag may unravel over time
The polyurethane foam-based Hiccapop Pack-and-Play mattress pad offers a safe and comfortable sleep environment for your baby. The mattress features rounded corners and superior edge support for comfort and safety and has a premium zipper with lock-stitched bindings, which makes it durable. The ultra-soft jacquard cover is waterproof, stain-resistant, hypoallergenic, and easy to clean and maintain, making it a trusted choice for moms and dads. Moreover, this tri-fold compact mattress is easy to store and includes a handy carry bag for portability.
- 38” x 26” x 1”
- Lead- and phthalate-free
- Lightweight at just 2.5 pounds
- Odor-, bed bug-, and dust mite-resistant
- Ensures good body alignment and spine support
- Machine-washable cover
- Certi-PUR-US certified foam
- May take a while to expand to its full size
- Corners may not decompress fully
Dream On Me Portable Foam Mattress
Babelio Pack n Play Mattress Pad
Hiccapop Pack-and-Play Mattress Pad
|Color||White/Brown||-||Playard Mattress [Carry Bag Included]|
|Fill Material||Memory Foam||High Density Foam||-|
|Weight||3 Pounds||5.08 pounds||2.5 pounds|
|Dimensions||38 x 25 x 3 inches||38 x 26 x 2.4 inches||38 x 26 x 1 inches|
The OrganicDream pack-and-play mattress is suitable for infants and toddlers. Made of CertiPUR-USA high-density memory foam, this breathable organic mattress ensures a peaceful and sound sleep for your baby. The dual-sided baby-friendly mattress can be flipped to the firm side or the soft side as per the needs of your children. The 1.50-inch thick mattress is an ideal fit for most playards and has an ultra-soft waterproof cover suitable for managing major or minor messes and spills with ease. In addition, the high-quality fabric is machine-washable and stain-resistant for easy maintenance.
- 38″ x 26″ x 1.50″
- Made of 100% organic cotton
- Breathable materials
- Lead- and PVC-free
- Formaldehyde- and toxin-free
- GreenGuard GOLD-certified
- Foam may sink over time
- May have a peculiar smell initially
Soft and delicate on your baby’s skin, this high-density bamboo jacquard mattress is cozy and breathable. The surface is designed with an air-bleed system that facilitates free airflow and keeps the body cool – even during summers. If you’re a family that travels around a bit, this tri-fold and lightweight option will come in handy, no matter where you are. Just pack it up, put it in the case, and you’re good to go! The most appealing thing about this particular mattress has to be the bottom. With anti-skid gripping dots, you can rule out accidental sliding or slipping when your toddler becomes more active and energetic. Cleaning up is no hassle, either, as the playard mattress comes with a TPU waterproof layer that’s easy to remove.
- 38” x 26” x 2”
- Polyester and bamboo blend
- Skin-friendly fabric
- 3D jacquard pattern
- Easy to use, fold, store, and travel
- Ideal travel crib mattress
- Can also be used without a playard
- Comes with a carry bag
- Ideal for newborns
- May not be as thick
- Carry bag may not be suitable for rough use
The winner of the Mom’s Choice award for Best Playard Mattress in 2023 has to be irresistible – and it is! Featuring soft, breathable, and baby-friendly foam, this option boasts the ability to give your child a more cozy, restful, and uninterrupted sleep for long periods. The anti-slip bottom and water-resistant surface are ideal for playtime, ruling out the possibility of accidental spillage or even slipping. In addition to staying put, this folding crib mattress includes high-quality machine-washable covers that don’t shrink and can be easily zipped on or off. The lock-stitch binding of the topper resists liquids and stains, while the tri-fold design tucks away nicely into a portable case.
- 38” x 26” x 2”
- Soft and neatly stitched material
- Adorable star print cover
- Lead- and phthalate-free foam
- Ideal for toddlers above two years old
- Comes with a carry bag with handle
- Cover might expand a little after washing
- Print might fade after repeated washing
This mom-tested mattress pad from Pack ‘n Play works for both newborns and toddlers. On one side, it features firm cushioning recommended for little ones below nine months of age, and on the other, a softer, plushier padding for children nine months and above. You won’t have to spring for an upgrade after your baby grows older, since it fits into any standard-sized playpen and has a waterproof cover. Additionally, the materials used for construction are 100% free of phthalates, lead, formaldehyde, and mercury, making it baby-friendly. As one of the thickest options on this list, this three-inch mattress creates an exceptional comfort zone for your child.
- 38” x 26” x 3”
- Soft jacquard cover
- Certified CertiPUR-US foam
- Hypoallergenic mattress
- May not fit some cribs
This two-inch-thick mom-approved mattress fits perfectly in a Graco Pack ‘n Play for babies without leaving any hazardous gaps around the edges. It’s designed with premium-certified foam and bound in an antibacterial fabric that perpetually protects the mattress from mold, mildew, and unpleasant odors. The ultra-soft jacquard cover serves as a tender and delicate surface for your baby’s skin, and in case of any spilling accidents, it comes off and on as easily as a glove. The tri-fold pack comes with dual sides, one with a level of firmness ideal for infants up to nine to 12 months, and the toddler side other with just the right amount of plush. Meant for easy travel, you can tuck this dual-sided mattress away into its own travel bag to give your little one the comfiest sleep, anytime and anywhere.
- 38” x 26” x 2.5”
- Non-slip safe bottom
- Fits standard pack n play
- Breathable jacquard cover
- Constructed with safe materials
- Suitable for infants and toddlers
- Portable handle
- May not be as thick
- Zipper might not be very sturdy
A luxurious, 3-inch-thick mattress designed to fit standard playpens, this option won’t rouse your baby or toddler with loud, crinkly noises that a lot of covers tend to make. It’s built with all-safe materials that are Greenguard-certified and will keep your child far away from mold and mildew. If you’re worried about an allergic reaction from new fabrics, the cover on this mattress is completely hypoallergenic, not to mention waterproof. It wipes clean with warm water and light soap. With a modern design that caters to parents with newborns as well as toddlers, keeping the safety-tested playpen mattress baby-safe is as simple–you can flip it over depending on whether you need a firm surface or a soft one.
- 5” x 25.5” x 3”
- Free of phthalates and lead
- Noiseless cover
- Greenguard Gold-certified
- Ten year manufacturer’s warranty
- May not be compatible with graco napper changer
- May not be suitable for aggressive jumping
This baby-friendly mattress option is equipped with everything you need along with something extra. Its rounded corners allow it to transform most Pack ‘n Plays and even mini cribs into a comfortable and secure zone. With a memory foam mattress that leaves no indentations on one side and is much softer on the other, you can seamlessly transition from using it for your newborn to toddler over nine months. While the 2.25-inch thickness provides added coziness, the tri-fold design makes it extremely portable for use, just about anywhere. The zippable lock-stitched jacquard covers are easy to remove and toss in a machine, so no need to worry about spills!
- 38” x 26” x 2.25”
- Memory foam
- Fits mini cribs
- Waterproof mattress
- Antibacterial and hypoallergenic
- Prevents mold, mildew, and odor
- Safety-compliant mattress
- Free of BPA and latex
- Some may find it too soft
- May be a little big for sheets
Reinforced with premium, high-density 40 D memory foam and PVC, this mattress by the trusted brand Baby Joy is carefully engineered to support your baby’s back and neck. Whether you’re short on space or are looking for a multi-functional solution, this option is an ideal choice. Lightweight, and easy to carry, it comes with rounded edges that fit perfectly into most standard full-sized cribs and toddler beds. The air-bleed mechanism on the topper facilitates steady airflow, reducing body heat and keeping your baby cool all the time. To make the playpen environment even more comfortable, the covers of the mommy-approved product are designed with a breathable fabric that keeps stains away and doesn’t irritate your baby’s skin.
- 38” x 26” x 3”
- Environmentally friendly material
- Compact size
- Ideal for newborns
- Removable cover
- Skin-friendly fabric
- Portable crib mattress
- Non-toxic and prevents odors
- May not be ideal for children over two years
- May not fit in some cribs
How To Choose The Right Pack ‘N Play Mattress?
- The right size: Your biggest priority should be to ensure that the dimensions of your mattress match the size of your Pack ‘n Play. While most options on the market are constructed to fit a standard playpen, even an inch here and there may render it unusable. Of course, the mattress shouldn’t be bigger than the playard, but it should not be too small, either. Having gaps in the sides can be a suffocation or entrapment hazard for your baby, and in the best cases, lead to a horde of lost pacifiers.
- Soft Vs. firm: When it comes to mattresses for infants and toddlers, soft and plush isn’t always the wisest choice. They can create pockets or indentations that carry the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), especially if your little one rolls over on their tummy. As a precaution, the mattress you pick should be firm enough to maintain its shape without being rock-hard. Find something that strikes a balance between comfort and support. Once your baby grows into a toddler, you can opt for cushions that are on the softer side.
- Material quality: Babies tend to spend a lot of time in cushioned areas, which is why the quality of materials used in your mattress is such an important consideration. Ideally, the Pack ‘n Play topper should contain no phthalates, harsh chemicals, or substances that are toxic or might obstruct breathing in the long run. You can’t really go wrong with organic materials like cotton. Also, you want the mattress to resist water and stains, so that regular washing and cleaning becomes quick and breezy. Finally, look out for binding that prevents mold, mildew, and odor to give your baby a happy, healthy environment.
- Portability: One of the greatest features of a Pack ‘n Play mattress is the fact that it’s lightweight. Most of them easily fold and fit into a carrying case, making it convenient for you to pack it in the trunk of your car and get on the road. These mattresses also function perfectly on their own, so you can spread them out while visiting a friend or relative and put your baby down for a nap. If you’re a frequent traveller, a tri-fold mattress can be the ideal choice for your little one.
Why Trust MomJunction?
We have compiled this list of the best pack n play mattresses that are easy to fold, use, and store. We have referred to various website reviews and picked products with high ratings and useful features. This article also includes a buying guide with the features and dimensions of each product and offers pointers on choosing the right one for your requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can a Pack ‘n Play mattress be washed?
Yes, they can! The majority of Pack ‘n Play mattresses come with a removable cover that can be tossed in the machine and dryer. As for the mattress itself, you can spot-clean it with some warm water. If you pick an option that’s stain-resistant, you can get away with simply wiping it every once in a while and washing the covers on a regular basis.
2. Will a Pack ‘n Play hold a regular crib mattress?
No, a regular-sized crib mattress is too big for a Pack ‘n Play. While the standard dimensions of a Pack ‘n Play are approximately 38” ✕ 26”, the average crib mattress measures around 52’ ✕ 28”. It’s better to get a Pack ‘n Play mattress that is designed specifically for a playpen.
3. What are important safety considerations for a Pack ‘n Play mattress?
Your Pack ‘n Play mattress should be thin, as such mattresses reduce the risk of suffocation. It should be firm as well. Pick a model that has been safety-tested. Lastly, always check and test a new mattress’ stitching and firmness, respectively, before letting your baby use it.
4. Can my baby sleep on a Pack ‘n Play mattress?
Yes, your baby can sleep on the mattress as long as it is firm and placed safely in the safety-approved playpens or playards. Soft mattress can create a pocket, resulting in suffocation.
5. Is the size of the crib mattress the same as the Pack ‘n Play mattress?
No, both the sizes are slightly different. You can not replace a crib mattress with a Pack ‘n Play mattress in play yards.
6. Why are Pack ‘n Play mattresses so hard?
If the mattress is soft, it deforms after being used for a while. Moreover, a soft mattress may develop gaps between the frame and edges, increasing the risk of suffocation.
7. Does a Pack ‘n Play mattress come with a mattress cover?
Yes, Pack ‘n Play mattresses come with a machine washable cover.
A pack ‘n play mattress is one of the most secure places in the house to put your baby when they are in the mood to play, rest, or sleep. These mattresses are safe, versatile, and multifunctional, so you can use them as a diaper-changing station, a bassinet, or even a playmat. When choosing a pack ‘n play mattress for your child, ensure it has the right amount of firmness and is breathable and hypoallergenic to ensure your little one’s safety. It should also be made of high-quality materials and be easy to clean and carry around the house. With the right pack ‘n play mattress at your disposal, you can create a happy, safe, and healthy space for your child, especially during their tummy time.
Infographics: Precautions To Observe When Using Pack’ N Play Mattresses
Play-N-Pack mattresses are a versatile tool to ensure your child has a fun and safe playtime. They are portable, which makes them easy to carry for sleepovers or a day out. Read the following infographic to learn more about the measures you can employ to enhance your baby’s safety when using a Play-N-Pack mattress.
- Home Safety for Infants and Toddlers; Nationwide Children’s Hospital
- Tips for Keeping Infants Safe During Sleep From the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Pack-n-Play Safety Guidelines: