The best paint markers are used to create a plethora of artwork on materials such as metal, wood, stone, plastic, paper, glass, and fabric. Whether it is a creative project for your child’s school or artwork you intend to do in your leisure time, you could use these paint markers. You could also let your children use them, especially if they love drawing and exploring their creativity through art.
To help you choose the best one, we have rounded up a list of some of the best ones you can consider purchasing. We also give you a few tips on choosing one. Keep scrolling.
No products Found
15 Best Paint Markers For Kids
The Artistro acrylic paint markers feature water-based ink that dries quickly. They give an opaque and glossy finish on both dark and light surfaces and are suitable for drawing detailed and fine line works. You may also use them on and other gifts to customize them. Available in a set of 12 vibrant colors, they have sturdy tips that consistently flow on varied surfaces including stone, pottery, metal, canvas, fabric, clay, polymer, and more. Here’s an honest review of the product.
- Comes with a fine tip
- Works well on terracotta pots and smooth rocks
- May not last long
- Cap might require a little gentle opening
This set of paint markers for kids comes with six washable colors in 2.5oz no-spill bottles. They have an easy twist-off cap and offer a solid grip to hold that needs no brushes or cups and causes no mess. They have large sponge tips that never dry out and are brightly colored. Your kids can use them for layering, blending, mixing, and covering large spaces. Here’s a video featuring a detailed review of the product.
- Good-quality product
- Easy to use
- Free of gluten and latex
- Felt tips may tear off with rough use
- Younger children might require supervision while using these
If you are looking for washable paint markers with a wide range of colors, then this classic set of 20 markers could work for drawing, coloring, and artwork. The washable ink will not bleed through paper, and it is easy to remove from the skin and clothing. Moreover, adults can also use them as lettering and faux calligraphy paint markers whenever needed. This video will help you understand the product better.
- Snap closure makes it convenient for kids to use
- Bright and sturdy tips
- Convenient to draw thick and thin lines
- May have a peculiar scent
- May dry out fast
These markers from Crayola have broad conical tips and feature ultra-clean improved formula. The set contains eight color markers that show up vividly on a variety of surfaces. These broad-line markers are easy to wash off from the walls and clothing. They work well for school projects and artwork, as they do not smudge or bleed through the paper. The packaging is handy and convenient to store.
- Easy for kids to grasp
- Works great as a starter kit
- Various colors
- Some feel these dry up quickly
- Some find it a little difficult to wash off from skin
The dual-tipped paint markers come in a nylon zippered pouch that will let your kids’ imaginations go wild. They feature reversible tips that could make bold strokes with a medium 5mm tip or fine lines with a 3mm tip. They give a comprehensive platform to your kid for creating a variety of long-lasting crafts, as they are water-resistant and UV-resistant permanent markers. However, the paint could be washed away with warm water and mild soap if it gets on the skin.
- Some colors like gold has a nice metallic sparkle
- Easy to use
- Bright colors
- Suitable for children and adults
- Some find the flow of paint to be inconsistent
- Some may find the tips clogging with dried paint
Emooqi’s marker set includes 12 vibrant shades suitable for beginners and professionals. It is an oil-based, opaque paint marker compatible with various surfaces, including paper, wood, plastic, glass, metal, stone, and canvas. The colors of these high-pigmented paint markers can help you be creative and bold without worrying about leakage, smearing, and fading. They are waterproof and quick-drying paint markers that ensure your art stays bright and high-quality.
- Non-toxic and odorless
- Offers full coverage
- Environmentally friendly
- Highly pigmented
- Felt from the tips may come off over time
- Some colors may be less fluid than others
For eye-catching watercolor painting effects, these Chalkola brush pens work well. They are odorless and non-toxic colors that come with a nylon brush nib. It includes 28 rich color paint pens, two blending brush pens, and a 15-sheet drawing pad. The fine-textured sheets are great for both dry and wet colors. These color markers are not likely to smudge, bleed or streak, and could be used for sketching, calligraphy, or Manga arts.
- Easy to blend
- Easy to use
- For all age groups
- Some may find it difficult to hold
- Some feel some colors lacked brightness
This set of 18 assorted glitter markers from Inc can write on various surfaces. They are water-based and non-toxic inks suitable for greeting cards, posters, albums, gift cards, and art and craft projects. The rounded tips offer precision while writing and drawing. Just shake the pen, push the tip down on a hard surface, and try until the ink starts to flow. You may start drawing when the tip is full of color.
- Bold tip
- Can be used to write on various surfaces including a ribbon sash
- Easily washable
- Tips can get frayed with regular use
- Some did not find the markers to be long-lasting
The oil-based paint markers are created for students, artists, adults, and professional designers. They are available in 12 vibrant colors made of opaque ink that is non-toxic, odorless, acid-free, and environmentally friendly. The versatile hard tip allows you to draw in small spaces too, and with precision. They can be used on woodcraft, painted rocks, canvas shoes, Easter plastic eggs, Christmas balls, glass jars, and stones and come packaged in a heat shrink film to avoid leakage during transportation.
- Comes in individual packaging
- Bright colors
- Has a consistent and smooth flow
- Some might find issues with leakage
- Might fade over time when used for surfaces like garden tools
The C&Berg watercolor paint markers set could be a beautiful gift idea for kids who have an artistic and creative side. These come in a set of 20 and 40 bright colors and are long-lasting. They are non-toxic, odorless, and acid-free pens that will let your child try calligraphy, draw comics, anime, Manga, mandalas, and more. The set has a water brush and refillable pen along with a special Mandala picture book that would be sent to your email.
- Good quality
- Adjustable for making thin or thick lines
- Blends well
- Some colors may not be well-pigmented
- Brush may have stray strands
The set is available in 12 assorted colors, which could be used on greeting cards, gift cards, homemade cards, and crafts. You cannot use them on glass, metal, marble, plastic, ceramic, and dark surfaces. They come with a premium water-based ink glitter that is of high-quality and super-smooth, adding charm to any artwork. The large ink reservoir of the glitter markers makes them durable for longer than others.
- Sparkly and glittery
- Safe for use
- Easy to apply
- Some mind find inconsistency with the ink flow
- Tip can dry easily if not closed properly after usage
Lelix offers a set of 15 vibrant acrylic paint markers that can be used on any surface. These are all permanent waterproof, non-toxic, acid-free, odorless, environmentally friendly, and UV-resistant paint markers. The 2mm rounded tips make them perfect for drawing both fine lines and large area fillings. They come with a pump-valve system that has an opaque barrel and rubber finish for a smooth flow of the ink.
- Fun and easy to use
- Not messy
- Vibrant colors
- Good for detailing
- Might need to shake them occasionally
- May smudge on certain surfaces
The classroom bulk pack is probably a good buy for classroom activities or drawing competitions. The set has 240 markers in 10 assorted colors with 24 markers of each color. The colors include black, orange, red, yellow, pink, blue, sky blue, green, light green, purple, violet, and brown. They are water-based, non-toxic, and bleed-resistant. The conical tips allow fine line drawing with point strokes and broad strokes when positioned slantingly.
- Suitable for children above three years
- Easy to clean
- Decent color saturation
- Some colors may not be as bright as the rest
- Some might not like the yellow shade of the set
The U.S. Art Supply offers versatile paint markers that can be used as glass paint markers, metallic paint markers, wood paint markers, fabric paint markers, and more. They have extra-fine point tips with valve-action to allow free flow paint on both porous and non-porous surfaces. The quick-drying formula gives a glossy finish on both light and dark surfaces. These are xylene-free paints that are durable and resistant to abrasions, smearing, fading, and water.
- Good for children’s project work
- Paint agitator inside
- Good assortment of colors
- Consistent flow
- Some feel the actual shades do not match those on the caps
- Doesn’t have removable tips
The Inspired By Craft liquid chalk paint markers are known for their vibrant hues and removable inks. They come in a pack of eight pens with 6mm chisel tips that give clean, smudge-free lines. The bright neon paint markers include pink, white, green, red, yellow, blue, orange, and purple. They are water-based, non-toxic, xylene-free, and odor-free drawing chalks that are suitable for arts and crafts projects, home rafts, scrapbooks, message boards, decoration, and organization.
- Suitable for non-porous surfaces
- Easy to clean
- Fun and easy to use
- Some feel these wear out fast
- May take time to get the ink flowing
How To Choose The Right Paint Markers?
You may consider the following points while buying paint markers:
- Long-lasting: Look for high-quality markers that can be used for a long time. They can also save your budget as you need not buy them often.
- Non-toxic: Look for acid-free and non-toxic paint markers that are safe since you cannot monitor your children all the time.
- All surfaces: Markers that could be used on any surface are a good buy. With such multi-surface paint markers, there is no need to buy separate pens for different projects that your child may work on.
- Color sets: Look for broader color options as your child could be creative in trying various shades and combinations.
- Price: Go for a product that is affordable and easy on your budget. You may read the reviews before concluding on a particular brand.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our experienced product writers and reviewers bring you this list of the best paint markers for kids to help with their art and craft projects. We have carried out in-depth research and considered user reviews and ratings to pick products that are long-lasting, safe for children, and versatile. Furthermore, we have also listed the factors you should consider when buying markers for children.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long do paint markers last?
Paint markers come with liquid ink refills that may be prone to drying. Storing the pens upside down and re-capping them after each use can make them last for a year or two.
2. Are paint markers safe?
Yes, markers made for children usually have non-toxic and hypoallergenic ingredients, making them safe. However, you should always read the label for any precautions that may be required.
3. Do paint markers wash off?
Paint markers with a water or acrylic base are not waterproof and can wash off easily. On the other hand, solvent or oil-based marker inks can be difficult to remove or wash off.
4. Are paint markers flammable?
Oil-based paint markers can have flammable chemicals like toluene and xylene, but water-based paint markers are usually safe and chemical-free.
The paint markers mentioned in this list can help your child explore their creative side. These paint markers come in a wide range of colors and are available in most stationery stores. To buy the best paint markers, ensure the colors are long lasting and of high quality. Also, ensure that the ink is non-toxic and will not bleed through the paper. You could also consider buying washable paint markers, which are easy to remove from the skin and clothes.
Infographic: How To Use Paint Markers Safely
Paint markers are a great way to apply permanent colors to surfaces such as paper, metal, and stone. However, taking safety precautions when using these paint markers is essential to protect your child’s health. Read the following infographic to learn how to be creative with paint markers while playing it safe.
- Best Kids Easels
- Best Aprons For Kids
- Best Marble Runs For Kids
- Best Teepees For Kids
- Best Chalk Markers