The best patella knee strap protects the knee and helps you with rehabilitation exercises or workouts especially post knee surgery. The knee can be injured while performing activities or during accidents which can hamper your day-to-day activities. Patella knee straps can be a lifesaver in such an instance.
If your routine exercises, outdoor adventures, or sports performances get impacted by various types of knee injuries, wearing patella knee straps could help. These can bring relief as you move or even perform low-impact exercises. The knee straps also help you walk or jog by reducing knee pain and providing extra support to the knee cap. If you have had a knee injury or are experiencing pain, explore the list of best-selling patella knee straps we have curated below to buy one for your needs.
Types Of Patella Knee Straps
Patella Knee Straps come in a number of types based on the type of injury and type of activity you need to wear them for. Here is a look at the types of Patella Knee Straps available.
- Closed patella knee supports
Closed Patella Knee Supports can cover the kneecap and your entire knee. These knee straps are engineered so that the patella is compressed when you bend your knee beyond 45 degrees so that degeneration of the patellar bone is prevented. Closed Patella Knee straps can also minimize pain and swelling. The “closed” pattern of the knee straps however is not suitable for performing exercises which involve prolonged bending.
- Open Patella Knee Supports
Open patella knee supports also help in reducing inflammation and pain the way closed knee supports do. However open patella supports are made in such a way that the knee cap gets exposed and in turn allows the knee to have full range mobility.
- Hinged Knee Brace
Orthopedic surgeons prescribe hinged knee braces post surgery in order to repair the ligament damage. Such a brace is designed so that it can provide the largest amount of stability as well as protection to the ligament as it begins to heal. Usually a hinged brace needs to be worn for 24 hours a day till the time the ligament has healed completely.
- Knee Sleeve
Knee sleeves include two types of designs— slip-on or slip-off. Such supports work very well when swelling and pain has to be reduced yet full mobility has to be allowed to the knee. Most knee sleeves are constructed from breathable and lightweight material and can be worn under clothing comfortably.
- Knee Strap
Knee straps are patterned in such a way that compression is provided on the patellar tendon so that there is a reduction in knee pain from patella tracking, patellar tendonitis as well as Osgood-Schlatter disease. Knee straps can easily be worn under regular clothing.
- Patellar Tendon Support
Recommended for patients with jumper’s knee, patellar tendon supports are styled to press on the knee cap so that pressure is evenly distributed all across the patellar tendon.
12 Best Patella Knee Straps
The IPOW 2 Pack Knee Pain Relief & Patella Stabilizer in black is a shock-absorbing patella knee strap that provides pain relief to the knee effectively. Featuring a targeted pressure pad, this 2-pack set lets you make adjustments according to the size of your knee and the shape of its curves so that better protection can be supplied to the patella. The segmented fix design is created in a way so that you can feel a difference in the knee pain almost immediately. The strap has a double knot design that lets you tighten the patella knee strap around your painful knee and fits well for a knee size with a circumference of 10-18 inches. This knee patella strap helps provide relief and compression especially if you are suffering from jumper’s knee, in which case you can partake in physical activity without suffering through the pain.
- Easy to wear and take off
- Made using soft and ventilated composite fiber.
- Shock-absorbing–distributes shock evenly to the knee joint.
- Shaped ergonomically and does not let the strap slip off the knee
- Does not cause itching even if you wear it for a long period of time.
- Suitable for playing tennis, soccer, basketball, football, volleyball and other ball games and for running, jogging, cycling, hiking, walking, etc
- The Velcro on the knee strap may become loose after a few hours of wearing it.
2. Best Adjustable: Abco Tech Patella Knee Strap
The Abco Tech Patella Knee Strap is designed to relieve knee pain and improve stability during physical activities, giving you a competitive edge over other participants. The compression knee strap is made of breathable and lightweight material, making it comfortable to wear for extended periods. It features an adjustable Velcro closure, allowing for a customizable fit and support. Additionally, the strap is suitable for people with patellar tendonitis, runner’s knee, and other knee conditions.
- Easy to wear
- Can be worn during various physical activities
- Provides targeted compression
- Can help reduce swelling
- Suitable for all ages
- May be thicker than expected
- May not fit all knee sizes
The Abco Tech Patella Knee Strap in black is a high quality and durable patella strap that can be adjusted around the knee. Made using high quality materials, this patellar tendon strap has a long life and does not cause any itchy or scratching feeling on the skin. This weightless patella knee strap absorbs sweat during workouts and physical therapy and does not let the knee feel slippery or wet. Workouts and other outdoor adventures become painless with this patella support strap as providing relief from pain is the main goal of this strap. Running, biking, walking and hiking are forms of physical activity that you can easily enjoy and participate in despite any knee pain. The strap is curved which lets you adjust it according to the curve of your knee for the right amount of compression and reduced pressure on the patella tendon. As a result of this pain is alleviated and unparalleled support is provided to your knee without any restriction on your range of motion.
- Machine-washable compression knee strap
- Can fit left as well as right knee
- Includes adjustable straps with hook and loop fastener.
- Made using high-quality nylon and neoprene for a lightweight and comfortable strap.
- One of the best patella knee straps for basketball
- The strap may be a little loose on thin legs.
Best Free Size
|IPOW 2 Pack Knee Pain Relief & Patella Stabilizer - Black||Abco Tech Patella Knee Strap||Abco Tech Patella Knee Strap - Black|
|Dimensions||5 x 5 x 0.7 inches||-||-|
|Weight||-||0.13 Pounds||0.09 Kilograms|
|Number of Items||-||-||2|
|Dimensions LxWxH||-||-||6.5 x 4 x 1.5 inches|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
The Run Forever sports Patella Strap Knee Brace Support in black is one of the best patella knee braces for running that also relieves knee pain. This knee patella strap allows you to work out, walk or jog without suffering from knee pain and pressure. The knee strap gives instant relief from pain and is completely adjustable so that tight compression can be achieved at a level that works best for you. The strap curves can be adjusted as per curves in the knee giving you a perfect fit, which in turn, reduces the amount of pressure on the patella tendon. This knee brace makes sure no pain is felt during running and other physical activities. This patella strap for runners’ knees can fit knee sizes of 13.5 to 19 inches and does not come off even when you are walking up the stairs or down an incline.
- Compression fit helps in aligning the patella accurately
- Includes strong Velcro to ensure the strap stays in place
- Adjustable straps ensure there is no restriction of any movement
- Nylon fabric and a neoprene padding provides comfortable support and soft texture
- The stitches on the strap may start coming off in a few days of wearing it.
The Mueler Max Knee Strap in black is ideal for bursitis, knee arthritis, jumper’s knee, chondromalacia, Osgood-Schlatter’s disease, iliotibial band syndrome, patellofemoral syndrome, runner’s knee, patellar tendonitis, subluxation of the kneecap, misalignment of quadriceps and much more. This patella strap is comfortable and lightweight and provides compression that is targeted from the dual strap without reducing your range of motion. Fits knees between 12-18 inches, this patella tendon strap with its breathable mesh fabric and compression tubes targets all the problem areas around the knee. One of the best double knee straps, this Mueller Max knee strap with antimicrobial treatment intends to protect the knee brace against staining, odor and deterioration due to microorganisms and bacteria. You can also check out this review showcasing a tester’s experience to know more about the tried-and-tested product.
- Free size, can fit most knees.
- Can be hand-washed with cold water and detergent.
- Includes breathable mesh fabric behind the knee area, for comfort.
- The strap has rough stitching on the underside that may chafe the skin.
The CAMBIVO Patella Knee Strap in black is designed to fit most sizes and can fit knees up to 18 inches in size. This tried-and-tested knee patella support strap provides pain relief in the knee thanks to the resilient compression pad that absorbs shocks and provides additional support to the knee while working out. The tendon strap is fully adjustable with a double-knot design that reduces pressure on the patella tendon and provides additional support while walking, running and doing other physical activities. With the help of this soft and breathable absorbent knee strap you can regain stability in the knee without any fear of the strap falling off. Among the many features of this patella knee strap, some that stand out include relief from pain due to inflammation, normalization of range of motion in the knee joints, instant strength and stability to the knee, and minimized chances of re-injury.
- Includes a bonus strap for children
- Made using soft and ventilated composite fiber.
- Help improve and maintain proper alignment of the patellofemoral (knee cap)
- Includes 60% SBR (neoprene), 10% Spandex, 30% polyester fiber
- Prevents knee joints from wearing out and removes stress off of knees.
- The Velcro may lead to itching on sensitive skin.
The patella tendon knee strap by Bodyprox delivers balanced support to stabilize the knees when engaging in activities or sports. Place the strap right beneath the patella, and it can help reduce any degree of impact and prevent muscle fatigue or patella injury. You can do any kind of physical activity at your natural pace with this strap and relieve muscle tension. It can also alleviate knee pain while exercising, and you can effectively do more squats or record a longer marathon. The innovative strap also comprises hexagonal ventilation holes to release the building heat, reduce sweating, and maintain an optimal temperature for the muscles.
- Can be adjusted up to 18 inches
- Durable design
- Suitable for knee injury prevention
- Silicone gel padding provides long-term comfort
- Easy-to-use hook-and-loop fastener
- Might stretch after a few uses
The Achiou patellar tendon support strap comes in a pack of two and is made of soft, breathable, sweat-absorbent, and durable neoprene fabric. The round holes in the fabric offer ventilation and regulate the temperature of your skin, while the double-knot design allows you to adjust the strap to your liking. This patellar tendon support strap is the ideal companion to achieve training mastery as it prevents accidental damage and reduces pain from an intense workout. In addition, it provides compression on the patellar tendon, absorbs impact, and uniformly disperses pressure, reducing any kind of discomfort.
- Adjustable up to 18 inches
- Machine washable
- Targeted compression provides support
- Silicone padding adjusts to your knee shape and helps reduce muscle tension
- Suitable for people with tendonitis, arthritis, and other injuries
- May be a bit small for some
- May lose elasticity after repeated use
9. Best For Daily Use: Sleeve Stars Patella Strap
Wear this patella strap by Sleeve Star to reduce pain caused by knee arthritis, jumper’s knee (patellar tendonitis), chondromalacia, Osgood-Schlatter disease, and runner’s knee. It can also be used during daily activities to avoid any kind of discomfort. This tried-and-tested patella strap is available in one size and has three length-adjustable support straps to fit adults and children. The durable, soft, and comfortable patella strap provides optimum flexibility without slipping out of place, and its high-quality Velcro and breathable fabric increase blood circulation without restricting movement.
- Anti-odor technology
- Targeted compression
- Available in different colors
- Might be a little narrow for some people
- Might be a little bulky at the back
10. Best For Pain Relief: DonJoy Performance Webtech Patella Knee Strap
The DonJoy Performance Webtech patellar knee strap is designed for people with patellar tendonitis, Osgood-Schlatter, or any other knee problem. It can also be worn when exercising or playing sports. Its silicone web applies uniform pressure to the patellar tendon for optimum comfort and pain relief while reducing muscle tension. The knee strap measures 4.55 x 8.15 x 1.6 inches and fits properly around your patella due to its contoured top and bottom lines. In addition, the compression-molded back pad evenly distributes pressure to relieve pain or any discomfort on the patellar tendon.
- TPR pull tabs for easy wear and removal
- Reflective strip for enhanced visibility in low-light conditions
- Breathable back pad
- Available in three colors
- Might have some hard corners
- Quality of the Velcro could have been better
11. Best Plus-Size: BraceAbility Patella Tendon Knee Strap
This unisex plus-size tendon knee strap by BraceAbility is made of non-slip, medical-grade neoprene that applies targeted compression to your patella tendon, relieving pain, providing comfort, and helping you achieve training mastery. The durable and lightweight knee strap provides optimum support without restricting your movement. It can be beneficial for relieving pain in people with Osgood-Schlatter disease, tibial tuberosity, knee arthritis, patellofemoral pain syndrome, bursitis, chondromalacia, and other knee problems.
- Non-slip interior
- Fits both left and right knees
- Strong hook-and-loop closure
- Two-inch tall
- Less invasive than a brace
- Might have some rough edges
- Might need tightening at short intervals
The Rebomer Adjustable Knee Brace features a unique strap made using silicone to offer superior level of support as well as impact absorption. Comfortable yet firm compression is lent to the patella tendon and irritation and discomfort is reduced. This adjustable knee patella strap fits knees that have an upper knee size of 14-21 inches and a lower knee size of 12-18 inches in circumference. This knee patella strap provides comfort without compromising your mobility, and the elastic yet breathable fabric gives stability to the knee joints regardless of the activity you participate in. It also absorbs sweat quickly and makes sure your leg remains odor-free and dry so that you can use it for hours on end. It also features flexible stabilizers that reduce stress and relieve any pressure especially during heavy and intense workouts.
- Features a unique silicon strap.
- Includes an 18 month warranty.
- Comfortable and breathable fabric
- Includes two-way adjustments for the most comfortable fit.
- The knee strap may not tighten too much.
How To Choose The Right Patella Knee Strap?
A knee or patella injury can result in certain barriers causing you to avoid activities or change your lifestyle. Patella knee straps come in a variety of options so that you can continue participating in physical activities and sports without bringing your active life to a halt.
- Open vs. closed patella: Patella styles can be open or closed, but both protect the knee and help avoid getting injured again. An open patella knee strap allows comfortable movement while working out and participating in sports. Closed patella supports, on the other hand, provide great stability. When choosing a patella knee strap for yourself be sure about what activity you need it for and the level of patellar compression that will be required.
- Sizing: A knee patella support strap that is bigger in size will not be able to offer the amount of compression you need for immobilizing the knee and preventing re-injury. On the other hand, a smaller patella strap may be uncomfortable and will restrict the blood from flowing freely. Before you purchase a knee strap, make sure you refer to the size guide so you buy a knee patella strap that fits your leg.
- Adjustability: The Best knee brace for patellar stabilization is one that is adjustable so that you can customize the amount of compression that targets pains and aches. Adjustable patella straps feature a number of closure styles like Velcro as well as hook-and-loop systems. Personal preference plays a big role in what closure system you prefer, but remember that Velcro can wear off over time and reduce the effectiveness of the strap.
- Level of support: Patellar knee straps offer support using various amounts of compression that can range from 1, which provides the minimum support to 3:
- Level 1 – Knee supports at this level offer minimum compression. At level 1, knee supports provide little to moderate amount of support while continuing to be flexible enough so that you can achieve full range of movement. One example of level 1 knee support is knee sleeve.
- Level 2 – Level 2 supports offer mild to moderate amounts of stabilization so that relief from patellar tendonitis pain and ligament instabilities is achieved. Wrap-around braces and knee straps are some examples of level 2 supports. This level of support allows some movement but not enough for strenuous sport activities.
- Level 3 – Level 3 supports are made to give the highest level of protection and stabilization. These knee straps are used after a surgery or to help manage severe instabilities. Hinged knee braces often fall in this category of knee supports.
What Are The Benefits Of Wearing A Patella Strap?
Patella straps let you stay active and involved in a sport or any other activity even if you are struggling with a structural knee issue like arthritis or other problems. Here are a couple of benefits in detail that patella straps offer.
Knee problems are common, and your healthcare professional will often advise you to take frequent walks while you are under treatment. Walking is an excellent exercise for rehabilitation from knee problems. Patella knee straps help you take walks during your recovery period and also let you participate in mild workouts without causing much hindrance.
Patellar tendinitis which is also known as jumper’s knee can be very painful and dangerous. However, patellar knee-supports help ensure the patella does not excessively shift laterally.
If you have arthritis, a flexible patella knee strap is often suggested so that pain can be reduced and range of movement can be increased especially among patients who suffer from knee osteoarthritis.
Lastly orthopedic surgeons and doctors also recommend the use of patella knee straps for the treatment of Osgood-Schlatter disease which is a painful condition that commonly occurs in adolescence and results in sharp pain at the top of the shin bone.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Patella knee straps support knee movement that often gets impacted after a knee injury. If you are looking for an easy-to-wear, ergonomic, comfortable, and durable patella knee strap, then our well-researched post should come in handy. Our writers and reviewers have compiled a list of the best patella knee straps and described each product’s features in detail. Our list also includes a buyer’s guide with some frequently asked questions to help you have a hassle-free shopping experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. For which conditions should I wear a patellar tendon strap?
Patellar tendon straps are mostly used for knee conditions like patellofemoral pain syndrome, patellar tendonitis, chondromalacia, runner’s knee, and IT Band friction syndrome.
2. How do I know if I need an infra or supra patellar strap?
Infra straps are used to reduce knee pain that is caused by running or jumping whereas supra patellar straps are used to compress quadriceps musculature. They also have the ability to prevent brace migration.
3. I am wearing a strap and still have pain. What is wrong?
While the patellar strap supports your knee when you are working out or practicing your sport, it does not heal your knee or let it function normally without any medical treatment.
4. Do patella knee straps work?
Patella knee straps help reduce the pain associated with a patellar tendon, especially during sports (1). These adjustable knee bands provide the right pressure to align the patellar tendon with the kneecap.
5. Are patella knee straps good for patellar tendonitis?
Wrapping these straps below the knees applies pressure on the patellar tendon and relieves stress on the tendon to alleviate pain from patellar tendonitis (2). However, these straps can only relieve you from the pain but not act as treatment. You should consult a physician for treatment.
6. Should I wear my patella straps all day?
You can wear your patella straps all day if your physician recommends. But most people prefer wearing them during strenuous activities, such as jumping, running, or walking.
Dealing with the stress and exertion of a workout after knee surgery is not easy, but the best patella knee straps can make the road to recovery relatively smoother. Regardless of the pain’s intensity, a durable and effective patella tendon strap will help you feel supported and make exercises and day-to-day activities less challenging. The best-selling options listed in this article cover various designs and features to help you find your ideal fit. Straps such as the IPOW 2 Pack Knee Pain Relief & Patella Stabilizer enhance stability, while the Run Forever Sports Patella Strap Knee Brace Support relieves pain. On the other hand, the Achiou Patellar Tendon Support Strap is ideal for workouts. While choosing a strap, consider factors such as size, level of support, and adjustability. If you cannot decide on the right strap for you, consult your doctor for a suitable recommendation for your knee condition.
Infographic: What Are The Different Kinds Of Patella Knee Straps?
Whether you have a structural knee problem or knee injury, patella knee straps support your knees, reducing pain and swelling when walking. Check out the following infographic to learn about different types of patella knee straps. The strap types may differ depending on their purpose.
- Effect of patellar strap and sports tape on pain in patellar tendinopathy: A randomized controlled trial
- Knee Pain: How to Choose the Right Knee Brace for Your Child