The best patella knee strap protects the knee and helps you with rehabilitation exercises or workouts especially post knee surgery. The knee can be injured while performing activities or during accidents which can hamper your day-to-day activities. Patella knee straps can be a lifesaver in such an instance.
If your routine exercises or sports performance gets impacted by a knee injury, patella knee straps are what you need to get for yourself. These can bring relief as you move or even perform low-impact exercises. The knee straps also help you walk or jog by reducing knee pain and providing extra support to the knee cap. If you have had a knee injury or experiencing pain, explore the list of patella knee straps we have curated below to buy one for your needs.
Types Of Patella Knee Straps
Patella Knee Straps come in a number of types based on the type of injury and type of activity you need to wear them for. Here is a look at the types of Patella Knee Straps available.
- Closed Patella Knee Supports
Closed Patella Knee Supports can cover the kneecap and your entire knee. These knee straps are engineered so that the patella is compressed when you bend your knee beyond 45 degrees so that degeneration of the patellar bone is prevented. Closed Patella Knee straps can also minimize pain and swelling. The “closed” pattern of the knee straps however is not suitable for performing exercises which involve prolonged bending.
- Open Patella Knee Supports
Open patella knee supports also help in reducing inflammation and pain the way closed knee supports do. However open patella supports are made in such a way that the knee cap gets exposed and in turn allows the knee to have full range mobility.
- Hinged Knee Brace
Orthopedic surgeons prescribe hinged knee braces post surgery in order to repair the ligament damage. Such a brace is designed so that it can provide the largest amount of stability as well as protection to the ligament as it begins to heal. Usually a hinged brace needs to be worn for 24 hours a day till the time the ligament has healed completely.
- Knee Sleeve
Knee sleeves include two types of designs— slip-on or slip-off. Such supports work very well when swelling and pain has to be reduced yet full mobility has to be allowed to the knee. Most knee sleeves are constructed from breathable and lightweight material and can be worn under clothing comfortably.
- Knee Strap
Knee straps are patterned in such a way that compression is provided on the patellar tendon so that there is a reduction in knee pain from patella tracking, patellar tendonitis as well as Osgood-Schlatter disease. Knee straps can easily be worn under regular clothing.
- Patellar Tendon Support
Recommended for patients with jumper’s knee, patellar tendon supports are styled to press on the knee cap so that pressure is evenly distributed all across the patellar tendon.
Top Products From Our List
11 Best Patella Knee Straps
The IPOW 2 Pack Knee Pain Relief & Patella Stabilizer in black is a shock-absorbing patella knee strap that provides pain relief to the knee effectively. Featuring a targeted pressure pad, this 2-pack set lets you make adjustments according to the size of your knee and the shape of its curves so that better protection can be supplied to the patella. The segmented fix design is created in a way so that you can feel a difference in the knee pain almost immediately. The strap has a double knot design that lets you tighten the patella knee strap around your painful knee and fits well for a knee size with a circumference of 10-18 inches. This knee patella strap helps provide relief and compression especially if you are suffering from jumper’s knee, in which case you can partake in physical activity without suffering through the pain.
- Easy to wear and take off
- Made using soft and ventilated composite fiber.
- Shock-absorbing, distributes shock evenly to the joint.
- Shaped ergonomically and does not let the strap slip off the knee
- Does not cause itching even if you wear it for a long period of time.
- Suitable for playing tennis, soccer, basketball, football, volleyball and other ball games and for running, jogging, cycling, hiking, walking, etc
- The Velcro on the knee strap may become loose after a few hours of wearing it.
The Abco Tech Patella Knee Strap in black is a high quality and durable patella strap that can be adjusted around the knee. Made using high quality materials, this patellar tendon strap has a long life and does not cause any itchy or scratching feeling on the skin. This weightless patella knee strap absorbs sweat during workouts and physical therapy and does not let the knee feel slippery or wet. Workouts become painless with this patella support strap and relief from pain is the main goal of this strap. Running, biking, walking and hiking are forms of physical activity that you can easily enjoy and participate in despite any knee pain. The strap is curved which lets you adjust it according to the curve of your knee for the right amount of compression and reduced pressure on the patella tendon. As a result of this pain is alleviated and unparalleled support is provided to your knee without any restriction on range of motion.
- Can fit left as well as right knee
- Includes adjustable straps with hook and loop fastener.
- Made using high-quality nylon and neoprene for a lightweight and comfortable strap.
- One of the best patella knee straps for basketball
- The strap may be a little loose on thin legs.
The Run Forever sports Patella Strap Knee Brace Support in black is one of the best patella knee braces for running that also relieves knee pain. This knee patella strap allows you to work out, walk or jog without suffering from knee pain and pressure. The knee strap gives instant relief from pain and is completely adjustable so that tight compression can be achieved at a level that works best for you. The strap curves can be adjusted as per curves in the knee giving you a perfect fit, which in turn, reduces the amount of pressure on the patella tendon. This makes sure no pain is felt during running and other physical activities. This patella strap for runners’ knees can fit knee sizes of 13.5 to 19 inches and does not come off even when you are walking up the stairs or down an incline.
- Compression fit helps in aligning the patella accurately
- Includes strong Velcro to ensure the strap stays in place
- Designed in such a way so that there is no restriction of any movement
- Nylon fabric and a neoprene padding provides comfortable support and soft texture
- The stitches on the strap may start coming off in a few days of wearing it.
The Mueler Max Knee Strap in black is ideal for bursitis, arthritis, jumper’s knee, chondromalacia, Osgood-Schlatter’s disease, iliotibial band syndrome, patellofemoral syndrome, runner’s knee, patellar tendonitis, subluxation of the kneecap, misalignment of quadriceps and much more. This patella strap is comfortable and lightweight and provides compression that is targeted from the dual strap without reducing your range of motion. Fits knees between 12-18 inches, this patella tendon strap with its breathable mesh fabric and compression tubes targets all the problem areas around the knee. One of the best double knee straps, this Mueller Max knee strap with antimicrobial treatment intends to protect the knee brace against staining, odor and deterioration due to microorganisms and bacteria.
- Free size, can fit most knees.
- Can be hand-washed with cold water and detergent.
- Includes breathable mesh fabric behind the knee area, for comfort.
- The strap has rough stitching on the underside that may chafe the skin.
The CAMBIVO Patella Knee Strap in black is designed to fit most sizes and can fit knees up to 18 inches in size. This knee patella support strap provides pain relief in the knee thanks to the resilient compression pad that absorbs shocks and provides additional support to the knee while working out. The tendon strap is fully adjustable with a double-knot design that reduces pressure on the patella tendon and provides additional support while walking, running and doing other physical activities. With the help of this soft and breathable absorbent knee strap you can regain stability in the knee without any fear of the strap falling off. Among the many features of this patella knee strap, some that stand out include relief from pain due to inflammation, normalization of range of motion in the joints, instant strength and stability to the knee and minimized chances of re-injury.
- Includes a bonus strap for children
- Made using soft and ventilated composite fiber.
- Improve alignment of the patellofemoral (knee cap)
- Includes 60% SBR (neoprene), 10% Spandex, 30% polyester fiber
- Prevents knee joints from wearing out and removes stress off of knees.
- The Velcro may lead to itching on sensitive skin.
The Mcdavid Knee Support Strap in black reduces symptoms of Osgood-Schlatter disease, patellar tendonitis as well as patella tracking. The non-slip buttress in tubular form applies even compression at the patellar tendon so that physical activity like running, soccer, hiking, walking, biking, etc can be uninterrupted. The leg sleeve features a 9 mm Hex Technology which makes it a favorite among collegiate and pro players. This knee patella support strap has extended length so that you get a better fit and additional protection against scratches and cuts. This patella strap for runners is also favored by health care professionals as it reduces pain caused by arthritis, jumpers’ knee, runners’ knee and more.
- Machine-washable and dryable
- Features hDc Moisture Management
- Can fit the left as well as the right knee.
- Made using 100% latex-free 3.2 mm neoprene (CR) free of binding or cover fabric.
- The pressure cushion is elevated, long and narrow which may make it a little uncomfortable.
The Kootek Patella Knee Strap in black has been designed in order to boost the total stability of the knee and to improve any form of patellar tracking by giving mild amounts of pressure on the tendon which is situated below the kneecap. This double knot neoprene strap has tubing sewed into it and has a plastic loop that is used to adjust the strap which fits knees up to 17 inches in size. This knee patella strap also lets you have controlled and flexible movements without any glide and twists so the knee is protected and has a full range of motion. The fabric used in the strap is breathable and lightweight which makes it comfortable enough to be worn all day long. It also features reinforced stitching as a result of which the strap is durable, has smooth edges and skin is scratch-free during physical therapy.
- Breathable and machine-washable
- Helps alleviate knee pain, especially around the knee cap.
- Features a built-in SBR Buffer that prevents accidental damage.
- Fully adjustable strap so that you can adjust as per the size of your knee.
- The strap may have a strong chemical smell.
The KARM Patella Knee Strap in nude beige helps you treat pain around the kneecap area. This patella strap for runners spreads pressure around the kneecap area so that stress is taken away from the patellar tendon. It also works as a knee stabilizer and at the same time provides continuous feedback to the brain so the muscles are on high alert. Risk of re-injury is reduced and full mobility is reinstated with the help of this knee strap which is suitable for men, women as well as children. This patella strap is convenient and light and is a great alternative to bulky knee sleeves and knee braces. This neoprene knee strap has extra padding inside so that sweat is absorbed for comfort during physical activity. The strap also retains heat and increases flow of blood which in turn protects the knee joints and muscles during physical therapy.
- Available in regular as well as plus size.
- Extra inner padding for extra comfort on the inside.
- Suitable for wearing while playing your favorite sport.
- Includes 2 hook and loop fasteners for a custom and adjustable fit.
- Once washed, the strap may stretch and not give the same support as before.
The Cho-Pat Dual Action Knee Strap in black features a patented design that offers support to kneecap and above and below it without obstructing the range of motion. One of the best knee brace for patellar stabilization, this patella knee strap allows for additional strengthening to occur by putting pressure on the tendon right above the kneecap and reducing erosion of the surface under the kneecap. This knee strap designed by orthotists and can be worn for torn PCL, unilateral knee replacement, pain above or below the knee and also during activities like running, walking and climbing up and down the stairs. Inflammation and stress around the kneecap area is reduced and maximum flexibility and comfort is reinstated in the knee joints.
- Available in multiple sizes to achieve the perfect fit.
- Provides support above as well as below the knee.
- Does not stretch or slide down while participating in physical activities.
- Easy to wear and take off, can be worn on top of pants and bottoms too.
- The straps may be smaller than the size mentioned.
The HUEGLO Patella Knee Strap can be worn on bare legs or even on top of your pants to provide relief from pain and stress on the knees. Made using breathable and soft material, this knee patella strap lets you participate in physical activities without dreading the pain and lack of range of motion. This knee patella support strap offers targeted compression which lets tension be released and gives instant relief from knee pain. Featuring the latest technology, this knee patella strap has long life, more durability and is made using high quality nylon and neoprene. This ergonomically designed knee strap also has a silica pad which fits all patella configurations easily and effectively to reduce weakness in knee joints and patella wear and tear.
- Made using a unique latex material.
- Fits knees that are between 12” and 17”
- Reduces inflammation speeds up recovery and promotes blood circulation.
- Provides support while participating in walking, running, yoga, hiking, squats, volleyball, tennis, golf, cycling, etc.
- The strap may be suitable only to provide support under the knee.
The Rebomer Adjustable Knee Brace features a unique strap made using silicone to offer superior level of support as well as impact absorption. Comfortable yet firm compression is lent to the patella tendon and irritation and discomfort is reduced. This adjustable knee patella strap fits knees that have an upper knee size of 14-21 inches and a lower knee size of 12-18 inches in circumference. This knee patella strap provides comfort without the mobility being compromised and the elastic yet breathable fabric gives stability to the joints in spite of the activity you participate in. It also absorbs sweat quickly and makes sure your leg remains odor-free and dry so that you can use it for hours on end. It also features flexible stabilizers that reduce stress and relieve any pressure especially during heavy and intense workouts.
- Features a unique silicon strap.
- Includes an 18 month warranty.
- Comfortable and breathable material.
- Includes two-way adjustments for the most comfortable fit.
- The knee strap may not tighten too much.
Now that we have seen the 11 best patella knee straps in 2021, here are a few important points to consider when choosing one for yourself.
How To Choose The Best Patella Knee Strap?
Suffering from a knee injury can result in certain barriers causing you to avoid activities or change your lifestyle. Patella knee straps come in a variety of options so that you can continue participating in physical activities and sports without bringing your active life to a halt.
- Open vs. closed patella
Patella styles can be open or closed, but both protect the knee and help avoid getting injured again. An open patella knee strap allows comfortable movement while working out and participating in sports. Closed patella supports, on the other hand, provide great stability. When choosing a patella knee strap for yourself be sure about what activity you need it for and the level of patellar compression that will be required.
A knee patella support strap that is bigger in size will not be able to offer the amount of compression you need for immobilizing the knee and preventing re-injury. On the other hand, a smaller patella strap may be uncomfortable and will restrict the blood from flowing freely. Before you purchase a knee strap, make sure you refer to the size guide so you buy a knee patella strap that fits your leg.
The Best knee brace for patellar stabilization is one that is adjustable so that you can customize the amount of compression that targets pains and aches. Adjustable patella straps feature a number of closure styles like Velcro as well as hook-and-loop systems. Personal preference plays a big role in what closure system you prefer, but remember that Velcro can wear off over time and reduce the effectiveness of the strap.
- Level of support
Patellar knee straps offer support using various amounts of compression that can range from 1, which provides the minimum support to 3:
- Level 1 – Knee supports at this level offer minimum compression. At level 1, knee supports provide little to moderate amount of support while continuing to be flexible enough so that you can achieve full range of movement. One example of level 1 knee support is knee sleeve.
- Level 2 – Level 2 supports offer mild to moderate amounts of stabilization so that relief from patellar tendonitis pain and ligament instabilities is achieved. Wrap-around braces and knee straps are some examples of level 2 supports. This level of support allows some movement but not enough for strenuous sport activities.
- Level 3 – Level 3 supports are made to give the highest level of protection and stabilization. These knee straps are used after a surgery or to help manage severe instabilities. Hinged knee braces often fall in this category of knee supports.
What Are The Benefits Of Wearing A Patella Strap?
Patella straps let you stay active and involved in a sport or any other activity even if you are struggling with a structural knee issue like arthritis or other problems. Here are a couple of benefits in detail that patella straps offer.
Knee problems are very common, and your doctor will often advise you to take frequent walks while your treatment is going on. Most of you must know that walking is an excellent exercise for rehabilitation from knee problems. Patella knee straps help you take walks during your recovery period and also let you participate in mild workouts without causing much hindrance.
Patellar tendinitis which is also known as jumper’s knee can be very painful and dangerous. However, patellar knee-supports help treating sports injury by making sure the patella has not excessively shifted laterally.
If you have arthritis, a flexible patella knee strap is often suggested so that pain can be reduced and range of movement can be increased especially among patients who suffer from knee osteoarthritis.
Lastly orthopedic surgeons and doctors also recommend the use of patella knee straps for the treatment of Osgood-Schlatter disease which is a painful condition that commonly occurs in adolescence and results in sharp pain at the top of the shin bone.
Frequently Asked Questions
For which conditions should I wear a patellar tendon strap?
Patellar tendon straps are mostly used for conditions like patellofemoral pain syndrome, patellar tendonitis, chondromalacia, runner’s knee, and IT Band friction syndrome.
How do I know if I need an infra or supra patellar strap?
Infra straps are used to reduce knee pain that is caused by running or jumping whereas supra patellar straps are used to compress quadriceps musculature. They also have the ability to prevent brace migration.
I am wearing a strap and still have pain. What is wrong?
While the patellar strap supports your knee when you are working out or practicing your sport, it does not heal your knee or let it function normally without any medical treatment.
This list of best patella knee straps include a variety of knee patella support straps that can help you rehabilitate better and heal faster. No matter how mind or strong your pain is, patellar tendon straps can make life a little easy, so that you can soon be in a position to workout and run without their support. Choose a patella strap based on the level of support and stabilization you need, so that you end up using the right product in the right way, without causing any further damage. If you feel that a particular patella knee strap is not helping you the way you expected it to, get in touch with your doctor so that they can recommend the best patella knee strap for your condition.