Don’t let the partying stop when the temperature drops! Give your backyard its very own warmer that’ll comfort you and your friends even when the weather turns chilly. Nothing feels more bliss than sitting near a patio heater and watching the winter approach your backyard. These patio heaters will not only keep the area toasty warm but the objects too, so you can enjoy the warmth for a longer time. Available in different types to suit your patio design and space, learn a little more about them before you move on to browsing through the best patio heaters of 2021.
Types of Patio Heaters
There are three main types of heaters that you’ll commonly find in all households. Structured as per the user’s convenience and patio space, they are as following:
- Freestanding heaters: Freestanding heaters are portable and suitable for houses with a large deck or patio. And since they have a sleek and slim design, they barely take up any space and can easily be placed as per the user’s convenience. Freestanding patio heaters mostly work on electricity, propane, or natural gas.
- Ceiling mounted or Umbrella heaters: If you don’t mind splurging a little more, ceiling-mounted heaters or umbrella heaters are great space-saving options. Plus, they are ideal if you have curious little ones or pets in the house. Also, these heaters work on electricity only since they are mounted or hung on the walls. Besides this, umbrella heaters double up as a light source, thus making them ideal for garages and awnings.
- Tabletop heaters: Small, portable, and easy-to-store; tabletop patio heaters are a great option if you want to keep your balconies or small patio areas warm. Also, they work on either electricity or an attached propane tank.
Safety Tips While Using A Patio Heater
Precaution around patio heaters is absolutely necessary, considering they are hot and inflammable objects. Here are some safety tips that’ll help prevent hazardous situations:
- Patio heaters can turn extremely hot at any given time and should be handled with safety gloves or when they cool down.
- Keep children and pets away from patio heaters, or opt for ceiling mountable heaters rather than a freestanding model.
- The heater fuel is highly inflammable and should be stored far away from the heater and the house to avoid the risk of fire.
- It’s extremely dangerous to use an outdoor heater for indoor purposes or vice versa. They are designed differently and should be used, as mentioned in the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Install the heater on clear and stable floors always, to avoid the risk of tipping over.
- Do not keep inflammable objects like chairs or tables too close to the patio heaters.
- Most importantly, switch off the patio heater when not in use; you will not only save fuel but avoid several hazardous situations.
Now that you know the types and safety tips— let’s warm those patios with the best heaters this season. Check out our list of 13 best patio heaters for you:
Top Products From Our List
13 Best Patio Heaters To Warm Up Your Winter Safely!
One of the best ways to keep your large patio warm and toasty is with pyramid heaters or outdoor propane patio heaters. Ideal for restaurant and café as well, this free-standing 91-inches tall heater is easy-to-use and portable with wheels. With the mesmerizing flame making it look more like a stunning piece of art than a heater, watch your patio glow up and stay warm at the same time. Also, it comes with an igniter and a safety valve that automatically shuts off when tilted. Sleek, slim, and a safe option to turn your chilly nights into cozy ones, extend your home into the backyard with one of the best patio outdoor heaters.
- ETL and CSA approved
- Guarantees 40,000 BTU output
- Lasts up to 10 hours with 20lb propane tank
- Durable, lightweight, and easy-to-assemble
- Emits heat in all directions
- Not recommended for harsh winters
Turn your backyard or garden into a party corner with this patio heater that’ll keep you warm even if you are more than 5 feet away! Long-lasting up to 10 hours on a 20lb propane tank, it is also easy to assemble and heats up quickly. Structured with a premium-quality reflector that ensures prolonged usage, the heater is user-friendly and looks no less than an elegant décor, all thanks to the classic mocha finish. And as far as safety is concerned — the patio heater will automatically shut off not only when it is tilted but also when it runs out of gas.
- CSA-certified patio heater
- Made of high-quality stainless steel
- Delivers 48,000 BTU output
- Portable with wheels on one side
- Durable and suitable to use during windy conditions
- Extra screws included to attach the heater base to the deck
- The 20lb tank at the bottom adds stability.
- Bulky and may not be easy to move around
- Not recommended for harsh winters
Multi-purpose and how! This fire pit heater with a portable base is ideal to warm up any corner of your backyard within minutes. A great choice for those who like to have guests over every season, this patio heater also comes with an adjustable table to hold beverages and snacks. Adding an antique look to your backyard with its bronze finish, it is 87-inches tall and comes with a regulator and burner cover too. Want more? It delivers 41,000 BTU output on a 20lb propane tank (not included) and can heat up to 20sq feet area easily! Still, want to give it a miss?
- Long-lasting up to 10 hours
- Designed with an aluminum heat shield
- ETL and CSA certified patio heater
- Ideal for garden, backyard, café, restaurants, fishing area, etc.
- The safety device will automatically shut off the gas when tilted.
Given how taxing it can be to change the propane tank, PamaPic Patio Heater makes it easy with the open-door design. No longer do you have to lift the base of the heater to place the tank. Just open the door, put the tank through, and the task is over within minutes! And that’s not all— the heater quick-starts with one-click ignition, and the adjustable valve allows you to control the temperature as per your need. Made of high-quality stainless-steel and double-mantle heating grid, it also comes with a waterproof and dustproof cover to protect the heater during extreme weather conditions. Super-convenient, isn’t it?
- 88-inches high with 32-inches reflective cover
- Guarantees 46,000 BTU output
- Delivers heat range up to 18sq feet
- Highly-durable, stable, and easy to assemble
- Complimentary fixing option available with screws
- The safety valve shuts off automatically when titled.
- Not recommended to use during windy weather
- It may be noisy.
Let your garden or patio be a part of your get-togethers even when the weather turns chilly! This bronze-finished outdoor propane heater by Dyna-Glo will warm you and your guests with its minimalistic charm. Easy to use with one-step ignition, you no longer have to wear bulky coats to keep yourself warm for longer. And with the wide-angled aluminum-made reflector powered to deliver 48,000 BTU output, consider your fall and winter nights all sorted with your loved ones this 2021!
- Made of high-quality stainless steel
- Offers variable heat control
- Uses 20lb propane tank
- Anti-tilt and safe to use
- Easy to move with a wheelbase
- Ideal for backyard, garden, café, restaurants, etc.
- Placing the gas tank inside the fire pit may get taxing.
More like an artistic piece with dancing flames rather than a heater, this pyramid patio firepit screams luxury. Made of stainless steel and aluminum, but easy to move around all thanks to the wheelbase, this pagoda-inspired patio heater delivers 42,000 BTU output. With the ceramic glass frame tube making the whole experience of watching the flames a fun-filled affair, you can also control the heat with an adjustable knob. Giving your backyard or garden a classy upgrade and promising high-performance, this pyramid patio heater by Belleze will not disappoint.
- CSA-certified heavy-duty construction
- Durable, sturdy, and easy to assemble
- Long-lasting up to 10 hours on a 20lb propane tank
- Easy to ignite with electronic striker switch
- The valve shuts off on tilting, and the safety switch is anti-tilt.
- Not recommended to use during harsh winters
With a thermocouple and easy-door access, this patio heater by Legacy guarantees high-performance and convenience. Delivering 40,000 BTU output so you can enjoy early winter days outside in the backyard, it’s also easy to move with a wheelbase. Igniting on a 20lb propane tank, the flames are no less than bliss to watch through its sturdy glass frame. A minimalistic yet charming piece of structure that’ll only add to your garden’s décor— enjoy some warmth this winter with Legacy’s patio heater.
- Safe and anti-tilt device
- ETL-approved patio heater
- Made of stainless steel
- Durable, sturdy, and easy-to-use
- Includes regulator and variable heat control
- Fade-resistant, rust-resistant, and corrosion-resistant
- Assembling may take longer
- Not ideal for extreme weather conditions
Don’t wait for the chilly weather to freeze your hands while you ignite the heater! This portable device by Fire Sense claims to heat the air around you instantly with its electronic ignition system. Lasting easily up to 10 hours, so you don’t have to worry about changing the fuel often; it delivers 46,000 BTU heat output on a 20lb LP gas cylinder. And since it has a heavy-duty construction and a weighted base, there’s zero chance of it tipping over! Just what you need to enjoy your winter as much as summers, it’s a great option for spacious outdoors.
- Made of heavy-duty stainless steel
- Easy to move with a one-side wheelbase
- Ignites at the push of a button
- Designed with tip-over protection system
- Ideal for the garden porch, backyard, open spaces, etc.
- May not be easy to assemble
- Placing the gas cylinder in the chamber may be a hassle.
- Product link:
Are you looking for a patio heater for indoor use or smaller spaces? Then this one might fit your needs! Without being noisy or boosting your electricity bills, it will heat up to 15 square ft area easily. Easy-to-use with a user-friendly on-off remote control, you can also adjust the angle of the heater as per your convenience. Instantly warming up the room or balcony with a 1500W power setting, it also produces high-quality 5100 BTU heat output. So, if you are looking for a no-hassle, compact, and quick-warming option, then Star Patio Electric Patio Heater is ideal for you.
- Easy to assemble and clean
- Lifespan up to 8000 hours
- Made of premium-quality aluminum
- IP55-certified and cETLus-certified
- Wind-resistant and dust-resistant
- Free from fumes, odor, and chemicals
- Environment-friendly and won’t burn oxygen
- Flimsy remote control
- It’s not suitable for harsh winters.
Is the patio heater taking too long to heat up? Switch to an electric option with Trusttech! Why wait for your food or drink to go cold, when this electric patio heater by Trusttech ensures heating within 3 seconds. Warming up large rooms and spacious areas instantly without using flame, it delivers heat waves at a powerful 1500W. Designed to provide 360 ° heating and with a durable hook to allow easy angle adjustment, it’s one of the most user-friendly patio heaters to have during winters. Also, since it is a ceiling mountable model, you don’t have to monitor it when you have kids or pets around. Give it a try!
- Made of premium-quality steel
- Lightweight and easy-to-assemble
- Mildew and mold-resistant patio heater
- Free from noise, dry air, odor, or chemicals
- Shuts off automatically on overheating or when tipped-over
- Ideal for indoor, closed balconies, garages, dog kennels, etc.
- The no fan-design keeps the allergens and dust out.
- Not ideal for outdoor purposes
Compared to other electric heaters, this is one of the safest options to use around kids and pets. The reason— it has a protective sheath shield on the outside which prevents overheating or heat shocks effectively. Whether you want to mount it on the ceiling or use it with an adjustable tripod stand, it claims to provide even and powerful heating (1500W) even if you are several yards away from the heater. Plus, the carbon-infrared combo produces heat waves that’ll get absorbed by objects easily, thus keeping your room warm for a longer time. Still, want to stick with your old one?
- Heats up instantly within seconds
- Shuts off automatically when tipped over
- Includes easy-to-use remote control
- Noise-free and require minimum maintenance
- Weather-proof, wind-proof and is not affected by drafts
- Environment-friendly and energy-saving heater
- Not recommended for outdoors during harsh winters
Take your heater wherever you go! This portable patio heater is a great choice to make those outdoor parties, balconies, or get-togethers a warm affair. With the infrared heating tube along with aluminum reflector ensuring even and 100% powerful heat in seconds, this device is energy-saving too. Increasing thermal efficiency without boosting the electricity bill, it will warm up large spaces in your house easily. And adding to all this, it offers more convenience with a user-friendly remote control and an adjustable stand. Why skip it?
- Made of premium-quality components
- Ensures quick-heating and noise-free
- Safe and secure with a tip-over switch
- IP65-rated dust-proof and weather-proof
- Ideal for using indoor, outdoor, in garage, restaurants, etc.
- The golden tube is resistant to high temperatures and corrosion.
- The light may be too bright for some.
Lastly, this patio heater that’ll keep you and the objects in your room warm day and night. Given how it is noise-free, ensures overheat protection, and provides comfortable warmth within 3 seconds, it’s ideal for bedrooms too. Also, its best feature— uniform heating! Yep, the golden tube and the premium-quality aluminum reflector work together to create a cozy and comfortable environment for you. Also, it’s a great option to keep your furry friend warm during the harsh winters. Try it this season!
- Wall-mounted heater for indoor purposes
- Produces no odor, dry air, or chemicals
- ETL-approved and powered by 1500W (highest in America)
- Easy-to-assemble and maintenance-free
- Easy-to-use with one remote control and mechanical rocker switch
- IP65 rating dust-proof and weather-proof
- Not ideal for outdoor or harsh weathers
- The light may be too bright.
There you go, those were the 13 best patio heaters that’ll warm up your winter safely. If you need more assistance with buying the right patio heater, read our buying guide below.
How To Choose Best Patio Heaters?
- Space compatibility: Patio heaters are available in different shapes and sizes to suit your needs. They are also available in fuel and electric forms to provide the utmost convenience. So, inspect your patio or room area before purchasing a model. For example— a pyramid patio heater would look obnoxiously huge in a small backyard, and a small heater on the other hand may not provide adequate heat in a spacious backyard. Hence, why space compatibility is extremely vital.
- Heat output: Not all patio heaters may provide the same heat output. So, if you are looking for a patio heater for early winters or moderately cold temperatures, then a patio heater with low heat output should suffice. Also, it will save fuel!
- Hassle-free design: Dealing with a fuel gas cylinder is a risky job in itself, hence choose a patio heater that offers a hassle-free design. Not only will it make the whole process of placing the propane tank easier, but also you wouldn’t need assistance every time you have to change the tank.
- Portability: Let your heat producer travel with you, so you can heat up any corner in your backyard or house without having to stay in one place. Though most of the patio heaters on our list are portable, we recommend you check if they are easy to move, so you can wheel it around without assistance.
- User-friendly thermostat: Choose a patio that offers user-friendly and multiple thermostat options. This will give you the freedom to set the temperature as per your and your guests’ needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are Patio Heaters Safe To Install On Wooden Decks?
Yes, they are, provided there is somebody to monitor them all the time. Since the risk of catching fire is high, you should ideally avoid installing patio heaters on wooden decks.
2. Are Patio Heaters Safe To Install Indoors?
Electric and ceiling-mounted patio heaters are safe to use indoors. They don’t require gas or propane tanks, are easy to operate, and safe to use too.
3. Can I Use My Patio Heater In Windy Weather?
No, we wouldn’t recommend using it during harsh and windy weather. You are not only risking the patio heater to be blown away by the wind but also affecting its components and performance.
Now, who’s ready to experience winter, the warmest way? Make a difference to your winter parties this year by stepping out and enjoying the weather. With these patio heaters promising to give you the utmost warmth and coziness, we bet you’ll want to stay out more this winter! With 13 options for you to explore and choose from, we have both indoor and outdoor patio heaters for you. So, wait no more. Beat the chills with the best patio heater this season!