Harsh lights with uneven tones can sabotage your pictures. The perfect lighting to get good pictures is uniform, soft, and brings out the subject’s vivid colors. You can achieve good lighting by adding a photo light box to your photography gear. It offers a well-balanced light, minimizes shadows and other forms of distortion. If you plan to take photos of small to medium objects such as food platters, small electronics, or jewelry, then a photo light box is essential.
With different light boxes available in the market, picking the right product that offers value for money could be difficult. In this post, we list some of the best photo light boxes you might want to consider.
11 Best Photo Light Boxes
Puluz photo studio box is portable, detachable, and foldable. It is ideal for taking photos of small objects (~ 20cm) with a simple smartphone clicker. There are six colorful backdrops for setting the contrasts as per the product color. It contains a front window and a top hole to meet different shooting demands.
- Shadowless LED light panel
- Contains six color backdrops for multiple artistic effects
- 20-LED light panel provides enough brightness
- Supports horizontal and vertical shooting
- Nylon box may be flimsy
- LED lights may be too glary for some subjects
- Has manufacturer logo inside, which might obstruct some photo angles
This product is ideal for product photography with minimal assembly and a front three-door system for maximum image angles. It is compatible with Amazon Seller App to click photos as necessitated by the Amazon E-commerce requirements. It contains daylight-balanced LEDs for optimum brightness and has a top hole for taking photos from the top view angle.
- Fits various product sizes
- Pre-installed removable bright-white backdrop
- 5600k daylight balanced LEDs with high Color Rendering Index (CRI) for consistent coloring
- Extra light provides directional light modeling
- Hard creases may be left in the background due to creasing during unboxing and folding
- Single-color backdrop option
- Extra light may create shadows for top angle photography
Esddi offers a photo box with adjustable LED lights and silver particulate reflective film that reflects the light evenly and prevents vignetting. It has four color backdrops for different products and is enough for medium-sized products.
- 120 LED lamps adjust brightness gradually
- Dimmer rotary knob adjusts the brightness of the lights
- Multiple openings allow you to choose any shooting position
- PVC color backgrounds (black, white, grey, orange) are easy and convenient to set
- PVC color lining may be prone to creases and lines
- LEDs may cause a glare on the products
- May topple due to its lightweight
Duclus offers a portable photo box with 64 LED light beads and a 5500K temperature. It has a dimmer for adjusting the brightness and the temperature of the lighting for different light conditions. It is foldable and is easy to carry.
- Dimmer knob adjusts the brightness of the lights
- Temperature can be adjusted to white, soft, and warm
- Six color backdrops for different photo options
- Two openings allow different shooting demands
- Small box may not be ideal for larger products
- Cloth background may be visible in a warm light background
- Seams of the box may be visible in the photo
The photo box contains 198 dimmable LED lights for uniform color tone. The inside material is covered in a high reflective silver film for white light diffusion. It has five color backgrounds and two additional paper clips to hold them in place. The overall tent box is water-resistant and easy to clean.
- 198 LED lamps produce a bright light and have up to a 50,000-hour life span
- Low heat-dissipating and high CRI LEDs to prevent vignettes
- Special silver reflective film creates diffused lighting
- Five color backdrops meet different shooting environments
- Has horizontal and vertical shooting windows
- Fabric may be prone to wrinkling while unboxing or disassembly
- Silver finish film may have an unpleasant smell
- LEDs may be prone to flickering
The 24-inch photo light box is ideal for photography of small to medium products. It contains 126 LEDs for lighting with high CRI for natural light effects. The lighting has an additional dimmer for controlling the brightness. The whole box can be folded and packed into a carry case for easy travel and storage.
- 126 5500K LED beads with 4200LM produces a bright light
- Equipped with brightness dimmer for controlling the light
- Special reflective fabric creates diffused lighting
- Six color backdrops for different shooting requirements
- Front and top openings to support horizontal and vertical shooting
- Color backgrounds may not be attached firmly to the back wall
- Power adapter may be fragile
- Internal skeletal support may be weak to support the LED lighting
The kit has a stepless dimmer for the LED lights that are bright with high color rendering index. It has four color backdrops that can be fixed to the top slot easily. The photo tent is held in place by a frame with joints, and the fabric is pre-stitched with zippers for easy installation.
- 13000LM bright LED light with high CRI(>95)
- Equipped with stepless brightness dimmer for controlling the light
- Reflective silver fabric inside for diffused lighting
- Offers four varying photography angles
- Decent 32-inch size box for multiple product photography
- Color backgrounds may not stay firmly attached to the back wall
- Cable connecting the lightbars is short, so light may get concentrated at one place
- Zippers on the fabric may not be durable enough
The small, lightweight tabletop photo box contains two light rows of 70 LEDs to brighten the interiors. It features a ten-level dimmer for brightness control and six color backdrops. The overall photo tent can be set up with a snap-buckle arrangement and dismantled to store conveniently.
- Lightweight and easy to install
- Equipped with ten-step brightness dimmer for controlling the light
- Tripod keeps the phone steady
- Front and top openings support horizontal and vertical shooting
- Lightweight construction may be flimsy and sags
- Snap buckle may get damaged on repeated disassembles
- Whites may seem gray in low light
The mini, easy-to-assemble flashlight box contains two rows of 70 LEDs. It features a dimmer for brightness control and six non-woven fabric color backdrops. The overall photo tent can be set up with a snap-buckle arrangement and dismantled to store conveniently.
- Brightness can be adjusted from 1% to 100%
- Convenient to use in any space
- Six detachable color backdrops for artistic effects
- Enables shooting at multiple angles
- Structure does not hold well
- 15” size may be small for larger products
The portable photo light box is lined with high reflective fabric and contains high-CRI LEDs with a lifespan of more than 50,000 hours. The LEDs also has dimmer for adjusting the brightness of the light. Its clip-type storage design makes it easier to install backdrops in a short time. A sturdy frame for easy installation supports the photo tent.
- 84 bead LED light panel produces 2900 lumen light with 5500K temperature
- Equipped with brightness dimmer for controlling the light from 1% to 100%
- High reflective silver fabric for diffused light
- Six detachable color backdrops
- LEDs may get hot on prolonged use
- Background fabric is silver tinted and may not give a true white background
Made of a unique pop-up design, it automatically pops up after taken out from the package. It is made of special silver reflective fabric, and its 70cm dimensions suit most medium product photography requirements. The product has two rings of ten-inch LED lights. Additionally, it has six color backdrops.
- Easy to install
- Memory wire structure avoids tent collapse
- LEDs rings can be used independently or as a light source
- Three light colors and ten brightness level adjustments
- Phone tripod keeps the phone steady
- Six detachable color backdrops
- Pop up design may require some practice to fold back into a carry case
- Folding design may cause some wrinkles on the background fabric
- Independent ring lights may not provide sufficient brightness
How To Choose The Right Photo Light Box?
Here are some features to keep in mind while buying a photo light box.
- Portability vs. sturdiness: There are light boxes that can be easily folded and put into a carry case. But those light boxes come at a compromise of sturdiness due to lightweight construction. On the other side, there are photo light boxes made of sturdy metal frames, but installation and disassembly may take up some time and effort.
- Internal lighting: The LED lights should be bright, with around 5500K temperature and Color Rendering Index (CRI) of at least 95. The brightness should be high but not glaring. A lighting system of more than 5000lumens offers decent lighting.
- Dimmer and color control: The LED lights have dimmer for brightness control and color temperature control for warm or white lights. These dimmers provide more options for color schemes and product photography.
- Internal reflective fabric: Buy a photo light box with reflective fabric or damper cloth for light diffusion. Matte fabrics tend to absorb light and create a dulling effect on the photo.
Frequently asked questions
1. How do I set up my photo studio box?
Here is how to set up a photo studio box.
- Follow the instructions that come with the light box for setting up the photo tent.
- Arrange LED lights – arrange them in a dispersed manner, as much as possible.
- Keep the photo studio box on a flat surface.
- Power up the LEDs.
- Check for ISO balance on the camera or smartphone and adjust the LEDs’ brightness and color temperature.
- Check whether the background is at the right temperature and color as required for the product.
2. Will my photo box get hot if I use the light for hours?
LED lights are relatively cooler than incandescent lights. After prolonged use due to high brightness and warmer color temperature, the photo box may heat up. If there is any burning smell or abnormal heating, it is recommended to stop the light and check for any faults.
Photo light boxes add a professional flair to product photography. They create good quality photos that can be used for Vlogs, social media, or e-commerce platforms. If you plan to buy one such light box, you can pick one from the list of the best photo light boxes or choose any using the buying guide.