The best placemats are a savior at your dining table. They are not just functional but have an aesthetic purpose. They brighten up your space with colors and protect the table from accidental spills, hot dishes, scratches, or watermarks. However, you will be confused by the variety of designs and colors available.
With a great placemat, maintaining expensive tabletops becomes an easy task. These dining table placemats can set the mood for an amazing dining experience, whether late nights or a formal luncheon. When buying them, ensure they are also easy to clean and maintain. If you are looking out for the right one for yourself, we have a curated selection of the best ones. Pick a placemat that you like the most.
Our Top Picks
15 Best Placemats To Add To Your Dining Table
Simplicity at its best. U’Artlines Placemats are ideal if you are looking for a no-fuss option. These vinyl placemats are easy to clean and maintain. They are anti-slip and the woven PVC material provides good insulation. With over 20 attractive designs, it is almost too easy to find the perfect design.
- The PVC and polyester material is flexible, easy to wash, and quick to dry
- Anti-skid which will help prevent accidents
- More than 20 designs to choose from
- Heat-resistant up to 150° F
- The color is fade-proof, retaining the designs for a long period of time.
- Since the material is woven, it is not completely spill-proof.
It is a fact that children make a mess when they eat, especially when they are just starting to learn to use cutlery. Munchkin silicone placemats are perfect since they not only help reduce the mess but they are also easy to clean. Made from high-quality silicone, these placemats have raised edges that will contain any spillage. Check out this video for a review of the book.
- Comes in two bright and fun colors
- Made from flexible material, the mats are easy to roll, store and carry in the bag
- Being dishwasher-safe, cleaning them is not time-consuming
- The material is BPA-free, which makes them safe to use for kids.
- The edges are raised to help restrict the mess to the mat.
- May be thinner than standard placemats
Is a sitdown meal an everyday affair in your home? Then placemats may become an unavoidable addition to your table and Bright Dream Placemats might just be the solution you are looking for. The classic woven design makes these placemats aesthetically appealing as well as practical.
- Made from a blend of 70% PVC and 30% PolyesterAvailable in sets of different numbers allowing you to purchase the ideal one according to the size of your dining table and members at home.No-fuss cleaning, dirt and grease can be easily washed or wiped with mild soap and water.
- The material does not leave scratches on the table.
- The design and color do not fade easily which helps maintain the “new look” for a long time.
- May not be completely anti-skid
Round placemats are all the rage today. This simple deviation from the usual rectangle provides an opportunity to get creative with table decorations. SHACOS placemats have an elegant braided design which is perfect for date nights and dinner parties. With a diameter of 15 inches, you can comfortably place a dinner plate and cutlery on these mats. Here’s a brief review of the book to help you decide.
- Made from a blend of polypropylene and cotton making them a durable option
- Maintenance is easy as these mats can be hand washed and air dried
- Perfect for everyday use
- The large circumference provides protection over a larger area of the table.
- Since they are made from cotton, the placemats are not waterproof.
The holidays can be a stressful time to host dinners – the catering, the decor and the cleaning up. Benson Mills Pressed Vinyl Placemats can be an effortless way to embellish your dinner table. Made from 100% vinyl, these placemats are easy to clean which makes them perfect for parties. They come in 13 tasteful designs leaving you spoiled for choice.
- The vinyl material is easy to wipe down.
- The wide variety of designs allows you to find the perfect one to suit the desired occasion.
- While they are sturdy, the mats are flexible as well making their storage easy.
- May not be suitable for everyday use
Add a rustic touch to your dining experience with placemats from DACHUI. These woven placemats come in 3 sophisticated colors giving mealtimes a ceremonial aura. Being heat and stain resistant, they are ideal for everyday use. As these mats are made from quality PVC and polyester, they are easy to maintain and long lasting.
- Creases can be rectified by soaking them in warm water
- Comes in 4 and 6-piece packs
- The soft material may not leave scratches on your table.
- Being anti-slip, they may be used on smooth-surfaced table tops as well.
- The PVC and polyester makes them durable.
- These mats may not be entirely spill proof.
Au naturel is sometimes perfect. The DII placemats are made from 100% five ply cotton. Ideal for everyday use, the place mats have ribbed texture to hold your dishes in place. The large choice of color schemes can enable you to find the right ones to match your place setting.
- Come in a choice of 28 colours
- As they are made from cotton, they are eco-friendly.
- Being machine washable, they are easy to wash and dry.
- The ribbed finish helps keep china and other smooth dishes in place.
- May be prone to stains upon spillage.
SUNSHINE FASHION placemats incorporate two important qualities required in the best placemats— practicality and attractiveness. Made from 70% PVC and 30% polyester, the material is soft and useful to avoid scratches on your table. They are packaged flat which ensures you receive them free from unseemly creases.
- Fairly heat-resistant allowing you to place warm dishes on them
- The PVC material is highly durable.
- The placemats come in 16 attractive designs.
- The synthetic material is easy to clean with a simple wipe using soapy water or a mild cleaner.
- The set consists of 4 mats which may not be suitable for larger families.
Cleaning up, especially after a tiring day, is hard. This doesn’t mean you should eat over the sink! With Alpiriral placemats, cleaning will be a no-fuss activity. Made from high-quality EVA and PU material, these placemats are completely waterproof. You wouldn’t need to worry about heat marks on your tabletops as the mats are heat resistant up to 180°F.
- The smooth material may be cleaned with just a few wipes.
- With options of 4, 6 and 8 set mats, you may choose just the right number you need.
- These placemats are waterproof which makes them suitable for all ages from, toddlers to adults.
- Not dishwasher safe.
Vinyl placemats are incredibly popular (particularly because they are waterproof). These placemats definitely made the cut and are amazing for daily use or special occasions. GENNISSY placemats are made from thin yet durable vinyl which blends into the table seamlessly. They are heat resistant up to 248°F which will help protect your table from heat damage.
- Comes in 2 unique and elegant designs
- Highly resistant to heat and is perfect for everyday use
- Damage to tables due to accidental spills can be avoided as they are waterproof.
- The sleek design allows it to almost blend into the counter/table top.
- May not be completely non-slip.
Unique, chic, and long lasting— the perfect description of IMMOKAZ Placemats. Made from textured PU, they add a touch of finesse to your dining experience without compromising on functionality. The premium PU material offers your table an insulation from heat and avoids scratches to its surface. As an added bonus, they are also easy to clean and quick to dry.
- Fairly heat resistant allowing you to place warm dishes without causing damage to tabletops
- The unique design also comes in 4 stylish colors.The PU materials make them waterproof.
- The soft material reduces the clinking noises made by glass and ceramic dinner sets.
- The package contains only a set of 4 table mats.
Appearing for a second time on our list, these Benson Mills placemats are sure to add a touch of boho-chic to your dining table. Made from high-quality polypropylene, you can get a faux- woven look along with easy maintenance. The simple yet classic design makes these placemats perfect for all types of crockery, from elegant china to contemporary ceramics.
- May be used for indoor and outdoor dining
- Cleaning and maintenance is fairly easy
- Come in 13 wonderful colors
- The soft material protects your table top from stains and scratches.
- May not be heat resistant to high temperatures
Busy schedules allow little time for a sitdown meal and cleaning up after. While we can’t do much about the schedule, the cleanup can be made easier. Sayopin Placemats are well-suited for daily use and can help avoid unnecessary messes during meal times. Made from a blend of polyester and PVC, the woven design catches crumbs which can be cleaned up afterwards with ease.
- Come in 6 attractive colors
- May personalised by cutting to different sizes to suit specific needs.
- The placemats are heat-resistant up to 176°F
- Being waterproof, the mats can be easily hand washed.
- They are fairly flexible allowing them to be stored or transported easily.
- Since it is woven, there may be seepage of liquids on to the table.
If you are looking to add a rustic feel to your dining ambiance, look no further. These cotton placemats from Sweet Home Collection give your mealtimes a warm and cozy feel. They are made from top-quality cotton with a two-tone color scheme and they pair well with wooden tables.
- Easy to maintain as they may be machine washed and also ironed to clean out the creases
- They are eco-friendly as they are woven from 100% cotton.
- These placemats come in 11 homey colors.
- May not be efficient at heat resistance
We end our list with how we began, with simple and classic placemats, this time from Familamb. They offer 6 understated designs which will complement any decor. The PVC material allows the mats to not only repel water but also be non-slip. They are resistant to heat up to a temperature of 176°F and protect your table tops from damage.
- The material is a mix of PVC and polyester which makes the placemats easy to wash and quick to dry.
- It is fairly flexible and durable making it ideal for daily use.
- It protects your table tops from heat up to 176°F.
- It is anti slip which provides a certain amount of grip to your dishes.
- Not machine wash-friendly
Now that you have a comprehensive list of the best placemats online, all that is left to do is find the ones which are best suited to your needs.
How To Choose The Best Placemats?
How do you know what type of placemat is right for you? What are things to keep in mind when you are buying them? Hopefully, the following points will help you buy the perfect partner for your crockery.
- Size: The size of placemats is definitely an important factor and would rely on functionality and convenience. Take into consideration the size of your table before you purchase placemats. The placemats should be big enough to hold plates, cutlery, and glasses, but not so big as to overcrowd the table. Make sure to leave some extra space around the placemat so that the dining table doesn’t look cluttered. Smaller placemats may be used for everyday needs while the larger, more standard sizes might be ideal for parties and formal occasions. Smaller sizes may also be convenient when you don’t use a lot of dishes. Then again, larger placemats would be more suitable for messy situations (slurping ramen is a messy business).
- Shape: Dining should be a tranquil experience, a time when you can relax and enjoy your food. Placemats are an underrated contributor to the ambiance. While historically, they came in rectangular or circular shapes, today placemats come in various other wonderful shapes as well that could make your china pop!
- Design: It may not be the most important criterion, but choosing a type of design could be an opportunity to flex your inner creativity. Placemats come in a plethora of colors and designs. Although there is no hard and fast rule for what designs to buy, we would recommend you purchase them to match your crockery as well as your dining table. You could also go the extra mile and choose a color scheme that compliments the decor of your room. Avoid stark contrasts that could clash with your dining ensemble.
- Material: The material of placemats is perhaps the most important factor to consider before you make your purchase. The most common ones available are silicone, PVC, and natural fabric. Leather and wood placemats are amongst the rarer variety. The synthetic options are easy to maintain, hardy, and come in an assortment of designs. Fabric placemats, usually made of cotton, jute or linen, have a rustic feel and also provide better insulation to your table-top, in addition to being eco-friendly. The collection of hard placemats includes cork and wood; while they absorb heat the best, they are also often bulky.
Bonus tip: Keep in mind what type of tabletop you own. Opt for softer materials to go with glass tops and polished wood to avoid scratches.
- Usage: How often do you use placemats? Do you host many dinner parties? Do you have little tykes who are learning to use cutlery? Regular or everyday usage would require a set of durable placemats, that are easy to clean and easy to store. Similarly, kid’s placemats should also have the same attributes, which will allow you to clean them up with ease and efficiency. When you host dinners (formal or otherwise), plush fabric placemats could be ideal as they are elegant and natural. As an added bonus, guests tend to try their best not to spill, so you wouldn’t have to worry about washing out the stains.
If you don’t wish to be bound by uniformity, another option to consider would be to choose a combination of placemats; mix and match for your dining table or your kitchen.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedesto Chirhah is a highly talented writer who writes on home essentials and technology products. He conducted extensive research and studied user feedback on various products before compiling a list of the finest placemats to beautify and protect your dining table. He also included product specifications and a shopping guide to help you pick the perfect placemat based on your preference of size, shape, design, material and answered some common queries regarding placemats.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are all placemats non-slip?
No. Anti-slip placemats have soft grooves or notches on the bottom side which create friction with the table rendering them hard to move. These are most commonly seen in synthetic ones, like in silicone placemats.
2. Can all placemats be used indoors and outdoors?
Depends. Synthetic placemats are usually waterproof which make them perfect for outdoor use as well as indoor. Fabric and leather placemats may be used outdoors but will need to put away immediately after use.
3. Can all placemats be machine washed?
No, only fabric placemats may be machine washed. Many of the synthetic ones may be washed in the dishwasher. The best practice would be to read the maintenance instructions on the packaging and clean it as directed.
A messy dining table can be an eyesore in your home and make your dining experience unpleasant. Thus, you need placemats that embellish your dining table and keep it clean and stain-free. The options listed here are super-easy to maintain, with most of them featuring an anti-slip base that ensures your plate stays in place. These are especially useful in homes with newborns and toddlers as they can take some of the chaos out of mealtime and make it a meaningful experience for the family.
- Best Placemats For A Round Table
- Best Placemats For Toddlers
- Best Baby Bath Mats
- Best Silicone Baking Mats