Keep your child safe while playing with our list of the best playpens for babies. Playpens offer a protected place for your baby to sit and play comfortably. It is a safe place where your baby can play with their toys or take a nap while you finish your chores. The playpen restricts your baby’s movement to prevent them from running around and hurting themselves.
Available in different designs, these are foldable, making them easy for you to carry anywhere. To know more, take a look at our list of products to choose the right one.
What Is A Playpen?
A playpen is an enclosed space within which the baby can play with their toys. This area is typicallymarked by a plastic grill closure or a mesh closure so the baby can be seen from outside.
A crib or a play yard, on the other hand, is a relatively smaller enclosure. It can also be a place where the baby sleeps. Since it is smaller than a playpen, the baby might not be able to play in it for long.
16 Best Baby Playpens
1. Best Easy-To-Clean: Graco Pack ‘n Play On the Go Playard, Pasadena
If space is an issue for you, you can opt for this foldable and transferable play yard. It even has its own storage bag. You can watch this video to understand how the Pack ‘N Play works before buying.
- Easy to clean
- Easy to store
- Ample ventilation
- Suitable for newborns and toddlers
- Changing table may be too low
- Might be a little flimsy
2. Best Foldable: Joovy New Room2 Portable Playard
This humongous play yard occupies over 10 square feet of space. But even with its large size, it is easily foldable and portable. Not sure if this is the right fit for you? Check out this video to understand how the playard works.
- Suitable for twins
- Machine washable
- Comes with wheels
- May be a little wobbly
- Some might find it difficult to set up
3. Best With Rocking Seat: Graco Pack ‘n Play Playard with Cuddle Cove Removable Rocking Seat
This comes with a changing table and a removable rocking seat, making it a multi-purpose product. Ideal for infants and toddlers, this playpen is also easy to clean with soap and warm water.
- Removable rocking seat with vibrator helps baby sleep
- Bassinet also comes with a gentle vibrator
- Changing station makes changing clothes or diapers easy
- Play yard and baby bassinet come with built-in storage shelves
- Ideal for infants and toddlers
- Easy to clean with soap and warm water
- Changing pad may not be sturdy enough
- Foam padding may be prone to more wear and tear
4. Best Weather-Resistant: Summer Infant Pop N’ Play Portable Playard
It has adequate space for the baby and is easy-to-carry for the parent. This collapsible metal frame play yard has space for two kids and is extremely easy to fold.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor play
- Weather-resistant canvas floor
- Sturdy frame
- Comes with fully-assembles metal frame
- May have some sharp edges
- Netting may not be adequate
5. Best Versatile: BabyBjorn Travel Crib Light
It looks like a play tent but works like a crib. This travel cot is easy to set up just about anywhere, so your baby remains busy while you enjoy the company of your friends.
- Removable and washable crib fabric
- Soft mattress keeps the baby comfortable
- Ample ventilation
- Easy to fold
- Mattress may not be thick enough
- Mattress cannot be connected to the frame
6. Best Brake-Enabled: Baby Trend Lil Snooze Deluxe 2 Nursery Center
This nursery center lets your baby take a nap anytime, anywhere. And when it is time to play, your little one can play in the comfort of their own little space.
- Comes with a removable bassinet
- Baby napper contains plush hanging toys
- Nursery center can be transformed into a playtime center in a jiffy
- Wheels come with brakes for added safety
- Folds compact and fits into the storage bag for hassle-free transfer
- May not be suitable for smaller rooms
- Changing table may not be suitable for older babies
7. Best Adorable: Delta Children Play Yard, Fun in The Jungle
This cute and spacious play yard has a jungle theme. Its mesh walls are painted with see-through images of jungle animals. The baby can play and rest in their own private jungle.
- CPSC and ATSM-approved
- Mesh walls included for supervision
- Simple to set up
- Includes mattress
- May be difficult to fold
- Sides may be difficult to lock while using
8. Best Convertible: Graco Pack ‘N Play Quick Connect Playard
The Graco Pack ‘N Play Quick Connect Playard is loaded with plush fabric, making it comfortable and cozy for the baby to sleep. Moreover, this playpen can be converted into a bassinet and a full-sized playard.
- Three in-built storage compartments
- Easily portable
- Large changing station
- Integrated wheels
- Instruction manual may be too confusing
- May not fit through doorways
9. Best Large-Sized: EIH Large Baby Playpen
Bring home the EIH Large Baby Playpen to create a large dedicated space for your baby to be physically active and play to their heart’s content. With dimensions of 79 x 59 x 27 inches, it can easily accommodate three babies at the same time, allowing your baby to engage in group play.
- Comes with an ocean ball pit and 100 ocean balls
- Made of quality Oxford fabric
- Features net sidings
- BPA-, lead-, and phthalate-free
- Comes with four TPR suction cups
- Does not include mat
- Zippers may not be durable
If space around the house is not a constraint for you, this massive baby gate and play yard can become your darling’s favorite spot. Its 2-in-1 model makes it worth the money.
- Tool-less assembly
- Suitable for hallways and angled openings
- Sturdy and durable design
- Folds flat for easy storage
- Consists of plastic parts
- Requires you to buy the mattress separately
If you are looking for a simple fuss-free play yard that suits your budget, then have a look at this one. It is spacious and easy-to-use.
- Lightweight and easy to setup
- Convenient folding with the quick squeeze latch
- Two wheels for smooth and easy movement
- Mesh walls for better visibility
- Travel bag included
- Instructions to assemble may be difficult to understand
- When assembled, the play yard may be a little wobbly at times
You can use this play yard by Regalo indoor and outdoor. This eight-panel play yard ensures safety with an all-steel frame and reinforced stitching. The frame includes a safety lock preventing it from being closed while your children are playing.
- Nylon bottom to protect your child from rough surfaces
- Simple fold-and-go design
- Removable pad for a soft feel
- Ventilated mesh wall for proper aeration and visibility
- Legs may not be durable enough
- Reinforcements may not be adequate
No matter where your child prefers to play, this 8-panel play yard can ensure his safety. It can take any shape to suit your needs.
- Comes with easy-to-set-up pre-connected plastic panels
- Suitable for all surfaces, both indoors and outdoors
- Weather-resistant panels take any shape
- Easy to clean with soap and water
- Skip-resistant rubber pads offer stability
- Includes a carry strap for easy transfer
- May have sharp edges
- May not be safe for older babies
If you are looking for a pretty pink play yard for your baby, have a look at this Disney play yard. Its pink and black theme gives it a classy and attractive look.
- Spacious play yard with a sturdy frame
- Organizer provides extra space for storage
- Comes with an easy-to-clean and removable changing table
- Toy arch with hanging toys keeps the baby engaged
- Comes with a travel bag for convenient storage
- Wheels ensure easy movement
- Available in a variety of color themes
- Some might find it a bit heavy
- Netting in the playpen may not be durable enough
If constant bending to fetch your baby is taking a toll on your back, have a look at this nursery center. It comes with a flip-away changing table so changing diapers becomes easy and comfortable.
- Fully removable bassinet
- Canopy comes with a toy hanging loop
- The detachable changing table comes with a one-hand locking mechanism
- Music center plays sweet nature sounds
- Washable with soap and mild water
- Canopy may be a bit flimsy
- Can be difficult to fold
The Gupamiga playpen creates a dedicated space for your little one to have fun or take a nap while you’re busy.
- Panels come with anti-skid rubber pads
- Height of the fence enables the baby to walk and move easily
- Activity wall consists of multiple mental development games
- Lightweight body, easy to put together, and easy to fold and store
- Odorless, non-toxic, and BPA-free
- May not be suitable for babies over 11 months of age
- Molding may be too thin
What To Look For In A Playpen?
Babiesperceive a playpen as their happy or safe place. It becomes their private space and personal playground. Here are a few features essential for a playpen.
Safety: There can never be any compromise when it comes to the safety of babies. The playpen has to be steady and secure. Check for rounded edges and smoothened surfaces that are gentle to a baby.
Portability: The playpen should preferably be lightweight, foldable, and easy to store so that you can travel with it when needed. If it is a play yard with a crib, then it can have lockable wheels for ease of pushing.
Sturdiness: The playpen’s frame should be firm and unshakable so that the baby’s movements do not ruin it.
Toy arch: A playpen with an arch containing hanging toys is quite likely to make the baby excited and increase the fun factor.
Now that you know what to look for in a playpen, let’s steer towards the best playpens or play yards available in the market.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Having understood the struggles of finding the perfect playpen for your little one, we’ve scoured several products before rounding up the best playpens for babies. We have considered factors like easy storage and cleaning, materials, and comfort so that you can, with the help of a playpen, create a safe and secure space for your child to play and sleep in. We have also listed pros and cons and looked at user reviews before compiling our list.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is a playpen necessary for babies?
Playpens are necessary for crawling babies to restrict their movement. These offer a safe space for babies to play and allow adults to do their chores. However, if you are in a position to monitor your baby all the time, a playpen may not be necessary.
2. Are Pack ‘N Plays worth it?
Yes, Pack ‘N Plays provide your little one with a safe space to sleep. These are easy to move from place to place and are travel friendly. They can be used for play, and some even have diaper changing stations, making them multi-purpose.
3. Can a baby sleep in a Pack ‘N Play without the mattress?
No, it is not safe or comfortable for a baby to sleep without a mattress. Most Pack ‘N Plays come with a mattress.
4. At what age do babies need a playpen?
When your baby is ready to crawl and actively move, you can start using a playpen. Generally, babies start to crawl between five to seven months.
To choose the best playpens for babies, consider their safety aspects since the primary purpose of a playpen is to keep the baby safe within the given space. Hence, ensure that the product is sturdy, durable, and can be easily moved. Further, opt for playpens that are easy to clean, sufficiently ventilated, and comfortable enough for the baby to sleep in. If you have twins or two toddlers, you could opt for bigger playpens that can easily accommodate two babies.