Having twins is double the fun but it’s also double of everything else as well, which at times can be rather overwhelming. But there are options available that can make this task a bit easier for parents and fun for your babies. So instead of having 2 bassinets, cribs, and playpens for your twins , you could just go for a playard which will basically look after most of the requirements of your twins.
Things can get rather chaotic with twins in the house and a playard provides your little munchkins with a safe and fun environment. It also restricts their movements, thereby giving the tired parents a much needed break. And the best part is that it’s portable so you can take it anywhere you want. We hope our review of the 11 best playards for twins will help you find the best and safest option for your precious babies.
Our Top Picks
Baby Safety Tips
- The playard needs to meet all safety standards and the label should mention that it’s certified by theJuvenile Products Manufacturers Association or JPMA.
- The sides of the playard should be at least 20 inches high.
- If the playard has mesh, the holes shouldn’t be more than ¼ inches so that toes, fingers, and buttons don’t get caught. The mesh should be checked regularly for tears.
- The top of the rails should be padded to avoid nasty bumps.
- The mattress or pad should be 1-inch thick and firm.
- If the side can be lowered, the locks should be out of reach of your babies and should lock automatically when raised.
- Supports and hinges should be well protected.
- Check all padded parts and the base of the playard for wear and tear regularly.
- Never use soft pillows or bedding in the playard.
- Don’t ever leave your babies in the playard with the side lowered.
- Put your babies on their backs while sleeping.
- Don’t place the playard near windows that have cords hanging from the blinds or curtains, as toddlers can get it around their neck.
- Don’t tie toys from the sides of the playard or your baby can tip over in trying to reach them.
- Don’t replace the padding or mattress of the playard, as it might not fit well and your baby can get caught between the mattress and the side of the playard.
- Review safety rules with babysitters and caregivers.
- Stop using the playard when your child can easily climb out, is 34 inches tall or weighs 30 pounds.
- Avoid using a second hand playard, especially if it has large diamond-shaped openings, as your baby can get its head stuck in the holes.
- It’s a good idea to have a foam flooring where you use the playard as it provides tractions and protects them in case they fall out.
11 Best Playards For Twins
1. Best Compact: Summer Pop ‘N’ Play Portable Playard – Green
This portable playard for twins allows you to create a 14 square feet fun and safe play area for your babies. Extremely compact and light in weight— it weighs only 12 pounds, it can be put up and dismantled in no time, making it convenient to use at home, or outside. It features a water-resistant floor that keeps your babies dry even in damp areas. Its airy mesh sides which are 26 inches high, give them a chance to stay entertained by looking outside. It can be folded and packed in a convenient travel bag with a shoulder strap that is included for convenience when you are on the go. Ideal for babies aged 6 to 24 months, it will keep your twin babies entertained for hours.
- Hexagonal shape
- Pop and fold design
- Easy to store
- Some find the mesh fragile
2. Best Portable: Babyseater Portable Playard – Turquoise
When you just need that time to yourself to complete a few important chores, and you don’t really know how to, this playard for twins helps. It offers them safety and good visibility while you work. It has clear mesh screens with 2 safety locks so that you and your babies can see each other while you work. Its lightweight metal folding frame and strap makes it easy to move around and set up anywhere in seconds, even with one hand. Its base is padded and comfortable, and it’s safe and resistant against weather and wetness, making it ideal for both indoor and outdoor use. It features an easy to clean, removable lining that can be machine washed. Make your life easier and safer and more comfortable for your babies with this portable playard.
- Hexagonal shape
- Comes fully assembled
- Weighs 14.77 pounds
- Measures 30.85 inches x 9.15 inches x 9.1 inches
- Some feel the mesh could be more durable
3. Best Visibility: Joovy Room² Portable Playard – Black
As parents, we sometimes just need a few minutes to take a shower or eat dinner, but once your babies are on the move, even a few minutes may seem impossible. This pack n play for twins is created for moments like these. With over 10 square feet of space, and almost 50% larger than conventional playards, it’s ideal for both outdoor and indoor use. Extra large mesh sides provide excellent visibility in and out of the playard. Durable, reliable, and with high endurance, it can withstand rough playing as your toddlers get older. It folds easily and includes a travel bag for easy portability, and also has 2 wheels to help in moving the playard. It features a heavy duty padded mattress which supports a newborn baby till they are 35 inches tall. A waterproof, 100% cotton, mattress fitted sheet is also included to help keep the playard dry and clean.
- Heavy duty fabric
- Low center of gravity
- Measures 39.75 inches x 39.75 inches x 31 inches
- Some feel it has a strong chemical odor
- Gap of over 1 inch between the mesh and mattress
4. Best Sturdy: Yobest Baby Extra Large Playard – Grey
This large playing area for babies is made of double layered oxford cloth material and sturdy steel pipes, with non-slip TPR suction cups at the bottom of the panel so that it doesn’t tip over or move. The side panels are 28 inches high and have a soft, breathable mesh so that you are always visible to your baby, and its unique double zipper design makes it easy and convenient to open. The alloy steel pipes and plastic joints are easy to assemble and disassemble, and padded with thick sponge for your babies’ protection. It features a waterproof and stain-proof bottom that makes it safe for damp areas and is easy to wash. This playard is ideal for toddlers aged 6 months to 6 years, and gives them a pet-free space where they can practice crawling and standing without getting knocked over.
- Non -toxic
- Weighs just 15 pounds
- Measures 75 inches x 59 inches x27 inches
- Some may find the plastic joints fragile
5. Best Safe: Delta Children Playard – Fun In The Jungle
Your babies can play or nap as and when they want with this 36 inch x 36 inch playard which gives plenty of room to your baby. The 29 inch high mesh windows on all 4 sides provide good ventilation and a clear view of your child. It features a compact fold and travel bag for easy portability, as well as a brightly colored, comfortable mattress pad that serves both as a plush play space and floor mat. This playard is JPMA certified and meets all safety standards set by the CPSC and ASTM. It’s built with durable material to ensure that it stands the test of time, though it should not be used once your baby has crossed 30 pounds or 35 inches in height.
- Jungle animal pattern
- Easy to store
- Easy to assemble and dismantle
- Available in safari fun pattern as well
- The lock may not be easy to work with.
6. Best Easy-To-Access: Toddleroo By North States Superyard Ultimate – Ivory
This 8 panel ivory playard is an ideal way to create a safe play area for your child, both indoors and outdoors. It creates a 34.4 square feet play area and is 26 inches high. It features an easy access door that opens easily with one hand— just slide the latch back, lift the door up and out to open, and just reverse the action to close it. It has an added feature of a dual safety lock on the door. As the 8 interlocking panels are pre-connected, it’s easy to set up. It features skid-resistant pads, a convenient carry handle which makes this lightweight yard easy to transport and can be used by children aged 6 to 24 months. It follows all safety standards to keep your babies protected and is JPMA and ASTM certified.
- Very durable
- Adjustable size
- Easy wipe-clean design
- Panels snap together for easy setup
- Some do not find it easy to fold
7. Best Cushioned: Milliard Portable Playpen
Who doesn’t need a safe place for their babies to play? This portable, pop-up playpen is lightweight, compact, can be set up in seconds, and has the added advantage of coming with a carry bag. It has a lightly padded, waterproof floor for cushioning and outdoor use, foam covered bars, and fun-looking, padded circles covering the connection points so that your babies are always safe. Made from all steel piping and a sturdy mesh fabric, this playard can cater to the most rambunctious toddlers. The transparent mesh makes them feel at ease as they can see what is happening around them and helps you to keep an eye on them. The 8 safety buckle straps ensure that the playpen stays open while your children are inside. As your babies grow older you can convert it into a ball pit for them which will delight them.
- Durable construction
- Panels are 32.5 inches high
- 23 square feet of play space
- Removable cover for washing
- Independently tested and passed all safety regulations
- The foam padding may come off.
8. Best Convertible: Graco Pack ‘N’ Play Playard With Bassinet For Twins – Vance
This thoughtfully designed pack n play with bassinets is a roomy playard created specifically for twins to give them unparalleled comfort, convenience, and style. The removable bassinets are perfect for your baby to nap in, and it can be easily converted into a portable playpen. They feature canopies to shield your precious babies from the sun. A quilted mattress and side panels help both your babies to nap soundly either at home or when you are travelling. The innovative squeeze latch and carrying bag make traveling a charm. It has an airy mesh on all sides, providing maximum ventilation for your babies’ comfort. The bassinet can be used by babies under 15 pounds and the playard by children unable to climb out, which is usually when they weigh up to 30 pounds or are 35 inches tall.
- Quilted bassinets
- Folding wheels
- Measures 46 inches x 35 inches x 34 inches
- Made of metal and plastic for durability
- The bassinets tend to sag in the middle.
9. Best Eco-Friendly: SASRL Baby Playpen Large Playard
One doesn’t always have the luxury of a spouse or babysitter available to keep an eye on your babies, and it’s at times like this that a playard is a real boon with plenty of room for toys, friends, and to move around in a safe environment. This playard includes 50 colorful ocean balls, 4 handlers, and a storage bag. Made of durable oxford material, a cotton protective cover, and strong net sidings, it protects your babies from injury. The side panels are made of soft, breathable and see-through mesh with an external zipper and safety lock, as well as 4 pull rings that can help your baby stand and walk. The frame of this playard is made of thickened steel pipes with upgraded connectors and feature security snaps. It features strong, non-slip suction cups at the bottom to prevent it from moving or tipping over.
- Easy to clean
- Measures 79 inches x 63 inches x 27inches
- Some may find it difficult to assemble
10. Best Tear-Resistant: Todale Extra Large Baby Playard – Light Grey
You can literally carry your babies’ playground with you wherever you go. Constructed with wear-resistant, tear-resistant cationic fabric and sturdy steel pipes, it also has 4 strong, non-slip suction cups at the bottom, as an added safety feature. Thickened sponge on the bars prevent children from bumping themselves while playing. The side panels are 27 inches high and made of soft, breathable mesh that allows you and your babies to see each other, and makes them feel comfortable and safe. The external gate zipper design allows you to interact with your baby at any time. The pipes are made of a rust-proof alloy and are connected with ABS joints, and are easy to disassemble and assemble. It comes with a bag, making it easy to store and carry.
- Easy to clean
- Measures 79 x 70 inches
- CPC and ASTM certification
- It doesn’t come with a floor padding.
11. Best Easy-To-Set-Up: Bend River Baby Playard
Perfect for keeping your babies happy and safe, it’s made of safe and durable polyester taffeta, and features a canopy to your babies from the bright sun. It has a one touch set-up and takes just a few seconds to set it up and dismantle, and includes 6 pegs to keep the playard securely fixed on the ground. The mesh side walls keep it airy and also gives a clear view of both sides. The screen door can be completely closed and keeps out flies, insects, and sand. It also features a smart carry bag with a strap which makes it easy to carry around and it can be used anywhere to keep your babies safe.
- Non-toxic material
- Weighs 5.8 pounds
- Measures 63 inches x 53 inches x 39 inches
- Some feel it could be more sturdy
Now that you have been through our review of the 11 best playards for twins, it’s very important to know the vital things you need to keep in mind while choosing one for your twins, so that it’s a happy experience for them and you don’t have to worry about the safety of your precious babies.
Things To Be Considered Before Buying Best Playard For Twins
This is the first thing that needs to be considered when buying a playard for twins. There has to be enough space for both of them to nap, play, or lie down. Some playards for twins are great for newborns as they feature twin bassinets, while others are designed as a play space while you tend to your chores.
- Materials used:
Whether you use the playard for your twins to sleep or play in, the materials used have to be safe. Anything sharp, abrasive, hard or toxic is a complete no-no. Also the sides should be breathable, preferably mesh, so that there is no risk of suffocation while sleeping.
A sturdy frame is necessary so that they don’t collapse or tip over with your little ones. It should be able to withstand your babies tugging and pulling, and also have locking wheels if it can be rolled.
If your twins are going to use the playard for sleeping, it should be comfortable with each baby having a designated space with a firm and comfortable mattress.
The whole purpose of a playard is that you can use it everywhere. You should be able to easily shift it from one room to another, and even take it out of your home. It should also be easy to set up, dismantle, and pack in a travel bag, if you are on the move.
While buying a playard check that the sides are about 20 inches high so that your babies don’t tip over. If it has mesh sides, it should be securely attached, and the holes should be small enough that fingers, toes, and buttons don’t get caught in it. Ideally, the playard should come with a 1-inch thick and firm mattress. The tops of the rails should be padded and the supports and hinges should be well protected. If the side of the playard can be lowered, the locks should be out of your babies’ reach and should automatically lock when raised.
One baby is hard enough but two can be a real challenge at times, and you may often feel that you don’t get the time for even your most basic chores. With more and more products now catering to parents of newborns and toddlers, things have become simpler and a playard for twins is definitely one such innovation. It gives them a safe place to play and nap, either at home or when you are out visiting someone. Some come with special added features that make changing your babies’ clothes and diapers a breeze. Towards this end, our review of the 11 best playards for twins will help you to select the most suitable one for your little babies.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna is an experienced writer and researcher whose interest lies in writing about children’s products. Keeping in mind your child’s comfort and safety, she has compiled a list of the best playards for twins that will provide them with a safe and fun environment for playing. She also provides you with a buying guide to help you choose the right product for your little ones.