Pools offer a great way to deal with the summer heat and stay fit while having fun. So, we have compiled a list of the best pool alarms to help you stay safe. If you have children or pets, it’s prudent to have an alarm system installed to alert you in case of accidental falls. These top-rated alarms have sensors that can detect accidental falls or even unwanted usage of the pool when you’re away and work as a layer of safety.
However, choosing the right alarm system may be difficult with various options available. So, browse our list of the best-selling ones to choose the right one.
9 Best Pool Alarms To Keep Kids Safe In Water In 2024
This revolutionary warning system by Lifebuoy is equipped with multiple electronic sensors and a high-end microprocessor to detect the pool. It is reliable and can detect movement with long-range RF. The swim mode feature reactivates the alarm after ten minutes of no movement. It is also designed to alert in case the pool cover is removed. This quick response pool alarm also has a Bluetooth-based app that allows you to configure and control your alarm, adjust the sensitivity, or change the alert’s length. Watch this video for more information about the trusted product.
Color: Red | Batteries: 1 9V batteries required | Product Dimensions: 6 x 6 x 5 inches | Item Weight: 1.23 pounds
- Alarm is loud
- Sensitive alarm
- App keeps you informed of any activity
- Instructions might be confusing
The high-quality floating alarm by Pool Patrol does not need installation. This pool entry alarm includes a transmitter and a receiver that can alert you in and out of your house. You can also choose to switch off either of the alarms; switching off one will not deactivate the other. The sensitivity can be conveniently adjusted to reduce false alarms.
Color: Blue, Black | Item Weight: 1 pounds | Product Dimensions: 10 x 6.5 x 10 inches.
- Easy to adjust settings for sensitivity level
- Alarm is decently loud
- Lightweight and travel-friendly
- In-house remote receiver
- Traps debris on top of the pool
The PE20 pool alarm is ideal for above-ground pools that are about 18 feet. It is equipped with an underwater motion detection sensor and is battery-powered. The installation process is simple with the included hardware, and it can be mounted to your pool deck or ladder. The sensitivity can be adjusted according to your convenience, and the sub-surface wave detection feature ensures there are no false alarms due to wind or rain. The reliable alarm goes off when an object as light as 15lb is detected, and the alarm emits a loud 85 dB siren. This video helps you know more about the waterproof alarm.
Color: Gray | Item Weight: 1 pounds | Product Dimensions: 3 x 3 x 24 inches.
- Rudder switch is placed in a protective cage
- Fewer false alarms
- Easy to install
- Simple design
- Adjustable sensitivity switch
- Bit hard to calibrate to the proper sensitivity
Lifebuoy Pool Alarm
Pool Patrol PA - 30 Pool Alarm
PoolEye PE20 Pool Alarm
Best With Underwater Motion Sensor
Specifically designed for pets, Safety Turtle 2.0 has a Velcro strap that you can attach to your pet’s collar. The alarm will turn on in case your pet jumps into the water. It supports multiple bands at a time. It is easy to install as it requires no programming or wiring. Check out this video to know more about this wireless product.
Color: White | Batteries: 1 9V batteries required | Item Weight: 0.32 ounces | Product Dimensions: 4.5 x 2.75 x 1.5 inches.
- Alarm is loud
- Works with Alexa
- Works in saltwater pools
- Slight moisture content can set off a false alarm
The electronic monitoring system by SafeFamilyLife sounds an alarm when your kid or pet falls into the pool. Having a transmitter and a remote receiver, it can give pool entry alerts both in and out of your house. This receiver can be mounted up to 200ft away from the pool unit. It is equipped with a 12V power supply and uses two 9V batteries that last up to a year. The low battery indicator will send signals to your poolside alarm and your receiver.
Color: White | Product Dimensions: 10 x 0.01 x 10 inches | Item Weight: 1 pounds
- Works well and can be easily turned off
- Equipped with a swim-mode feature
- Alarm is decently loud
- Easy to use and lightweight
- Sensitive to heavy winds
The NSF-certified Blue Wave alarm is equipped with an electronic monitoring system sounds alarm, which activates when a kid or pet falls into the pool. It comes with a transmitter and a remote receiver that can alert you both in and out of your house. This receiver can be mounted up to 100ft away from the pool unit. The tried-and-tested device is further equipped with a 110V AC power source or 9V batteries, which can raise your pool safety features.
Color: White | Batteries: 6 D batteries required | Product Dimensions: 11 x 10 x 11 inches | Weight: 3 Pounds
- Works in both above-ground and in-ground pools.
- Fewer false alarms due to high-tech advanced sensors
- Alarm is designed to detect objects weighing 18lb and high
- May not be durable
Techko S189 ultra-slim pool alarm is UL 2024-certified and ETL-listed. It works by sounding an alert in case the pool door or gate is opened. It alerts you whenever your kids leave or enter the pool area. This trusted pool gate alarm includes two magnetic contact sensors and a remote bypass button, making it easy to childproof the pool.
Shape: Rectangular | Color: Gray | Product Dimensions: 1.75 x 0.75 x 4.75 inches | Item Weight: 4.6 ounces
- Affordable and easy to use.
- Loud alarm
- Sleek design
- Alarm sounds for 30 seconds
- Ideal for pools with two entrances
- Adhesive does not hold in textured walls
Suitable for spas and above-ground pools, this PoolGuard pool alarm is NSF-certified. It has a transmitter and a remote receiver that can alert you both in and out of your house. The user-friendly receiver can be mounted up to 200 feet from the pool unit. It is equipped with a 12V power source and will sound an alarm when taken out from the pool.
Color: Red | Batteries: 1 9V batteries required | Product Dimensions: 6 x 6 x 12 inches | Weight: 2 Pounds
- Includes a one-year warranty
- Ease of installation
- Decently loud
- Allows remote monitoring
- Suitable for above-ground pools and spas
- Heavy rain or wind would set the alarm off
The time-tested Defiant pool alarm has a three-button bypass feature and works by sounding an alert if the pool door or gate is opened. It alerts you whenever your kids leave or enter the pool area. One of its key features is its bypass-code that allows you to enter the premises without sounding the alarm. It has a loud sound of 100dB and is powered by two AAA batteries.
Item Weight: 0.317 ounces
- Decent decibel level to meet the code
- Passes above-ground pool inspection
- Easy to install
- Water- and weather-resistant
- Goes off when you re-enter home
How To Choose The Right Pool Alarm?
Here are a few things you should consider to ensure you choose the best pool alarm.
- Alarm volume: Choose an alarm that you can hear easily when it goes off, thus make sure your alarm is loud enough. However, don’t get an alarm that is too loud and disturbs your neighbors.
- Types of alarm: Each type of alarm has different setup modes. Some are good for in-ground pools, while some are perfect for above-ground pools. Choose a model that is perfect for your pool and fulfills your needs. These are the three major types of pool alarms:
- The first type of alarm is to be placed around the pool. The alarm is triggered when the surrounding space is entered, just like how a regular security alarm works if there is a break-in. This ensures your kid or pet does not enter the premises without your supervision and keeps away any intruders.
- The second type is meant to be installed inside the pool. This pool alarm works by sensing any disturbance in the water, such as the splash of your kid or pet who has fallen inside.
- The third type is an ideal option for kids, and it is a wearable pool alarm. It can be worn as a bracelet on your kid, and the alarm goes off the second it touches water.
- Quality: Choosing a pool security alarm from a trustworthy brand will ensure no technical issues in times of danger.
- Price: The price and features differ for each brand and model. Shortlist the ones in your budget and those that provide the necessary features.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do pool alarms prevent instances of drowning?
Yes, pool alarm clocks can prevent drowning mishaps to some extent. Pool alarms are designed to detect the waves on the water’s surface. When any difference in waves is noticed, the surface sensor of the pool alarms produces sounds indicating that someone has fallen in the pool (1).
2. How loud is a pool alarm?
A pool alarm used in homes is typically between 85 dB and 90 dB. Pool alarms used for commercial purposes are between 120 dB and 130 dB.
3. Do pool alarms work with solar covers?
Subsurface pool alarms can work with solar covers more effectively, whereas, surface pool alarms can’t work with solar covers (2).
4. How should I silence a pool alarm?
You should hold the pass-through switch or reset key for three to four seconds to turn off the buzzing pool alarm. The pool alarm activates as soon as it is placed back in the pool.
5. Does a pool alarm have a camera feature?
Some security cameras are designed with a pool alarm feature. However, note that such cameras should be ASTM-certified.
6. How much weight would trigger a pool-mounted alarm?
On average, a pool alarm can produce sound only if it notices an object of more than 15 pounds drowning.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Having a private swimming pool is exciting; however, you should consider installing a pool alarm to be alerted of accidents. Hence, our writers and reviewers have hand-picked the best pool alarms for various pool types after carefully analyzing their user reviews and product details. We have also included a buying guide and offered some pointers to help you pick the most suitable option based on your requirements.
A pool alarm is worth investing in if you have children or pets in the family. It alerts you in case of accidental falls and can ensure safety and timely action in case of a mishap. When investing in a pool alarm, make sure the volume of the alarm is loud enough to reach you. Our top-rated picks include the Pool Patrol PA with an adjustable sensitivity feature to reduce the occurrence of false alarms and the Defiant Pool Alarm which is water- and weather-resistant. Apart from exploring various pool alarms that can be installed in or around the swimming pool, you can also consider wearable alarms for your kids if installing an alarm is not a preferred option for you.
Infographic: What Are The Different Types Of Swimming Pool Alarms?
If you have a backyard swimming pool, consider buying a pool alarm for the increased safety of your children, pets, and others. Pool alarms inform the owner of any mishaps, accidents, or unknown intrusions in the pool, especially when no one is around. Read through the infographic below to learn about various types of pool alarms available in the market.
- Pool Dangers and Drowning Prevention―When It’s Not Swimming Time
- An Evaluation of Swimming Pool Alarms
- Best Atomic Alarm Clocks
- Best Radio Alarm Clocks
- Best Door And Window Alarms
- Best Travel Alarm Clocks