We all love a clean and crystal clear pool to take our dips in. Getting the best pool shock product can keep the pool clean, hygienic, and safe every time you use it. Shocking a pool refers to adding chemicals, such as chlorine, into water pools to free them of harmful microorganisms, including bacteria, algae, and other particles.
Pool shocking involves raising the chlorine level in the water. This helps in getting rid of the unwanted particles in our pools. Read along as we list some of the best pool shock chemical products for you to choose from.
Types Of Pool Shocks
Here are the various types of pool shocks.
- Calcium hypochlorite: This is the strongest shock and is easy to dissolve. The UV rays burn it quickly, and therefore, the chemical does not increase the cyanuric acid level but increases the pH level of your pool. Add it in the evening and resume swimming when the normal chlorine level is achieved.
- Sodium dichlor: It is a slow-dissolving chemical but lasts long. Sodium dichlor contains a stabilizer that can be used as a shock treatment to maintain the chlorine level of the swimming pool.
- Potassium monopersulfate: It is a non-chlorine oxygen-based shock that primarily oxidizes and cleans the water.
Top Products From Our List
15 Best Pool Shocks
HTH 52026 Super Shock treatment is a potent four-in-one pool shock that boosts chlorine levels while also killing and preventing germs and algae for a clear, healthy pool. Each one-pound bag of Super Shock helps treat 13,500 gallons of water in just 24 hours. This pool shock is suitable for all types of pools and does not cause the pool liner to fade.
- Package includes 12 bags
- Easy to use
- Fast-acting and fast-dissolving
- May have a pungent chlorine smell
Clorox Pool & Spa Shock XtraBlue clears murky water, kills microscopic pollutants, and fights algae. This effective mixture destroys bacteria without whitening the liner or altering the pH level of your pool. It contains algae-fighting crystals that kill and prevent algae growth, and the fast-acting solution dissolves swiftly, allowing you to cure the pool in under 15 minutes.
- Suitable for all kinds of pool surfaces
- No pre-dissolving required
- Can be used weekly
- Contains 12 one-pound packs
- Packaging may not be great
Dry Tec 1-1901-12 Treatment Pool Shock is a robust and powerful formula containing 68% calcium hypochlorite, which helps kill bacteria without bleaching the liner or changing your pool’s pH. The pool shock removes contaminants from the water, allows the filter to work more efficiently, purifies murky water, and inhibits algae growth.
- Contains test kits
- Dissolves well
- No cyanuric acid additives
- Includes 12 one-pound packs
- May leave residue
HTH 52032 shock system for swimming pools fights significant algae growth and restores crystal purity to your pool. This two-step shock treatment shocks the pool with chlorine to destroy bacteria and algae, and then uses a flocculent to drop dead algae particles to the bottom of the pool. One bag cures up to 20,000 gallons of water, and this pool shock does not cause your pool liner to fade.
- Dissolves quickly
- Can be applied directly to the pool
- Fast-acting formula
- Includes four 1.5lb bags
- May not be compatible with all pools
Pool RX Blue Booster kills existing algae quickly, prevents it from returning, and provides you with a clear pool within 24 to 72 hours. In addition, the product reduces the amount of calcium required for your pool and remains effective for up to six months.
- Dissolves quickly
- Suits all types of pools
- NSF 50 certified
- Can be used with chlorine, salt, and UV or ozone systems
- Does not stain pools
- Some packs may not be powdery
Oxy Spa’s non-chlorine MPS spa and pool oxidizing shock is a quick-acting shock treatment. It removes soap residues, antiperspirants, natural oils, and build-up from the pool. The formula does not leave behind any odors and clears cloudy water. In addition, this product can be used in both pools and hot tubs.
- Each pack helps treat 10,000 gallons of water
- Pleasant fragrance
- Active oxygen
- Less waiting time after use
- Downsized packaging
Doheny’s chlorine super shock for swimming pools is perfect for giving your pool a rapid chlorine boost. The versatile pool shock treatment kills algae and bacteria and removes micro-contaminants that cause cloudy pool water. Each one-pound pack helps treat 10,000 gallons of water.
- Contains 65% active chlorine
- Compatible with saltwater
- Well-packed and easy to use
- Includes 24 one-pound pouches
- May leave residue behind
In The Swim calcium hypochlorite pool shock is a powerful pool shock treatment that kills algae, bacteria, and other hazardous impurities in the water. It’s also an excellent shock for pool openings in the spring. The non-stabilized formula containing a minimum of 65% available chlorine can be used for regular maintenance of your pool.
- Sanitizes quickly
- Easy to use
- One pound per 10,000 gallons
- Does not bleach pool liner
- Needs to be pre-dissolved
BioGuard Smart Shock formula for swimming pools offers shock treatment of the pool even during the day and allows safe swimming within 15 minutes. The shock has intense oxidizing and cleaning power and breaks bacteria and other organisms. Moreover, its quick-dissolving nature allows you to use it on pool tiles, even painted ones, without bleaching.
- Can be added to the pool directly
- Can be used day and night
- Compatible with chlorine and bromine sanitizing systems
- Includes 12 one-pound bags
- Concentration level might not be very high.
Austin’s Pool Tech pool shock clears up your pool effectively. Whether you have an above- ground pool, in-ground pool, or a spa, the Pool Tech pool shock provides a powerful filter solution. With 12.5% sodium hypochlorite, this pool shock clears up murky water without any residue. In addition, it also washes down black algae on the roof shingles.
- Disinfects water
- Leaves the pool water crystal clear
- Versatile use
- Ideal for hot tub/spa maintenance
- Might leave a shock spot
Poolife Rapid Shock consists of calcium-hypochlorite and is formulated to prevent algae and germ growth. This quick-dissolving shock helps keep pool water clean and clear, and the product is best used during the evening hours while the filter pump is running. Each pack comes with 24 one-pound bags to let you maintain your pool regularly.
- Effect lasts for long
- Makes the water crystal clear
- Suitable for all kinds of surfaces
- One bag per 10,000 gallons
- May not dissolve quickly
Mega Shock from Rx Clear contains 73% calcium hypochlorite, which yields 70% accessible chlorine. The three-in-one sanitizer, clarifier, and algae controller provides crystal clear water for a more comfortable swimming experience. In addition, Mega Shock has a pH of 11, making it an excellent shock for when both chlorine and pH levels are low.
- Does not make the water cloudy
- Long shelf life
- Prevents overstabilization
- One-pound bag per 10,000 gallons
- Has to be pre-dissolved
SpaGuard Enhanced Shock is a unique formulation specially formulated to deliver crystal clear water in systems that use bromine or chlorine, including those that use ionization or ozone systems. Further, it helps clean muddy or foggy water and decreases excessively harsh chlorine aromas.
- Removes oils and grim
- Comes with a detailed user manual
- Removes odor
- Prevents waterline build-up
- May leave residue at the bottom
The LeisureQuip BioGuard Burnout 73 super chlorinator swimming pool shock restores the pool’s luster and clarity. It contains 73% calcium hypochlorite, and each one-pound bag treats 16,500 gallons of water, making it one of the most potent pool shocks. This pool shock is available in 12 and 24 pack options, and the logbook which comes along with the pack helps you keep track of the pool’s upkeep.
- Suitable for all pool types
- Includes a pool checklist
- Has chemical dosage charts
- Troubleshooting guide
- Might take time to start working
Ultima T.K.O. is a multi-purpose, quick-dissolving, fast-acting pool shock that purifies, sanitizes, and shock cures your pool. The formula provides all-season protection against algae blooms, ensuring your pool water is safe and clean. Each one-pound bag treats 15,000 gallons of water, and the shock contains 73% calcium hypochlorite.
- Long-lasting effect
- Long shelf life
- Recommended by professional cleaners
- Dissolves quickly
- Might cause water hardness
How To Choose The Right Shock For Pools?
Consider these points when choosing the right shock for pools.
- Dissolving speed: Although it isn’t the most important element, the length of time it takes for your pool shock to work is worth considering. While a few give good results within 15 minutes, others may take days to take action.
- Chlorine level: Understand the chlorine level in your pool before purchasing or using a pool shock.
- Effectiveness: Finding a shock that consistently gives consistent results will assist you in developing a decent swimming pool care routine.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I pour shock directly into the pool?
It is recommended that you dissolve the shock in a bucket of water and then add it to the pool.
2. How long should I wait to swim after I have shocked a pool?
After shocking your pool, it is safe to swim once the chlorine levels have dropped to roughly five ppm or after 24 hours. It’s always a good idea to test the chlorine level first.
3. What is the best time of day to shock a pool?
It is best to shock the pool after sunset.
If you’ve had a pool for a while, you’re probably aware that there are a variety of pool shock options to pick from. And even if you don’t want to shock your pool very often, there may come a moment when you will require one. We hope this curated list of the best pool shock chemicals helps you choose an ideal pool shock to keep your pool crystal clear.