Do you reside in a compact space? Looking for a comfortable sleeping surface for your guests when they visit you? Look no further than this! Portable mattresses can give your guests a comfy place to sleep without occupying too much space in your house and can be stowed away conveniently when not in use. Also referred to as foldable mattresses, most of them are also ideal for camping hobbyists or frequent travelers who always have a tough time sleeping on poor quality beds. They are lightweight, compact (when folded down), and are easy to transport and carry on your travels or adventures.
We searched high and low to put together a list of the 20 best portable mattresses available in the market. Read through and pick the one that meets your needs.
Top Products From Our List
20 Best Portable Mattresses In 2021
This folding bed and mattress combo is an excellent solution for guests staying at your house. The bed features wood slats and a steel metal frame that provides stability while the memory foam mattress is comfortable enough to give you a good night’s sleep.
- Includes 4 casters that offer mobility
- Can be folded for compact storage
- The mattress is covered with a beige damask fabric
- Comes with a bed clamp that securely holds the bed when folded for storage
- Sturdy and durable bed frame
- Easy to assemble
- Space-saving solution
- Compatible with twin flat bed sheets
- May have a foul odor
With 4-inch thickness, this full-size, medium-firm, foam mattress will come handy when you go for overnight camping trips. Aside from that, it can be used as a sofa for comfortable seating, folding mattress for guests, or as a play mat for your kids.
- Features sturdy double-stitched handles
- Includes a stain-resistant removable and washable cover
- Available in other sizes
- Firm enough to provide support and comfort
- Does not take up too much space when used as a sofa
- May take a long time to expand
Experience ultimate comfort and sound quality sleep wherever you go with this 4-inch foam mattress by Milliard. It is made of CertiPUR-US certified foam that has a high density to ensure it does not lose its shape.
- Breathable mesh sides ensure good airflow
- Made without harmful chemicals, heavy metals, and flame retardants
- Includes a removable and washable jacquard ultra-soft bamboo cover with anti-slip bottom
- Soft and flexible
- Wide enough for adults to use
- Folds easily for convenient storage
- Ideal for sleepovers and camping
- The cover’s zipping material might be flimsy
- May need to be aired out before using
Featuring a tri-fold construction, this mattress can be folded in for compact storage and easy transportability. Plus, the attached carrying strap and handles make it convenient to take along wherever you go.
- Has non-slip mesh sides and bottom
- Soft poly sleeping surface and Pro Fiber filling for comfort.
- Recommended to be spot cleaned using a damp cloth
- It features double stitching and has double overlap folded seam
- Durable and breathable fabric
- Can be used as an exercise or yoga mat
- Available in 3 colors – navy, black, and chocolate
- The filling complies with National Flammability Standards
- May lose its shape after a few uses
A foldable mattress such as this one is ideal for times when guests come unannounced and spend the night in your small apartment. This queen-size mattress can accommodate 2 adults comfortably. It conforms to your body and sleeping position and helps relieve pressure points in your body.
- Covered with a poly-Jacquard cover with zipper and a slip-proof bottom
- Made with high-density base foam (2.5 inches) and memory foam top (1.5 inches)
- CertiPUR-US certified foam
- Machine-washable cover
- Provides maximum comfort and support
- Infused with extracts of green tea to reduce stress and improve sleep
- May have a strong mildew smell
A combination of portability and comfort makes this soft yet firm full-size mattress topper one of the best on our list. It is incredibly versatile and can be used as a sleeping mattress, camping bed, and floor sofa.
- 4 inches thick mattress
- Constructed with high-density foam
- It takes 24 to 72 hours to expand completely
- A removable cover keeps the mattress clean
- Machine-washable and dryer-friendly cover
- Includes a storage case with handles
- The built-in handles on the mattress make it easy to carry
- The zipper of the cover may be flimsy
- May need to be placed in a ventilated area until the unpleasant odor dissipates
In addition to being convenient to use, this tri-fold mattress is beneficial in more ways than one. It is compact, lightweight, portable, and versatile. It can be used as a sleeping bed at home or on a campground. And if your tiny apartment does not have enough space for a full-size sofa or a storage space, this mattress can easily convert into a cozy couch.
- Queen-size mattress with 4.5 inches thickness
- CertiPUR-US Certified high-density foam
- Removable and machine-washable polyester cover
- Does not sag
- Breathable mesh cover
- The cover may shrink a little after wash
- The zippers may not be sturdy enough
Replace your air mattress with this Sleep Ready mattress as a folding mattress for camping or for a comfortable sleeping experience when traveling. Made of high-quality CertiPUR-US certified memory foam, this 3-inch twin-size mattress is super soft. It offers superior comfort and back support and helps in reducing joint pains. All you have to do is unclip and roll it out when needed.
- Easy-to-carry handles
- Includes a bag for storage
- Fitted with a hypoallergenic and waterproof cotton terry cover
- Made without toxic chemicals and ozone depleters
- Low VOC emission
- Water-resistant and non-slip bottom
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- The cover is machine-washable
- Might be a little heavy
If you are looking for a temporary sleeping arrangement, this lightweight single-size mattress is your best option. Constructed with a combination of all-foam and memory foam, this 3-inch thick mattress provides excellent comfort and pressure relief.
- Requires 72 hours to expand fully
- Measures 75×31 inches
- Includes a sturdy carry bag with arm strap
- Comes with a removable and machine-washable quilted cover
- Used for sleeping and lounging
- Can be used on the floor or as a mattress topper
- Measures 12 inches when rolled up for compact storage
- Might not be durable
Did you know that high-density foam is known for offering therapeutic benefits? This mattress has a soft top layer that adapts to your body’s shape; however, it is firm enough to provide optimum back support.
- Comes with handles
- Removable and machine-washable zippered cover
- Easy to fold and unfold
- Super light and compact
- Can be used as an exercise mat or folded into a couch
- The zippers may break easily
If you are on the search for a folding mattress for your RV or van, this transportable, tri-fold mattress is your best bet. Unfold this memory foam mattress wherever you want for vital sleep experience and long-lasting support. With a thickness of 6 inches, this twin-size bedding is incredibly soft and can conform to any sleeping position without sinking to the floor.
- CertiPUR-US certified
- Breathable gray mesh sides
- 5×4.5-inch memory foam over a supportive base foam
- Removable and machine-washable soft bamboo cover with anti-slip base
- Thick and durable
- Hypoallergenic and antibacterial
- Dust and mite-resistant
- The inner part of the cover has fire barrier lining
- May take more than 3 days to inflate completely
This tri-fold sleeping mattress is made of high-density foam and features a firm cushion padding. It provides excellent support for your back and neck and regulates your sleep temperature to help you sleep peacefully.
- 4 inches thick CertiPUR-US certified foam
- Comes with a carrying bag
- Removable and machine-washable cover
- Super soft and breathable
- Compact enough to fit in a closet, car, or RV
- Can be transformed into a makeshift sofa
- May not be comfortable for side sleepers
Setting up this 4-inch thick tri-fold mattress is as easy as 1, 2, 3 – just open the package, unfold the mattress, and let it decompress. All it takes is 2 to 4 hours for this topper to completely expand. It is crafted with CertiPUR-US certified foam, so rest assured it is safe to use as it does not contain formaldehyde, heavy metals, or flame retardants.
- Has a super-soft removable cover
- Non-slip bottom
- Features 3.5 inches responsive base foam and 0.5 inches memory foam
- Low on VOC
- The cover is machine-washable
- Doubles as a lounge chair or play mattress
- May be too plush
Hazli Twin Memory Foam Mattress is an outstanding choice for camping and home use. Thanks to its roll-up feature, this 3-inch twin-size mattress takes only a few seconds to be folded in, making it convenient to carry and store. It features a 100% waterproof cotton cover that prevents the bed from getting damp.
- Has a non-slip base
- Machine-washable and removable cover
- Includes straps that tightly secure the mattress
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor use
- Meets Federal Children’s product requirements
- Once opened, it might be difficult to roll and fit it in the carry bag.
This is one of the best portable mattresses for guests, and for good reasons. The 6-inch thickness of the foam makes it amazingly comfortable to sleep on, whether it’s laid on a flat surface or a bumpy ground. It features a plush air memory foam top and a firm base that provides you plenty of support as you sleep like a baby through the night.
- Queen-size mattress
- Tri-fold, dual-layer design
- Detachable and machine-washable cover
- Comes with a storage case made of Oxford fabric
- Space-saving solution
- Contours to your body
- Suitable for back and side sleepers
- Also provides a futon-like seating
- Thick enough to keep your body warm
- Might be big and bulky
If you live in a small apartment and don’t have enough space for a traditional mattress and a futon, this tri-fold mattress topper is sure to come handy. In addition to using it as a mattress topper, this one can also be used as a floor chair. This multilayer memory foam mattress offers complete comfort and support. Rest assured, you won’t wake up with a pain in your back or neck.
- 4-inch twin-size mattress
- CertiPUR-US certified foam
- Includes a stain-resistant removable cover
- Easy to fold for storage
- Safe to use
- The cover is washable
- Might have gaps
Tired of constantly air pumping or using your mouth to blow in air to inflate your mattress? Then give this self-inflating mattress a try! It features a 2-way valve, which means when you want to inflate the mattress, you have to turn the valve to inflation mode to let air in. You could also open the core for faster inflation. In addition to that, the included inflatable storage bag can also be used to fill the air in the mattress.
- 4 inches thick after being inflated
- The interior of the mattress is made of PU foam
- 3D wavy surface conforms to your body shape
- The mattress surface has a non-toxic and wear-resistant TPU film for tightness
- Lightweight and compact
- Durable and environment-friendly
- Ultra-soft mattress top for perfect comfort
- The softness of the mattress can be adjusted
- Deflating the mattress to fit it in the bag might be a little difficult.
Mayton Folding Mattress features memory foam on top of a supportive foam base that guarantees a high level of comfort while sleeping. It comes with a jacquard cover that is soft to the touch and protects the mattress from damage.
- 3-inch thickness
- Removable cover with anti-slip bottom
- Uses a high-end compressed package technology
- Lightweight and easy to store
- Regulates sleep temperature
- Enough space for 1 person
- Might not be suitable for everyday use
This Japanese futon mattress is designed like a traditional Japanese style of bedding that can be used to rest and sleep. This 3-layer structure features 50% polyester and 50% solid cotton batting and 100% cotton sides. The cotton material feels fluffy yet is firm enough to adapt to your body and provide excellent back support.
- 5 inches thick
- Queen-size bedding
- Designed by skilled craftsmen from Japan
- Easy to fold, store, or transport
- Delivered uncompressed and ready to use
- May not come with a mattress cover
Also referred to as a Shikibuton, this black tri-fold bed is made of high-density foam that makes this mattress durable and flexible. Plus, with 6 inches thickness, it is extra comfy to sleep on.
- 8 pounds full-size bedding
- CertiPUR-US certified foam
- Spot cleaning with damp cloth and shampoo recommended
- Removable cover
- Doubles as an ottoman when folded in
- Meets requirements of Federal Mattress Flammability Standard
- May be a little too heavy
If you are still confused about choosing the right portable mattress, here are a few factors that could help you with your decision-making process.
Types Of Portable Mattresses
- Folding rollaway bed: A rollaway bed features a sturdy metal frame and a soft mattress that can be folded in half for convenient storage. Most of these bed types include casters that can be rolled in or out according to your need. They are a great option if you are living in a small apartment and want to accommodate guests.
- Rolling mattress: Made with a combination of polyester, cotton, and thin layers of memory foam, this mattress is dense, lightweight, and easy to carry. It is easy to set up and can be rolled away seconds when you want to store it away. Its compact size and lightweight feature make it suitable for camping.
- Tri-fold mattress: As the name suggests, a tri-fold mattress has 3 sections and 2 folding points. Often made of memory foam, this mattress type is comfortable to use on a floor. It makes for a great guest bed and is small enough (when folded) to carry on your travels. Some of these mattresses are designed to act as a playmat for kids or a lounge chair.
- Traditional Japanese floor futon mattress: Often constructed as a one-piece design, this mattress is used as a floor cushion or temporary sleeping arrangement. This mattress type is rectangular and usually made of cotton. It is generally thinner than a tri-fold mattress.
- Air mattress: Also known as an inflatable mattress, this type of bed has to be air pumped when needed. Likewise, it can be deflated when not in use and stowed away conveniently.
How To Choose The Best Portable Mattress
- Type: As mentioned in the previous section, there are a variety of mattresses you could choose from depending on your requirements. For instance, if you want a lightweight mattress for your kids when they go camping, an easy-to-assemble rollaway mattress is a great choice. You could go for rollaway beds or foldable mattresses if you want your guests to have a comfortable sleeping experience.
- Material: Most portable mattresses are either made of memory foam or polyfoam. Polyfoam mattresses are incredibly affordable and comfortable to use, but may not last long. As for memory foam models, they are soft and can conform to your body shape. At the same time, it returns to its original form as soon as the user gets off the mattress. Plus, they are much more comfortable and durable than poly foam mattresses.
- Thickness: The thickness of a mattress depends on the material used. While thicker beds are soft and extra comfy, they could be bulky and a little difficult to transport. Thinner mattresses are perfect for people who are always on the go as they are lighter and easier to carry around. Plus, thicker mattresses offer better support than thinner ones.
- Size: When looking for the size of a mattress, it all comes down to your personal preference. Portable mattresses are available in different sizes, ranging from single to king-size mattresses.
- Mattress Cover: It’s always best to opt for a mattress that comes with a cover, which will protect your mattress from damage. Most foldable mattresses have removable covers with zippers and anti-slip base. While some of them are machine-washable, others may have to be cleaned with a damp cloth. Besides, if you are looking to use a mattress for camping, a cover material with waterproof and antibacterial qualities is considered the best option.
- Other Features: Ensure that the mattress you buy is constructed of CertiPUR-US certified materials, which indicates that it is non-toxic and safe to use.
Benefits And Cons Of A Portable Mattress
- Its is a space-saving option
- Easy to set up
- Convenient to store
- Provides comfortable back support while sleeping
- Since it is portable and foldable, it is perfect for travelers
- It is versatile and can be used as a chair or sofa.
- May not be as durable as a standard mattress
- Most mattresses have a strong odor when unpacked for the first time
- Thin mattresses may be uncomfortable to use on rough and uneven surfaces.
- Depending on the mattress’s size after it’s folded, you may require separate storage space.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which model is the most portable to take for camping?
A rolling mattress is considered to be the most portable model because it’s light in weight and easily rolled into a compact size. However, a foldable memory foam mattress that has a water-resistant cover is also best suited for camping.
2. Can one feel gaps while sleeping on the foldable mattress?
No. It is said that despite the folds, a person sleeping on a foldable mattress cannot feel the gaps.
A portable mattress is a perfect solution for a temporary sleeping arrangement for your guests or when you’re traveling. It is also a great choice as a permanent option if you have limited space in your house. It is easy to fold and unfold and a great way to save space. We have compiled a list of the 20 best portable mattresses and have provided you with a detailed buying guide to help you pick the right mattress.