A postpartum belly wrap offers your back and abdomen much-needed support. The best postpartum belly wrap will help reduce pain in your body, especially for those who have been through a c-section. In addition, most postpartum women may become conscious of how they look. To help you with that, you will need a postpartum belly wrap. In ancient times, most traditional cultures practiced postpartum belly binding, which was believed to help uterine contractions and provide abdomen and back support post-childbirth. You can find several wraps to choose from based on shapes, styles, and sizes. Here, we got you covered by reviewing some tried-and-tested postpartum belly wraps and a buying guide.
13 Best Postpartum Belly Wraps
1. Best Comfortable:AltroCare 3-Panel Postpartum Belly Band
The AltoCare belly band is designed to strengthen abdominal muscles and provide essential support to your postpartum or post-surgery belly. Its three-panel design prevents uncomfortable rolls or bulging, and the Velcro closure enables you to adjust compression as needed. Made of lightweight and breathable material, this safe and effective belly band offers maximum comfort and is convenient to wear for extended periods. Its medical-grade soft elastic supports abdominal muscles and helps improve posture, making it a trusted choice. You can also use the belly band to reduce swelling and strengthen the core muscles.
- Boosts post-surgery recovery
- Less stitching to prevent skin irritations
- Available in three sizes to cater to all body types
- Some may find it a bit bulky
- May not be true to size
2. Best Breathable: KeaBabies 3-In-1 Postpartum Belly Wrap – One Size
Soft as a whisper, this postpartum belt, from a trusted brand, is made of elastic mesh that is breathable, and it molds to your body without causing irritation. The expert-approved stomach belt puts gentle pressure on your abdomen, which helps the uterus to shrink, and it also supports other muscles and organs so that they get back to their pre-pregnancy shape. Apart from that, it reduces backache by giving adequate support to your back. This maternity support belt helps you to maintain the correct posture during breastfeeding, while the pelvic band helps your pelvis, which widens during pregnancy, to get back to its original state. You can start using the stomach compression wrap immediately after a natural birth, followed by the waist belt after a week, and then the pelvic belt after another 6 weeks. For a more detailed review of this mom-approved product, here’s a video showcasing a reviewer’s experience.
- Easy to put on
- Gives wide coverage
- Helps in diastasis recti
- Premium felt velcro fasteners
- Adjustable elastic belt
- Suitable for all heights
- Ideal for pre-pregnancy weight below 145 pounds
- Some might need to wear a layer under the belly band.
3. Best Coverage: Mamaway Bamboo Postpartum Belly Band
The postpartum belly band by Mamaway, crafted with bamboo charcoal mesh, keeps you cool and dry. The stretchable and extra-wide band provides full coverage, compressing the loose skin of the hips and abdomen. This safe and effective belly band features dual Velcro fasteners that offer a custom fit, and the firm yet flexible band contours your body’s shape, stays stable, and does not roll up, shrink, or slip. Moreover, this postpartum support wrap helps repair diastasis recti, provides back support, stabilizes the c-section incision, and supports postpartum recovery.
- Promotes blood circulation
- Ideal for use after a natural or cesarean delivery
- Improves posture
- May not be suitable for machine washing
AltroCare 3-Panel Postpartum Belly Band
KeaBabies 3-In-1 Postpartum Belly Wrap - One Size
Mamaway Bamboo Postpartum Belly Band
| 9.88 x 7.2 x 3.15 inches
|3.74 x 1.18 x 5.51 inches
4. Best With Velcro-Closure: Ita-Med Abdominal Binder
Get relief from pain after abdominal surgery or cesarean delivery with the Ita-Med abdominal binder. It features three elastic panels to support the abdomen and Velcro fasteners to customize the fit according to your waist size. This abdominal wrap is not noticeable when worn beneath the top layer of your clothes, making it suitable for daily wear. Ideal for postpartum use, the binder not only offers a slimming effect by redistributing weight, but also improves posture and balance, provides support, and decreases pressure. It is made of a blend of 50% polyester, 10% lycra, 22% cotton, and 18% nylon to ace the test of comfort.
- Helps relieve menstrual discomfort
- Hand- and machine-washable
- Available in multiple sizes
- Suitable for men and women
- May ride up slightly
- May require wearing a layer under the belly band
5. Best Latex-Free:NYOrtho Tapered Abdominal Binder Compression Wrap
Provide effective support to your core after abdominal injuries, a C-section, vaginal birth, or hernia surgery with the NYOrtho abdominal binder. Its unique tapered design contours to any individual’s waist shape, providing a personalized fit. This post-baby belly wrap features a soft and plush elastic that leaves no marks on your body. Made of lightweight, breathable, and firm material, this mommy-approved belly wrap compresses the lower and upper abdomen without shifting or rolling out of place. Additionally, this core support band improves your posture during feeding, enhances blood circulation, reduces swelling, and promotes healing, making it a trusted choice for moms.
- Improves muscle tone
- Available in multiple sizes
- May be a little stiff
- Might run a bit small
6. Best Sweat-Absorbent: Trendyline Postpartum Belly Band – Nude
Made specially for XS size women, this postpartum belly band fits a waist size of 19.7 to 22.8 inches and is made of soft, seamless, elastic cotton fabric that won’t hurt your skin. It applies light compression on your abdominal section so that it gradually gets back into shape. The 4 steel bones around it are flexible and prevent this postpartum belt from rolling up or down. This safe and effective belly band relieves pressure on your lumbar region and is ideal for women both after a natural birth and a c-section. Trusted by moms, this product hastens postpartum recovery and ensures that you get your prep-pregnancy waistline and toned body back in no time. In fact, it can be worn as a slimming postpartum shapewear to give you a sleek look.
- Easy to wear and adjust
- Ideal for postpartum period
- Meshed fabric at the back
- 2 reinforced bones at the back for added support
- Some may feel that the material bunches up while sitting.
7. Best Reversible: Brabic Postpartum Belly Band – Black
Made specially for XS size women, this postpartum belly band fits a waist size of 19.7 to 22.8 inches and is made of soft, seamless, elastic cotton fabric that won’t hurt your skin. It applies gentle compression on your abdominal section so that it gradually gets back into shape. The 4 steel bones around it are flexible and prevent this postpartum belt from rolling up or down. It relieves pressure on your lumbar region and is ideal for women both after a natural birth and a c-section. It hastens postpartum recovery and ensures that you get your prep-pregnancy waistline and toned body back in no time. In fact, it can be worn as a slimming postpartum shapewear to give you a sleek look.
- Adjustable band
- Easy to put on
- Corrects your posture
- Relieves back and abdomen pain
- Reduces swelling and bloating after delivery
- May not support machine washing
8. Best To Relieve Back Pain: Brabic 2-In-1 Postpartum Belly Wrap – Beige
Most women start feeling under-confident about their bodies soon after childbirth, and this postpartum wrap belt takes care of that! It improves posture, pelvic position, and prevents your skin from sagging while holding your muscles in place with adequate support. Made of breathable, lightweight fabric that is 2-layered and elastic, this tried-and-tested postpartum corset gives optimum compression to your midsection. It features an adjustable closure with six rows of hook-eye and 4 steel bones for extra compression. This belt shapes your body and gives you a sleek look while the pelvic support wrap lifts your buttocks and hips. It fits firmly around your abdomen and doesn’t roll up or down or bunch up while sitting or walking.
- Stretchable fabric
- Relieves back pain
- Doesn’t lose its shape
- Fits seamlessly
- May not be machine washable
9. Best Ergonomic:RiptGear Umbilical Hernia Abdominal Support Belt
Lay your hands on the RiptGear abdominal support belt with a removable compression pad to provide adequate compression and support to your belly post delivery. The ergonomic design of the belt ensures that it stays in place and does not irritate your ribs or hip bones. Additionally, this belt is made of lightweight, breathable, and moisture-wicking elastic material, which keeps you dry and comfortable even when wearing it for long periods. This unisex belt conforms to any body shape and is pretty versatile–you can use it as a belly wrap, abdominal binder, compression garment, support belt, and more.
- Can be worn under clothes
- Soft and breathable materials
- Adjustable and tightened fit
- Seamless finish
- Easy to clean
- Available in two sizes
- Might have some rough edges
- May be a bit large for some
10. Best Latex-Free:Armstrong Amerika Plus-Size Abdominal-Belly Binder
Improve posture, alleviate postpartum pain and muscle strain, and reduce the likelihood of hernias with the belly binder wrap by Armstrong Amerika. Made of 80% cotton and 20% nylon and measuring 12 inches wide, it ensures a comfortable yet snug fit. You can also use this binder as a girdle to reduce postpartum belly fat and regain your pre-pregnancy shape. The belly binder’s non-slip material keeps it from sliding, folding, and irritating the skin, making it suitable for long-term use.
- Comfortable and breathable
- Unisex design
- Free of latex
- Easy to wash
- Suitable for nighttime use
- Available in multiple sizes
- Seams might be slightly flimsy
- Hook-and-loop closure might not be highly durable
11. Best Lightweight:Mars Wellness Plus Size Bariatric Abdominal Binder
Mars Wellness’ abdominal binder is made of Velcro-compatible material and features a plush elastic lining for a snug yet comfortable fit. This versatile belt is suitable for individuals of all sizes, and it helps compress and support the abdominal muscles, making it a trusted and effective tool for aiding recovery after a C-section or surgery. Moreover, you can also wear this lightweight C-section recovery wrap under your regular clothes and during the day or at night, as it allows unrestricted movement.
- Enhances blood and oxygen flow
- Easy to wear
- Unisex design
- Available in multiple sizes
- May not be easy to remove
12. Best Flexible: Okpow Postpartum Belly Wrap – Black
This high-quality, lightweight, and stretchable postpartum belly wrap is comfortable to wear. The tried-and-tested belly wrap is thicker than most regular belly wraps which prevents it from bunching up while moving or sitting. Its breathable and flexible material gives you freedom of movement while attending to your baby. It features two reinforced bones that help in the contraction of the uterus and gives adequate support to your back and midsection, hastening postpartum recovery. Its size can be adjusted to give you the required level of compression, and it helps to get your body back to its pre-pregnancy shape within a short time. This small-sized postpartum wrap is suited for waists between 24 to 26 inches, and helps you to feel confident about your body with its slimming effect.
- Easy to clean
- Reduces bloating
- Reduces stretch marks
- Prevents muscles and skin from sagging
- Some feel it could be a bit longer.
13. Best For Short Torso: Belly Bandit BFF Belly Wrap – Cream
This XS postpartum belly wrap is specially designed for women with shorter torsos and gives incredible support to the hips, belly, and waist, reduces postpartum pain, and ensures that you get back into shape soon. It features 2 velcro tabs and 2 compression panels that focus on your core muscles and allow you to adjust the level of compression based on your requirements. Its curved design ensures a comfortable fit and aids in mobility after a c-section. It includes six other panels that offer support while breastfeeding and help maintain a good posture. The belly wrap also features an adjustable hook-and-loop closure with the adjustment capability of up to nine inches so you can keep tightening it as you lose the inches.
- Body-contoured design
- Helps with diastasis recti
- Soft viscose from bamboo cover
- Latex-free Power Compress core
- May not be comfortable for those with longer waists
How To Choose The Best Postpartum Belly Wrap?
Here are a few factors you should keep in mind to choose the right postpartum belly wrap and get your pre-pregnancy body back in no time.
- Comfort: A postpartum belly band is supposed to offer you support and compress your belly, which means it shouldn’t be tight, painful, or uncomfortable. Opt for stretchable styles in a soft, comfortable, non-itchy material that can be adjusted or one that will conform to your unique body type.
- Ease of use: If your postpartum belly wrap is a struggle to put on, chances are that you’ll never use it. Avoid difficult closures and bands that are likely to frustrate and irritate you, and try to go for a more user-friendly design. It should be easy to slip on and should not make you feel that you have just run a marathon by the time you get into it.
- Discreetness: A sleeve-like postpartum belly band is more discreet and seamless than say a wrap with multiple fasteners. This matters all the more if you wear fitted clothes. A skin-colored band is a good choice as it doesn’t show up under clothes. Discretion can enhance your comfort levels as you really don’t want to announce to the whole world that you are wearing a postpartum belly wrap.
- Breathable fabric: You don’t want to be sweating under your postpartum belt, so it’s important to choose a breathable fabric that allows air circulation. If you don’t, your sensitive skin may soon develop rashes or inflamed skin.
- Style and shape: There are various styles of postpartum belly bands and wraps, and some just go around your abdomen and lower pelvis, while others are designed for the whole body. Go for a style that you are personally comfortable with.
- Adjustable: The more economical options usually come in a one size fits all, which may not necessarily be a comfortable fit for you. Intricately designed postpartum belly bands provide a customized fit to suit your size and shape.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the different types of postpartum belly wraps?
Postpartum belly wraps can be classified according to the level of compression they offer and the way they are fastened. The most common type of belly wrap is the belly band, which gives gentle and mild compression and is basically a broad elastic band that wraps around your middle. You can adjust the fit with the help of a velcro fastener, and these wraps offer a lot of support to your abdomen.
A postpartum girdle is quite similar but offers a higher level of compression than a belly band or wrap. It, too, has a velcro fastener and sometimes even features a hook-and-eye fastener. You need to be careful with this postpartum belly wrap as sometimes, it may cause too much compression and cause severe discomfort and even a prolapse. A postpartum corset is not as adjustable as a belly wrap, so you need to be sure of the size you get. They are often more of a body shaper than a product for postpartum support as they cinch your waist and fasten with a hook and eye.
2. What are the benefits of a postpartum belly wrap?
The most obvious benefit is that they give support and compression to the lower back and abdomen muscles. They are also known to improve breathing and circulation. These wraps are perfect for use after c-sections and other abdominal surgeries and help when the abdominals remain separated after pregnancy, a condition known as diastasis recti. They offer relief from lower back pain, pain around a c-section incision, improve posture, and reduce swelling. A belly wrap also acts like a body shaper and gives a smoother appearance under clothes.
3. Do postpartum belly wraps really work?
A postpartum belly wrap does give your abdomen and back support after childbirth or a c-section and also offers pain relief after surgery.
4. How long should you bind your belly after birth?
For a minimum of 40 days and longer if possible, and for around 10 to 12 hours every day. In case you have had a c-section, it’s advisable to wait for around 6 weeks till the incision is healed before using an after-pregnancy belly band.
5. How many hours a day should I wear a postpartum belt?
Around 10 to 12 hours every day generally works well for most women. But there’s no hard-and-fast rule about the duration. It’s best to start with a few hours and gradually work your way up as you get more comfortable wearing it. Also avoid using it while sleeping at night as it gives a chance to your skin to breathe.
6. Does a postpartum belt reduce the tummy?
There is no medical proof that they can reduce the tummy, despite claims that they shrink the uterus and reduce water retention. But they do offer support to the muscles, give pain relief, and improve posture.
7. Is belly binding after pregnancy safe?
Postpartum belly binding, if done properly, offers support to the pelvic floor muscle with gentle and light compression around the hips and abdomen. It also supports ligaments and muscles by holding them in place during the healing process.
8. How long does it take for the belly to flatten after pregnancy?
Usually, by the time the first month is over, you are likely to lose around 20 pounds without doing too much for it. Your uterus will shrink to its pre-pregnancy size after another 2 weeks and your belly will look flatter.
9. Can I wear my postpartum belt while sleeping?
It’s advisable not to do that as your skin needs to breathe, and it also might reduce blood circulation. It’s better to wear it for 10 to 12 hours during the day and remove it before sleeping.
Why Trust MomJunction?
We have conducted thorough research and examined user reviews on trusted online forums to shortlist the best postpartum belly wraps. Apart from our list of recommended products, we have also included detailed information about these products along with their pros and cons. The belly wraps mentioned here can support your back and reduce pain during the postpartum period. They are made of high-quality, comfortable materials for easy wearing. We have also added a buying guide so that you can make an informed decision.
Postpartum abdominal wraps are designed to provide a generous amount of support to your back and abdomen. These compressors help restore the flexibility and strength of your muscles and ligaments, which might naturally feel out of shape after normal or cesarean delivery. The best postpartum belly wraps listed here are comfortable, super lightweight, and crafted with breathable fabrics, so you can start feeling like your pre-pregnancy self in no time and improve your posture. When choosing one, make sure to prioritize comfort, functionality, ease of use, adjustability, and design to find the perfect fit for your needs. Also, make it a point to consult your obstetrician or physical therapist before investing in one to avoid any complications.
Infographic: How To Use A Postpartum Belly Wrap?
Postpartum belly wraps are specially designed compression garments that aid in recovery after childbirth. These wraps help to tone and shape the abdominal area while providing comfort and stability. However, it is advisable to follow certain precautions and guidelines to ensure safe and effective use. Refer to the infographic below to learn how to use postpartum belly wraps appropriately.
- Postpartum Belly Wraps: Purpose Types Benefits & Risks.