New mothers may experience bleeding for two to six weeks after delivery. Thus, you need the best postpartum pads to keep yourself comfortable and reduce leakage. These pads are absorbent, soft on the vaginal skin, and help control the bleeding effectively. They also foster faster healing and limit irritation, skin rash, and infections compared to regular period pads, menstrual cups, and tampons.
Keep scrolling as we have listed various high-quality postpartum pads for you to choose from. The tried-and-tested pads listed here offer protection for several hours and are soft and safe.
13 Best Postpartum Pads
1. Best Absorbent:Poise Incontinence Pads
If you are bleeding heavily, then you may opt for Poise pads designed primarily for urinary incontinence. Their absorbency makes them ideal for new mothers in the initial days postpartum. Loved by reviewers, the generous shape offers good coverage to your underwear, from the front to the back. It is available in two packs of 45 pads each.
- Three-in-one protection for comfort, dryness, and odor control
- Day or night pads offer up to 12 hours of protection
- Locks in wetness quickly
- Long pad does not fold
- Dry touch layer for comfort
- May have an unpleasant odor
- Does not have wings
"I rely on this product for heavy days as it offers excellent leak protection. Although the wings tend to stick to silk underwear, I have not faced such issues with other materials. Besides keeping me stain-free, they also keep skin irritation at bay. Hence, they have been my faithful companions for years."
2. Best Soft:Stayfree Maxi Overnight Pads With Wings
Stayfree Maxi pads for after childbirth are designed to give you a fresh feeling all day long with their unique technology and anti-leak core. The multi-fluid absorption pads lock in the period blood, urinary leak, and moisture too. The pads are available in packs of 28 and 40.
- Ultra-soft cotton cover for maximum comfort
- Neutralizes and prevents odor
- Has 24 anti-leak channels that block leaks from the front, back, and sides
- Overnight protection for heavy bleeding, discharge, and perspiration
- Quick-absorbing quilt cover
- Some may not like the scented pads
- Some may feel uncomfortable owing to the thickness of the pad
"I found these pads remarkably well-designed and comfortable to wear. They're less bulky than alternatives I've tried and gentle on my lingerie during removal. That said, a strong adhesive for the back wings could have been better. However, I still appreciate the comfortable fit and continue to buy them."
3. Best Dermatologically Tested:Always Radiant Feminine Pads
If you have stitches from a cesarean section, you may want an extra soft pad to control postpartum bleeding or leaks. Always Radiant feminine pads use flex-foam that keeps you comfortable and also safe. The strong adhesive and the mesh liner ensure that the pad stays in place. You can choose from three-pack or six-pack options, with each pack containing 30 pads.
- 100% leak and odor-free protection
- Thin and flexible pads
- Absorbs ten times their weight
- Each pack comes with a surprise design of warm tropical prints and neon vibes
- Handy sizing chart helps you choose the right fit depending on your flow and size
- Some may not like the scent
- May be slightly thin
"I have used these pads since my teens, and they never disappoint. The scent is a delight, and it does a great job masking the period smell without messing with my pH balance. Slender and comfy, they're a winner for heavy days, as they absorb well while staying discreet."
|Poise Incontinence Pads||Stayfree Maxi Overnight Pads With Wings||Always Radiant Feminine Pads|
|Dimensions||11 x 13.31 x 14.75 inches||3.14 x 8.69 x 8.75 inches||4.21 x 4.53 x 8.07 inches|
|Weight||0.3 Ounces||13.25 Ounces||5.6 Ounces|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
4. Best Protection:Always Maxi Overnight Pads
Consider this Always Maxi Overnight Pads to stay protected from leaks and stains during the night. They are firm with deep channels that absorb fluid and keep it away from the front, back, and sides. You can get them in a pack of four with 36 pads in each.
- LeakGuard Core for quick absorption
- Offers up to ten hours of protection
- 2x larger back protection
- Sizing chart to choose the right fit
- Flexi wings protect your clothes
- May be too long and uncomfortable for some
- Back end may not stick properly
"Always Maxi is rightly titled, fitting comfortably with just the right length, wings, and absorbency. For me, they’ve outperformed other 'maxi' and 'overnight' pads. Although no pad provides perfect comfort, these are easy to live with. Despite a few tearing issues, these longer, highly absorbent pads have served me well for years."
5. Best Odor Free:Always Xtra Protection Daily Feminine Panty Liners
Always Xtra Protection Daily panty liners are designed to offer everyday protection against leaks and moisture. Their LeakGuard and RapidDry features make them ideal during light period days, when wearing a tampon, or in case of mild incontinence. They are available in a pack of six, with 50 pads in each pack.
- Super-soft cover for comfort
- 5x drier and keeps you feeling fresh and clean all day
- Liner stays in place
- Ideal for day and night usage
- May roll up and bunch at the edges
- Sides may not adhere well
- Do not have wings
"Using these liners with different underwear types has been a breeze due to their strong, edge-to-edge adhesive. Although a little slow to absorb, they still do a solid job of making me feel dry. I even introduced them to my tween, who, after some initial hesitation, has grown to love them."
6. Best Twist Resist Design:Carefree Acti-Fresh Body Shape Pantiliners
Pantyliners could be useful if the bleeding is less, or when the heavy flow gradually reduces a few weeks postpartum. Carefree offers these unscented panty liners that are thin and shaped to fit the underwear. With many positive reviews, they are available in thin, long, regular, and extra-long variants.
- Honeycomb soft quilted design for comfort
- Controls odor up to eight hours
- Extra-long daily liners
- Adequate absorbency for light flow
- Core locks in the fluid and moisture quicker
- Do not have wings to protect the sides of the underwear
- May have a distinctive smell
"While I felt that the individual plastic wrapping was excessive, I appreciated the lengthy and absorbent nature of these Carefree liners. Their thin yet superior adhesive design was comfortable and did not cause any irritation, a definite plus. The liners proved to be particularly helpful while traveling."
7. Best Slip Resistant:Vakly Curity Maternity Pad
Postpartum bleeding is heavy, and heavy flow needs proper support, which Vakly Curity maternity pads can offer. These pads are bulky and thick, which helps in absorbing more fluid and moisture. They are available in a pack of two, with 14 pads in each pack.
- Soft and comfortable postpartum pads for extra care
- Adheres well to the underwear
- Pads are 4.33 inches (10.99cm) wide and 12.25 inches (31.11cm) long.
- Maximum absorbent nature
- Some may find them uncomfortable due to their thickness
- Do not have wings
"I needed something larger, akin to hospital-grade pads. These met my expectations - very soft, non-irritating even after prolonged wear, and they help with my heavy postpartum flow. Although regular use can be slightly irksome because of their size, they're very absorbent, leak-resistant, and less bulky than most. I'm glad I purchased these for my postpartum period."
8. Best Ultra Absorbent:Rael Certified Organic Cotton Menstrual Regular Pads
If you want to protect the environment while protecting your body from chemical exposure, Rael organic pads could be one of the best postpartum sanitary pads to consider. According to the reviewers, these comfortable and breathable pads are ideal for postpartum care as they are crafted with organic cotton, free from pesticides, dyes, GMOs, fragrances, or chlorine. They are available in regular, large, and overnight sizes.
- 100% certified organic cotton cover
- Super absorbent core prevents leaks and overflow
- Hypoallergenic and soft sheets
- Leak locker technology traps fluids and moisture
- Dermatologist-tested and safe for all skin types
- Wings hold the pad in place
- Might be slightly stiff
- May not adhere well
"These pads are super soft, and their absorbency mechanism pulls the fluid to the center to prevent leaks, even on heavy days. They haven't caused any irritation or pH issues, as they are chemical-free. The wings add to the excellent coverage, making it an ideal choice for the postpartum period."
9. Best For Teenagers:U by Kotex Fitness Ultra Thin Pads
U by Kotex pads are designed for active women who wish to do moderate workout postpartum. They are thin pads with Flexi wings that stay in place even when you are working out or indulging in physical activity. They come in vibrant prints and in a pretty drawstring pack.
- Moisture-wicking feature keeps you dry
- Unique wings to hold the pad in place
- Quickly locks in wetness
- Regular absorbency
- Lotion-free and fragrance-free
- May not be absorbent enough for some
"These Kotex period pads meet my needs for thinness, length, and excellent absorbency. The unique shape handles potential leaks well. Although initially stiff, they become comfortable with movement. I also really appreciate that they are fragrance-free. Overall, it is a very satisfactory product that I have been using for years and will continue to do so."
10. Best Biodegradable:Organyc 100% Organic Cotton Feminine Pads
This is another organic cotton pad for postpartum use from Organyc brand that offers a range of hygiene needs. It is made of biodegradable cotton certified by Global Organic Textile Standards and is free of chlorine, parabens, latex, fragrances, or any other artificial agents. The pack contains about ten pad suitable for moderate and super flows.
- Certified organic top sheet protects the skin and prevents irritation
- Dermatologist tested
- Comfortable wings prevent leaks
- Ultrathin pad with good absorbency
- pH balanced for sensitive skin
- Thin and light, which may not work for overnight flow
- May not be ideal for very heavy flow
"I began using Organyc pads due to allergies, and they've been a saving grace. As for the adhesive on the wings, it needs a little pressing to stay in place. However, I appreciate Organyc's commitment to making organic, biodegradable, and hypoallergenic pads. They're great for regular use, overnight needs, and heavy days, and they do not irritate the skin like other brands. Despite the adhesive issue, they have become my go-to pads."
11. Best Charcoal Bamboo:Dutchess Cloth Menstrual Pads
Although cloth pads are not as convenient as disposable ones, they are the right solution to save your money as well as the environment, as they do not add up to the landfill. The Dutchess pads use a double charcoal bamboo layer that offers good absorbency. They have wings secured by a snap and can be folded for storage.
- Cotton microfleece layers protect the skin
- Ideal for heavy flow and overnight flow
- Washable, reusable, and hence, sustainable
- Odor-resistant and easy stain removal
- May not stay in place as they do not have adhesive properties
12. Best Vegan:Natracare Organic and Natural Ultra Extra Pads
Natracare pads are 100% organic and disposable postpartum pads and work well for heavy bleeding and overnight flow. They are made of eco-friendly material and free from plastics, GMOs, dyes, bleach, chlorine, and fragrances. The tried-and-tested pads are available in multiple sizes, and this ultra-extra pad pack contains eight pads.
- Non-irritating pads for sensitive postpartum skin
- Certified organic cotton cover makes them soft and breathable
- Biodegradable and compostable
- Long and absorbent
- Thin and flimsy
- May not stick well to the panty
"Previously, I've had issues with non-organic pads causing skin troubles, but these compostable ones from Natracare resolved these problems. Although fixing the wings in place requires practice, the pads, on the other hand, are long and absorbent, and the vegan make is a big plus."
13. Best 0% Fragrances:Seventh Generation Ultrathin Pads
These chlorine-free feminine pads prevent polluting the waterways, unlike conventional pads containing chlorinated hydrocarbons. They feature a natural material derived from wheat and are free of dyes and fragrances.
- Soft and cloth-like top cover
- No-slip adhesive
- Wings hold them comfortably
- Offers protection for moderate flow
- Individually wrapped to keep them hygienic
- May bunch up as the pad gets wet
- May not be very soft
"The chemical-free nature of these ultra-thin pads is the first thing that won me over. Although slightly longer than expected, its adhesive ensures they stay put and do not rub against the skin. They have been perfect for both heavy and light days and have been a great find in trying to switch to non-toxic products."
How To Choose The Right Pads After Delivery?
To stay comfortable and clean, you need the best postpartum pads to meet your personal needs. Here are a few factors you should consider when choosing one.
- Softness: The perineal region will be sore postpartum, especially if you had a cesarean section. Thus, avoid textured or mesh pads.
- Absorbency: Choose an extra-absorbent pad for postpartum use to reduce the chances of stained clothing and irritation. Depending on how much you are bleeding, you may choose the pad after reading its features and reviews.
- Size and shape: You may need a large one in the initial postpartum days, but as days pass by, you can switch to a smaller pad. Also, opt for those with wings as they protect your clothing from leaks.
- Material: Postpartum pads are made of a variety of materials. Choose natural, unscented, and reusable pads.
Kay Lakka, founder of Londontherapy and a doula and hypnobirthing teacher, says, “At this stage in your life, you may have doubts about what is normal or acceptable. Insecurity about odors or stains can affect your mental health, and subsequently, your physical health. So pick the right pads to stay comfortable and maintain your mental as well as physical health.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna, the author of this article, has put together the best postpartum pads that are comfortable, highly absorbent, and do not irritate the skin. She has researched multiple user reviews and compared different products before preparing this list. Vibha has provided a detailed description of each pad and listed their pros and cons to help you get a clear picture of the products. Furthermore, she has included a buying guide to help you make an informed buying decision.
The best postpartum pads are highly absorbent to reduce the risk of leakage and stains after delivery. It is important to find the right type of pad, whether winged or reusable, according to the mother’s preference. Some primary criteria for choosing a postpartum pad are comfort and ease of use. You could also prioritize dermatologist-certified pads if you have sensitive skin, and choose ones that feel soft against the skin to reduce the risk of rashes. You could also look for pads that neutralize odor, are thin for comfort, and have a broader back to prevent leaks.
Infographic: How To Make Heavy Periods More Manageable?
Heavy periods can be a challenging experience for many women, but there are effective strategies to make them more manageable and reduce the risk of leaks. Implementing practical tips and using appropriate menstrual products can provide greater comfort and peace of mind. Explore the infographic below to discover how to navigate heavy periods with ease.
- Pregnancy: Physical Changes After Delivery.
- Best Cloth Pads For Convenient Use
- Best Tampons For Heavy Periods
- Best Maternity Pads After Birth
- Best Cloth Menstrual Pads