After delivery, new mothers may experience bleeding for about two to six weeks. During this phase, postpartum pads could be used to make them comfortable and prevent leakage. These pads are gentle on the vaginal skin, absorbent, and handle the bleeding well. Compared to regular menstrual pads, menstrual cups, and tampons, they promote quicker healing, minimize irritation, skin rash, and infections.
If you’re looking for some of the best postpartum pads you can buy online, here is a list for you.
13 Best Postpartum Pads
If you are bleeding heavily, then you may opt for Poise pads designed primarily for urinary incontinence. Their absorbency makes them ideal for new mothers in the initial days postpartum. The generous shape offers good coverage to your underwear, from the front to the back. It is available in two packs of 45 pads each.
- Three-in-one protection for comfort, dryness, and odor control
- The day or night pads offer up to 12 hours of protection
- Locks away the wetness quickly
- Long pad that does not fold
- Dry touch layer for comfort
- May have an unpleasant odor
- Does not have wings
Stayfree pads are designed to give you a fresh feeling all day long using a unique technology with an anti-leak core. The multi-fluid absorption pads lock in the period blood, urinary leak, and moisture too. The pads are available in packs of 28 and 40.
- Ultra-soft cotton cover for maximum comfort
- Neutralizes and prevents odor
- 24 anti-leak channels block leaks from the front, back, and sides
- Overnight protection for heavy bleeding, discharge, and perspiration
- Quick-absorbing quilt cover
- Some women may not like the scented pads
- Some may feel uncomfortable owing to the thickness of the pad
If you have stitches from a cesarean section, you may want an extra soft pad to control postpartum bleeding or leaks. Always Radiant feminine pads use flex-foam that keeps you comfortable and also safe. The strong adhesive and the mesh liner ensure that the pad stays in place. You can choose from three-pack or six-pack options, with each pack containing 30 pads.
- 100% leak and odor-free protection
- Thin and flexible pads
- Absorbs ten times their weight
- Each pack comes with a surprise design of warm tropical prints and neon vibes
- Handy sizing chart helps you choose the right fit, depending on your flow and size
- Emits odor that some may not like
- Thinness of this pad has mixed reviews
Consider this Always Maxi Overnight Pads to stay protected from leaks and stains during the night. They are firm with deep channels that absorb fluid and keep it away from the front, back, and sides. You can get them in a pack of four with 36 pads in each.
- LeakGuard Core absorbs in seconds
- Up to ten hours protection
- 2x larger back protection
- Sizing chart to choose the right fit
- Flexi wings protect your clothes
- May be too long and uncomfortable for some
- Back end may not stick properly
Always Xtra Protection Daily panty liners are designed to offer everyday protection against leaks and moisture. Their LeakGuard and RapidDry features makes them ideal during light period days, when wearing a tampon, or in case of mild incontinence. They are available in a pack of six, with 50 pads in each pack.
- Super-soft cover for comfort
- 5x drier and keeps you feeling fresh and clean all day
- The liner stays in place
- Day and night usage
- Could also be used for light urine loss
- May roll up and bunch at the edges
- Sticky sides may not adhere well
- Do not have wings
Pantyliners could be useful if the bleeding is less, or when the heavy flow gradually reduces a few weeks postpartum. Carefree offers unscented panty liners that are thin and shaped to fit the underwear. They are available in variants of thin, long, regular, and extra-long.
- Honeycomb soft quilted design for comfort
- Controls odor up to eight hours
- Extra-long daily liners
- Adequate absorbency for light flow
- Core locks in the fluid and moisture quicker
- Do not have wings that would protect the sides of the underwear
- May give some distinctive smell
- Length may not be enough for some
Postpartum bleeding is heavier, and heavy flow needs proper support, which Vakly Curity maternity pads can offer. They are bulky and thick, which helps in absorbing more fluid and moisture. Each pad is individually in a box of 14.
- Soft and comfortable for postpartum care
- Adheres well to the underwear
- Pads are 4.33 inches (10.99cm) wide and 12.25 inches (31.11cm) long.
- Maximum absorbent nature
- Some may feel uncomfortable due to their thickness
- No wings, so may not hold well
If you want to protect the environment while protecting your body from chemical exposure, Rael organic pads could be one of the best postpartum pads to consider. Created from organic cotton, they do not contain any pesticides, dyes, GMOs, fragrances, or chlorine. They are available in regular, large, and overnight sizes.
- 100% certified organic cotton cover
- Super absorbent core prevents leaks and overflowing
- Hypoallergenic, breathable, and soft sheets give maximum airflow
- Leak locker technology traps fluids and moisture
- Dermatologist tested, and safe for all skin types
- Wings hold the pad in place
- Some women complain of their stiffness
- May not adhere well
- Absorbency may not be good enough
U by Kotex are designed for active women who wish to get into some moderate workout postpartum. They are thin, feminine pads with Flexi wings that would stay in place even when you are working out or indulging in physical activity. They are individually packed in vibrant prints that come in a pretty drawstring pack.
- Moisture-wicking feature keeps you feeling dry
- Unique wings to hold the pad in place, and protects panty edges
- Quickly locks in wetness
- Available in two absorbencies – heavy and regular
- Lotion-free and fragrance-free
- May not be absorbent enough for some
This is another organic cotton pads from Organyc brand that offers a range of hygiene needs to beauty care. They are made of biodegradable cotton certified by Global Organic Textile Standards, and free from chlorine, parabens, latex, fragrances, or any other artificial agents. The pack contains about ten pads, which can be suitable for moderate and super flows.
- Organic top sheet protects the skin and prevents irritation
- Comfortable wings prevent leaks
- Good for heavy flow
- Ultrathin pad with better absorbency
- pH balanced for sensitive skin
- Thin and light, which may not work for overnight flow
- May not be ideal for heavy flow
Although cloth pads are not as convenient as disposable ones, they are the right solution to save your money as well as the environment, as they do not add up to the landfill. The Dutchess pads use a double charcoal bamboo layer that has functional absorbance capacity. They have wings secured by a snap that could be even folded for storage.
- Cotton microfleece layers protect the skin
- Ideal for heavy flow and overnight flow
- Washable, reusable, and hence, sustainable
- Odor-resistant and easy stain removal
- May not stay in place as they do not have adhesive properties
Natracare pads are 100% organic and disposable and work well for heavy bleeding and overnight flow. They are made of eco-friendly material and free from plastics, GMOs, dyes, bleach, chlorine, and fragrances. You will get them in multiple sizes, and this ultra-extra pad pack contains eight pads.
- Non-irritating and suitable for sensitive skin
- Organic cotton cover makes them soft and breathable
- Biodegradable and compostable
- Long and absorbent
- Thin and flimsy
- May not stick well to the panty
Seventh Generation is one of the top eco-friendly makers of diapers, and other women’s hygiene products. These chlorine-free feminine pads prevent polluting the waterways, unlike conventional pads containing chlorinated hydrocarbons. They feature a natural material derived from wheat and are free of dyes and fragrances.
- Soft and cloth-like top cover
- No-slip adhesive
- Wings hold them comfortably
- Offers protection for moderate flow
- Individually wrapped to keep them hygienic
- May bunch up as the pad gets wet
- May not be as soft as specified
How To Choose The Right Pads After Delivery?
To stay comfortable and clean, you need the best postpartum pads to meet your personal needs. Here are a few features you should consider while looking for the pads.
- Softness: The perineal region will be sore postpartum, especially if you had a cesarean section. A soft pad will be comfortable as textured, or mesh pads may hurt the stitches.
- Absorbency: Choose a highly absorbent pad to reduce the chances of stained clothing and irritation. Depending on how much you are bleeding, you may choose the pad after reading its features and reviews.
- Size and shape: You may need a large one in the initial postpartum days, but as days pass by, you can switch to a smaller pad. Also, opt for those with wings as they protect your clothing from leaks.
- Material: Postpartum pads are made of a variety of materials, whether natural or not, scented or unscented, and reusable or disposable. So go through the features and choose one that fits your preferences.
These are the best picks with pros and cons, along with the qualities to choose when you are going to purchase postpartum pads. Read the reviews and compare the features so you can buy the right one to meet your needs.