Engaging in pottery can be beneficial for children in many ways. However, to help them learn this new skill, they need the best pottery wheels that are child-friendly and easy to operate.
Complex wheels can discourage children and make them miss out on a big learning opportunity, so ensure choosing a simple one. Pottery is a fun and educational activity that can help soothe children’s nerves, fire their imagination, improve their hand-eye coordination, and boost their attention capacity.
Here are our reviews of the top pottery wheels for kids to help you narrow down your search and pick the most suitable one for your child.
Types Of Pottery Wheels
Before getting into the list of pottery wheels, let us understand their categorization. There are two types of pottery wheels based on their spinning mechanism.
Foot-pedal operated pottery wheel: This operates like a sewing machine. You need to use the foot to press the pedal and spin the wheel. This type could be preferred for an older kid, as younger ones could find it a bit complicated. It requires more focus and coordination as the child needs to work both the feet and the hands at the same time to shape the clay.
Switch-operated pottery wheel: It operates by a switch, and usually comes with multiple speed options. It allows the child to focus completely on their hands for shaping the clay. It is easy-to-use and could be preferable for younger kids.
Our Top Picks
10 Best Pottery Wheels For Kids
The Cool Maker pottery wheel kit makes it easy to design, sculpt, paint, and customize the clay creations. The package comes with two pounds of clay, spray bottle, tool holder, paintbrush, sculpting tools, coring tools, ten metallic paints, and an instruction manual.
- Sculpting tools and metallic paints offer customization of clay
- Includes additional clay refills and projects kits
- Easy-to-do air-dry clay projects
- Ideal for children aged six years and above
- Easy-to-follow instructions for making beautiful art pieces
- Batteries are not included
- May spin slowly
- Could be hard to use without a foot-pedal
If your child is interested in sculpting, this pottery wheel could be something they may like. With a foot-pedal operation for established potters, this kit comes with a pottery wheel, three pounds of clay, craft apron, six-piece toolset, table-cover, 12 pots of paint, two paintbrushes, and instructions.
- Synthetic clay that is free from bacteria and microbes
- Instruction booklet teaches the kids’ varied pottery techniques and ancient pottery history
- Battery-powered for safe operation
- Suitable for kids above eight years
- Hands-free wheel that sculpts and molds easily
- Motor may be a bit noisy
- Batteries are not included
The Mindware pottery wheel is created with beginners in mind and helps children learn the basics of pottery. It includes a pedal, two pounds of air-dried clay, 12 colors of paint, AC adaptor, paintbrushes, and illustrated instructions. It features a multi-speed motor, tool support bar, and splatter shield.
- Includes an additional five pounds of clay
- Could withstand multiple crafting sessions
- Suitable for children aged over seven years
- Motor stops on applying high pressure
- Dual-direction design allows left-handed kids to use with ease
- Slow spinning wheel may not properly mold the clay
- Not suitable for older children
- Motor may create noise
This pottery wheel for kids allows your child to create different clay products with ease. It comes with motorized foot pedal, clay cutting cord, six paint pots (of 3ml each), paintbrushes, paint palette, sponge, centering tube, jewel stones, and two pounds clay.
- Portable and can be carried anywhere
- Clay requires no baking
- Can be powered by batteries or an AC adapter plugged to an electrical outlet
- Recommended for kids aged eight years and above
- Ideal for beginners
- Does not contain an instruction guide
- Wheel may stop when pressure is applied
- Does not include batteries
Let your child feel the clay and explore the joy of creating small pots with this kit. Possibly one of the best pottery wheels for children to improve their hand-eye coordination, this kit contains 800 grams of clay, one cutting cord, two sculpting tools, and six metallic paint colors.
- Easy-to-use air-dry clay
- Sculpting tools allow customization of the clay
- Suitable for kids aged eight and above
- Made up of environmentally friendly materials
- Available in pink and blue colors
- Motor may be noisy
- Does not have an instruction manual
- Battery power would not be sufficient to run the wheel with pressure
The Made By Me pottery wheel could be an ideal pick for your child who shows a keen interest in exploring this skill. The kit contains a motorized pottery wheel, foot pedal, adjustable tool arm, ceramic paint strip, cutting cord, paintbrush, and clay tools.
- D batteries required for operating the set
- Baking is not necessary
- Ideal for children ages six and above
- User manual could be downloaded
- Clay may turn hard in the air
- May give terrible noise like that of a grinder
- Batteries not included
The Small World Toys are leading manufacturers known to deliver safe, fun, and innovative products for all ages. This pottery kit gives your kids a chance to sculpt and decorate ceramic pots, vases, and more. The kit contains two paint pots, two sculpting tools, two pounds of clay, and a paintbrush.
- Operates on two C batteries
- Has adjustable speed control
- Removable pottery clay that is easy to clean
- Suitable for kids aged from eight to twelve
- Might require parents’ assistance to knead the clay
An exceptionally sturdy pottery wheel from the Echo Toys, this works on both batteries and electricity. The kit includes two pounds of air-dry clay, two clay knives, six paint pots, a cutting cord, and two paintbrushes.
- Includes an instruction guide
- Simple and easy for kids to use
- Requires minimal supervision by parents
- Suitable for kids ages eight years and above
- Motor may become slow with pressure
The Pottery Cool exclusive pottery set comes with six ready-to-shape clay molds and a tabletop wheel. It includes a water spray dispenser, sculpting tools, paints, paintbrushes, and a ceramic marker pen to personalize the tiny pots.
- Operates on battery
- Suitable for the kids above six years
- Could help in making basic cups, jewelry holders, and other receptacles
- Includes an instruction manual
- Does not include batteries
Your child’s ability to focus and coordinate could improve with this small ceramic pottery wheel. They would love the beautiful green color that works with the turbo vortex motor deceleration design. It requires 12V DC power supply, operates on the pedal, and includes brushes and other accessories.
- Suitable for beginners, sculptors, and pottery enthusiasts
- Speed is adjustable manually
- Made of high-quality plastic that is durable
- Forward and reverse switchable option
- Lightweight and portable
- Might require parental assistance
How To Choose The Right Pottery Wheels?
Keep the following features in mind before you decide to buy a pottery wheel for your child.
- Child’s age: Pottery wheels are recommended for different age groups. Consider a simpler one for younger children, whereas a comprehensive one for the older ones.
- Power system: Check if the spinning mechanism is suitable for your kid. Check if they are comfortable with pedal-operated or switch-operated types.
- Safety: Since pottery involves the holding of clay and other materials, it is important to see if the clay provided is non-toxic and safe to use.
- Budget: Decide on the product that is reasonably priced and one that has more features. Make a firm decision before you plan to buy one.
Engaging in pottery can be therapeutic, but if you are new to pottery, you would want some help in finding the best pottery wheels. The options listed here are easy to use and ideal for children. The best pottery wheels are speed-adjustable, made of safe materials, and come with eco-friendly clays and colors. These wheels also help improve children’s hand-eye coordination, develop their fine motor skills, and enhance their senses. Further, they help unleash your child’s artistic side and keep them engaged for hours on end.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah creates well-researched content for kids and household-related goods. He brings a detailed list of some of the best pottery wheels available in the market. Pottery wheels are a fun way for children to learn many things. This list brings simple, less complex, and age-appropriate pottery wheel options for kids. These pottery wheels have good ratings and reviews on several e-commerce sites. The article also has a buying guide to help you make the right choice.
Recommended Articles :
- Best Abstract Board Games
- Best Educational Board Games
- Best Board Games For 10-12 Year Olds
- Best Sci-Fi Board Games