Potty training lets you say goodbye to diapers gradually. But between being fully potty-trained and totally dependent on diapers, your toddler is in an in-between phase. During this phase, they involuntarily answer nature’s call in the underwear, with no diaper on.
That can be one messy situation that any parent would want to avoid. This is where potty training pants can help.
In this MomJunction post, we tell you about the types of potty training pants and the best potty training pants that you may consider buying.
What Are Potty Training Pants?
Potty training pants are diapers shaped like underwear. Their main purpose is to help the toddler progress from wearing a diaper all the time to wearing just regular underwear. These pants handle any accidental spillage, while also letting the little one grow comfortable in the underwear. Potty training pants vary in design and usability.
What Are The Types Of Toddler Training Pants?
There are two types of potty training pants for toddlers:
- Pull-ups, which are fundamentally underwear-shaped diapers. The construction is the same as diapers – plastic from the outside with soft fabric on the inside. There is an elastic waist strap that lets the toddler pull the diaper up and down. Pull-ups are best for young toddlers, who still poop in their diapers.
- Standard training pants resemble regular underwear. They are predominantly made of fabric with a thick absorbent material along the crotch. Training pants can handle wetting and some poop, but may not work well for full-fledged soiling like pull-ups. These are thus better for older toddlers who mostly use the potty.
Both are training pants, and have a similar set of features. You must make a choice depending on your requirements.
How To Choose Potty Training Pants?
Keep the following points in mind when buying training pants for your toddler:
- Right size: The sizes of the training pants vary from brand to brand. Also, most manufacturers recommend training pants based on the toddlers’ weight. So, check the manufacturer’s sizing chart to determine the right size and the ideal fit for the toddler.
- The number of pants per pack: Choose a pack with more number of pants, especially if your toddler recently began potty training. This will leave you with a sufficient number of pants even if your child has an accidental leak.
- Overnight protection: Some potty training pants are labeled for overnight use and thus are more absorbent. These are best suited for nighttime usage when your toddler is quite unlikely to visit the potty.
- Tear-away side: The diaper will either have a Velcro attachment on the side or a seam for one-time tear before disposal. It makes it easier for a parent to remove the diaper.
- Gender specificity if any: Training pants are unisex unless specified for a particular gender on the packaging. Manufacturers add design changes in the training pants depending on whether it is made for toddler girls or boys. Check the packet for details and then make a purchase.
Next, we list the best training pants that you may consider using when your toddler is under potty training.
[ Read: Wipes For Babies ]
11 Best Potty Training Pants
Training Pants For Girls
1. Huggies Pull-Ups Learning Designs Training Underwear
- It has tear-away sides, which make removing the diaper easy.
- There are attractive illustrations at the front. These graphics are also functional and begin to fade when the diaper is wet, thus indicating that the diaper is soiled.
- The material is soft, stretchy, and yet seals well from all sides.
- The pull-up style training pants are available in the regular and nighttime variants. You can pick from ten size options.
2. Pampers Easy Ups Training Underwear
- The waistband has 360° stretchiness, which seals it well from all sides. The reinforced bands seal off on the sides of the leg.
- There is a tear-away seam on the sides, which allows for easy removal of the diaper.
- The material is super soft and feels like cotton underwear. Extra absorbent channels within the diaper absorb more and reduce the number of diaper changes.
- The pull-up style training pants are also available in a pack of 140.
Training Pants For Boys
3. Disney Boys’ Toddler Training Pants Kit
- The kit contains three reusable, cloth training pants and a four-pack of underwear. It is ideal for toddler boys who are midway in their potty training – they need training pants but can also make do with only the underwear once in a while.
- The training pants are made with polyester and cotton, providing both comfort and absorbency.
- The waist and thigh elastics of the training pants keeps any soiling within.
- Each underwear and training pant has attractive illustrations of Disney characters. You can get the training pants and underwear in three sizes.
4. Huggies Pull-Ups Cool & Learn
- The front of the diaper feels cold to touch when it is entirely soiled. The manufacturer states that it is to help older toddlers know when their diaper is full.
- The illustration at the front also begins to fade when the diaper is wet.
- Fits like underwear and also feels like one due to its soft inner lining. The sides can be opened and refastened for a better fit.
- It comes with a giant coloring mat as an incentive.
- It is a pull-up style training pant available in various sizes and counts to meet your requirements.
[ Read: Baby Diaper Rash Creams ]
Unisex Potty Training Pants
5. Skhls Toddler Cotton Training Pants
- It is almost like regular underwear and made entirely of cotton. You can wash and reuse the training pants.
- Cotton is breathable and also has a natural quality of high absorbency. The padding at the base lets you go longer between changes.
- The stretchy elastic waistband and thigh band keep the training pants in their place while also preventing leakage.
- One pack consists of eight training pants. You can choose various designs in three sizes.
6. Huggies Little Movers Slip-On Diaper Pants
- It is a training pant-style diaper. It is standard diaper with an underwear-like shape, ideal for younger toddlers.
- The pants are stretchy, which prevents restriction on movement for a toddler who has just begun walking.
- The prominent pull tabs on the side make removing the diapers easy. The training pant can provide up to 12 hours of leak protection.
- You can get the training pants in an assortment of sizes, styles, and counts.
7. Luvable Friends Training Pants
- These are washable and reusable training pants made of cotton on the outside and absorbent polyester filling inside.
- The firm elastic around the waist and the thighs prevents any accidental leaks.
- The outer fabric is illustrated with attractive patterns and designs. You can pick from 14 design options depending on the size.
- You get these training pants in a pack of three and seven sizes.
8. Dappi Waterproof Nylon Diaper Pants
- These are pull-up plastic covers that go over the existing underwear and contain any soiling within.
- These are made entirely from nylon, which is durable, tear-proof, and waterproof. The spandex waistband helps keep the pants in their place.
- It is available in five sizes including an extra large size option.
- The product is ideal for older toddlers that are mostly potty trained and have outgrown the purpose of regular training pants. This plastic pants can take care of any minor or infrequent soling by the toddler.
9. Bambo Nature Toilet Training Pants
- The material is thin and breathable, with excellent absorbency.
- The diaper is flexible from all sides. It lets the toddlers go about their day as usual, without any interference from the training pants.
- The product is dermatologically tested and does not cause any irritation or skin allergies.
- You can use it for both daytime and nighttime use. The pant-style diaper is available in two sizes and packs of 18 and more.
10. The Honest Company Toddler Training Pants
- Key features are a stretchy waistband and easy-tear side for convenient removal.
- The absorbent core of the diaper is made from eco-friendly materials sourced from plants that are grown sustainably.
- The material is hypoallergenic. There is no use of latex, chlorine, artificial fragrances, and petrochemical additives.
- You can get it in several sizes and pack counts, with a choice of six exciting design patterns.
[ Read: Newborn Cloth Diapers ]
11. Seventh Generation Toddler Potty Training Pants
- It is safe for toddler’s skin. There is no chlorine, lotions, fragrances, or other chemicals used in the making of the training pants.
- There are two designs available inside the pack. Each diaper is designed such that one can easily tell the front from the back.
- It is designed like a training pant, similar to underwear.
- You can get in a pack with a count of 100 diapers in two sizes.
Training pants are necessary during the baby’s potty training period. They act as a hybrid between a standard diaper and underwear. They make transitioning from diapers to underwear easier, gradually making the child comfortable with using the toilet and not using a diaper.
Have you used training pants for your toddlers? Do share your experience with us in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.
- Laundry Detergents For Babies
- Baby Powders For Your Little Ones
- Best Baby Strollers
- Best Product Brands For Babies