Potty training a child can be challenging. But with the best potty training pants at your disposal, this task becomes much easier. In addition, potty training a child allows you to wean your child off diapers gradually.
However, before your child is fully potty-trained, they may involuntarily soil their underwear. Thus, they would need a lot of parental guidance and the best potty training pants during this phase. Read on as we list the best options you can choose from.
11 Best Potty Training Pants In 2023
Training Pants For Girls
1. Best Easy-To-Remove: Huggies Pull-Ups Learning Designs Training Underwear
Ensure all-round coverage for your little one with these training pants. Here’s a video of showcasing the tester’s experience to help you decide.
- Tear-away sides for easy diaper removal
- Unique wetness indicator – graphics fade when the diaper is soiled
- Soft and stretchable
- Seals from all sides
- Multiple size options and variants
- Velcro may be rough on the skin
- May not be very absorbent
"My little one loves these pull-ups, mainly because of the Minnie prints on them! They are easy to pull on and off—perfect for her potty training journey. These nappies hold up decently, but leakage became an occasional issue when she grew. But they are a good investment —simple to use and very absorbent."
2. Best Stretchable: Pampers Easy Ups Training Underwear
The tried-and-tested training pants are soft and comfortable for easy wearing, and they help keep your child dry throughout the day and night. If you want to know more about this product, here’s a video showcasing the reviewer’s experience.
- Waistband offers 360-degree stretch
- Extra absorbent channels
- Easy diaper removal
- Pull-up design
- Tear-away seams
- Might be scented
- Might be thin
"I was using standard diapers until my baby started removing them on her own. I appreciate how these aren't easily removable by little hands, yet they come with easy rip-off sides so that I can change them without a hassle. The designs are adorable, and the stretchy waistband makes them easy to pull up and down."
Training Pants For Boys
3. Best Reusable: Disney Boys’ Toddler Training Pants Kit
With various fun designs, these training pants are made of 100% cotton for optimal comfort and durability. The pull-on closure makes them easy to wear and a trusted choice.
- Good absorbency and comfort
- Waist and thigh elastics prevent leakage
- Available in three sizes
- Attractive prints
- Might shrink after washing
- Size may run small
"I found these training underpants fitting best for the later stages of potty training, as they absorb small accidents well. The material did shrink slightly upon washing, but they continue to remain comfortable. Despite the minor issues, they serve their purpose well, and the variety of prints excited my son about potty training."
|Huggies Pull-Ups Learning Designs Training Underwear||Pampers Easy Ups Training Underwear||Disney Boys' Toddler Training Pants Kit|
|Dimensions||11.88 x 10.25 x 10.13 inches||13.27 x 18.5 x 11.06 inches||12 x 8 x 2 inches|
|Weight||5 Pounds||9.3 Pounds||8 Ounces|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
4. Best Coverage: Huggies Pull-Ups Girls’ Potty Training Pants
These Huggies potty training pants are suitable for toddlers weighing up to 50lb. The pants are decorated with fun music designs and baby-friendly Minnie Mouse Prints that fade when wet to alert you. These training pants with characters have stretchable sides that are soft on the skin and can be easily worn by young children, promoting independence and confidence. The Pull-Ups voice assistant helps make potty training an interactive and fun experience with positive reinforcement, Disney character calls, and more.
- Easy-open and refastenable sides
- All-round coverage
- Offers leak protection
- Highly absorbent
- May be slightly tight for some
- May not be flexible enough
Unisex Potty Training Pants
5. Best Comfortable: Skhls Toddler Cotton Training Pants
Stretchable and soft, these training pants are made of cotton and waterproof polyester for optimal comfort and dryness. The waist has a small hole that allows you to replace or adjust the elastic, and the leg holes are snug to contain any potty training accidents.
- Washable and reusable
- Padding at the base helps extend changing time
- Helps prevent leakage
- Elastic waistband keeps the pants in place
- Available in various designs and sizes
- May not provide overnight protection
- May not be very absorbent
"I find these training pants as cute as they are convenient. My child can feel the dampness, a feature that aids in the potty training process. Although a little baggy, they work well for accidents, and the fit is snug. All in all, it is a good purchase for those embracing the messy world of potty training."
6. Best Leak-Free: Huggies Little Movers Slip-On Diaper Pants
This training pants-style diaper with an underwear-like shape can be trusted by moms and dads as it provides a comfortable fit and is ideal for younger toddlers.
- Pants are stretchy, which prevents movement restriction
- Prominent pull tabs on the side make removing the diapers easy
- Training pants can provide up to 12 hours of leak protection
- Available in an assortment of sizes, styles, and counts
- May not have adequate cushioning
- May run small
7. Best Washable: Luvable Friends Training Pants
The tried-and-tested training pants are made of cotton and polyester and have a pull-on closure for easy wearing. With four pants in a set, they are suitable for everyday use.
- Washable and reusable
- Absorbent polyester filling
- Soft cotton exterior
- Firm elastic around the thighs and waist to prevent blowouts
- Available in multiple designs and size options
- Waterproof lining may be crinkly
- Colors may bleed after a few washes
"I love the soft fabric and fun patterns of these training pants. They offer a snug, leak-proof fit that's great for potty training. They tend to shrink after multiple washes, so I'd suggest ordering a size up. Despite this, they absorb well and are noticeably superior to other pairs I've used."
8. Best Waterproof: Dappi Waterproof Nylon Diaper Pants
The durable nylon diaper pants come in a pack of two and are machine-washable for easy maintenance. These baby-friendly pants are available in various sizes to suit your child’s requirements.
- Help contain the soiling within
- Spandex waistband keeps the pants in place
- Waterproof, tear-free, and durable
- Suitable for toddlers who are almost potty trained
- Sizes may not be accurate
- Elastic may not be waterproof
"I found these sunglasses pretty adorable, and they fit my baby well. It is their durability that really astounded me, easily surviving the rough handling of a two-year-old. The strap, however, feels loose if not fixed properly. But with patient use, they stay on comfortably and protect the baby from the harsh sun, making these a worthy investment."
9. Best Breathable: Bambo Nature Toilet Training Pants
The expert-approved diaper is flexible from all sides. It lets the toddlers go about their day as usual without any interference from the training pants.
- Material is thin and breathable, with good absorbency
- Dermatologically tested and does not cause irritation or skin allergies
- Suitable for potty training at night
- Available in two sizes and packs of 18 and more
- May have sizing issues
- May leak from the sides
"I've found these eco-friendly training pants extremely absorbent and comfortable, even during overnight use. These soft diapers are ideal for sensitive skin and offer movability for my active little ones. The sizes run small and may be a snug fit for older toddlers. My advice is to size up. Overall, it is a trusted brand for chemical-free, comfy training pants."
10. Best Hypoallergenic: The Honest Company Toddler Training Pants
The soft and comfortable training pants offer an underwear-like feel, and their inner and outer layers ensure optimal dryness throughout the day.
- Stretchable waistband
- Tear side for easy removal
- Eco-friendly and hypoallergenic material
- Absorbent core
- Available in various designs and sizes
- Might run large
- Waistband design could have been better
"Switching to these toddler training pants was a great move for my daughter, who loves the designs. They handle leaks well and are absorbent, plus they're comfortable on sensitive skin. They may not be suitable for nighttime usage as they are more suited for smaller messes, but they did a fair job promoting potty training."
11. Best Fragrance-Free: Seventh Generation Toddler Potty Training Pants
Suitable for boys and girls, these training pants are available in various sizes to suit your child’s needs. These safe and effective potty training pants are free of chlorine, fragrances, and bleaching to ensure your child’s safety.
- Skin-safe material
- Two unique designs
- Designed like a training pant
- Lasts long
- May not be suitable for heavy wetters
- May not be easy to put on and take off
"These Seventh Generation diapers have been reliable for my toddler's potty training. I appreciate that they are free of artificial fragrances and lotions and have a large coverage area. The absorbency level might feel a little low if your little ones tend to be heavy-wetters. However, I've found these diapers to be generally effective, and I will continue purchasing them."
What Are Potty Training Pants?
Potty training pants are diapers shaped like underwear. Their main purpose is to help the toddler progress from wearing a diaper all the time to wearing just regular underwear. These pants handle any accidental spillage, while also letting the little one grow comfortable in the underwear. Potty training pants vary in design and usability.
What Are The Types Of Toddler Training Pants?
There are two types of potty training pants for toddlers.
- Pull-ups, which are fundamentally underwear-shaped diapers. The construction is the same as diapers – plastic from the outside with soft fabric on the inside. There is an elastic waist strap that lets the toddler pull the diaper up and down. Pull-ups are best for young toddlers, who still poop in their diapers.
- Standard training pants resemble regular underwear. They are predominantly made of fabric with a thick absorbent material along the crotch. Training pants with absorbent pads can handle wetting and some poop but may not work well for full-fledged soiling like pull-ups. These are thus better for older toddlers who mostly use the potty.
Both are training pants, and have a similar set of features. You must make a choice depending on your requirements.
How To Choose Potty Training Pants?
Keep the following points in mind when buying training pants for your toddler:
- Right size: The sizes of the training pants vary from brand to brand. Also, most manufacturers recommend training pants based on the toddlers’ weight. So, check the manufacturer’s sizing chart to determine the right size and the ideal fit for the toddler.
- The number of pants per pack: Choose a pack with more number of pants, especially if your toddler recently began potty training. You can also opt for training pants with removable pads. This will leave you with a sufficient number of pants, even if your child has an accidental leak.
- Overnight protection: Some potty training pants are labeled for overnight use and thus are more absorbent. These are best suited for nighttime usage when your toddler is quite unlikely to visit the potty.
- Tear-away side: An easy on-and-off diaper will either have a Velcro attachment on the side or a seam for one-time tear before disposal. It makes it easier for a parent to remove the diaper.
- Gender specificity if any: Training pants are usually unisex unless they have a gender-specific design. Manufacturers add design changes in the training pants depending on whether it is made for toddler girls or boys. Check the packet for details and then make a purchase.
Marissa LaBuz, a pediatric occupational therapist and founder of Just Simply Mom, says, “Although there are several training pants to choose from, I recommend you consider one made of natural fibers–cotton is one of the best options. Training pants made of natural fibers allow your child to feel it when they are wet, thus quickening the training process.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
It may feel challenging to find soft and comfortable potty training pants. Hence, Vibha Navarathna, who writes extensively about baby products, has put together this list of the best potty training pants to help you wean your child off diapers. She has made this selection after doing thorough research and reviewing numerous options and people’s experiences with the products. Vibha also highlights the benefits of each product and tells you more about the types of potty training pants. Moreover, she has included a buying guide to assist you.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are potty-training pants a good idea?
Potty training pants give your child the confidence to swap nappies and pants. As they don’t have adequate absorbency, your child can understand the wetness and alert you when change is needed (1).
2. Can I use training pants overnight?
Regular training pants have less absorbency, so consider training pants designed to be used overnight.
3. When do I introduce pants to potty training?
Introduce potty training when your child is between 18 months and two years(1). However, remember that you can’t force your little one to do potty training.
4. How much pee do training pants hold?
Training pants are less absorbent than disposable diapers but are suitable for holding accidental leaks or one-time pee.
5. How many accidents in a day is normal when potty training?
Accidents are common during and sometimes even after the training process. Sometimes accidents may continue until four years as part of physical learning(2).
Potty training pants act as a hybrid between a standard diaper and underwear and help your toddler make a more seamless transition away from diapers. The best potty training pants should fit them well, offer overnight protection, and be stretchy and absorbent. They should also be safe for your toddlers’ skin and be easy to put on and take off. Thus, our top recommendations include the Pampers Easy Ups Training Underwear with easy-tear sides, the Skhls Toddler Cotton Training Pants with snug leg holes, and the Seventh Generation Toddler Potty Training Pants made of fragrance-free, skin-safe material. Choose one for your baby and help them transition to the next phase smoothly.
Infographic: Things That Streamline Toilet Training
Toilet training is a significant milestone in a child’s development, fostering their skills and independence in using the toilet. Parents can effectively guide their children through this learning process with patience, the right tools, and positive reinforcement. Explore the following infographic for essential items for a successful toilet training journey.
- How to potty train
- Are accidents normal or the sign of a problem in the toilet training process?
- Training Pants vs. Underwear: What’s the Difference?
- When Are Kids Ready to Toilet Train?