Setting or compact powder is our go-to secret weapon for making makeup better at concealing fine lines and wrinkles. However, finding the best powders for oily skin that don’t leave your face greasy and oily might be difficult. If you have oily skin, you may want to use a powder that lasts a long period.
We have compiled a list of the finest powders for oily skin to keep your look fresh throughout the day.
Our Top Picks
13 Best Powders For Oily Skin
1. Best Vegan: Dermablend Loose Setting Powder
Demablend brings you this weightless, translucent powder that can be used both on the body and face. It blends smoothly by absorbing excess oil and giving a mattifying finish with sheer translucence. It gives a consistent, transfer-resistant, and smudge-free look that lasts up to 16 hours. Moreover, the dermatologist-tested and vegan formula suits all skin types, skin tones, and skin conditions and contains no animal-derived ingredients or by-products. Take a look at this video to learn more about this powder.
- Mattifying finish
- Offers shine control
- Makes makeup more long-lasting
- Does not form a cakey layer
- Free of sulfates, phthalates, triclosan
- May not be suitable for deeper complexions
- May be darker than you expect
2. Best For Oily Skin: Etude House Zero Sebum Drying Powder
This no sebum powder contains 80% mineral that makes the skin look clear and matte. Made for oily skin, it controls the extra sebum. The sugar polymer controls the extra oil and cotton extract improves the overall health of your skin. It contains fermented soybean, willow tree extract, cassia bark, oregano, cypress, portulaca, and gold, which act as a natural protector. It can be used to get rid of grease on the hair and as an eye primer too. This review video helps you know more about the product. With over 7,000 reviews on Amazon, you can be assured of the product’s efficacy.
- Improves skin health
- Formulated for oily skin
- Free of talc and mineral oil
- Free of artificial fragrance
- Some may not like the smell
- Packaging may not be user friendly
3. Best Mattifying: Milani Make It Last Setting Powder
Lock in your makeup with this long-lasting setting powder formulated with ultra-fine translucent loose powder. The high-performance powder brightens your face while imparting a subtle soft-focus effect. Its matte transparent finish enhances your makeup and extends its wear. If you’re not a matte-person, this Milani setting powder is available in luminous and shimmering finishes as well to suit your preferences. Further, it also smoothes fine lines and imperfections, thus giving you a flawless-looking complexion.
- Oil-absorbing formula
- Does not strip away moisture
- Offers a sheer coverage
- Features light-reflecting pigments
- May cause a chalky appearance for some
- Container might be tiny
4. Best For Sensitive Skin: SkinFood Peach Cotton Multi Finish Powder
The multipurpose finishing powder is ultra-fine and gives you white, soft skin like a peach. The finish is flawless and feels airbrushed. With a silky texture, it minimizes caking. The peach and sake extracts soothe sensitive skin and prevent irritation and inflammation, making it one of the best finishing powders available in the market. It is suitable for oily, acne-prone skin, and can be used even as an eye or lip primer and to tackle greasy hair. Check out this video to learn more.
- Has a pleasant peach scent
- Minimizes caking
- Delivers a clear finish
- May not be suitable for dry skin
- Product may be smaller than you expect
5. Best For All Skin Tones: Jolie Invisible Pressed Oil Finishing Powder
Here’s a no color, shine-free pressed powder that does not make your face look cakey. It gives a natural matte finish that is invisible and suitable for all skin tones. It can be used as a standalone face powder or over foundation, and it leaves behind a satin finish with a fine, velvety texture. The technologically advanced formula in this pressed powder does not dry your skin or alter the shade of foundation, making it one of the best-pressed powders for oily skin.
- Offers a blurring effect
- Does not cake
- Can be worn by itself
- Minimizes pores
- May not be suitable for darker skin tones
- Pad might be a tad thin
6. Best For Controlling Shine: Maybelline Fit Me Loose Finishing Powder
This mineral-based loose finishing powder helps control shine and smoothen the skin’s texture. It is available in several shades, so be sure to pick the one that suits your skin tone perfectly. This powder provides the perfect finishing touch to your makeup base and helps set the foundation, thus making it one of the best finishing powders for oily skin. It can be used alone or on over foundation. This powder is loved by many, which is evident from the fact that it has over 34,000 reviews on Amazon.
- Controls shine
- Offers a sheer hint of color
- Makes makeup long-lasting
- May not be transfer-proof
- May be darker than you expect
7. Best To Treat Acne: Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder
This specially formulated powder helps heal and conceal acne breakouts and reduce irritation from acne. The multi-purpose sulfur-based powder absorbs excess oil and pore-clogging impurities and makes oily, troubled skin look calm and clear. The sulfur purifies the pores, kaolin clay reduces excess oil, zinc-oxide boasts of soothing and oil-absorbing properties, and calcium carbonate helps clarify congested complexions.
- Highly oil-absorbent
- Ideal for all skin types
- May clog pores for some
- May be slightly drying
8. Best Fragrance-Free: Clinique Stay-Matte Sheer Pressed Powder
Clinique’s pressed powder is best suited for combination-oily skin, oily skin, and dry combination skin. It comes in four shades, so ensure you choose the right one according to your skin tone. The ultra-sheer texture gives a perfect matte finish with moderate coverage. It helps maintain a fresh look and feel, even after a few touch-ups. This powder can be used all over the face or just on the oily spots. It is 100% fragrance-free and allergy-tested.
- Oil-free formula
- Long staying powder
- Available in several shades
- Easy to carry
- Comes with a sponge applicator
- May have an ashy finish for some
9. Best Flash-Friendly: Sacha Buttercup Setting Powder
This setting powder is completely flash-friendly and does not give off a white cast or look ashy in bright lighting. It absorbs oil well, reduces shine, and gives a matte look to your face for hours. The finely milled ingredients fill the fine lines and pores, giving you a smooth and flawless finish. This multi-purpose setting powder can be used as an overall powder or to set your foundation, bake, contour, or highlight. The product has more than 15,000 glowing reviews on Amazon.
- Offers an airbrushed finish
- Has a blurring effect
- Smudge- and transfer-resistant
- May have a slightly yellow tinge
- May not be ideal for dark skin tones
10. Best Natural Finish: Innisfree Matte Mineral Setting Powder
Control the shine with the Innisfree matte mineral setting powder. This talc-free powder is formulated with a double oil-control formula to control excessive oil. It is paraben-free, fragrance-free, and mineral oil-free. The loose powder offers a matte finish and makes you appear natural. It is infused with Jeju minerals and mint to keep your skin smooth and sweat-free.
- Silky loose formulation
- Softens skin
- Offers invisible finish
- May have an intense smell
- Small container
11. Best Hypoallergenic: Marcelle Face Powder
Marcelle has been manufacturing quality skincare products for over 100 years now. This face powder is hypoallergenic, dermatologist-tested, fragrance-free, and never tested on animals. Formulated without any harsh chemicals or additives, it absorbs excess oil and helps set makeup for extra-long wearing comfort. It provides a flawless finish and natural look when applied directly over the skin or on top of the foundation.
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Matte finish
- Does not feel cakey
- Absorbs excess oil
- Contains talc
- Might be slightly thick
12. Best For Shine Control: Clinique Stay-Matte Universal Blotting Powder
This blotting powder comes in a shade called Invisible Matte. This invisible blotting powder absorbs oil and controls shine instantly without leaving behind a trace of color. It provides a matte, fresh look to the skin. The 100% fragrance-free and allergy-tested formula suits all skin tones and skin types, especially oily skin.
- Ideal for casual use
- Offers good coverage
- Shine-free finish
- Does not add a color to the face
- Some may find the consistency a bit thick
13. Best Lightweight: COVERGIRL Professional Loose Finishing Powder
This silky, fine loose finishing powder absorbs oil shine to provide a beautiful, flawless finish. It is translucent and lightweight and works to help keep your foundation looking just right. It makes your skin look natural and fresh all day long. The formula is suitable for sensitive skin and has been dermatologically tested. It is available in several shades. Be sure to choose the one that suits your skin tone the best.
- Delivers radiance
- Easy to use
- Natural finish
- Can be used on its own without a foundation
- May contain parabens
- May be darker than you expect
Tips For Using Powder For oily Skin
Here are a few tips for using powder, if you have oily skin or oily T-zone:
- Do not pile on too much powder. This can make your pores push more oil.
- Apply powder on the areas that feel very shiny. For example, the T-zone, which includes your nose forehead and chin.
- Use a no-sebum mineral powder.
- Try matte-translucent powders. This helps to control shine and give an even-looking skin tone.
- Setting powders, like the one mentioned in this post, help in controlling oil production and absorb oil, giving you a fresh look all day long.
If, at any point, you feel there is too much powder on your face, use a dampened sponge to blot the over-powdered areas.
How To Choose The Right Powder For Oily Skin?
The first and most important step towards choosing a powder is to determine how you want the powder to work for you. Are you looking for a powder to set your foundation or achieve shine control? Do you want a matte finish or natural-looking translucent finish?
Here’s how you can decide what powders suit your skin the best:
- Setting or finishing powders improve the staying power of your makeup. These all-purpose powders keep the foundation intact and avoid separating. To some extent, these powders even protect the skin from the effects of heat and humidity.
- Blotting, oil control, shine control, no-sebum powders help in controlling shine. The ingredients like sulfur, zinc oxide help prevent oil production, keeping pores clean. It also reduces oil production, thereby contributing to a shine-free appearance.
- Mattifying powders help reduce redness and still give you a shine-free appearance.
- It’s always best to choose a powder that is light since heavy product build-up can lead to acne breakouts.
- Ensure the powder you choose does not leave your skin dry and gives long-lasting results.
Infographic: How To Apply Setting Or Compact Powders On Oily Skin
Knowing the right way to apply compact powders is as crucial as choosing a suitable powder for your skin type. And applying compact powder to oily skin can be tricky, and therefore, this infographic shares some simple tips to help you get the desired results.
Why Trust MomJunction?
With her expertise in writing product articles on beauty, fashion, skincare, and haircare, Poulami Nag ensures high-quality content to her readers. After researching and comparing various products online and their user experience, she has compiled a list of the best powders for oily skin that may help you look fresh all day long. Along with the product description, she also added tips on using powders on oily skin and a buying guide that may help you frame your needs to get the right product for your skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can these powders reduce acne?
They might reduce if you choose the right kind of face powder that suits your skin type.
Check for powders made of natural ingredients that help fight acne and deal with breakouts. Powders with ingredients such as kaolin clay, zinc oxide, sulfur, and sake extracts might help tackle pimple problems but be sure to check with your dermatologist before using any new product.
2. Can I use creams and lotions before applying these powders?
Yes, you may use cream or lotion before applying these powders. But ensure that the cream or lotion you apply is fully absorbed. Otherwise, it can give you a cakey or chunky appearance. Also, ensure to keep your powder applicator brush or sponge clean to avoid product build-up on these makeup tools.
Face powder can play a role in giving that perfect finished look when you are stepping out for an important meeting, to meet your friends or on a date. The perfect face powder can be applied as a standalone product or even with foundation and contributes to making your makeup last longer.
Did you find a suitable face powder from our list? Tell us about it in the comment section below.
- Best Soaps For Oily Skin
- Best Serums For Oily Skin
- Best Exfoliators For Oily Skin
- Best BB Creams For Oily Skin