Pregnancy is a life-changing experience in many ways, and if you have just discovered that you are pregnant, you need to be even more alert about the do’s and don’ts.
The first trimester of pregnancy, which comprises of roughly three months, is an important phase. You must be even more careful during this time, and follow certain safety precautions to ensure the proper growth and development of your baby.
Precautions During First Three Months of Pregnancy:
Here we have listed out some of the most important safety precautions to be taken during first three months of pregnancy that you must follow.
If you have been smoking for a long time, now’s the time to quit.
- Smoking has been linked to a wide range of health conditions, and is potentially life threatening.
- During pregnancy, smoking may pose several health risks and is responsible for reduced immunity, lowered birth weight, infections and several other developmental problems in your baby.
- It has also been found that smoking during pregnancy could result in sudden infant death syndrome.
2. Alcohol And Caffeine Intake:
Just like smoking, consumption of alcohol and caffeine is a strict no-no during pregnancy.
- Consumption of alcohol during pregnancy is thought to cause abnormally slow growth of the fetus, and is also linked to several learning disabilities.
- Caffeine consumption, on the other hand, is linked to premature birth and an increased risk of several birth defects.
Hot tubs and saunas must be avoided during the first three months of pregnancy.
- This is because these activities cause you to stay in an environment that has a temperature higher than that of the normal body temperature.
- This can hamper the proper growth and development of your fetus.
4. Herbs And Medications:
If you have been using certain herbs or medications as a treatment for a particular health condition that you suffer from, you may now need to consider looking for a healthier alternative to those.
- It is important to notify your doctor about your pregnancy immediately so that your doctor can prescribe you the best alternative medications that are safe for your baby.
- Avoid going for treatment options such as x-rays since they are harmful for the development of the fetus.
Most seafood and fish are good sources of protein and healthy fats that are needed during pregnancy. But, a lot of fish are known to contain high amounts of mercury and other toxic chemicals, which are harmful for your growing baby.
- Avoid consuming fish during your first trimester.
- If you must, choose small amounts of tuna, salmon or other light meats (preferably the canned variety) during your first trimester.
- Check on the same with your doctor before eating.
6. Extra Nutrients:
Now that you’re supporting the growth and development of your baby too, you will need some extra nutrients and minerals.
- Make sure you get your daily dose of vitamin D from foods like egg yolks, tuna, salmon, fish liver oil, fortified milk and some exposure to sunlight.
- You will also need to rev up your calcium content. Add more calcium rich foods like milk and milk products to your diet.
- Take iron and folic acid supplements as prescribed by your doctor. These are the most needed additions during pregnancy to ensure proper growth of your baby.
- Increase your intake of omega 3 fatty acids by adding more nuts to your diet. This fatty acid plays a role in the development of the eye, brain and nerves of your fetus.
- Make sure you eat all food groups. Talk to your doctor about the calorie requirements and plan your diet well.
Apart from following these precautions during first three months of pregnancy, also make sure you get all your routine tests done to monitor your baby’s progress. Stay away from potential allergens and substances like insecticides and pesticides that may cause harm to your baby.
Do share your views with us.
- 2nd Month Pregnancy Care – What To Expect, Do’s & Dont’s
- 3rd Month Pregnancy Care – What To Expect, Do’s & Dont’s
- 1st Month Pregnancy Diet – Which Foods To Eat And Avoid?
- 2nd Month Pregnancy Diet – Which Foods To Eat And Avoid?
- 3rd Month Pregnancy Diet – Which Foods To Eat And Avoid?
Latest posts by Shahida (see all)
- Is It Safe To Wear A Bra During Pregnancy? - June 30, 2017
- Top 10 Hanukkah Crafts And Activities For Kids - August 2, 2014
- 6 Best Precautions To Take During The First Trimester Of Pregnancy - July 14, 2014
- Is It Safe To Use A Mobile Phone During Pregnancy? - July 9, 2014
- Is It Safe To Consume Evening Primrose Oil During Pregnancy? - July 2, 2014
- 10 Different Types Of Braces For Kids - June 30, 2014
- 10 Super-Spooky Ghost Stories For Your Kids - June 30, 2014
- 6 Best Healthy And Nutritional Snacks For Preschoolers - June 27, 2014
- 10 Beautiful Places To Enjoy With Your Kids In India - June 6, 2014
- 10 Effective Measures To Prevent Itching During Pregnancy - June 6, 2014