A preterm baby can’t use the regular diapers because of their small size, and hence, they need the best preemie diapers. A preterm or premature baby is one who is born before the 37th week of pregnancy. Premature babies weigh less and are comparatively smaller than full-term babies, which is why they need more care.
If you need guidance on which preemie diapers to choose, check out our list and pick one.
Our Top Picks
6 Best Preemie Diapers
1. Best Protective Layers: Huggies Baby Diapers Size Preemie
Huggies preemie baby diapers have an absorbing liner for sensitive skin that provides a layer of protection, enabling softness and breathability. The pocketed waistband prevents diaper blowouts and keeps the mess contained. The leak lock system prevents leaks for up to 12 hours, and the wetness indicator changes color to indicate when the diaper needs to be changed. These diapers are free from fragrance, parabens, and chlorine.
2. Best Plant-Based Materials: Pampers Newborn Pure Protection Diapers
Made of plant-based material and polypropylene fibers, Pampers newborn protection diapers are infused with shea butter to help protect the skin. The outside cover is constructed of soft cotton, which allows ventilation. The wetness indicator alerts you when your baby may require a diaper change. It has no chlorine bleaching, fragrance, parabens, or latex and is hypoallergenic. Pampers Pure is distinguished by its designer print which gives both style and comfort.
3. Best pH-Balanced Materials: Cuties Diapers
Cuties diapers are made of five layers of soft protection and provide a comfortable fit. It is dermatologically tested and hypoallergenic. Natural cotton fibers are used to create the cotton-enhanced dryness layer, which is enriched with vitamin E, aloe vera, and natural botanical products. The pH-balanced absorbent keeps the baby dry for around 12 hours. These diapers are free from dyes, synthetic fragrance, latex, and chlorine.
4. Best Environment-Friendly: Bambo Nature Diapers
These premium diapers are designed for premature babies weighing between two to six lbs. Bambo Nature diapers are made of high-quality materials and are part of a new generation of environmentally conscious diapers, as they are non-toxic and environment-friendly. The breathable cotton exterior makes the diaper extremely soft. This pack has 24 diapers in one pack, and they work overnight.
5. Best Liner With Air Channels: Pampers Swaddlers Diapers
Pampers preemie diapers are suitable for babies below six lbs. They are two times softer than the other diapers and provide 12-hour protection against wetness. Its unique liner pulls the wetness to reduce any mess. The presence of air channels keeps the baby dry and comfortable. It has a wetness indicator that suggests the time for a diaper change.
6. Best Soft Waistline: Huggies Gentle Care Preemies Diapers
The disposable preemie diapers from Huggies fit infants weighing up to six lbs. They have a soft waistline that softly folds in toward the abdomen of the infant to protect the umbilical cord while it heals. The baby’s sensitive skin is protected by the soft, quilted cloth-like cover, which is easy on the skin yet tough on leaks. The waistline of the diaper is made of soft and stretchy material, and the fasteners are large for a comfortable fit.
How To Choose The Right Premature Baby Diapers?
Here are some factors that you should consider before you make your purchase.
- Size and shape: Check the size and shape of the diaper and whether it suits the preemie. Most preemie diapers mention “preemie” or “P” on their packaging. Certain diapers for newborns may also work for premature infants. Therefore, do carefully check the size and shape before purchase.
- Design: Look for diapers with a hook-and-loop feature for easy closure and removal. This design also is easier for new parents to manage.
- Material: Newborns or preemies have very sensitive skin. Look for tag-less and cotton diapers that are soft and flexible made of non-woven textiles or naturally occurring materials.
- Don’t overstock: Babies grow fast. Therefore, do not overstock diapers. They will soon outgrow the size in a month or two.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna is a product writer with a keen interest in baby, nursing, and pregnancy products. She has put together this list of the best preemie diapers after doing extensive research. Vibha has included high-quality diapers that are soft, comfortable, gentle on the skin, and absorbent. Besides, she has provided the descriptions of each product and included a buying guide mentioning all the important factors you should consider when choosing a preemie diaper.
Premature babies are more delicate and sensitive than full-term infants, and therefore, they naturally require special care and attention. And caring for them entails picking the right preemie diapers that allow you to keep your little one dry and clean while making the process of changing diapers more convenient. The best preemie diapers listed here are specifically designed to be gentle on their sensitive skin, so your little one can be comfortable all day long and stay safe from allergic reactions.
- Best Baby Diaper Brands
- Best Diapers For Chunky Babies
- Best Diapers For Toddlers
- Best Overnight Diapers
- Best Overnight Cloth Diapers