During pregnancy, sleep is essential but also elusive. It is because of the growing bump and changing body. You will also have sleep disruptions with frequent trips to the bathroom and increased restlessness. This is when you will need extra help from a pregnancy pillow (maternity pillow) that is specially designed to offer support to your body.
Pregnancy pillows are bigger than standard ones and are available in different shapes and sizes to provide great comfort. Also, there are many factors to decide the best fit for you. This post lists the best pregnancy pillows along with their benefits and types and gives you a few tips on choosing the right product.
Benefits Of A Pregnancy Pillow
A pregnancy pillow offers many advantages apart from helping you sleep comfortably in the pregnancy phase.
- Eliminates pressure on the lower back, hips, and pelvis: As the body weight increases, your back, hips, and legs feel immense pressure. A pregnancy pillow offers the required comfort by properly aligning the body parts.
- Boosts blood circulation: It is highly recommended to sleep on your side during pregnancy as it promotes blood circulation. As the pregnancy pillow is extra soft, it gives you improved support to sleep on the side with the bump.
- Helps you sleep soundly: Many health concerns may arise when you are deprived of sleep during pregnancy. A pregnancy pillow can give the needed support to help you sleep for a longer time.
- Offers comfort post-delivery: Pregnancy pillows can also help you stay comfortable after giving birth, and you can use it as a backrest when breastfeeding the baby.
Different Types Of Pregnancy Pillows
There are different types of pregnancy pillows suitable for different pregnant women according to their sleeping style and pregnancy stage.
- Wedges: It is the smallest of all pregnancy pillows designed to support a target area such as the bump, back, or lower back while sitting. Wedges help you sleep comfortably on the side or on your back and prevents you from rolling over. You may also use it underneath your head to elevate your upper body. These are also portable and versatile—you can carry them while traveling and also use them as backrest after pregnancy.
- Total body pillows: They are long pillows that can be tucked between your knees. They help prevent back and hip pains and are suitable options during your second trimester. These are usually five to six feet long and capable of covering women of any height. They are available in two varieties—C-shaped and U-shaped.
- C-shaped pillows support the head, tummy, back, and legs. You can place your head on the top, hold it in a curve-like structure while sleeping, or use it as a base for the legs.
- U-shaped pillows are suitable for those sleeping on their back. However, sleeping on the back is not ideal during pregnancy. These pillows support the complete body, including the bump and the back. You should place your head on the top, and keep your legs in a straddled position.
- Full-length pillows: They are straight pillows, and some include a minor arc for better support. You can use them however you want to suit your sleeping needs. A full-length pillow offers decent flexibility as you can place your arms and legs around it, with its center supporting the bump.
11 Best Pregnancy Pillows
It is important to get that pampering and comfort during pregnancy. Coozly Premium Lyte C-Shaped Pregnancy Pillow is crafted to offer that comfort while sleeping. You can choose the color you want from a variety of options available. The pillow is packed in a zippered bag and then packed in a white bag for delivery. The cover is made of cotton fabric, and the pillow contains PregnoCare HQ fibers.
- 100% cotton stretchable fabric and removable cover
- Offers ideal side support for side-sleepers
- Gives good back, belly, and leg support
- Suitable for women above 65kg
- Can be used for breastfeeding
- Free of phthalate, latex, lead, and BPA
- May shrink with continuous use
This versatile maternity pillow offers maximum comfort to pregnant women and side- and stomach-sleepers. It is fluffy yet resilient with microfiber pillow filling and can be adjusted according to your sleeping position. It does not have any zippers and self-adapts to your sleeping position. You will find it in seven different color options, and the net dimensions are 20 x 54in.
- Breathable and stretchable fabric
- Provides proper orthopedic support
- Allows you to sleep on your back and side for proper spinal alignment
- Medium firmness to support the neck
- Ideal for lounging, sleeping, relaxing, and holding under the arms and legs
- Hypoallergenic and 100% cotton cover
- Resistant to dust and mites
- Mixed reviews on durability
The Momsyard Full Body C-Shaped pillow offers great support to your head, back, hips, and knees. If you face difficulties sleeping on your side, you may consider buying this pillow. It replaces the need for using multiple pillows, and the flexible polyfill material allows you to sleep comfortably without any disturbances. It is available in multiple color options.
- Relieves back pain associated with pregnancy
- Adjustable polyfill material stops you from tossing and turning during sleep
- Zipper-removable and machine-washable cover
- Hypoallergenic and free of BPA, lead, phthalates, and latex
- Curved end fits snugly between the knees
- Can be used as a nursing pillow
- Fabric cover is a little rough
- May not be ideal for short women
The Angel Mommy Premium U-Shaped Pregnancy Pillow has been crafted to give you a comfortable sleep. It delivers superior joint positioning while you are sleeping on your left. You can also use it as a feeding support, sitting support, and leg support post-pregnancy. Made of fluffy and lightweight fill material, it retains the shape even after extended use. It comes in 12 different color options to suit your preference.
- Allows you to maintain a good sleeping posture
- Zero-pressure fill material
- Ideal for left-side sleepers
- Prevents from rolling onto your tummy
- Extra stuffing for added comfort
- Zippered and washable cotton cover
- Stitches may not be strong
The Bedding King Large Pillow keeps your body in the right position when sleeping. It is super-soft, and you will love to hold and wrap it around your legs for the needed rest during pregnancy. The pillow measures 20 x 54in and fits the natural contours of your body. It is rectangular and supports the head, bump, and leg. The comfy pillow is available in navy blue and white and in king size.
- Ball fiber filling offers the right support to the body
- Super-soft, firm, and durable
- Lightweight and easily portable
- Retains its shape even after extended use
- Hypoallergenic material
- Does not include a cover
Bring home the Mom’s Moon 2nd Generation Ultra Soft Pregnancy Pillow that helps alleviate uneasiness while sleeping. It offers exclusive support to the body with its contoured shape. The U-shaped pillow gives you the needed comfort throughout the night and prevents you from rolling over onto your bump or back. It is available in ten different color options.
- Machine-washable cover
- Breathable, hypoallergenic, and sweat-absorbent fill material
- Offers great support and helps maintain a decent sleeping posture
- Gives head-to-toe support to keep you from rolling over
- Machine-washable pillow cover
- Stitches are relatively loose
The Pregnancy Time Ultra Soft Fabric Pregnancy Pillow has been crafted to offer maximum comfort to pregnant women. The length of this pillow is suitable for anybody to stretch out completely. You can sleep peacefully all night long as it aligns with your hip, neck, shoulders, and back. It is crafted with synthetic down stuffing that allows easy airflow.
- Hypoallergenic and odorless material
- Resistant to dust and mites
- Regulates body temperature and enhances blood circulation
- Eliminates turning and tossing while you are in a deep sleep
- Not many color options
- May not be ideal for summer
The Amazon Brand Solimo Maternity Pillow is a C-shaped pillow suitable for those who sleep on their sides. This pillow’s top end can be positioned under the head to give support to the neck and shoulders, while the lower end can be placed between the legs to offer comfort. It is available in medium and large and three solid color options.
- Hollow silicone polyester filling offers durability
- Micro-polyester outer cover gives a smooth feel
- Free of BPA, lead, latex and other harmful chemicals
- Can be used while breastfeeding
- Comfortable for various sleeping and resting positions
- Hypoallergenic filling
- May not be very cushiony
The Snoozy Ultra Soft U-Shaped Pregnancy Pillow delivers the required support to the head, neck, back, hips, and knees. It allows you to take up multiple positions while sleeping, reading, watching TV, nursing, and feeding. Moreover, the 360° total body support ensures a sound and good night’s sleep. It comes with a grey zippered outer cover that is soft and removable.
- Durable and breathable 100% polyester fiber filling
- Comfortable and super-soft jersey cover
- Removable and machine-washable cover
- Could aid in relieving heartburn and back pain
- Lengthy and stretchable pillow
- Suitable for the complete family to rest
- Inferior cushioning in some parts
The Kuber Industries Pregnancy Pillow offers good support to pregnant women and new moms and has a gentle feel to it. The C-shaped pillow is perfect for side sleepers. The top end provides support to the neck and shoulder, the base supports the legs, and the middle goes around the vertebrae. It can also be used for breastfeeding support post-pregnancy. This pillow is available in grey, black, and navy blue.
- Premium high-quality microfiber filling
- Hypoallergenic with zero-pressure material
- Contours the back, and supports the bump
- Lightweight and easily portable
- Stitches are relatively loose
- May be a tad hard
If you are looking for a wedge pregnancy pillow, look no further. This White Willow Maternity Pillow is crafted from medical-grade high-resilience foam, and the unique design alleviates back pain in pregnant women. You can comfortably sit anywhere with the wedge pillow’s support. It is available in one standard size and two color options of blue and multishade.
- Promotes side sleeping
- Offers relaxation during all trimesters
- Protects against swelling of hands, legs, and feet
- Ergonomic shape improves your sleep posture
- Can be used in multiple ways
- Compact and portable
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite-resistant
- Steep and takes time to get used to it
How To Choose The Right Pregnancy Pillow?
Here are a few things to consider when purchasing the best pregnancy pillow.
- Sleep position and trimester: The sleep position you usually prefer and the trimester you are in should go hand in hand when considering a maternity pillow. If you like sleeping on your tummy, get a pillow that allows you to sleep in that position. If you are a side sleeper, consider one that supports your bump and back at the same time.
- Weight and height: Read the specifications to know if a particular pillow suits your weight, height, and body type.
- Bed size: Consider the size of your bed before you pick a pregnancy pillow. Some may not fit the bed and occupy more space.
- Firmness: If you want good support, go for a firm pillow. Soft pillows may not provide the required support and cause discomfort.
- Filling material: You will have proper support only when your pillow is filled with quality material. Pregnancy pillows are filled with memory foam, micro-beads fiber, styrofoam, or polyester fiber. Memory foam fill holds its shape and is comfortable than other types.
- Hypoallergenic pillows: Consider buying pillows that are hypoallergenic if you have a dust allergy. They may protect you from allergic symptoms, breathing issues, skin problems, etc.
- Durability: Check if the product is durable by going through its specifications and reviews. A durable pillow can last long and retain its perfect shape, enabling you to use it even after delivery.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I wash pregnancy pillows?
Most pregnancy pillows are machine-washable. While washing them, put the machine on a delicate cycle for a subtle wash.
2. When should I start using a pregnancy pillow?
There is no particular time for using a pregnancy pillow. But as you reach week 20, the bump starts to show, and you may have round ligament and experience body pains. A pregnancy pillow will offer the needed comfort.
Choosing the best pregnancy pillow will take some time and effort. But it is worthwhile due to the comfort, support, and functionality it provides. We hope the above list and buying tips help you find the maternity pillow that best suits you.