A pressure canner is a kitchen appliance used to sterilize and preserve low acid foods for future use. It is considered the best way to protect food and stock the pantries. The appliance can satisfy your cravings for seasonal foods when they are no longer available.
Pressure canners in the market range in sizes, features, prices, and functions. There are two basic types of pressure canners – dial gauge and weighted pressure gauge, based on regulating the pressure. A dial gauge pressure canner requires adjusting the heat source to maintain the required pressure, while a weighted gauge pressure canner holds the pressure itself, and there is no need to keep checking on it continuously.
Read on the curated list of the best pressure canners available in the market.
What Is The Difference Between Pressure Canner And Pressure Cooker?
A pressure cooker cannot be used for canning, but a pressure canner can be used for cooking and canning.
As the important part of canning is based on destroying harmful microbes, pressure canners are larger than cookers. They also hold heat and pressure for longer periods than the pressure cooker.
9 Best Pressure Canners
The dial pressure gauge of the pressure canner makes it easy to control the temperature while canning. Its cover lock ensures the pressure build-up if the lid is closed correctly, making it safe for use. The canner can hold up to 20-pint jars, 24-half-pint jars, or seven-quart jars.
- 12-year limited warranty
- Large size
- Warp-resistant heavy-gauge aluminum ensures fast and even heating
- Includes 76-page instruction and recipe book
- Does not work with convection cooktop
The 10.5-quart pressure canner and cooker can hold up to four-quart jars or seven-pint jars. Made from cast aluminum and a satin finish, the canner is easy to clean. The easy-to-read steam gauge and automatic pressure release are its key features.
- No gaskets for sealing
- Easy to open and close
- Different ranges of psi
- Sturdy phenolic top handle
- Heavy to use
Stove-top pressure canner comes with two canning racks that can hold up to seven-quart size, 16-pint sized, or 26-half-pint size jars. Made from polished aluminum, the T-fal canner has three cooking pressure options – 5, 10, or 15 psi.
- Sure-locking system for safe use
- Heavy-gauge rust-proof aluminum build
- Includes cooking rack and recipe book
- Parts may need frequent replacement
The Granite Ware pressure canner comes with a three-piece pressure regulatory system. It is simple and easy to use. There are two sizes available – 12-quart and 20-quart. The product also includes a steamer and a canning rack.
- Jiggler over-pressure gauge allows you to hear pressure build-up
- Kills the bacteria found in low acid foods
- Does not change in the food flavor
- Small pint jar capacity
The ten-quart pressure canner includes a complete set of canning rack, jar wrench, jar lifter, magnetic lid lifter, BPA-free funnel, BPA-free ladle, BPA-free bubble remover, pressure cooking recipe book, and home canning cookbook. The water bath canning method is best suitable to preserve low-acid foods.
- Ten-year warranty
- Two pressure options at 15 psi and 8psi
- Allows water bath method and pressure canning method
- Ergonomically designed handles
- May seem difficult to close the lid
Made from polished aluminum, the pressure canner is rust-resistant and easy to clean. There are three pressure options between 5, 10, and 15 psi. The sure-locking system reduces the risk of spilling and is safe to use.
- Safety window to release excess pressure
- Reusable overpressure plug
- Limited ten-year warranty for canner
- Uses gaskets might need periodic replacement
- Less holding capacity
The smart pressure cooker is a wonderful choice for those looking to buy a multi-functional appliance. Its digital display has automatic presets for canning, steaming, slow cooking, and pressure cooking. The pot is dishwasher-safe.
- Safety lock lid
- Includes standard and high-altitude limiting valves
- Side handles for safe handling
- Not compatible with traditional stovetop
- Small holding capacity
Deluxe pressure dial gauge of the canner registers precise pressures important in high-altitude areas. The sure-locking system makes the product safe to use as the lid does not open when pressurized. It comes with canning racks.
- Heavy-gauge aluminum build
- Prevents food from sticking to the bottom
- Compatible with most stoves
- Not suitable for recipes above 12 psi
- Not compatible with induction cooktop
The product can be programmed easily with a large touchscreen where you can set the time, temperature, pressure level, etc. Its nutriboost technology works towards adding nutrition to the food with its boiling motion. It is made from food-grade 304 stainless steel.
- Accurate temperature control
- UI certified with 13 safety features
- 100% recyclable packaging
- Small holding capacity
How To Choose The Right Pressure Canner?
Here are a few points to consider while buying a pressure canner.
- Size: Choose from the varied pressure canners depending on the size of the family and the food. The sizes are listed in quarts.
- Stovetop compatibility: Consider your stovetop and check for compatibility of the pressure canner you plan to buy.
- Parts: Canners with parts, such as gaskets or pressure valves, might need periodic replacement.
- Maintenance: The weighted gauge canners usually need lesser maintenance.
How To Use A Pressure Canner?
The following points give a basic idea about operating a pressure canner.
- Check there are no blockages and calcium deposits.
- Canner should be positioned at the center above the burner.
- Use a jar lifter to place jars in the canner.
- For jam-packed foods, you should take water to 180 °F, and for raw, filled foods, it should be 140°F.
- Check if the cover of the canner is fastened properly.
- Adjust the pressure settings according to the foods.
- Monitor the heat to keep a reliable pressure built-up.
- Allow canner to cool off naturally once the cooking is complete. If your canner uses a gasket, you can also release the pressure through it to speed up the cooling process.
- Do not force open a pressure cooker.
The pressure canners offer a wide opportunity to preserve various foods from garden vegetables to meat and fish. A good pressure canner might prove to be a long-term investment that will also keep your food budget reasonable and preserve your health. We hope the above list and the buying guide will help you buy a suitable product for your canning needs.