Probiotics have become quite a buzzword in the world of food and nutrition in recent years. Probiotics are good bacteria similar to those found in our gut that helps in maintaining a healthy digestive system. They are commonly used by adults to improve gut health. But are they suitable for children? Yes, introducing probiotics in your child’s daily routine may lead to a whole lot of health benefits, from improving their digestive tract to boosting their immune system.
Choosing the right probiotic for your child might be difficult, with so many options available out there. In this MomJunction post, we’ve put together a list of the 15 best probiotics for kids and a helpful guide to select the best one for your child. A word of advice – always consult your child’s pediatrician if you are considering giving your child probiotics.
15 Best Probiotics For Kids
Hyperbiotics PRO-Kids helps restore good bacteria in your child’s gut to improve the digestive system and immunity in the long run. Each pack contains 60 tiny pearls that are formulated with a time-release delivery, which means your child gets full benefits of probiotics every 1 hour over a period of 8-10 hours.
- Ideal for kids aged 3 and above
- Each sugar-free pearl can be swallowed whole or chewed
- Each pearl includes 4 targeted probiotic strains
- Tiny pearls can be crushed and added to your child’s cold foods
- Does not contain artificial sweeteners, colors or flavors
- Long shelf life and no refrigeration required
If your child doesn’t like to consume tablets or gummies, then try this liquid probiotic. It aids in solving digestive issues such as constipation, diarrhea, IBS, and other gastrointestinal problems and promotes the immune system. This USDA-certified product is 100% organic and purely plant-based.
- Contains 12 live strains of flora sourced from 3 types of grasses
- Can be consumed directly or by adding add them to food and liquids
- Non-GMO, gluten-free, and vegan
- Improves immunity and helps with weight maintenance
- Free of harsh chemicals, fillers, and artificial ingredients
- The liquid is raw and unflavored
This berry cherry flavored chewable gummies will be a hit with your kids, thanks to its delicious taste. Made with 5 billion cultures and 14 probiotic strains, this supplement aims to provide support to your child’s digestive and immune health. It is free of sugar, dairy, gluten, and soy.
- Includes vitamin C-rich organic amla, vitamin D, and prebiotic fiber
- Does not require refrigeration
- Available in other flavors – strawberry, banana, and watermelon
- USDA organic-certified and non-GMO project-verified
- Pack contains 30 chewable tablets
Boost digestive health and improve the immune system with the help of this chewable probiotic gummy. It contains both probiotics and prebiotics – the former helps in healthy digestion, while the latter supports the growth of probiotic bacteria. It is available in 2 flavors, strawberry creme, and grape.
- 4 billion cultures or CFUs (colony-forming units) per dosage
- With 95% survivability rate it ensures the majority of probiotics reach the lower digestive tract alive
- Contains no synthetic colors, artificial flavors or sweeteners
- Gluten, gelatin, and allergen-free
- No refrigeration required
This is one of the best probiotics for your baby, who is often fussing or crying due to colic. Only 5 drops of this supplement per day will help ease colic and digestive discomforts such as spit-ups, diarrhea, and constipation. It is a gentle formula designed for newborns and toddlers.
- The solution contains L. reuteri protectis bacteria that naturally occurs in babies and can be found in the milk of breastfeeding mothers.
- Contains vitamin D3 that helps the body absorb calcium
- Free of artificial flavors
- BPA, allergen, and paraben-free
- Clinically tested and pediatrician-recommended formula
Ideal for children aged 4 years and above, this probiotic is formulated to promote good gut health by improving digestion, reducing acid reflux, and bloating. It also helps boost the immune system and support better nutrient absorption, which, in turn, improves the overall health.
- Natural berry flavored chewable gummies
- Contains a prebiotic fiber, inulin, to maintain the growth and function of good bacteria in the large intestine
- Each gummy is made of 1 billion live cultures
- Non-GMO formula
- Does not contain artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- You get 60 gummies in 1 bottle
Your kids will like this delicious berry-flavored chewable tablet that is also sugar-free. It provides 2 billion live cultures from a blend of 10 probiotic bacterial strains, which helps you kids build a healthy digestive and immune system. It is suitable for children who are 2 years and over.
- The gummies are sweetened with a sugar substitute, xylitol, which does not damage teeth
- Needs to be refrigerated to maintain potency
- No artificial colors or flavors
- 60 round-shaped chewables in one bottle
One of the best chewable probiotics for kids, these berry-flavored gummies by up4 are formulated to promote a healthy digestive system in children. With probiotics, prebiotics, and vitamin C rolled in one; this supplement is also designed to support your child’s overall health.
- Inulin is used as a prebiotic, which is sourced from chicory root
- Contains 2 different strains of healthy bacteria (Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus coagulans)
- Helps to alleviate constipation and diarrhea
- Vegan, and naturally flavored supplement
- Gelatin and gluten-free
- Suitable for children 3 years and above
Is your child experiencing frequent tummy upset? Then Naturo Sciences Probiotics 5 is your best bet! This chewable tablet consists of 8 different strains with 5 billion live cultures, which helps maintain a natural and healthy balance of good bacteria in your child’s digestive tract.
- Tablets come in dry nitrogen-flushed blister foil packs that keep the strains alive and potent
- Helps reduce diarrhea caused due to antibiotics
- Boosts the immune system and helps support the absorption of nutrients in the body
- Easy-to-chew, tangerine-flavored sugar-free chewables
- Contains vitamin C and a blend of prebiotics
This blue raspberry-flavored probiotic and prebiotic blend is so yummy that your kids will be ready to chew it without throwing a fit. This supplement contains 1 billion CFUs of Bacillus Coagulans and chicory inulin (prebiotic), which helps reduce gas, constipation, and other digestive problems.
- Vegetarian and gluten-free
- Does not contain dairy, egg, or soy
- A bottle contains 60 chewable gummies
- Recommended for children 2 years and above
This probiotic powder makes for an excellent choice for kids who don’t like swallowing pills or chewing tablets. Intended to be consumed once a day, this powder can be mixed in your child’s food or beverage. It contains a hint of delicious banana flavor, which makes it easy to consume.
- 6 probiotic strains and 4 billion live culture
- Boosts digestive system and immunity
- Improves nutrient absorption
- Contains inulin as a prebiotic to help healthy bacteria thrive in the gut
- Gluten-free and vegetarian
- Recommended for kids 3 years and older
Are you concerned about your child’s gastrointestinal health? Then give them this probiotics supplement by Clarity Kids. These tasty blueberry acai-flavored chewables are made of all-natural ingredients. It works effectively to strengthen your child’s immune system and support proper digestion.
- A proprietary probiotic blend of 4 strains
- Contains ingredients like ginger root and peppermint extracts, and digestive enzyme blend
- Includes an optimal amount of 10 billion live cultures
- Pediatrician-recommended formula
Made for children who hate swallowing pills, this strawberry flavored probiotics is easy to consume and can be chewed as well. These gummies are designed to relieve your child from digestive issues, including diarrhea, abdominal pain, constipation, and bloating.
- Contains DE111, a healthy strain of probiotic spore
- This natural strain is clinically proven to control the microbial population in the gut
- Helps boost your immune system and lowers chances of infection
- 100% natural and vegan
- GMO and gluten-free
An award-winning formula, Bio-Kult Infantis, is specially formulated for babies, toddlers, and young children. It is developed with 7 probiotic strains to help with gastrointestinal problems and further promote a healthy gut.
- Rich in Omega-3 and vitamin D3 that boost the immune system and overall health
- A single pack consists of 16 sachets
- Each sachet contains a minimum of 1 billion probiotic microbes
- This formula can be consumed by mixing it with milk, water or food
- Includes Preplex prebiotic that aids in the growth of good bacteria in the gut
- Non-GMO and gluten-free
Nexabiotic Chewable Probiotics is a grape-flavored chewable tablet that is formulated with 20 different strains of bacteria that are not only beneficial to improve gut health but also helps maintain oral health. It is suitable for kids aged 3 years and above and adults.
- Contains high-quality stomach acid-resistant probiotic strains
- Each tablet is packed with 5 billion CFUs
- It helps reduce cavities and bad breath
- Does not contain gluten or gelatin
- Vegetarian formula
In the next section, we will look at some key points that need to be considered before buying a probiotic for your child.
The Benefits Of Probiotics For Kids
- Probiotics help to maintain the balance between good and bad bacteria in the gut
- Promotes a healthy digestive system
- Helps prevent diarrhea and constipation
- Improves immune system, which means it helps keep infections at bay
- Helps to ease side effects caused due to antibiotics such as stomach pain and diarrhea
- Aids your body to absorb nutrients better
- Lowers the risk of eczema and respiratory tract infections
- Reduces and prevents colic in infants
A Guide To Choosing The Right Probiotic For Kids
Given below are important factors to consider when looking for the best probiotic for kids. But remember to talk to your child’s pediatrician first.
- Type: Probiotics are available in different forms ranging from chewables, gummies, liquid, powder, and tiny pearls. The type of probiotics you choose depends on your child’s preference. However, gummies or chewables are the best options if your child does not like swallowing pills. And if your child is too young to take in tablets, liquid drops are the safest bet.
- Ingredients: Every probiotic supplement is made of different ingredients, and most of them are said to be all-natural and sugar-free. But some products may include artificial sweeteners or allergens that your child might be allergic to. So, always go through the ingredient list on the package.
- Age: Not all probiotics are suitable for children of all age groups. Some specially designed for kids above 3 or 4 years old. Be sure to check whether the probiotic you choose is ideal for your child’s age.
- Dosage: How many tablets or drops you need to give your child depends on your child’s age and health condition. Check with your child’s doctor first.
- Strains: Opt for a product that contains different and multiple strains of bacteria. A probiotic with multiple strains of 1 or 2 bacteria is effective, but the diverse range ones are more beneficial in improving your child’s digestive and immune system.
- Colony Forming Units: CFU is used to measure the number of bacteria bodies present in the product. Probiotic supplements with 5 billion CFUs and more are considered to be suitable for kids. The higher the number, the more likely it is to survive in the digestive tract.
The healthier your child’s gut is, the stronger their immune system will be. And to help improve their digestive system, it’s essential to give them a probiotic supplement. Now that you have gone through our list of the 15 best probiotics for kids, we hope we have made it easy for you to decide which one to pick for your child. Which probiotics do you prefer for your child? Let us know in the comments!
Frequently Asked Questions
- What age can you take probiotics?
Probiotics are recommended for all age groups, ranging from infants to adults. However, you need to choose the right formula suitable for the age.
- What is the right amount of probiotics for kids to take?
The dosage may vary depending on the product and based on the pediatrician’s recommendation. But ideally, 5 to 10 billion CFUs per day is considered to be beneficial for children.