Protein is a vital nutrient necessary for a baby’s growth throughout pregnancy. Getting the best protein powders for pregnancy can make protein consumption easy and convenient. If your body cannot absorb enough protein from your food sources despite a balanced diet, a powder supplement could help provide the required protein to your body.
If your doctor recommends including the protein supplement, you may check out these pregnancy-safe protein powders on our list. Also, read the buying guide to understand the factors for picking the right product.
How Much Protein Does A Pregnant Woman Need?
The general recommendation of protein intake for a mom-to-be is 60 grams a day. However, it may vary depending on the number of babies you are carrying or any special conditions. In that case, your dietician can calculate the exact amount of protein required by your body.
7 Best Protein Powders For Pregnancy
1. Best Plant-Based: Boobie Body Organic Superfood
Protein shakes help maintain the protein balance required by a pregnant woman. Boobie body organic superfood is a plant-based protein powder that acts as a meal replacement. It helps the mom-to-be manage her health and body weight. This USDA certified organic protein powder for pregnancy is a mix of prebiotics and 11 strain probiotics, essential amino acids, vitamin D, and nine other superfoods. It contains zero sugar and is free of soy, GMO, gluten, dairy, and hormones. Moreover, the herbal blend is lactation-friendly too. The Kosher protein supplement has more than 3900 reviews on Amazon.
- Can be used in shakes and smoothies
- Specially made to reduce bloating
- Certified Kosher
- Made to be keto-friendly
- Available in five flavors
- May not blend effectively
- May have a grainy texture
2. Best Hydrolyzed: Needed Hydrolyzed Collagen Protein Powder
The protein powder from Needed is specially formulated for pregnant women. It is a pure collagen protein mix with amino acids that meet a pre-and post-natal mother’s increased protein requirement. This hydrolyzed powder boosts tissue health and helps manage body weight and blood sugar levels. It also helps relieve symptoms of nausea, joint pains, and other ailments related to pregnancy. The powder is sourced from pasture-raised, grass-fed, and hormone-free bovine hides. This gentle-on-the-stomach protein powder for healthy pregnancy contains no anti-inflammatories, soy, legumes, grains, or heavy metals.
- Improves mother’s skin health
- Enhances mother’s and baby’s gut health
- Supports pelvic floor integrity
- Helps prevent vaginal stretch marks and tearing
- Developed by naturopathic medicine doctors
- Some may not like the smell and taste
3. Best With DHA: Baby Booster Prenatal Supplement Shake
Baby Booster prenatal protein supplement shake is a vegetarian all-natural DHA-enhanced powder for pregnancy that provides 20 grams of protein with DHA per serving. The soy- and gluten-free shake helps relieve morning sickness while promoting health and nutrition to moms-to-be. The quality ingredients are OB/GYN approved and free of caffeine, preservatives, artificial sweeteners, and GMO. This gluten-free prenatal protein powder for pregnancy is well-loved, with over 2,800 reviews on Amazon.
- Aids in healthy weight gain for baby
- Can help prevent birth defects
- Yummy Tahitian vanilla flavor
- Helps reduce nausea during pregnancy
- May be slightly sweeter than expected
- May be a bit lumpy
Boobie Body Organic Superfood
Needed Hydrolyzed Collagen Protein Powder
Baby Booster Prenatal Supplement Shake
Best With DHA
|5.25 x 5.25 x 7.25 inches
|8 x 3.5 x 10 inches
| 9.25 x 7.56 x 3.23 inches; 1 Pounds
4. Best With Biotin: Designer Wellness Protein Aria, Women’s Wellness Protein Powder
The vanilla-flavored, energy-boosting protein powder for pregnancy from Designer Wellness delivers 15g of natural protein per serving. It is blended with all essential amino acids sans GMO and artificial additives. The soy protein isolate provides 90 calories per serving to help you meet your nutritional recommendations. The proteins are easily absorbed by the body and released slowly to maximize energy and muscle growth. Plant and whey protein with added biotin and vitamin C add a youthful glow to the skin. Calcium, vitamin D, and phosphorus help promote good bone health. This high-fiber protein powder for healthy pregnancy has over 1,700 reviews on Amazon.
- Prebiotic fiber for better digestive health
- Promotes healthy skin, hair, and nails
- Supports digestion and gut health
- Aids in better skin and cell growth
- Does not contain added sugar
- May have a chalky texture
- Some may find it sweeter than expected
5. Best Keto-Friendly: Ora Organic Vegan Protein Powder
Ora Organic’s protein powder is a vegan formula formulated with plant-based proteins. The keto-friendly powder is free of gluten, dairy, GMO, soy, and paleo. This digestive-friendly protein powder for pregnancy provides 22 grams of protein along with five grams of carbohydrates per serving. In addition, 20 superfoods, essential amino acids, and added micronutrients make up this protein shake mix. The rice and pea protein and digestive enzymes are quickly absorbed by the body, causing no bloating. Safe for expecting moms, this powder comes in many flavors. Click this review video to learn more about this plant-based protein powder for pregnancy.
- Helps break down fats and lactose
- Does not have a chalky texture
- Safe for lactating mothers too
- Great for post-workout recovery
- NSF-, USDA- certified for quality
- Suitable for everyday use
- Some may not like the aftertaste
6. Best Soy-Free: Majka Organic Protein Powder
A complete protein source for pre-and post-natal needs, Majka supplement protein powder replenishes the body and supplies digestive enzymes and probiotics. These help with the maximum absorption of essential nutrients. This nutrient-rich protein powder for pregnancy contains whole foods, galactagogues, and bioavailable vitamins, and the vegan formula is free of gluten, GMO, soy, fenugreek, sugar and artificial additives. The protein supplement supplies 15 grams of organic proteins and active vitamin B from fruits and vegetables in each serving.
- Rich in digestive enzymes
- Goes well with plant-based milk
- Can be taken any time of the day
- Replenishes body after giving birth
- Non-GMO protein powder for pregnancy
- Available in chocolate flavor
- Some may find the flavor to be slightly intense
- May have a chalky texture
7. Best Vegan: Vega Protein Made Simple
Vega Protein Made Simple supplies 15 grams of protein per serving. It contains four plant ingredients and is free of gluten, stevia, artificial sweeteners, and gum. The vegan-certified option is free of GMOs, dairy, and lactose and is sweetened with organic cane sugar. Each container of this flavorful protein powder for pregnancy supplies ten servings and is available in four flavors.
- Does not have an overpowering flavor
- Made with a simple mix of ingredients
- Lactose-free protein powder for pregnancy
- Certified by B corp for sustainability
- Available in four flavors and three sizes
- May take time to dissolve
Disclaimer: The information given in the section has been taken from manufacturers’ sources. MomJunction is not responsible for any of the claims made here. We recommend readers’ discretion.
How To Choose The Right Protein Powder For Pregnant Woman?
Since you are choosing a protein powder for pregnancy, it is advisable to be extra cautious. You should consult your doctor before planning to include one.
- Certification: Verify the ingredients of the protein powder by checking the label for organic and safety certifications. Further, ensure that the certifications are trusted and verified. If you are a vegetarian, look for a vegan or a plant protein-based powder.
- Additives: Avoid allergens and specific ingredients, such as GMO, artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, soy, and gluten. Certain herbs may also be questionable during pregnancy and may be harmful.
- Medicinal supplements you are taking: Your doctor may have prescribed you some added vitamin or calcium tablets. Keep those in mind while buying your protein supplement, as you cannot include more than required.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is protein powder safe for pregnancy?
Protein powders can be made from plant- or animal-based sources. They are safe to consume if they are free from added sugars, toxic chemicals, and excess calories (1). However, ensure you opt for pregnancy-safe and expert-backed protein powder.
2. Can pregnant women drink protein shakes?
Any food you consume during pregnancy must be discussed with your healthcare practitioner. With that said, pregnant women do drink protein shakes if they are not receiving the right amount of proteins in their diet. However, you must be careful about ingredients such as herbal ingredients, processed soya, and added sugars, among others.
3. What are good pregnancy protein shakes?
Some of the ideal protein shakes are made of chia seed, avocado, flaxseed, blueberry, and pumpkin pie. In short, protein shakes made of natural ingredients and clean sources are considered better.
4. How can I increase my protein during pregnancy?
To ensure you are receiving the recommended amount of protein per day, try to include poultry, seafood, eggs, meat, nuts, peas, and beans in your diet (2). However, you should discuss with a healthcare professional before consuming them.
5. How do I know I’m eating enough protein when pregnant?
As long as you are not having weight loss or muscle fatigue, you can be assured that you’re having the right amount of protein. However, you should discuss your diet with your doctor to check if you are getting the right amount of protein at all times.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our team of experienced writers and editors have done extensive research and gone through reliable sources to put together this list of the best protein powders for pregnancy. These protein supplements are power-packed with vitamins, amino acids, biotins, calcium, etc., to ensure you and your baby remain healthy. Moreover, we also tell you the factors you should consider when choosing a protein powder.
The best protein powders for pregnancy can help you maintain a healthy diet, meet your daily protein requirements, and keep your unborn baby healthy. When picking one for you and your young one, consider those that are free of artificial ingredients and preservatives such as GMO, gluten, and soy and are easy to blend. You may also pick one with flavoring, but it is crucial to check if it is natural, certified, rigorously tested, and plant-based. Further, do not forget to consult a doctor or nutritionist for their recommendations.
Infographic: How To Choose The Right Protein Powder For Pregnant Women?
Protein powder as a dietary supplement can help mothers meet their daily protein intake requirements. But choosing the right powder could be challenging. So, we have put together an infographic to guide you regarding the aspects to consider when finalizing your purchase. Check it out.
- The hidden dangers of protein powders
- Pregnancy diet: Focus on these essential nutrients
- Health benefits and risks of plant proteins
- Best Toddler Bathtubs
- Best Portable Bathtubs
- Best Baby Bathtubs
- Best Bathtub Trays
- Best Baby Bath Mats