Puzzle games have no age limit, and whether you’re looking for the best puzzles for 2-year-olds or 30-year-olds, they are all super entertaining! We all enjoy solving puzzles, and when it comes to our tiny toddlers, it’s no different. Puzzles are learning tools that can keep kids busy and help them develop in various ways.
From facilitating the development of hand-eye coordination to enhancing cognitive ability and problem-solving skills, the right best-selling puzzles are more than just a game. These are also brain sharpeners and memory boosters for tiny tots. In this article, we have compiled some of the best puzzles by trusted brands that can offer hours of fun for your little one. Take a look.
11 Best Puzzles For 2-Year-Olds To Hone Their Skills In 2023
Aitey puzzle pieces are the perfect size for toddlers. The toddler puzzle set includes six different puzzles illustrated with colorful animals, such as giraffe, panda, squirrel, elephant, tiger, and zebra. Each puzzle comes with a wooden base plate with the complete picture and nine puzzle pieces to solve. The wooden base plate acts as a reference and helps children better understand and solve the puzzle. Check out this product review video to learn more about these problem-solving puzzles for kids.
- Made of safe wood
- Durable puzzle pieces
- Improves problem-solving skills
- Great for constructive thinking
- Improves attention and sparks curiosity
- May require adult supervision
- May have a peculiar odor when new
Graceon wooden jigsaw puzzle set includes four puzzles with park, dinosaur land, transport, and sea animal themes. Each square-shaped puzzle contains 20 puzzle pieces to solve, and the set is entirely composed of wood to stand the test of time. It has scenes painted with vibrant colors, and the surfaces are well-polished to keep the tiny hands safe. The wooden frames painted with the same scene works as a reference and helps toddlers solve the puzzles. Once they are familiar with the design, they can start solving this floor puzzle with no reference.
- No sharp corners for safe play
- Can be gifted on any occasion
- Cultivates baby’s cognitive abilities
- Suitable for use during travel
- Pieces may be smaller than expected
- Puzzle pictures may peel off over time
Our next best puzzle set for two-year-olds is from Nashiro. This set includes six wooden puzzle boards with colorful images of giraffe, elephant, monkey, tiger, tortoise, and a dinosaur. Each board puzzle includes nine puzzle pieces and an illustrated reference board to help the little ones solve the puzzle.
The reference board also acts as a storage board. This interactive puzzle set is safe to play with as it includes puzzle pieces made of thick and large wooden pieces. They are free of harmful chemicals and dyes, and they have no sharp edges. This animal puzzle is appropriate for children aged two to five years.
- Teaches children about animals
- Can be used in preschools and daycares
- Helps develop reasoning in children
- Rounded edges for safety
- Wood may splinter over time
- May not be easy to assemble
Unlike other puzzle boards with regular puzzle pieces, these wooden puzzles have unique irregular pieces. This creative puzzle set includes six puzzle boards with images of a train, dinosaur, lion, dog, fish, and owl. Each square-shaped puzzle board comprises four to six puzzle pieces and is perfect for beginners. The robust wooden boards and thick puzzle pieces are easy for little hands to grasp and assemble. In addition, each image of this toddler puzzle is brightly printed and is water-resistant and scratch-resistant.
- Made of natural birch wood
- Suitable for both group and solo play
- Smoothened and blunt edges
- Available in two sizes
- May be smaller than expected
- Color brightness may fade with time
Bekayshad wooden puzzles are safe and colorful and can attract the little ones to grab and play at first sight. This baby puzzle set includes six wooden boards with cute patterns of a bear, ladybug, butterfly, owl, honeybee, and frog and is made of high-quality wood.
Including unique puzzle pieces with round edges, these easy-to-grab puzzles help enhance fine motor skills and cognitive development and are safe to play with too. It makes one of the best educational puzzles and helps your toddler learn through play.
- Made of non-toxic colors
- Pieces are ergonomically designed for little hands
- Easy to clean using a damp cloth
- Helps in parent-child bonding
- Small parts may pose a choking hazard
- May not be water-resistant
Lol-Fun puzzles are made of durable and sturdy natural wood. This vibrant color six-piece vehicle puzzle set includes images of a ship, airplane, taxi, truck, concrete mixer, and firefighting truck, ideal for shape and color recognition. Each toddler puzzle has four to five puzzle pieces that are irregularly shaped. Their perfect thickness and round edges make them safe and comfortable for small hands to hold.
- Comes in a drawstring bag for easy storage
- Easy to scramble and rebuild
- Vividly colored with non-toxic paints
- Improves children’s problem-solving skills
- Wood may be prone to chipping
- May require adult supervision while playing
7. Best For Fine Motor Skills: Toy Life Wooden Puzzles For Toddlers
The Toy Life set includes eight fun puzzles made of high-quality natural wood. The toddler puzzle pieces are brightly colored with non-toxic paints to attract children, and the designs include a frog, dog, monkey, yellow duck, cow, turtle, lion, and giraffe. These animal puzzles are safe for children to touch and play with and have smooth, rounded edges without splinters. The large-piece puzzles help develop your child’s fine motor skills and cognitive skills and prevent swallowing and choking.
- Helps improve hand-eye coordination
- Helps teach children about animal shapes and colors
- Develops problem-solving skills and early math skills
- Free of harsh chemicals
- Environmentally safe
- May not come with a storage bag
- Some children may find it complicated to assemble
Libay wooden puzzles are colorful and attractive with cute animal illustrations. This puzzle set includes six boards with pictures of a cow, panda, zebra, elephant, leopard, and giraffe.
Each puzzle board has an illustrated wooden frame and nine puzzle pieces to assist them in solving the puzzle. They are made of non-toxic, sturdy wood and have no sharp edges for the toddler’s safety. One of the best educational toys, these animal-themed picture puzzles are simple to solve and fun to play with.
- Made of recycled cardboard
- Helps develop vocabulary
- Engages children for long
- Make a great gift for any occasion
- May not be mold-resistant
- May be thinner than expected
Yohelly wooden puzzles are great for toddlers as they feature cute and colorful animal patterns. This set includes six puzzle boards with images of a fish, tortoise, giraffe, bear, frog, and owl. The chunky puzzle pieces are carved into different shapes, but they all fit flawlessly to form charming animals. They are thick enough and are colored with non-toxic water-based paint that are fade-resistant.
- Introduces children to shapes and colors
- Helps improve problem-solving and spatial reasoning skills
- Meets CPSIA and ASTM safety standards
- Available in different sizes and colors
- Small pieces may pose a choking hazard
- May have a slight wooden smell
Here’s yet another animal-themed puzzle set suitable for two-year-olds that is entirely made of natural wood. This is a five-pack set with nine puzzle pieces on each board, and they include patterns of a panda, cow, elephant, giraffe, and bear.
The bright illustrations on the reference make it easier for children to learn, understand, and solve the animal puzzle. Their polished surfaces and perfect thickness make them suitable and safe for little hands.
- Smooth edges without any burrs
- Made of non-toxic, water-based paints
- Develops fine motor skills
- Gives a head start for children in learning
- Pieces may not be highly sturdy
This toddler puzzle set encourages learning numbers, colors, and counting. The set includes four colorful animal puzzle boards with dolphin, dinosaur, rabbit, and teddy bear patterns. Each board features ten wooden pieces that are painted in different vibrant colors and have numbers printed on them. The adorable number puzzle set is made of quality wood and is coated with lead-free water-based paints. They have the perfect thickness and do not have sharp edges, ensuring the toddler’s safety.
- Free of BPA
- Comes in a storage bag
- Teaches children about animals
- Can be gifted on any occasion
- May not be sturdy enough
- May be smaller than expected
How To Choose The Right Puzzles For Two-Year-Olds?
Here are a few factors to consider when choosing the right puzzle set for a two-year-old.
- Age-appropriate: Even a simple puzzle appears challenging for the two-year-old. Choose an expert-approved beginner-level puzzle that is appropriate for your child’s age group.
- Patterns and design: Look for appealing patterns and designs that will entice toddlers to spend time and attention on them. Go for interactive animal puzzles or vehicle patterns your child loves, and make sure they are painted in beautiful, vibrant colors.
- Easy to fix: The puzzle pieces should be large and thick enough for your child to grasp and flip them comfortably. Further, the puzzle board should be easy for them to assemble with their tiny hands.
- Durable material: Choose puzzles made of strong and durable material to withstand the toddler’s rough play. Choose wooden puzzles because they are eco-friendly and can easily last you through the toddler years.
- Safety: This should be your top priority, as safety comes first. Check if the material is safety-tested and non-toxic. You should also look for jigsaw pieces that are large enough to prevent swallowing and choking.
Why Trust MomJunction?
We have compiled this list of the best puzzles for two-year-olds after extensive research. The simple toddler puzzles listed here are entertaining and engaging for little ones. These puzzles can serve as memory boosters, enhance the development of hand-eye coordination, and improve critical thinking skills, observational skills, and cognitive ability. In addition, we have handpicked high-quality products that are affordable and endorsed by several user reviews on various e-commerce sites.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How should I teach a two-year-old to solve puzzles?
Before asking your child to participate, it is best to start solving the puzzle in front of them multiple times. You can gradually encourage them to take part and guide them to fit the last piece or two. This not only helps them understand how the picture can be solved piece by piece but also helps you spend some quality time with them. Repeat with different pieces until they get the hang of the puzzle.
2. How should I store puzzles?
The puzzle pieces are easy to lose and need a proper storage container. If you have too many puzzles, store each puzzle in a separate cardboard box or a zip-lock cover, and toss them in a box and label it. This way, it is easier to pick a puzzle for the next use.
3. What puzzles are good for a two-year-old?
Simple puzzle designs with fewer pieces and moderate difficulty levels are ideal for introducing puzzles to two-year-olds. Images with vibrant colors make it easy for children to recognize the patterns. Also, puzzles that come with knobs or with a reference image are easy to solve for two-year-olds.
4. Why are wooden puzzles good for a two-year-old?
Wooden puzzles are thick and easy for little hands to grab and fit. They are also strong enough to withstand hard play by two-year-olds and are long-lasting, when compared to cardboard puzzles.
Toy and game brands have started making puzzle sets even for 2-year-olds, knowing the benefits they can deliver. These puzzles from trusted brands can keep your toddler occupied and enhance their cognitive development and hand-eye coordination. Since toddlers are drawn to bright colors and interesting patterns, choosing a puzzle set with these characteristics will help keep them interested in solving the puzzles. You can also explore other kinds of puzzles for two-year-olds, including stacking puzzles, magnetic puzzles, sorting puzzles, matching puzzles, or alphabet puzzles to make their growth more fun. And when the puzzles are made of safe and durable material, they can stand the test of time and ensure safe play.
Infographic: Why Should Your Two-Year-Old Solve Jigsaw Puzzles?
At a superficial level, jigsaw puzzles keep the child happy, engaged, and entertained for a substantial period, but there’s more than meets the eye. So, check out the following infographic to learn the physical, cognitive, and psychological advantages of solving puzzles.