Cycling is one of the most efficient ways to stay healthy, burn calories, and improve stamina. For people who have severe back issues or have limited mobility, not only cycling is difficult but any other means of exercise becomes a hindrance. Although we are forced to stay indoors due to the ongoing pandemic, it is crucial to stay active and investing in a recumbent exercise bike for your home is a worthy investment.
This way, not only will you stay healthy but also exercise in a comfortable position. Unlike upright exercise bikes, the recumbent bikes, or as they call it — seated exercise bikes, have a chair-like seat that provides support to your back by relieving your joints and back from tension, so that you can exercise in a natural sitting position.
Benefits Of Recumbent Exercise Bikes
Before we start with the list, here are a few reasons why you should buy a recumbent stationary bike:
- It provides less tension on the lower back and joints as opposed to regular bikes.
- It allows you to sit in a natural reclined position to reduce weariness.
- The seat has a larger surface area to sit on.
- It is an ideal fitness equipment for people with medical conditions.
- Although low impact, it provides a total body workout.
Buying a recumbent exercise bike can be an expensive affair, so it is important that you make an informed choice. So, take a look at our list of the 11 best recumbent exercise bikes that you can buy right now. Hop on!
Top Products From Our List
11 Best Recumbent Exercise Bikes in 2021
If you have a medical condition and find it challeging to exercise or engage in physical activities, you should give the Marcy’s ME-709 Magnetic Resistance Recumbent Exercise Bike a try! It is designed to tone your body and improve endurance, which helps in reducing weight and burn calories. The design offers ample space to stretch your legs and also makes ascending/descending from the bike easy. It has an 8-level magnetic resistance mechanism that you can change to customize the intensity of your workout. And when you are done with it, you can easily move it to the corner of the room using the wheels at the bottom.
- It can endure a weight of up to 300 pounds.
- It has handles on the side for support.
- The pedals have adjustable straps.
- 14-gauge steel tubing construction with a powered coated finish.
- The resistance level can easily be changed with the help of the tension knob.
- The LCD screen acts as an odometer and displays information regarding speed, distance, and calories burned.
- Its large seat has an ergonomically-designed saddle furnish padded with high-density foam.
- The weighted pedals provide a perfect balance of foot support and total control over the bike.
- Assembling the bike might be a hassle.
If you are a person who likes to track everything about your workout, the Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike is what you need. It has a fully-loaded console with Dual Track blue backlit LCD screens that helps you keep a tab on your workout progress. The bike offers a Bluetooth connectivity option to connect it to the Schwinn Trainer App or any of your other favorite fitness apps. Its high speed, high inertia drive system along with a perimeter weighted flywheel allows the bike for an easy startup and uninterrupted workouts.
- It can endure a weight of up to 300 pounds.
- It has 29 workout program settings which include 12 profile systems and 9 heart rate control modes.
- It has an aluminum seat rail system with an easy-to-use lever to adjust the seat as needed.
- It has 25 levels of resistance to choose from for your preferred workout intensity.
- It also includes a media shelf, in-console speakers with an MP3 input port, adjustable fan, and USB media charging.
- It is compatible with the RideSocial app
- Some may find it slightly heavy.
You don’t really have to visit a gym to achieve your fitness goals, you can do it from your home with the help of the EXERPEUTIC’s 900XL Recumbent Exercise Bike. It features pulse sensors and 8 resistance levels to meet your workout requirements. The pulse sensors are built into the handles on both sides, which target the optimal heart rate zone to help you stay within the limits. It has an oversized cushion with a backrest to allow you to have a comfortable posture while you burn those calories.
- It has a Bluetooth connectivity feature.
- It has large pedals with safety straps.
- Its maximum weight capacity is 300 pounds.
- The easy-to-read LCD screen displays the distance covered, calories burned, heart rate, and other information in real-time.
- You can connect it to the MyCloudFitness app.
- The precision-balanced flywheel and V-belt drive runs the equipment at low noise levels.
- The 2 wheels at the bottom can be used to move the equipment.
- Assembling the bike might take a lot of time.
Are you in need of fitness equipment that is safe for the entire family to use? You can count on MaxKare Recumbent Exercise Bike to keep your family safe and healthy. It is incredibly sturdy owing to its big-sized premium steel frame. The seat is ergonomically designed with a backrest and padded with a high-density sponge. With the help of the pulse grip, you can now track your heart rate and monitor your fitness level in real-time. All the tracking details including heart rate, distance covered, and speed are displayed on the LCD screen.
- It has 8 levels of magnetic resistance, which can conveniently be switched using the tension control knob.
- It can endure a maximum weight of 300 pounds.
- It has a seat adjust lever to set the appropriate level depending on your height.
- You can place your iPad in the tablet holder and enjoy music, movies, or tv shows while you work out.
- It has transportation wheels to move the equipment to a corner when not required.
- The pedals might be a bit noisy at times.
Cardiovascular workouts are one of the best ways to shed fat. This magnetic recumbent bike from Sunny Health & Fitness will ensure you receive a great cardiovascular workout experience to burn calories. It is a comfortable, low impact recumbent exercise bike with 8 levels of resistance. It has a multi-functional digital monitor with pulse, which makes it easy to track workouts. It has self-leveling pedals with safety straps to ensure you don’t lose your footing during cycling.
- It is easy to assemble.
- It has a maximum weight capacity of 300 pounds.
- It has a stabilizer that will level your bike to match your floor.
- It has a wide, well-cushioned seat with easy one-switch seat adjustment flexibility.
- It has handles on the side with pulse sensors to monitor your heart rate.
- It also has non-slip handlebars on the front for support.
- It has transportation wheels at the button to move it around the room with ease.
- In rare cases, the LCD screen may reset mid workout.
This recumbent exercise bike from ATIVAFIT is your perfect workout partner for homes with limited space for gym equipment. This small recumbent bike features a unique X-type design that provides the user with the sturdiness and physical balance needed to workout on the bike. Its magnetic flywheel helps one engage in uninterrupted, convenient, and effective workouts. It has 8 resistance levels of adjustable intensity to customize your workout. It has a versatile and adjustable seat to match the workout situation.
- It has a smartphone/tablet holder.
- The maximum weight it can take is 265 pounds.
- It has pedals with safety straps to ensure a firm footing.
- The LCD screen with Pulse helps you to track your workout from start to finish.
- The heart rate sensors are built into both handlebars to keep a tab on heart rate.
- It can be folded into a smaller form and tucked away in small places like wardrobes.
- It has wheels to move it around effortlessly.
- The magnetic flywheel also helps the equipment to run at virtually no noise.
- Some may find the seat slightly hard and not suitable for long sessions.
If you are looking for exercise equipment that lets you work out like a pro, you need not look further than the ProForm 235 CSX. It has 18 levels of resistance that you can switch between and take your workout sessions to the next level. Its Silent Magnetic Resistance allows you to use the pedals smoothly without making any noise. You will feel comfortable on its oversized adjustable seat that has a backrest for lumbar support.
- The EKG Grip Pulse Sensors help you monitor your heart rate.
- It has a large LCD screen that helps you track information like track distance, and estimated calorie burn.
- 275 pounds is its maximum weight capacity.
- It has an MP3 input port to connect an iPod and play your favorite songs.
- It might not include an AC adaptor for the electronics.
If you are very particular and want to customize your at-home workout sessions, you need something reliable like the Vanswe Recumbent Exercise Bike. It has a fully adjustable seat that can accommodate people of all sizes. Whether you are 5’2” or 6’1” tall, the infinite slider seat adjustment lets you give your legs a good amount of space to workout freely. It has 16 levels of magnetic resistance giving you the flexibility to choose the amount of resistance you want. The bike is fully tested to ensure it performs its best and provides the durability to last a long time.
- It can handle a weight of up to a maximum of 380 pounds.
- It uses Needle Roller Bearing, which offers comfortable and quiet riding sessions.
- It is equipped with a double belt system that provides a stable and smooth riding experience.
- The LCD screen does all the tracking for you and also features Bluetooth Smart Technology.
- Smartphone and tablet holder
- It has hand pulse sensors to monitor your heart rate.
- It has a thick and soft-seat cushion with a backrest for extra comfort ensuring you have the right posture while you are riding the bike.
- Its newly designed pedals have a safety strap that prevents your legs from sliding off.
- The resistance at high settings might not be strong enough.
To achieve your fitness goals, you need to take one step at a time, so why not take those steps with the help of the JEEKEE Recumbent Exercise Bike? It features an advanced 2-way external magnetic flywheel technology to offer greater inertia and a smooth-riding experience. It also has a dual-belt mechanism that allows the bike to run at a mere 20 dB letting you work out in silence. It has a 53.5-inch long body frame, which has a great amount of space for your legs to stretch. It is an ideal piece of equipment for physical therapy.
- It can support a weight of up to 300 pounds.
- It has 8 high-quality neodymium magnets for a greater and more uniform resistance.
- It has an ergonomically designed large seat with a backrest to reduce the stress on your back and joints.
- It has a multi-functional LCD monitor and a tablet holder at the front.
- It has adjustable straps on the pedals.
- It has transportation wheels for easy movement.
- It has a 9-way seat position adjuster to fit the user’s height.
- Short people might have trouble reaching the pedals.
This magnetic exercise bike from HARISON is made from heavy-duty stainless steel materials that flawlessly balance durability with performance. Its easy step-through design allows the users to get on and off the bike without any hassles. With its US Mute Magnetic control system featuring 14 levels of magnetic resistance, you can switch between the levels to make your workout easy or hard depending on your choice. Its torque cranking system is smooth, allowing for a continuous and uninterrupted pedaling motion.
- It is corrosion and oxidation-resistant.
- It can endure a weight of up to 350 pounds.
- The transportation wheels make it convenient to move it around the room.
- It has a multi-functional LCD screen to monitor progress in real-time.
- It has a tablet holder, which also doubles as a water bottle holder.
- Its large seat is padded with high-density foam and has a vented backrest to help with the posture and relieving joints from any pain.
- The seat can be adjusted by using its sliding rail system to have enough space for your legs to work freely.
- It has a heart rate monitor built-in to the armrest on both sides.
- The pedals are extra wide with a non-slip design and safety straps.
- The flywheel cover might be prone to damage.
Are you in need of a recumbent bike that has a very high weight capacity? Rated as one of the best home recumbent bikes, Exerpeutic’s Gold 525XLR boasts a highly durable steel frame that can support a weight of up to 400 pounds. It does not matter if you are 5’2” or 6’5, the bike has a large seat cushion with a backrest designed for people of all sizes. Its semi-recumbent design makes it easy for users to get on and off the bike. The bike utilizes its 3-piece ‘high torque’ cranking system to offer a consistent and smooth pedaling experience.
- It offers 8 levels of magnetic resistance system.
- It has an easy-to-read LCD screen and a hand pulse.
- It provides a high resistance workout owing to its dual-transmission flywheel.
- It can be folded to half its size for convenient storage.
- It has transportation wheels to move it around the room easily.
- The battery may not be quite impressive.
There you go! That was our list of the 11 best recumbent exercise bikes that you can buy online. If you are still confused about which one to buy, we understand, they are all amazing! For this reason, we also have a buying guide that you should read as it will help you choose the best and the right one for your home.
A Helpful Buying Guide For Purchasing The Best Recumbent Exercise Bike
These are a few pointers that you need to keep in mind while buying a recumbent exercise bike:
The magnetic resistance on the flywheel is what provides the intensity for your workout. As you go higher, you will encounter more resistance from the bike. So, if you want a wide range of intensity levels, you should pick a bike with a flywheel that supports multiple levels of intensity.
- Weight capacity
Having a recumbent bike with a high weight capacity can be a make-it-or-break-it feature, literally! High weight capacity does not only indicate its weight tolerance, but it also depicts how sturdy the bike is. So, if you are a big person, you should probably choose a bike that can at least support 300 pounds.
- Display panel
One of the fundamental parts of a recumbent bike is its display panel. Everything related to your workout like distance covered, calories burned, time spent, and other information are displayed on the screen, which helps you keep track of your workout. This is especially useful when you are trying to lose weight systematically.
The whole purpose of buying a recumbent bike is to work out while sitting in a comfortable position. Having the perfect seat is key, so an oversized seat with a backrest is the ideal setup to workout on the recumbent bike. Look for a bike that has a seat that you would like to exercise on.
- Pulse sensors
In recumbent fitness bikes, pulse sensors are used to monitor heart rates in real-time while exercising. This helps in monitoring and maintaining the heart rate at an acceptable rate. This comes in handy if you have any medical conditions that restrict you from getting too excited.
Most of these bikes are transport-friendly owing to their wheels at the bottom, which helps in moving them easily. If you have limited space in your house, you would probably like to give yourself some extra space by moving the bike to a corner. There are a few small recumbent bikes that are compact enough to be even folded and tucked away into a wardrobe.
- Media player
Although this feature is not that important, it is good to have it. Since music motivates people to work out harder, it is good to have a dedicated music player. If that is not there, at least a phone/pad holder should do the trick.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can a recumbent bike burn as many calories as an upright bike?
Both recumbent and upright exercise bikes are extremely efficient in burning calories. But the recumbent bike has the advantage of offering a comfortable posture as opposed to a hunched position on the upright bikes.
2. What kind of power does a recumbent bike need?
There are majorly 3 types of power sources — batteries, AC adaptor, and self-powered. These majorly depend on the price range of the bike. Cheaper ones run on batteries and higher ones run on the charge generated by pedaling.
3. Are recumbent bikes quiet?
Yes, most recumbent bikes have magnetic resistance, which helps the bike to run while virtually making no sound.
Staying fit is something that everybody wants. If you are apprehensive about hitting the gym during the pandemic or might just be a person who enjoys working out at home, recline exercise bikes are a great way to exercise. We hope our buying guide and the list of the top-rated recumbent bikes have given you the perfect workout partner you were looking for. All you need to do now is pick the one you like the most from our list and order away!