You need the best retractable baby gates when your child starts moving around. These retractable gates can be placed on hallways, staircases, doorways, bathrooms, kitchens, and verandahs. They keep your baby safe by preventing them from entering spaces around your house that could be potentially dangerous for little ones.
These retractable gates are just what you need to protect your baby while taking care of household chores. They are also available in different sizes, colors, and designs to blend with the decor of your household without any hassle. So, have a look at this list of the best options in the market.
11 Best Retractable Baby Gates
1. Best With Double-Lock Feature: Perma Child Safety Retractable Baby Gate
Keep your toddler protected with this retractable baby gate that measures 33×71 inches and has a double lock feature. It is waterproof and has a one-sided operation, allowing you to open and close the door while holding the child. The set includes catch mounts, screws, installation gates, and wall spacer shines for baseboards.
You can use this baby gate to keep mischievous pets weighing 10 to 40 pounds in check. The gate’s materials meet all safety standards. It is designed to lock the release mechanism automatically and has a simple two-step operation. You can install the gate within minutes and it is suitable for babies aged six to 24 months. If you want to know more about the benefits of this product, check out this quick review on YouTube.
- Rust-proof material
- UV resistant mesh
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor use
- One year warranty
- Dogs may easily bite the mesh
- Handles may be less appealing for some
2. Best Easy-To-Install: Probebi Retractable Baby Gate
Protect your playful infants and pets from leaving the house by installing this retractable baby gate at strategic points around your home. As the first step of childproofing, this adds a layer of safety and prevents your baby from crawling down a staircase or outside the door by accident. Its retractability makes it easy to install and store when not in use, while the durable and non-toxic materials ensure safety and long-lasting use. It holds up well even after constant outdoor use and is not easy to knock over.
- Upto 72 inches wide
- Water- and rust-proof
- Dirt-resistant for outdoor use
- Safe to use in entryways and tight areas
- Available in three different colors
- Assembly may be challenging for some
- May not be pet-friendly
3. Best Durable: Fefelike Retractable Baby Gate
Keep babies and pets away from off-limit areas with this retractable baby gate that has a solid and sturdy mesh. It is ideal for babies aged six to 24 months. It measures 59×33 inches, and the mesh can be easily retracted when not in use. The durable safety structure of this mesh includes a child-lock system, and all parts of the baby gate are non-toxic and odor-free. With its two-step operation, it is easy to lock and open while holding the child. In addition, the product is designed to keep pets weighing 10-40 pounds at bay. You can use it between patios, doorways, stairways, decks, and banisters.
- Easy to install
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor use
- CPC and ASTM-certified
- Two-year warranty
- Recoil springs may not withstand rough use
4. Best With Functional Features: Skip Hop Retractable Mesh Baby Gate
This indoor and outdoor retractable baby gate weighs 4.1 pounds and measures 32×20.25×44 inches. It is loaded with functional features to make your daily life easy. The wall mounts are customizable and ensure a perfect fit. The gate has a translucent mesh so that the children are always in sight and allows operation with one hand. It can be extended up to 52inches and is safe for babies and pets. You can install it anywhere, including stairways, hallways, and doorways. Here’s an honest review of the product.
- Easy cleaning with wipe-clean materials
- Simple installation
- Made of steel, PP, nylon, and ABS material
- May produce a slight noise
- Corners may bend over time
5. Best With Installation Brackets: Perma Child Safety Retractable Baby Gate
This divider gate, which comes in white, extends up to 71 inches and stands 41 inches tall. When not in use, the mesh can also be retracted. It has a locking mechanism, and the mesh gate’s tightness can be adjusted with a screwdriver. The product is simple to install and includes a grasp handle for hooking and pulling the handle onto the latches.
The retractable gate consists of two sets of installation brackets and can be easily moved to any location. This eliminates the need to remove the latches and screws from the wall. It is ideal for the top of stairs, hallways, and doorways and comes with installation hardware such as wall spacer shims, latch mounts, brackets, and screws.
- Rust-proof and UV-resistant mesh
- Safe for wood and hard wall mounting
- Meets ASTM and EN safety standards
- Comes with one year warranty
- Latching and unlatching multiple handles may be hard for some
6. Best Length-Adjustable: EasyBaby Retractable Baby Gate
This 33-inch high retractable gate by EasyBaby can be easily adjusted to fit an opening as wide as 55 inches, making it suitable for doorways, hallways, and stairways, both indoors and outdoors. Its mesh can be retracted when not in use, and its simple push-and-turn lock mechanism makes it easy to operate with a single hand. The mesh is see-through, which is ideal for keeping a watchful eye on your toddler.
- Easy to install and use
- Suitable for babies aged between six and 24 months
- Can be used as a pet gate
- Includes additional mounting brackets
- Meets ASTM safety standards
- Installation may be tedious
- May not be highly sturdy
7. Best Childproof Locking: Varwaneo Retractable Baby Gate
Be it stairs, doorways, hallways, outdoors, and indoors, this long retractable baby gate keeps your baby protected from mishaps. It comes in white color that will easily blend with any decor, and its mesh lining can easily be rolled to save space. There are two sets of installation hardware, and the soft mesh will not injure the baby if he or she accidentally bumps into it. This divider gate’s components are non-toxic and odorless. You can pull the gate in all directions and install it on almost any material, including brick, concrete, and wood. The double child proof locking mechanism adds additional safety to the product while also taking up less space in your home.
- Allows one-hand operation
- easy-to-grip handle
- Upto 59 inches wide
- Screw may be slightly flimsy
- May not be pet-friendly
8. Best Scratch-Resistant: Kiskiz Retractable Mesh Gate
This wide retractable baby gate can extend up to 65 inches and is 35 inches tall. The divider gate is easy to roll up and has adjustable hardware to accommodate different hardware heights. Its newly designed locking mechanism is simple for adults to use, and the durable yet scratch-resistant mesh leaves no scope to cause injuries to your baby or pets. The baby gate includes two sets of mounting hardware, such as screws, an installation guide, and positioning templates. This gate is detachable and easy to move from one location to another.
- Mesh lining design protects babies from impacts
- Structurally reinforced design
- No trip hazard
- Lightweight and portable
- Mounting hardware may be a bit wider than expected
- May be difficult to assemble
9. Best Portable: Bestlube Retractable Baby Gate
Bestlube’s extra-wide baby gate will keep your children away from dangerous stairs and restricted areas. It’s perfect for patios, hallways, decks, doorways, and banisters. This baby gate has to be twisted clockwise to lock and anti-clockwise to unlock it. When not in use, the mesh can be rolled up, and the one-handed operation of this divider gate allows you to open or close the gate while holding the baby. The product is portable and has an easy-to-use latch. The mesh is strong, and you can pull out the gate in 360°. The gate is designed to protect the baby from injuries if he or she accidentally bumps into it. It measures 56×31.5 inches and includes two sets of installation hardware and guide papers.
- Includes two sets of brackets
- Soft mesh design
- Easy grip handles
- Ideal for hallways, stairways, indoor and outdoor use
- Latches may be flimsy
- May not be scratch-resistant
10. Best For Any Area: Grenfu Retractable baby gate
Grenfu’s indoor and outdoor retractable baby gate measures 70×35 inches. The set includes a retractable gate and two sets of installation hardware, allowing you to move and install this gate easily. The baby gate uses long-lasting materials. The mesh is scratch-proof and soft so that it will not harm your baby in any way. When not in use, you can easily retract the mesh to save space. It is ideal for any area of your home, and its white color will complement any home decor. The gate is designed to keep babies and pets safe from hazardous and off-limit areas.
- Allows one-hand operation
- Mesh lining protects from impact
- Safe for hard wall and wood wall mounting
- Easy grip handle
- Hardware may be a bit flimsy
11. Best Extra-Wide: Womhom Retractable baby gate
This extra wide retractable baby gate can be opened up to 60 inches for added safety. It is 35 inches tall and easily rolls up to save space in your home. The product is ideal for babies and pets. The product is portable and comes with two sets of installation hardware. All you have to do to lock the door is press the button and rotate clockwise. Adults can effortlessly operate the gate, but not children. The set includes easy-to-follow instructions, and the mesh lining is soft, scratch-resistant, and long-lasting. It has adjustable bottom accessories and a white color scheme that will complement any room’s decor.
- Adjustable bottom mounting accessories
- Suitable for hard walls
- Durable mesh
- Ideal for hallways, doorways, deck
- May not be suitable to install at the top of the staircase
- Mounting lock may be slightly thin
How To Choose The Right Retractable Baby Gate?
Below are some points to consider before picking a retractable baby gate.
- Materials: There are numerous materials available on the market, including plastic, wood, metal, and cloth. Cloth gates are the safest because they are soft and will not injure the child. You can also customize them to match your home decor.
- Safety standards: The retractable baby gate you are looking for must meet all safety standards. Ensure that they have been tested for safety.
- Locking mechanism: Always buy a product that has an effective locking mechanism. You should prefer a lock that is easy for an adult to open but difficult for a child to unlock. You can also choose a double latch system.
- Measurements: Take precise measurements of the area where you intend to install the gate. This will assist you in purchasing the product that best meets your needs.
- Budget: Invest your money in a product that will last a long time, is sturdy, and fits within your budget. Determine your needs before investing in a product.
When you have a baby at home, you need to create a safe space for your little one to play, and babyproofing the house is the most sought-after technique. One of the most basic ways of babyproofing your home is using retractable gates. These gates are useful when the baby begins to crawl or walk and help prevent them from gaining access to dangerous places and objects in the house. When looking for one, consider the material, locking mechanism, and size, and ensure it is easy to install.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna specializes in baby products and has written numerous articles on babies and parenting. After in-depth research and hours of scouring through numerous websites, she has compiled this list of the best retractable baby gates. The products in this list are non-toxic, safe, easy to install, and stylish to fulfill your baby gate requirements. In addition, she has provided detailed information on each product and a buying guide section to help you make the right choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are retractable gates safe for the top of stairs?
A staircase can also pose a safety risk when you have a tiny tot at home. Retractable gates can be installed at the top and bottom of the staircase to restrict your child’s movement (1).
2. What is the difference between pet gates and baby gates?
Often, baby gates and pet gates are crafted with the same material; however, the strength of the gates differs. Pet gates are crafted to withstand more strength, while baby gates are lighter. However, they cannot be used interchangeably.
3. Are retractable gates strong?
Retractable gates are strong enough to restrict your baby’s movement. But if your tiny tot learns to open and close the gate latch, the durability of the material will be of no use.
4. Can I attach two retractable gates together?
If you plan to install a retractable gate in a wider hallway or staircase, you can attach two gates with an extension. However, note that not all retractable gates can be extended.
5. What is the ideal time to stop using a baby gate?
Stop using the gate once your baby turns two or once your baby learns how to use the latch or climb the gate (2).
6. Are baby gates hazardous?
Baby gates can be hazardous when they aren’t installed properly. Pressure-mounted gates can be hazardous when used on stairs. Also, beware of the latches, as your baby might use the latch to climb the gate (3).
- Best retractable baby gate for stairs
- New Study Finds Number of Children Treated in U.S. Emergency Departments for Baby Gate-Related Injuries Nearly Quadrupled Since 1990
- Choosing Safe Baby Products: Gates
- Best Baby Cabinet Locks
- Best Sliding Glass Door Locks
- Best Safety Gates For Babies
- Best Retractable Baby Gates