Keep your children active and engaged, and help them embrace the world of science, technology, and automation with our list of the best robotics kits. They allow your child to learn efficiently and effectively from an early stage of their lives. Robotics will develop an understanding and liking towards Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). Make your child future-ready through learning, questioning, and understanding the nuances of technology and robotics. You can explore our list and check out our reviews of the different robotics kits available from various trusted brands to choose the right product.
11 Best Robotics Kits For Kids To Learn STEM Skills In 2023
1. Best With Multiple Modes:Osoyoo V2.1 Robot Car Kit For Arduino
Make your evenings entertaining and productive by building the auto-mode car by Osoyoo. The Arduino robot kit includes a model X board, an HC Bluetooth module, a micro servo motor, a WiFi shield, a line tracking module, and an ultrasonic module to help you create a fast and durable car. Once built, you can enjoy its auto-go, line tracking, and follow modes. You can also program its IR sensors to follow object movements. Moreover, you can also connect this car to your phone via Bluetooth or Wifi for hands-free usage.
- Ideal choice for beginners
- Tracking key facilitates auto-driving
- Equipped with obstacle-sensing buzzers
- Includes user manual and online tutorial
- May require specific batteries
- Some may find it difficult to program the remote
This advanced robot kit comes with interactive software and rich tutorials and is designed for those inclined toward programming, robotics, and electronics. With Your child can play programming games, program with mBot, and learn the basics of Scratch and Arduino. Further, the STEM programming kit can be built with just a few screws and teaches children about robotics components, machinery, and electronics. You can check out this video showcasing a tester’s experience to know more about this programmable robot kit with advanced features.
- Open-source system configuration
- Can be connected to 100+ electronic modules
- Includes 500+ parts
- Step-by-step instructions
- May not be durable
Ideal for children aged between eight and 12 years, this robot kit encourages them to build robots and enjoy DIY science activities. The robot exoskeleton kit comprises three sets for children to assemble. Your child can create electronic balance car toys, reptile robots, doodling robots, and more. Additionally, your child can carry out electronic projects on their own with the help of motors, wires, and all the other parts. Click here to check out this YouTuber’s unbiased review of this affordable robotic kit.
- Teaches the basics of engineering, motors, and circuits
- Stimulates creativity and curiosity
- Complete and clear science guide booklet
- Small magnetic screwdriver
- Small parts could be difficult for children to handle
Mababa’s robot building kit comprises190 pieces and allows your child to build up to 12 types of robots. Right from pistons to shafts, gears, tires, and much more, the kit comes with all that your child needs to build a real, working robot. Furthermore, the robot exploration kit includes a solar panel, eliminating the use of batteries altogether. Powered by the sun, the robot enables playing both indoors and outdoors. So, go ahead and let your child use their imagination to make an original robot and set a solid STEM foundation.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble
- Motorize engine and gears
- Interactive challenges to build robots
- Ideal gift for children aged eight and above
- Instructions may not be clear
Your child can now build up to 14 different types of robots, including a wagging-tail dog, a running beetle, a walking crab, a zombie chaser, and a surf-bot with one solar robot kit. The set comes with connecting parts, such as shafts, wheels, plates, gears, and more. The robots built with this kit can roll, walk, crawl, and float.
- Powered by solar
- Promotes hand-eye coordination and creativity
- Simple to follow the blueprint
- Ideal for children aged above ten years
- Includes 261 toy pieces made of premium ABS plastic
- May take time to assemble
6. Best For Programming:Thames & Kosmos Robotics Smart Machines
Introduce your child to the world of programming with the Thames & Kosmos robotic machine. Suitable for ages eight and up, your child can write their own code or use the pre-loaded ones to move the robot. The parent-recommended humanoid robot kit contains multiple pieces to create models of a bipedal droid, beetle, spy bot, catapult, aircraft, robotic dog, tiltrotor, and robotosaurus. This advanced robot comes with an ultrasonic sensor that sends and receives ultrasound waves to collect information and move the robot. Once assembled, you can make these smart robots talk, wiggle, open their mouth, and even avoid obstacles.
- Can be used to play melodies
- Has 230 buildable pieces
- Compatible with Android and IOS devices
- Illustrated user manual included
- Mobile phone app may have connectivity issues
- Assembly may be time-consuming
Here is a 14-in-1 robot coding kit powered by solar that can operate on flat floors and water. Your child can use the different parts to build up to 14 robots and explore the world of engineering by building, rebuilding, and learning about the different parts.
- Ideal for children aged ten and above
- Introduces children to coding and teaches them about green-energy and mechanical robots
- Improves fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and problem-solving skills
- May need adult supervision
With 190 pieces, this kit allows children aged eight and above to build 12 different types of robots. It comes with detailed instructions to make the assembly process quite easy, and the kit is powered by solar energy and doesn’t require batteries. Furthermore, to ensure a pleasant first experience with robotics, this robot can not only walk and roll on land but also float on water.
- Improves imagination, hand-eye coordination, and STEM skills
- Safe and quality parts
- Smooth surface and edges
- Motor may not be durable
Let your child learn firsthand about gear trains and simple machines via this engineering kit by Thames & Kosmos. This robot companion kit offers children a read-along and build-along adventure. Your child can construct and fix the 53 pieces to build ten non-motorized models during their adventure to an automated candy factory. The robots come with moving gears, wheels, and parts and do not require a motor.
- Colorful plastic building pieces
- Can be assembled and disassembled easily
- Includes a 32-page illustrated storybook manual
- Ideal for children aged three years and above
- Durable and portable storage case
- Limited pieces
This remote-controlled robot kit has a cute humanoid robot named Sloth Robot that can walk and perform multiple actions. The robot is integrated with high-performance 9G servo motors, allowing you to program it to move in all directions, change gestures, and regulate the speed or even dance with it. Also, the robot is intelligent enough to avoid obstacles.
- Helps children learn the basics of coding and robotics
- Easy to assemble
- Remote control for additional fun
- Instructions may not be clear
Let your children learn while playing with this educational robot assembly kit that teaches the basics of construction and engineering. The robot can be controlled through an app and remote control. This rechargeable coding robot is suitable for children aged eight to 12 years.
- Includes more than 405 pieces
- Develops problem-solving and social skills
- Rotating head, arms, and joints
- High simulation track design
- 360-degree rotation
- May pose a choking hazard
How To Choose The Right Robotics Kit For Kids?
Here are some factors you should consider when buying a robot kit for kids.
- Fun element: Make sure that the chosen kit doesn’t solely concentrate on programming and building if it is meant for a young child. A robot kit should offer the child a fun-filled and exciting time too.
- Simple instructions: The instructions should be simple, easy to understand, and beginner-friendly. You can also get robotic kits with modules for obstacle avoidance to ensure long-lasting play time.
- Versatility: A robot kit should allow your child to build various robots and not just one. Moreover, the designs should compel your child to immerse into them completely.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our team of seasoned writers and reviewers bring you this list of the best robotics kits to keep your children engaged for hours while developing their creativity and STEM skills. We have compiled this list after analyzing various products in the market and studying customer reviews for an unbiased opinion. Moreover, we have included the pros and cons and a buying guide to help you choose the right product for your little one.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which kit is best for robotics?
STEM-based DIY robotic kits that have easy-to-follow instructions, facilitate multiple projects in one, and are made of BPA-free ABS plastic and other non-toxic materials that can withstand the test of time are most suitable.
2. Can a 14-year-old learn robotics?
Yes, some of the robotics kits in this list are suitable for 14-year-olds. Read the age recommendations provided by the manufacturer for a better understanding.
3. What age is suitable for robotics?
Most robotics kits enlisted here are meant for eight to 12-year-olds.
4. How should I initiate my child into robotics?
One of the effective ways is to sit and work with the child as they explore engineering and science principles through the DIY robotics project sets.
5. What skills are required for robotics?
The essential skills required for robotics are (1):
- Being thorough with basic math and science concepts
- Problem-solving skills
- Teamwork abilities
- A knack for learning new knowledge promptly
DIY robotics kits can help teach these skills to young minds at a beginner level.
6. Does robotics require coding?
Not all the DIY robotics kits mentioned in this list require coding. Only some software-based projects might need it.
Robotics kits help keep your children engaged while familiarizing them with the world of science and technology. Focusing primarily on building STEM skills in children, these kits help them develop an interest and love for science. However, these kits should also have a fun element to make learning fun. They should be age-appropriate while neither being too easy nor very challenging. When choosing the right kit, check its quality, durability, instructions, and components for easy use.
Infographic: What To Look For In A Robot Kit
Robots are exciting innovations that grab the imagination of children. If your child also likes building or making robots, consider purchasing a robotic kit since these kits help develop various skills in children. Look through the following infographic to learn about some features a robot kit should have.
- 6 Robotics Skills Essential For Industry Success: