Playing outdoors with family and friends can be refreshing and exciting, but children tend to be engrossed in video games and cartoons. So, here’s our list of the best ropes for tree swings to help you build one for your child. A tree swing can encourage your child to play outside while enjoying nature and fresh air. Having a swing in the backyard allows you and your child to spend quality time together. These ropes are durable, high-quality, and long-lasting to ensure your safety.
Available in various options, choosing the right ropes may be challenging. So, go through our list of the best-selling products to find a suitable one that suits your requirements.
Safety Measures To Take While Using Tree Swings
Installing a rope for tree swing may require you to do some homework and learn fundamentals for safety. We have some tips here.
- Location: You need to find a living branch that has leaves on it. Make sure it is not a decaying branch with fungus or bugs as these could break and fall when used for swinging. The branch on which you plan to tie the secure rope for swing should be clean, at the height of 20ft from the ground, at least 30m in diameter, and 12in in length.
- Clearance: The surrounding area where you are planning to fix the tree swing rope should be checked. There should be no hindrance, such as a pillar or a trunk of up to three to five feet around the swing.
- Groundwork: Inspect the ground as children may fall while playing. Remove rocks, branches, stumps, or anything on the ground that could cause injury. Do not hang the tree swing on downward sloped terrain as there may be a risk of injury.
- Seat: Make sure that the seat of the tree swing is high enough for the legs so that they don’t touch the ground. If you are using a wooden plank, then it should not have splinters. And if you are planning to use a tire, don’t use the heavy one.
- Others: Use carabiners, clips, or hardware that can withstand heavy weight. Also, see that the knots are tight and recheck every time you use the swing. In the case of metal parts, keep oiling them. Moreover, always give it a quick test after installation to ensure it is sturdy and durable.
10 Best Ropes For Tree Swing
1. Best Easy-To-Install: Laegendary Climbing Rope Tree Swing
The two-in-one rope is ideal for kids of different ages. They can either climb on the sturdy rope for the swing or sit and swing on the disc. Using the rope helps children to improve their strength and balance. It is made of good quality materials and is safe.
- Adjustable 79.2-inch climbing rope
- Comes with a 4.2-inch tree strap for extension
- Easy and convenient to install
- Available in green and multicolor
- Soft, durable, and sturdy 12-inch disc included
- Seat may be small for some children
- May accumulate water
Select braided ropes for your tree swing, as they can withstand the weight and do not undergo significant stretch. However, discard the rope when you notice wear and tear.
2. Best Durable: Super Deal Spider Web Tree Swing
The tried-and tested platform swing is designed in the form of a spider’s web and is ideal for relaxing. It fits two or three children conveniently and can withstand up to 600lb of weight. The setup is 40-inch in diameter with 71-inch long adjustable ropes. It lets a family spend their time together, and kids have fun with their friends.
- Resistant and resilient to all weather conditions
- Durable ropes for tree swing
- Rounded steel frame gives it a sturdy form
- Collapsible design
- Paint may be prone to chipping
- May be difficult to assemble
3. Best Weather-Resistant: Summersdream Disc Seat Tree Swing
Summersdream’s premium-quality disc seat tree swing comes with a sturdy nylon rope. The child-safe rope is durable and made specifically for children to have an exciting time outdoors. It also helps improve their stability and strength.
- Sturdy and weather-resistant rope
- Tested to withstand up to 200lb of weight
- Available in many colors
- Easy to install
- Seat may be smaller than expected for some
- May not be well-balanced
4. Best Extra-Large: HearthSong Deluxe Platform Hanging Tree Swing
The extra-large swing measures 40 x 30 inches and gives extra fun time to your children and family members. You can stand, sit, and play on the swing as much as you want, as it is designed with ropes that are sturdy and safe to use.
- Can hold up to 250lb weight
- Has a durable steel frame for safety
- Easy and quick to assemble
- Supports more than one child on it
- Foam bumpers may not be durable
- Some may find the ropes to be short
Nylon ropes are the strongest, with long shelf life, but they can be slippery if you sweat even slightly as you grasp the rope.
5. Best Heavy-Duty: StrapMate Tree Swing Straps Hanging Kit
The kit brings you two straps and ropes, each measuring 120 inches, that can be used as rope for a tree swing. They come in a bag and are versatile to hang a tire for a swing, a hammock, or just a wooden block. They are durable, weather-proof, have UV coating, and can be fixed anywhere — be it in the backyard or on a patio. If you want to know more about the results, take a look at this product testing video on YouTube by a reviewer.
- Heavy-duty straps for safety
- Comes with two snap-hook carabiners
- Straps are UV protected
- May have a peculiar smell
- May not swing straight if the tree branch isn’t aligned right
6. Best Stability: Squirrel Products Heavy Duty Plastic Tree Swing
The heavy-duty, durable rope for tree swing measures 112 inches, comes with a sturdy 12-inch disc, and is ideal for kids to play. The high-quality blue-colored disc is safe and stable and is recommended for children who are above three years of age.
- Comes with a metal ring for hanging
- Nylon braided rope for safety
- Tested to withstand up to 120lb of weight
- Suitable for jungle gyms
- Available in three colors
- May not come with installation instructions
- Rope may be thicker than expected
7. Best Anti-Corrosive Ropes: ArtiGifts Tree Swing Ropes Hanging Kit
It is a versatile rope for a tree swing and can support a chair swing, webbing swing, outdoor hammock, and traditional swing. The 72-inch outdoor swing ropes can hold a capacity of 600lb and can be used in the backyard, beach, or camping sites.
- Sturdy, safe, and durable
- Can be assembled in a few minutes
- Weather-resistant and anti-corrosive
- One bag, two nylon ropes for swing, and two steel carabiners included
- May slide down at times
- May not be very adjustable
8. Best For All Ages: Nighthawk Tree Swing Hanging Kit Straps
The safe tree swing straps can be easily fixed on your deck, patio, or in your backyard without the use of any tools for installation. It is made of high-quality and durable materials that ensure security when swinging and playing on the swing. The ropes measure 120 inches, 180 inches, and 240 inches.
- Easy to set up without any fuss
- Tested to hold up to 500lb weight
- Comes with two carabiners
- Ideal for children and adults
- Hooks may be flimsy
9. Best Lightweight: Besthouse Tree Swing Ropes
Sturdy, durable, and of high quality, this tree-friendly rope can be an all-purpose option to hang a tree swing or hammock swing. This strong rope for tree swing is made of 100% polyester material to adapt to any outdoor environment.
- Lightweight, flexible, and easy to fix.
- High-strength, abrasion-resistant, and long-lasting rope
- Available in lengths of 1.64ft and 3.28ft.
- Ends of ropes are sewn for safety.
- Comes with a stainless steel hook.
Avoid wrapping the tree swing rope around a branch or tree to prevent damage to the tree and protect the rope from wear and tear.
10. Best Traditional Style: Carolina Custom Swings LLC Rustic American Tree Swing
In addition to ropes for a tree swing, you also get a rustic black walnut American hardwood plank for a comfortable swinging experience. This traditional style of the tree swing set is handcrafted and easy to fix on the tree. The easy-to-install rope can withstand 300lb of weight and includes 144-inch ropes for each side.
- Edges are sanded and rounded
- Easy to install and durable
- Includes rope clamps for assembling
- May require monthly treating with teak oil
- Some may find the rope clamps hard to tighten
How To Choose The Right Tree Swing Rope?
Following some tips may help in choosing the right type of tree swing rope. Here are a few.
- The rope should be sturdy and durable to withstand high capacity. Some of the materials include nylon, polyester, natural fiber, and polypropylene.
- The thickness of the rope should be half an inch or more in diameter to hold and provide strength.
- It is good to buy a tree swing rope kit that comes with all the tools and is easy and quick to install. These provide a hassle-free experience and are convenient for hanging.
- Pick the type of tree swing rope that is suitable for your family and children. Some of the popular types include tire swing rope, disc swing rope, double rope, and board swing.
- Pick ropes that are weather-resistant and protected from UV rays so that they can withstand extreme weather conditions. Ropes made of polyester and nylon are good options.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do rope swings damage trees?
If the rope and the branch do not have anything in between them, it is highly likely that the rope will eventually rub against the branch and cause it to weaken as you swing.
2. How do I hang the rope for a tree swing?
The best way to hang the rope to secure a tree swing is to use a bowline knot by pulling both ends to ensure it is completely tight and leaving around three inches of tail at the end of the knot.
3. Is rope or chain better for a tree swing?
If you’re using metal eyelets to install a tree swing, you should opt for a chain. However, ropes are a better choice if you’re wrapping your tree swing around a branch.
Why Trust MomJunction?
We understand the importance of spending time outdoors, so our team of experienced writers and reviewers has researched multiple product reviews from numerous trusted websites to compile this list of the best ropes for tree swings. The article also provides information about the safety measures of such swings and an informative buying guide to help you select the right one. These tree swings are durable and will encourage your children to spend time outdoors in a fun way.
Spending time on a tree swing in the backyard can help spend quality time away from gadgets. Tree swings require the best ropes so that they are durably built to help ensure your safety. A lot goes into selecting the suitable rope compatible with your swing. Considering a rope that is sturdy, durable, and suits your child’s physical requirements should be a priority. Further, they should be easy to install, weather-resistant, and suit the type of swing and the location you are willing to install. Hence, our top recommendations include the Super Deal Spider Web Tree Swing with a weight holding capacity of 600lb and the StrapMate Tree Swing Straps Hanging Kit with snap-hook carabiners for added safety.
Infographic: How To Choose The Right Rope For Tree Swings?
One of the crucial and essential requirements for ensuring a functional, safe, and enjoyable experience with tree swings is to secure them with the right kinds of ropes. The infographic below lists the factors you need to consider while checking for the most suitable tree swing rope for your needs.