Wearing the right gear is essential to maximize performance and ensure comfort. If you are looking for the best running skirt, check for the one that pairs well with your top-wear so as not to compromise on fashion. Also, the skirt should feel natural and flatter your body type.
Jodie Filogomo, a style consultant and fashion blogger, says, “Don’t forget that running skirts can be worn every day too. Pair them with a t-shirt and cute flats, and you can go straight to lunch from the court or field.”
Here is a list of some best-selling, lightweight, and premium-quality running skirts from trusted brands that are perfect for your fitness routine. Keep scrolling to know which among the lot available in the marketplace find a place on our list of top stylish running skirts.
11 Best Running Skirts In 2023
1. Best Stretchable: Baleaf Women’s Athletic Skirt
This running skirt, known for its quality craftsmanship, has everything you need for a comfortable run. It’s made from 90% polyester and 10% spandex to ensure maximum stretchability and comfort while running. It also has an inner mesh made from polyester and spandex to enhance the way you move. Suitable for sports like running, tennis, and golf, this pair of athletic wear shorts has an internal drawcord to give you a custom fit while wearing it. Available in floral patterns and bright solid colors like pink, red, and marigold and six different sizes ranging from XS to XXL, this running skirt offers something to every body type and preference.
- Side pockets for convenient storage
- Dries faster
- Cable hole for earphones
- Next to skin fit
- Internal drawcord for comfortable wear
- The seams might fray with daily use.
2. Best Quick-Drying:Baleaf Athletic Pleated Tennis/Golf Skirt
Made from a blend of polyester and spandex, the pleated skirt by Baleaf has a high waist and a four-inch waistband for enhanced support and better coverage. It boasts three pockets — a hidden one on the waistband, an upside-down pocket, and a built-in pocket, allowing you to store tennis balls as well as other knick-knacks. Thanks to the three-inch built-in flexible mesh liner shorts, you no longer have to worry about your skirt flying all over the place. Additionally, the quick-drying property of the fabric keeps you dry and makes the sportswear skirt suitable for intense sports such as tennis, golf, cycling, cheerleading, and more.
- Adjustable waistband
- Allows unrestricted movement
- Available in multiple colors
- Some might find the material sheer
- Might have a peculiar smell when new
3. Best Wide Elastic Waistband: Werena Pleated Tennis Skirt For Women
This is a pleated athletic skirt that blends seamlessly with outfits such as running tanks, casual shirts, and yoga tops. It’s made from 95% polyester and 5% spandex for better comfort while you’re running, cycling, hiking, or just for casual errands. The skirt features a wide elastic waistband for a comfortable fit, an inner layer for enhanced coverage and an outer layer boosts range of motion. You have a wide range of colors to choose from like black, blue, purple, dark green, and navy blue, along with a variety of sizes ranging from XXS to XXL. Since this pair of workout shorts is fashionable and offers maximum comfort, it’s a must-buy for every athlete.
- Two layers for better coverage
- Three pockets
- Elastic closure included
- Breathable fabric
- Seams may be slightly thick
4. Best Wrinkle-Resistant:Crz Yoga Feathery-Fit Pleated Tennis Skirt
Sporting a internal drawstring closure to ensure a snug fit, the flowy skirt by Crz Yoga is suitable for wearing when playing volleyball, golf, or other such sports. It has a length of 13 inches and features in-built spandex shorts to provide superior coverage. Made of lightweight and breathable materials such as polyester and spandex, the tried-and-tested workout skirt offers comforts and allows unrestricted movement while being super soft to the touch. Additionally, its pleated design gives it an aesthetic look. It also features two side pockets and two zippered waistband pockets to store your essentials and small sporting gear.
- Anti-slip strips
- Quick drying
- Durable fabric
- Available in multiple colors and sizes
- May run big
- Seams may unravel over time
5. Best Textured Mesh: Toumett Women’s Lightweight Pleated Skirt
This pleated tennis skirt for women falls right above the knee, making it neither too long nor too short but the appropriate length for sports like golf, tennis, badminton, and running. The skirt comes with shorts attached underneath to keep you completely comfortable and free while playing any sport. The activewear shorts don’t ride up and come with pockets, allowing you to carry belongings like a wallet, mobile phone and keys. Equipped with an elastic waistband and internal drawcord, the polyester-spandex blended skirt is available in a variety of colors and sizes ranging between XS to XL.
- Custom fit
- Textured mesh fabric
- Wide waistband
- Undershorts may be slightly longer than the skirt
6. Best Handmade: Mebiosi Women’s Performance Sports Skirt
Made from polyester and spandex, this skirt by Mebiosi has a drawstring closure to ensure that the skirt stays intact while wearing. It has a unique and fully functional back pocket for keeping your cell phone and other valuables along with an upside-down pocket specially designed to store your golf or tennis balls. Its high-waist design with pleats makes it look cute and on-trend. The tried-and-trusted skirt is available in various colors like pink, black, white, and dark blue along with sizes ranging from XXS to XL.
- Suitable for air drying
- Fabric may be slightly thick
7. Best Machine-Washable:RBX Active Women’s Knit Athletic Skort
Available in sizes XS to XL and multiple patterns, lengths, colors, and waistband styles, the skirt with shorts by RBX is ideal for running, cycling, and hiking. It is attached with a 4.5-inch inseam bike shorts to provide superior coverage when moving around. Made from a lightweight and stretchable blend of polyester and spandex, the skirt has a flat elasticated waistband to avoid pinching and provide a snug yet flattering fit. Its compression shorts have a seamless no-show fabric to add a feminine touch. Moreover, both sides are equipped with pockets, allowing you to store your knick-knacks and essentials such as phones, keys, and cards.
- Quick drying
- Adjustable waistband
- Has a small compression pocket
- Available in several colors
- Waistband might be wider than expected
- May not be pill-resistant
8. Best Vibrant: Go For A Run Running Tutu Skirt
Fitness apparel does not need to be boring. Have a marathon coming up but want to make things more interesting? How about running a marathon wearing a tutu skirt? This super-fun piece by Gone For A Run is made from polyester and can add a lot of sparkle to your races. You have a variety of colors to choose from and it comes in one size that can stretch approximately 23 inches to 47 inches. Whether you want to choose one to match the colors of your favorite teams or look forward to making your race more vibrant and colorful, this tutu skirt has got you covered.
- Vibrantly colored
- May not be suitable for machine wash
9. Best High-Waisted:Queenieke Lightweight Tennis Skirt
The Queenieke tennis skirt with compression shorts is made of lightweight and breathable mesh that increases air permeability and absorbs moisture quickly. The shorts underneath have pockets for your essentials, allowing you to be hands-free while you exercise. The stylish high-waisted design offers tummy control while being comfortable to wear. Further, the waistband does not roll down and is ideal for intensive physical sports and exercise. With a wide range of sizes to choose from, the skirt ensures a secure fit without compromising on style, making it one of the best-selling options.
- Pull-on closure
- Versatile design suitable for various activities
- Available in multiple colors and patterns
- Provides secure coverage
- Colors may appear different from the images
10. Best With Pockets: Stelle Women’s High-Waisted Pleated Tennis Skirts
Made of 93% polyester and 7% spandex, the tennis skirt by Stelle is suitable for sports like badminton, running, swimming, volleyball, and more. It features a stretchable waistband for a secure, soft, and comfortable fit. The activewear skirt has a mesh short inner with two pockets — one sewn upside down to accommodate a tennis ball, and the other to conveniently store your phone. In addition, it has a hidden inner pocket to hold smaller essentials such as keys. The pleated design of the skirt makes you look trendy, while the soft and flowy fabric keeps you comfortable, offering a seamless running experience.
- Lightweight and comfortable
- High and wide waistband
- Zipper closure
- Also available in black
- Pocket seams may be slightly flimsy
- May be a bit long for some
11. Best Lightweight: Little Donkey Andy Quilted Skirt
This skirt by Little Donkey is designed keeping in mind the intensity of the winters. It is lightweight and made up of nylon to offer optimal stretch while making you feel warm and comfortable. It provides you with much-needed protection from the cold climate through ultra-light recycled insulation, and the best part is you can choose between sizes ranging from XS to XXL. The skirt’s waistband has a hidden pocket where you can store your belongings with ease without worrying about their safety. The skirt is available in different solid colors ranging from green, khaki, and black to navy blue.
- Easily packable
- Soft and breathable
- Flexible fabric
- Retains warmth effectively
- Seams might start to fray with daily use
How To Choose The Right Running Skirt?
Here are a few pointers that will help you pick the right running apparel.
- Materials: The material plays an important role in deciding what kind of skirt to buy because the right ones can help you play the game comfortably by ensuring maximum stretch and comfort. Sports skirts are usually made of polyester or nylon. Polyester helps in absorbing sweat, whereas nylon helps in making skirts and shorts more flexible for a better range of motion. Most skin-friendly skirts also come with a blend of spandex for durability and elasticity, so remember to look for this material if you’re on the quest for a skirt that is lightweight, breathable, and moisture-wicking.
- Pockets: Sports skirts and shorts tend to have shallow pockets, which makes it difficult to store things like your phone and keys in a safe space. The best running skirts are designed with shorts underneath that have secure pockets, allowing you to carry everything from phone and cards to tennis and golf balls with ease.
- Sports/Occasion: Many running skirts are made to suit multiple sports like tennis, golf, and running. They are so versatile that you can wear them on casual occasions, too. If you are looking for such skirts, pick one that blends easily with any outfit that you wear and does not lead to chafing. Sports skirts are made according to the physical intensity of different kinds of sports, so go for one that suits a variety of them. Test the stretchability of the skirt if you play sports that require a large range of motion.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is a fashion, hair, and skincare enthusiast and reviewer and enjoys learning about the latest trends to bring you the best products from trusted brands. For this post on the best running skirts, she has thoroughly researched the products’ quality, style, and comfort and analyzed several customer and expert fashion reviews from various e-commerce websites to pick the best-selling options for running gear. This post also includes a buying guide for activewear for women to help you make an informed choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the benefits of running skirts?
Running skirts are made to ensure that you are comfortable while running. They promote better elasticity and flexibility, make you feel both secure and free by combining them with shorts, and offer mild compression that keeps your silhouette streamlined.
2. Will running skirts slow me down?
Running skirts are designed exclusively for running. While gym clothes, such as normal shorts, can create friction between your legs and the material of the shorts, they also help increase flexibility and ensure that you run comfortably, so they do not slow you down.
3. How do I prevent chafing with running skirts?
Choose skirts that are made up of spandex and polyester because they can protect your skin by covering parts of your body that have chafed in the past. However, it is advisable to look for workout clothes that do not have seams to prevent chafing altogether.
Wearing the best running skirts can make all the difference when you engage in a game or sports. They offer comfort and help you perform at your best. Running skirts made of polyester are popular choices as polyester absorbs sweat and is breathable. If you want to keep your phone and keys with you during your practice sessions, you need a running skirt with deep pockets. Today, several trusted brands offer running skirts made for specific sports. So, when it comes to picking a sports skirt, determine the sport you intend to pursue and settle for one that matches your requirements and is designed to help you perform better.
Infographic: What Are The Various Kinds Of Running Skirts?
Running skirts, also known as skorts, feature shorts concealed beneath a fabric panel, giving the illusion of a skirt. They blend the comfort of shorts with the feminine style of skirts, offering versatility and functionality for active women. Explore the infographic below to discover various categories of running shorts to help you choose the most suitable option.