If your child is starting to explore and move around the house, we have created a list of the best safety gates for babies to help you babyproof the home efficiently. These gates are made of plastic, metal, or wood and are commonly installed in kitchens, doorways, and stairway entrances to keep your little one safe from injuries. They are expandable and can fit most areas without hassle.
So, if your child is running around the house opening drawers and doors, these gates can prevent them from accessing dangerous areas. However, with multiple options available, choosing the right safety gate might be challenging. So, read on to learn more.
Our Top Picks
Tips On Using And Installing Baby Gates Safely
Here are a few tips that can help you use and install the baby safety gates correctly.
- Do not climb over the safety gates as this will not only dislodge them but will also give your babies an idea to get out.
- Do not install the gate at the top of the stairways to avoid the risk of dislodging or tripping.
- Install the safety gates at the bottom or the top of the stairways to block access from both sides.
- Go for specialty gates and extensions for creating a barricade around oddly shaped areas.
- Instead of using hollow wall anchors, use wood or wall studs to install the gate hardware.
- Always keep the doors closed.
- Do not install the gate too high as it can create entrapment risks.
- Choose safety gates approved by JPMA (Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association).
13 Best Safety Gates For Babies
1. Best Eight-Panel Adjustable: Regalo 192in Super Wide Adjustable Baby Gate and Play Yard
Regalo safety gates and play yards for babies are generously wide, consisting of eight panels. Measuring 28in high and 192in wide, the four-pack wall mounts require no tools for installation. Each of the panels is designed to adjust into any opening and makes perfect baby gate doors for hallways, angled openings, the bottom of stairs, or doorways. This video will help you make an informed decision about your purchase.
- Suitable for hallways
- Easy to pass through for adults
- Great for pets
- Meets all current safety standards
- Joints may fall off easily
- Children might get their fingers stuck in one of the connecting bar holes
2. Best Wall-Mounted: Toddleroo By North States 47.85in Wide Easy Swing and Lock Baby Gate
Keep your little ones safe with this retractable baby gate. Made with difficult-to-climb vertical bars, this wall-mounted gate is designed for babies from six to 24 months. The 31-inch-high gate opens easily with one hand and needs a gentle push to close and lock. It is an elegant safety gate that makes an attractive choice for stairways and large room openings.
- Made from heavy-duty metal
- Matte bronze finish
- One-hand operation
- Passed strict quality control
- May require additional drilling to attach it
- May not stay open
3. Best Easy-To-Install Wooden Safety Gate: Evenflo Position and Lock Baby Gate
It is an easy-to-install 23in pressure-mounted baby gate intended for babies of six to 24 months. This is one of the most versatile wooden safety gates that can fit in different doorways with ease. The black plastic and dark wood stain make it a good fit for various home decors. It has a durable and secure mesh design for protection. Take a look at this video to learn more about this product.
- Creates a farm look seamlessly
- Made to keep home interiors safe
- Easy to install and reinstall
- Available in additional colors
- Enhances room aesthetics
- May not work well with solvents
- May not suit top of the stairs
4. Best No-Drill Stylish Baby Safety Gate: Summer Infant Decorative Wood and Metal Safety Baby Gate
If you are looking for tall safety gates, you may buy this stylish baby gate made of New Zealand pine wood with a slate metal finish. It has three durable extensions that are easy to install and require no drilling. Designed for convenience and comfort, it has an easy-to-operate 32-inch-high gate that keeps babies and pets safe from trip hazards. Check out this product review video and pick the best-suited one for your needs.
- Stylish design
- Gate can swing in either direction
- Easy to install
- Can be operated using one hand
- Gate latching mechanism relies on pressure
- May bend
5. Best One-Hand Release Baby Safety Gate: Cumbor 49in Auto Close Safety Baby Gate
With a generous width and height, this staircase safety gate keeps crawlers safe. The double-lock safety and auto-close make it suitable for babies aged between six and 36 months. This strong retractable gate can handle the impact of up to 210lb and can be installed with easy pressure mounting in ten minutes.
- Apt for babysitting
- Auto-close feature available
- Double lock safety release makes it difficult for babies to open
- Stronger pet resilience
- May not fit all widths
- May require more effort to open due to its solid structure
6. Best One-Hand Release Baby Safety Gate: Summer Deluxe Stairway Simple to Secure Wood Gate
Designed to accommodate different openings, it is one of the best baby gates for doorways, stairways, and hallways. It includes a hardware mounting kit for easy installation. The comfortable grip handle makes it convenient for one-handed release. Made of wood, it is a durable and high-quality safety gate with a removable swing stop.
- Available in three colors
- Extra tall and wide
- Easy to clean
- Requires drilling holes
- May require additional hardware
7. Best JPMA-Certified Baby Safety Gate: Munchkin Easy Close XL Pressure Mounted Baby Gate
The pressure-mounted, children safety gate for stairs, doorways, and hallways includes 2.75in, 5.5in, and 11in extensions. The 36in high gate comes with a width of 29.5 to 51.6in. Its double-locking system makes it easier for adults to handle but cannot be opened by children.
- Gate’s powerframe keeps gate securely in place
- Door locks easily with push-to-close mechanism
- Available in three colors
- May be difficult to assemble
- May require additional efforts to keep gates in place while installation
8. Best Magnetic Latch Baby Safety Gate: Safety 1st Easy Install Auto-Close Baby Gate
The discreet and functional baby safety gate is used in hallways, doorways, and stairs with pressure-mounted installation and requires no tools. The magnetic latch promises auto-lock, and the SecureTech indicator helps you know if it is locked or not.
- Warranty available
- Hands-free auto-close
- Meets ASTM safety standards
- Does not emit any noise when used
- Pets may get their heads stuck
9. Best Suction Cup Baby Safety Gate: Kidzone Interactive Baby Playpen 8 Panel Safety Gate
This is one of the best safety gates for babies comprising eight colorful panels shaped into various geometric shapes. You can use this gate to create a safe play area in any corner or the middle of a room. The locking gate feature adds to the security, and there are suction cups that comfortably stick on the carpeted and hardwood floors.
- Scientifically designed
- Safe for baby’s delicate skin
- May not suit walking babies
- May not be foldable
10. Best Directional Baby Safety Gate: Kidco Safeway Gate
A simple and sturdy white baby gate for stairs and doorways is made of premium steel. The unique directional stop prevents the gate from swinging over the stairs. It comes with a convenient one-hand operation for adults. The hinge side hardware can be easily mounted on angled surfaces, and its quick-release design makes it safe to remove when not in use.
- Easy to use
- No bottom threshold reduces the chances of tripping over
- Blends well into spaces
- Suits narrow spaces
- Locking device may not last long
11. Best Extra-Wide Steel Baby Safety Gate: Tokkidas Auto Close Safety Baby Gate
It is an extra-wide baby gate with dual-locking and auto-close features. The easy-to-install 40.5-inch-high construction requires pressure mounting and no tools. The kit includes 2.75in and 5.5in extensions along with four pressure mount rods. Made of high-quality steel, it is sturdy and strong that can withstand weight up to 200lb.
- 24-month warranty available
- Gentle on walls
- No tools required
- May not latch easily
- Directions may be vague
12. Best Adjustable Retracting Safety Gate: EasyBaby Products Extra Wide and Extra Tall Baby Gate
For complete safety of your baby, install this tall baby gate that comes with components including catch mounts, stainless steel screws, and wall scrapers for easy installation. It can be adjusted to fit subjective needs and retracted when not in use. You can use it indoors and outdoors to secure stairs and doorways.
- Meets EN standards
- One-hand operation
- Rings may not last long
- Pets may escape easily
13. Best Transparent Woven Mesh Baby Gate: Ottolives Retractable Baby Gate
Ottolives retractable baby gate is a transparent woven mesh that prevents your baby from being hurt if they unexpectedly bump the gate. The gate comes with a double locking mechanism. It is helpful for both infants and pets. It is suitable for stairways, doorways, and hallways.
- Can be operated with one hand
- Suitable for outdoor use
- Soft padding included to reduce accidental bumpings
- Saves space by retracting automatically
- May not be durable enough
- May suit only small dog breeds
How To Choose The Right Baby Gate?
Here are some points to keep in mind while buying a safety gate for a baby.
- Width: Measure the width of the particular opening where you wish to install the gates. It can be a staircase, a hallway, or a doorway.
- Installation: Pressure-mounted baby gates are designed to fit different stairways and doorways and do not require any drilling. Another choice of gates includes fixed or wall-mounted. They make a good choice for long-term use and require drilling holes in the wall.
- Material: Baby safety gates are made of metal, wood, and net. It is your personal preference to pick the one depending upon your interiors.
- Opening type: Some gates can be opened using one hand, some gates have a stay-open option, and some gates can swing open in both directions. Consider based on the area where you wish to install.
- Closing type: Some gates require manual closing, some come with push-button closures, some simply slam-shut, and some have an auto-closing feature. It is again your personal choice on which one to pick.
When Should You Start Using Baby Gates?
The right time to install baby safety gates is just before your baby starts to crawl or scoot. It is usually when the baby turns five months old and begins to move around to explore.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna, being a mother, knows the importance of baby-proofing the house to ensure the safety of your children. Baby gates are one of the most important things that fall on that list. So she brings you a list of the best safety gates for babies that will help you keep them away from possible dangers. This list is based on durability, efficiency, and good user reviews from various e-commerce websites and help you make an informed choice.
Babyproofing your home using the best baby safety gates reduces the chances of your little one getting injuries. It is crucial to select those products made of durable materials and ones that are easy to install and the right size for your doorways and stairs. Sometimes, babies tend to figure out how to unlock the gates, so you might want to pick one after considering the locking mechanism and the baby’s age and height.
- Best Spongebob Toys for Kids
- Best Funny Swimsuits For Women
- Best Kids Punching Bags
- Best Seat Belt Cover