If your child is an avid science enthusiast or simply likes experimenting, there are many great science kits for you to buy. Well, thanks to the STEM learning explosion in the past few years. And since there is an ocean of kits out there, it can get pretty tedious to decide which one you want to invest in. These kits are not just educational but they ensure that your child has a fun time playing with it. Continue reading this MomJunction guide as we walk you through our list of the best science kits for kids.
23 Best Science Kits For Kids
1. Scientific Explorer My First Mind Blowing Science
This science kit is a great way to introduce your kid to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) concepts from a young age. However, we should warn you that it is recommended for kids 6 years and up and requires adult supervision at all times.
- The 20 piece kit allows kids to learn science basics via chemical reactions.
- One can construct, engineer, experiment, and explore using open-ended toys.
- Includes activities such as generating sunset in a test tube and creating a volcano.
- May require some household items to conduct the experiment such as spoons, cups, water, and baking powder.
This chemistry kit is a great way to give your girls a head start on molecular motions and chemical reactions. It is recommended for kids around the age of 8-12.
- It comes with a 32-page lab notebook that will teach them about the key scientific concepts.
- One can perform 19+ fun and colorful experiments on the effects of temperature, chemical reaction, and molecular motion.
- It also includes topnotch supplies needed for experiments such as thermometer, digital timer, and much more.
The Geo Safari Jr. Explorer Scope by Educational Insights is perfect for the little Indiana Jones in your house. Designed for kids around the age of 3 to 6, it allows kids to have their share of adventure in the backyard.
- It is a 2 in 1 microscope and telescope.
- It features a neck strap, rubber handgrips, and perfect-fit goggles.
- 8x microscope magnification and 15x telescope magnification.
Perfect for children aged 5 and up, this experimental greenhouse kit is a great choice for kids to get their hands dirty whilst learning about Botany. It is sure to spark the imagination of young minds with their simple and yet sophisticated design that will grab the attention of young and older kids.
- Kids can conduct plant and seed experiments in their specially designed botanical lab.
- Budding botanists can build an autonomic watering system to make sure the plants don’t die of water shortage.
- One gets to experiment with plant cells and learn about capillary actions.
- They get to discover the role of roots in plant growth and how leaves sweat and everything in between.
- Children can perform 30 experiments and the kit comes with a 48-page colorful manual.
Who doesn’t love a glow in the dark terrarium? Let your kids’ imagination and creativity run wild by allowing them to create their own tabletop terrarium. It has all that one needs to build their own version of a stimulating natural environment.
- Recommended for kids aged 6 and up.
- It is a cool activity to develop nurturing skills whilst also learning about responsibility.
- It consists of a plastic mason jar, decorating lid, potting mix, garden figurines, decorative sand, etc.
- It lets your kids witness two full plant life cycles.
If you’ve got wannabe wizards at home, then grab one of these bad boys which will help them perform some magical stunts. From color-changing froth to bubbly foam, it lets kids harness their inner sorcery. It is recommended for kids aged 6 and up and needs adult supervision.
- Kids get to learn the science behind the magic.
- It comes with a clear tube wand, measuring scoops, star stickers, purple paper, test tubes with stand, and activity guide.
- Activities include making your own crystal ball, the magic hat, and glow-in-the-dark bubbling potion.
- Kids also get to learn about historic wizards such as Baba Yaga, Circe, and Merlin.
This open-ended box from Thames & Kosmos will inspire the inquisitive minds of your kids as they get to experiment with a variety of engaging tools. Perfect for preschoolers and kindergarteners, it provides a fun-filled experience for the little ones. It is not recommended for kids below the age of 3 due to the risk of choking hazards.
- It includes 10 illustrated experiment cards and a 14-page full-color parent guide.
- The kit comes with 24 scientific tools that are easy-to-handle.
- The plastic tools include a multipurpose 14-piece screw-together system among others.
Young kids love to create and play with gross stuff that makes us adults squirm. From silky intestines to fake blood to slimy snot, kids get to create and learn about the human body and bacteria. It requires adult supervision and is not recommended for kids below the age of 8 as the inflated and broken balloons can lead to choking hazards.
- The kit includes a rubber balloon, magnifier, Petri dishes, gelatin, sugar, baking yeast, and much more.
- Kids get to explore human biology by learning about body parts and different byproducts.
- They also get to grow their own fuzzy molds and friendly germs.
Who knew those common ingredients from your kitchen would suffice to create different science experiments? Perfect for kids aged 8 and up, this unique science kit from 4M lets kids perform experiments using everyday items. Warning: It can cause choking hazards for kids below the age of 3.
- Kids get to learn scientific principles using basic kitchen essentials.
- It allows kids to perform 6 different experiments.
- Activities include writing invisible words to launching a rocket using vinegar or generating electricity with a lemon.
- Ideal for avid science enthusiasts of all age groups.
A simple yet fun science experiment kit for the younger lads, this product teaches about basic STEM principles in an interesting way. It requires adult supervision and is not ideal for kids aged 3 or below as it can cause choking hazards.
- It consists of 3 color tablets, 3 test tubes, 3 mixing cups, caps and a lot more.
- From growing colored crystals to creating rainbows on a plate, the possibilities are endless.
- It also comes with an instruction manual that has scientific facts and activities.
This volcanic kit by Playz lets you learn all about volcanoes, natural gases, and much more. It is sure to stimulate wonder and curiosity in the young minds as they get to make and witness their own creations. It is recommended for kids aged 8 and above with adult supervision, and be sure to read the safety instructions on the box before using it.
- It includes volcano island, lava bomb, stand, liquid color pigments, lava foam, citric acid, etc.
- It comes with a detailed guide with simple and fun instructions.
- Kids get to make lava bombs, color-changing volcanic springs, and fizzing mineral pools.
This DIY kit is sure to make the little scientists in your kids come alive. It covers a wide range of scientific topics that are recommended for kids aged 8 and above.
- Children will have first-hand experience learning about magnetic force fields, telegraphic messages, and much more.
- It consists of more than 31 tools and ingredients and a 72-page activity and lab guide.
- It lets you perform 26 plus experiments.
- You get to build magnetic, compass light-emitting diodes, and electric circuits by following the simple instructions in the guide.
Introduce your kids to the world of robotics with this engineering kit from Thames & Kosmos. It is recommended for kids between the age of 8 to 14 and they get to build 8 motorized machines. It is strongly advised to keep this kit away from kids below the age of 3 as it can lead to choking hazards.
- It comes with a 64-page illustration manual on how to assemble the models.
- A tablet or smartphone is needed for its proper functionality.
- The robots can be programmed based on the feedback from the ultrasound sensor.
- An app enables kids to connect the robots to their devices using Bluetooth connection.
Delve into the world of Da Vinci’s inventions by engineering three different models in the kit. It is ideal for kids aged 12 and above. The small parts can cause choking hazards; hence the kit if not recommended for kids below the age of 3.
- The pieces come in a wooden panel that you can gently push out and sandpaper to smoothen rough edges.
- Assemble the pieces by following the instruction manual.
- One can build 3 machines: ballista, bombard, and a catapult.
- You can fire projectiles up to a distance of 15 feet.
- It consists of 15 projectiles and 18 paper targets.
This DIY crystal growing kit from 4M is perfect for all the young science enthusiasts out there, especially those with a love for Geology. It is ideal for kids above the age of 10 years. Parental supervision is advised as the content in the kit may cause choking hazard for children below 3 years of age
- The kit includes complete instructions required to perform for each experiment.
- Can perform 7 distinct crystal growth experiments.
- It also contains a special display kit to place the crystals once they are fully grown.
- Perfect to nurture your kid’s creative and imaginative side.
- Selected by the University of Cambridge.
Tap into your child’s curiosity with an interesting collection of break-open geodes by National Geographic. Each of these high-quality geodes can be cracked open to find a variety of organic crystals inside. As the kit may include small contents that can cause choking hazards, it is not advised for kids below the age of 3 years.
- Each of these geodes is hand-selected and 100% natural.
- The size of each geode may vary between 1 ¼ to 2 ¼ inches in diameter.
- The kit comes with a 16-page full-color guide.
- The kit includes a set of safety goggles.
- It also contains 3 display stands.
Nurture the little paleontologist within your child with the Mega Fossil Dig Kit from National Geographic. This kit is perfect for Paleontology/Archaeology enthusiasts of any age. However, it isn’t recommended for kids below the age of 3.
- Each kit contains an extra-large dig brick with fossils that are millions of years old.
- Fossils can range from corals and clams to sharks and dinosaurs.
- Each dig brick contains 15 genuine fossils from all over the world.
- It comes with a complete set of digging tools including a chisel, a brush, and a magnifying glass.
- The kit also contains a 16-page full-color learning guide about fossils.
Let your child learn the magic of nature with this light-up terrarium kit from Dan&Darci. The built-in LED light beneath the lid helps transform the terrarium into a glow-up garden at night. This kit is not recommended for kids below the age of 3.
- The kit comes with a terrarium jar and a micro-USB charging cable for the LED lights.
- Includes separate packs of soil, blue sand, and white river rocks.
- It also contains chia and wheatgrass seeds to create the miniature garden.
- The kit also comprises 2 figurines and 15 removable stickers.
- Kids can sow the seeds with a small wooden stick and a spray bottle that comes with the set.
- An instruction book is included with brief illustrations that make the assembly simple.
- Ideal for kids of age 6 and above.
Let your child kick-start into his/her astronaut dreams with this glow in the dark planetarium kit from 4M. Caution: the kit contains small parts that can cause choking hazards for kids below the age of 3.
- Your child can create his/her mini planetarium by assembling sun and the 8 planets
- The planets can be painted and customized by adding highlights for the glow in the dark effect.
- Includes detailed instructions
- The kit comes with ten sets of quizzes and a wall chart of facts
- It also includes stencils, rod, glow paint pen, planets, and string
- It is recommended for kids around the age of 8 and above
Learn & Climb brings you an all-in-one kit that lets your kid engage in over 60 different science experiments. The all-inclusive educational kit is perfect for children above the age of 5.
- This kit is ideal for both beginners and advanced students.
- The 55 piece science kit lets your kid perform experiments on everything from Science and Maths to Geography.
- It includes an elaborate instruction manual in full color and with pictures.
- It comes with an instructional DVD providing details on experiments and other informative content.
- It is a STEM approved product.
Calling all the little dinosaur fans out there with this DIY dino soap kit from Dan&Darci. This kit is perfect for kids above the age of 6. The kit contains small parts which may cause choking hazard for kids below 3 years of age.
- Create your own soap in multiple colors (red, blue, yellow, green).
- The kit includes 10 soap-base blocks, 5 dinosaur molds, baker, working tray, and trimming tool to fashion your own dinosaur.
- Customize your dino soap using the green apple and lemon fragrance.
- It is a STEM certified product.
Transform those boring magnetic theories into fun and engaging experiments with Thames & Kosmos’ Magnetic Science kit. Adult supervision is recommended while using this kit as it may contain products and chemicals that may be harmful if misused.
- Lets your kid engage in 33 fun experiments and with magnets.
- It helps you create your own electromagnet.
- The kit includes magnets of different shapes and sizes.
- It also comes with a compass and iron filings to create real magnetic fields.
- It has a 48-page full-color manual illustrating each experiment.
Improve your child’s hands-on ability with the solar robot kit from CIRO. A perfect kit for all the little engineering aspirants out there. It is best suited for kids who fall in the age group of 8-12 years.
- It helps your kid build 12 different robots.
- Comprises 190 pieces including connecting parts such as gears, plates, and tires.
- Easy assembly and disassembly of parts.
- Comes with a manual with detailed instructions to complete each build.
- The robot can be charged using solar energy to perform actions such as crawl, roll, and float on water.
- The kit is perfect to enhance your kid’s STEM education
Benefits Of Science Experiment Kits For Kids
Let’s face it, Science can get really boring in theory. How many of us have dozed off in our Physics and Chemistry classes with theories and explanations that went over our heads? Learning is fun when we get to do things practically, and the same goes for kids.
- If you are hoping to teach your kids STEM principles, then these kits do just that while making sure they have fun while learning.
- Science experiment kits are meant to impart knowledge through subtle and simple ways.
- And since each kit is curated for a specific age group, kids get to discover and learn different science concepts and principles that are sure to satisfy their inquisitive minds.
- They are especially beneficial for teachers as they get to explain various science concepts to their students in fun and interesting ways.
- Using these kits, kids will learn how to apply the principles they learned inside the classroom as they step out into the real world.
- It will also ignite curiosity and develop their problem-solving skills.
How To Choose Right Science Kits For Kids
Given that there are a gazillion options for you to choose from, it can be quite overwhelming to pick the right science experiment kit for your child. However, there are a few tricks that you can use to make your work easier.
- Look for kits that focus on a particular field of science. While certain kits focus on human anatomy, others teach them about chemical reactions.
- Kits can range from simple to sophisticated based on mainly two factors: price and age group.
- It’s best to go for kits that are fully equipped with all the items necessary to conduct the experiment unless it requires easily available household items.
- Most experiment kits will have a detailed instruction manual or a step-by-step guide to help you navigate through the experiment.
- Another factor that comes into play is looking for products that are designed for a specific age group. You don’t want to get your child that is either too simple or too complex for their age.
We hope that with our list of the best science kits, you will be able to give your child a hands-on learning experience and watch science come to life. Do you have any interesting or hilarious stories about your unsuccessful science experiments? Feel free to share with us in the comments below.