If your little one loves experimenting or is an avid science enthusiast, you’d love to hear that the markets are filled with some of the best science kits for kids these days. That means you can satiate your child’s learning interest and curiosity by providing them with a kit they would love.
The boom in the science kits is a result of the STEM learning explosion that has happened through the past few years. Check out our list of some of the best science kits for children and pick the ones you like for your little scientist.
Our Top Picks
23 Best Science Kits For Kids
This science kit is a great way to introduce your kid to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) concepts from a young age. It is designed to delight and educate children about science at an early age. Recommended for kids six years and up, this instructional video will give you more insights into this kit.
- Children can learn science basics via chemical reactions
- Comes with toys for open-ended play
- Includes various interesting activities
- Colorful experiments can be performed at home
- May require various household items for experiments
- May require adult supervision at all times
This chemistry kit is a great way to give your girls a head start on molecular motions and chemical reactions. It is recommended for kids around the age of 8-12. Learn more about this cool product in this video.
- 28-page lab notebook included to teach about the key scientific concepts
- Comes with tools for performing more than 19 fun experiments
- Comes with top-notch supplies needed for experiments
- Aids learning through STEM and art concepts
- Experiments may seem like slightly repetitive variations
- Chemicals fr experiments may be limited
The Geo Safari Jr. Explorer Scope by Educational Insights is perfect for the little Indiana Jones in your house. Designed for children around the age of three to six, it allows children to have their share of adventure in the backyard. This short video gives you more information about the product.
- Works as both a microscope and a telescope
- Toy parts are specially designed to suit children’s needs
- 8x microscope magnification and 15x telescope magnification
- Suitable for STEM learning on the go
- Children may find the toy a bit heavy
- May require more efforts to focus and adjust lens
Perfect for children aged five and up, this experimental greenhouse kit is a great choice for children to get their hands dirty whilst learning about Botany. It is sure to spark the imagination of young minds with their simple and yet sophisticated design that will grab the attention of young and older kids.
- Allows plant and seed experiments
- Features experiments like making an autonomic watering system
- Teaches about plant cells and capillary actions
- Helps discover the role of roots in plant growth
- Comes with 30 experiments along with a 48-page colorful manual
- Instructions may not be clear
- May not be suitable for quick learning
Who doesn’t love a glow in the dark terrarium? Recommended for kids aged six and above, let your kids’ imagination and creativity run wild by allowing them to create their own tabletop terrarium. It has all that one needs to build their own version of a stimulating natural environment.
- Teaches about responsibility and helps nurture skills through activities
- Consists of all the tools required for the activity
- Children can witness two full plant life cycles
- Promotes STEM learning and creative confidence
- May be prone to accumulating mold
- Seeds may take varying time limits to sprout
If you’ve got wannabe wizards at home, then grab one of these bad boys which will help them perform some magical stunts. Recommended for kids aged six and above, this kit contains a variety of experiments. From color-changing froth to bubbly foam, it lets kids harness their inner sorcery.
- Teaches science behind the magic
- Comes with all accessories needed and an activity guide
- Activities include the magic hat, and glow-in-the-dark bubbling potion
- Teaches about historic wizards such as Baba Yaga, Circe, and Merlin
- Chemicals can be harmful if misused
- Small parts can be choking hazards
This open-ended box from Thames & Kosmos will inspire the inquisitive minds of your kids as they get to experiment with a variety of engaging tools. Perfect for preschoolers and kindergarteners, it provides a fun-filled experience for the little ones.
- Ten illustrated experiment cards
- 14-page full-color parent guide included in kit
- Comes with 24 easy-to-handle scientific tools
- Include a multipurpose 14-piece screw-together system
- Comes in a durable plastic storage case
- Teaches STEM concepts
- Some experiments may not be as challenging to keep children interested
- Some may find the tools fragile
Young kids love to create and play with gross stuff that makes us adults squirm. From silky intestines to fake blood to slimy snot, kids get to create and learn about the human body and bacteria. It requires adult supervision and is not recommended for kids below the age of 8 as the inflated and broken balloons can lead to choking hazards.
- Teaches scientific principles using basic kitchen essentials
- Teaches how to grow friendly molds and bacteria
- Includes four petri dishes, cotton swabs, and baking yeast
- Comes with a guide
- Not suitable for younger children
- Some experiments may not work
Who knew those common ingredients from your kitchen would suffice to create different science experiments? Perfect for kids aged 8 and up, this unique science kit from 4M lets kids perform experiments using everyday items. Warning: It can cause choking hazards for kids below the age of 3.
- Comes with six experiments
- Activities include writing invisible words to launch a rocket using vinegar
- Teached STEM concepts
- Comes with an easy-to-follow guide
- Small parts can be choking hazards for children below three years
- Some additional ingredients may be required
A simple yet fun science experiment kit for the younger lads, this product teaches about basic STEM principles in an interesting way. It requires adult supervision and is not ideal for kids aged three or below as it can cause choking hazards.
- Includes innovative experiments like growing colored crystals
- Includes three color tablets, mixing cups, test tubes, and more
- Teaches scientific facts through activities
- Comes with open-ended toys
- Some activities may not be as engaging
- Children may require adult supervision
This volcanic kit by Playz lets you learn all about volcanoes, natural gases, and much more. It is sure to stimulate wonder and curiosity in the young minds as they get to make and witness their own creations. It is recommended for children aged eight and above with adult supervision, and be sure to read the safety instructions on the box before using it.
- Comes with 22+ tools
- Easy-to-understand guide
- Suitable for experiments like lava bombs and fizzing mineral pools
- Can be used in classrooms and homes
- Ingredients may not fuse effectively
- May get messy
This DIY kit is sure to make the little scientists in your kids come alive. It covers a wide range of scientific topics that are recommended for kids aged eight and above.
- Guide comes with interesting facts and pictures
- Includes 31 tools and ingredients
- 72-page activity and lab guide included
- 26 experiments with simple instructions
- Some experiments may have too many steps
- May require additional ingredients
Introduce your kids to the world of robotics with this engineering kit from Thames & Kosmos. It is recommended for kids between the age of eight to 14 and they get to build eight motorized machines. It is strongly advised to keep this kit away from kids below the age of three as it can lead to choking hazards.
- Comes with 64-page illustration manual
- Comes with an app for connecting robots to their devices
- Robots can be programmed based on feedback from the ultrasound sensor
- Can be used to create robots of different shapes
- Requires a tab or a smartphone for better functionality
- Children may need extra help to understand instructions
Delve into the world of Da Vinci’s inventions by engineering three different models in the kit. It is ideal for kids aged 12 and above.
- Sandpaper included for smoothing edges
- Easy to assemble using instruction manual
- Comes with parts needed for building the machines
- Projectiles can reach a distance of up to 15 feet
- 18 paper targets included for playing with projectiles
- Small parts may cause choking hazards
- Battalion firing may be flimsy
This DIY crystal growing kit from 4M is perfect for all the young science enthusiasts out there, especially those with a love for Geology. It is ideal for kids above the age of ten years. Parental supervision is advised as the content in the kit may cause choking hazards for children below three years of age
- Instructions included for experiments
- Comes with display kit to place the crystals
- Perfect to nurture your child’s creativity
- Comes with seven crystal growth experiments
- May not grow to be as large
- Children may find the formation process a bit complicated
Tap into your child’s curiosity with an interesting collection of break-open geodes by National Geographic. Each of these high-quality geodes can ary between one-fourth to two-fourth inches in diameter and be cracked open to find a variety of organic crystals inside.
- Hand-selected and 100% natural geodes
- 16-page full-color guide teaches children about geodes
- Kit contains goggles for necessary safety precautions
- Three display stands included for showcasing collection
- May require help to break open geodes
- Geodes may not open up cleanly
Nurture the little paleontologist within your child with the Mega Fossil Dig Kit from National Geographic. This kit is perfect for Paleontology/Archaeology enthusiasts of any age. However, it isn’t recommended for kids below the age of three.
- 16-page guide about fossils included
- Comes with complete set of digging tools
- Consists of 15 genuine fossils that are millions of years old
- Fossils can range from corals and clams to sharks and dinosaurs
- May leave a mess while in use
- Excessive hammering may break the fossils
Let your child learn the magic of nature with this light-up terrarium kit from Dan&Darci. The built-in LED light beneath the lid helps transform the terrarium into a glow-up garden at night.
- Micro-USB charging cable for the LED lights included
- Includes soil, blue sand, and white river rocks
- Contains seeds to create the miniature garden
- Two figurines and 15 removable stickers included for decoration
- Kit has a spray bottle to water the plants
- Comes with instruction book with illustrations for assembly
- Ideal for kids of age six and above
- May develop molds
- Terrarium may be smaller than expected
Let your child kick-start into his/her astronaut dreams with this glow in the dark planetarium kit from 4M. Caution: the kit contains small parts that can cause choking hazards for kids below the age of three.
- Planets can be painted and customized
- Comes with highlights for a glow in the dark effect
- Includes detailed instructions
- Ten sets of quizzes and a facts wall chart included
- Kit included stencils, rod, glow paint pen, planets, and string
- Paint may not last long
- Pieces may not line up evenly
Learn & Climb brings you an all-in-one kit that lets your kid engage in over 60 different science experiments. The all-inclusive educational kit is perfect for children above the age of five.
- Ideal for beginners and advanced students
- 55 pieces included for performing Science, Mathsand Geography experiments
- Comes with an instruction manual with pictures
- Instructional DVD provides details on experiments
- STEM-approved product
- Experiments may take up more space than expected
- Bags in the kit are not resealable
Calling all the little dinosaur fans out there with this DIY dino soap kit from Dan&Darci. This kit is perfect for kids above the age of six.
- Soaps can be created in multiple colors
- Includes tools to create dinosaur
- Soaps can be customized using fragrance of choice
- STEM-certified product
- Instructions may be a bit complicated
- Liquid soap may clog the mold
Transform those boring magnetic theories into fun and engaging experiments with Thames & Kosmos’ Magnetic Science kit. Adult supervision is recommended while using this kit as it may contain products and chemicals that may be harmful if misused.
- Comes with 33 fun experiments
- Children can create their electromagnet
- Includes magnets of different shapes and sizes
- Compass and iron filings included to create real magnetic fields
- 48-page full-color manual included
- Pieces may be smaller than expected
- Some magnetic pieces may be slightly fragile
Improve your child’s hands-on ability with the solar robot kit from Ciro. A perfect kit for all the little engineering aspirants out there. It is best suited for kids who fall in the age group of eight to 12 years.
- Can build 12 different robots
- 190 pieces include gears, plates and tires
- Easy assembly and disassembly
- Manual comes with detailed instructions
- Can be charged to perform actions
- Enhances STEM concepts
- Pieces may not stay in place
- Robots may not move properly
Benefits Of Science Experiment Kits For Kids
Let’s face it, Science can get really boring in theory. How many of us have dozed off in our Physics and Chemistry classes with theories and explanations that went over our heads? Learning is fun when we get to do things practically, and the same goes for kids.
- If you are hoping to teach your kids STEM principles, then these kits do just that while making sure they have fun while learning.
- Science experiment kits are meant to impart knowledge through subtle and simple ways.
- And since each kit is curated for a specific age group, kids get to discover and learn different science concepts and principles that are sure to satisfy their inquisitive minds.
- They are especially beneficial for teachers as they get to explain various science concepts to their students in fun and interesting ways.
- Using these kits, kids will learn how to apply the principles they learned inside the classroom as they step out into the real world.
- It will also ignite curiosity and develop their problem-solving skills.
How To Choose Right Science Kits For Kids
Given that there are a gazillion options for you to choose from, it can be quite overwhelming to pick the right science experiment kit for your child. However, there are a few tricks that you can use to make your work easier.
- Look for kits that focus on a particular field of science. While certain kits focus on human anatomy, others teach them about chemical reactions.
- Kits can range from simple to sophisticated based on mainly two factors: price and age group.
- It’s best to go for kits that are fully equipped with all the items necessary to conduct the experiment unless it requires easily available household items.
- Most experiment kits will have a detailed instruction manual or a step-by-step guide to help you navigate through the experiment.
- Another factor that comes into play is looking for products that are designed for a specific age group. You don’t want to get your child that is either too simple or too complex for their age.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is passionate about finding the best toys and games for kids. She has curated this well-researched list of the best science kits for kids based on user reviews and product features to help your child have a productive play session that stimulates their scientific mind. She has also mentioned the benefits of science experiment kits for kids and how to choose the right one.
One of the coolest ways of nurturing your child’s curiosity and getting them to experiment with thought processes is by gifting them the best science kits for kids. These table games stimulate creative thinking as well as rational processing, so your little one can develop a scientific approach to life and pursue their interest in STEM subjects when they grow up. Before buying, consider your child’s interests and age group so they can find the games and experiments engaging but not too challenging.