Let your child explore the outside world with our list of the best scooters for 6-year-olds. Children spend a lot of time inside the house on their mobile phones or playing video games. Even toys like board games, dolls, and guns fail to keep their attention for long. Scooters for children encourage outdoor play and help keep them engaged for hours.
Available in different colors, shapes, and sizes, they help enhance your child’s hand-eye coordination and motor skills. So, if you are thinking of giving your 6-year old a scooter, go through our list to find one that suits your little one’s needs and tastes the most.
13 Best Scooters For A 6-Year-Old
1. Best With High-Grade Aluminum: Razor A Kick Scooter
If you’re looking to purchase a scooter that is simple and easy to use, this scooter by Razor might be the one for you. It boasts a high-grade aluminum construction, a sturdy and wide base. It is a lightweight scooter that can be used by six-year-old children and can be put away when not in use. The scooter is equipped with a folding mechanism in which the handlebar is lowered to allow for easy storage. The handlebars can be adjusted by using the locking mechanism and lifting the bar to the desired height. This video will help you make an informed decision about your purchase.
- Polyurethane wheels make it easy to balance
- Rear fender brake to minimize accidents
- No assembly required
- May feel a bit difficult to unfold
- Size may feel small for some children
2. Best BMX-Style: Mongoose Expo Freestyle Scooter
The BMX-style scooter for children has a steel frame that holds the entire scooter together. It features alloy caliper hand brakes and brake cable rotors for freestyle-like 360 bar spins. This children’s scooter can ride over grass and even on concrete surfaces, such as pavements. The rear axle pegs make it possible for kids who love adventure to go beyond performing impressive stunts. Watch this video to get a detailed review of the product.
- Wide foot deck for easy balance while riding fast
- 12-inch air-filled tires for sturdiness
- Available in three attractive color combinations
- Adjustable metal handlebar
- May feel hard to assemble
- Brakes may seem difficult to use for some
3. Best With Adjustable Handlebar: Beleev 2 Wheel Kids Scooter
This scooter for six-year-olds has a sturdy design coupled with an adjustable handlebar that can be lowered from 67-33 inches. The luminosity of this scooter with LED lights increases as and when the scooter moves faster. The company has incorporated 120 mm wheels that are large to ensure children’s safety. Furthermore, they are built with a five bearing springless shocking absorbing system to minimize accidents. It also includes a strong kickstand.
- Non-slip deck is low to the ground for easier jump on and off
- Foldable and lightweight to save storage space
- Sturdy handlebars with foam grips
- Rear fender brake makes it stop smoothly
- Includes a thicket safety latch and a weak safety latch
- Paint finish may not be appealing to some
- Might sound creaky to some
4. Best With Powerful Motor: Segway Ninebot eKickScooter E8
Segway has ingeniously created a scooter for children with a powerful motor of 130 W, eliminating manual operation. The electric scooter is rated for a maximum speed of up to 8.7 mph and can travel up to 6.3 miles. It offers an enjoyable and safe experience as the bike is equipped with an EBS energy recovery function and front shock absorbers. Thanks to its lightweight body and flexibility, this scooter by Segway can be easily folded. It requires just one kick to start. Here’s a video to help you know more about this product.
- Made of aircraft-grade aluminum alloy
- Easy to start and operate for children
- Available in blue, dark gray, and pink
- Brake can be regenerative or hand/foot operated
- Battery life may seem low to some
- Paint may not feel long-lasting
5. Best Durable: Pulse Performance Products KR2 Scooter
This balance scooter by Pulse Performance Products is made from reinforced 6000 series aluminum coupled with high impact 100mm solid core urethane wheels. The wheels are reinforced with ABEC- 5 bearings to ensure a bump-free ride. It has a flat, spring-steel rear foot brake that allows riders to stop quickly and at a moments’ notice without falling off.
- Large flexible handlebar for easy learning
- Available in a variety of cool colors
- Steel frame to encourage safe stunts
- Non-slip deck surface
- Super-smooth wheels
- Handle may feel a bit wobbly
- Parts may feel loose to some
6. Best With Rear Brake: Kicksy Wheels Kick Scooter For Kids
Equipped with the features such as rear steel brakes, an anti-slip base, and a mudguard at the front wheel, the Kicksy Wheel kick scooter is built to ensure the safety of your child and deliver excellent riding performance. The foldable scooter has a rear-end brake and alloy steel frame, making it portable and durable. This kickback scooter is 39 inches long and has a wide, weight-absorbing deck that offers more space for feet, ensuring a comfortable ride in various kinds of terrains. Further, its adjustable handlebar makes it suitable for ages 6 to 12.
- Big wheels for added stability
- Wear-resistant PU wheels
- Shock-absorbing mechanism
- Sturdy aluminum construction
- Superior grip rubber handle
- Tool-less assembly
- May make a loud noise
- Handlebar may be a bit flimsy
7. Best Lightweight: 6KU Kids Scooter
The 6KU scooter has a futuristic look and is equipped with an adjustable handlebar between 26 and 30 inches. This beginner scooter is suitable for children who are learning to ride. Matching the overall look of this safe scooter are the wheels with LEDs. The lights on the wheel are programmed to light up when the scooter is in use. The use of three extra-wide wheels improves stability and allows the scooter to move on most surfaces without leaving scratches, facilitating fun and active play.
- Lean-to-steer system for easy mobility
- Lightweight design for better control
- Non-slip and wide deck for ample space
- Easy to store and transport
- Might feel difficult to fold
- Deck grip’s fixing may seem fragile to some
8. Best With Storage: Viro Rides VR 200 Glow-Rider Kick Scooter
One of the prime features of this flashy scooter by Viro Rides is the implementation of 50 LEDs. The flashing LED lights are built into the two wheels and the deck of the scooter. Three AAA batteries are required to ensure that the light functions continuously. Catering to children of different heights, the company has equipped a scooter with an easy, adjustable handlebar.
- Rear fender brake to stop quickly
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Hassle-free storage
- Solid rubber tires to avoid pavement or sidewalk damage
- Size may feel a bit small to some
- Battery might not last long
9. Best With Brake System: RideVOLO K05 Kick Scooter
This is a two-wheeled scooter with a simplistic design and a three way adjustable handlebar that ranges from 26.7-31.9 inches. The high-grade aluminum alloy frame is capable of withstanding up to 100 lb. The PU wheelsoffer floor protection and eliminate track marks and annoying screechy noises. Keeping the safety of children in mind, the company has used ABEC 5 bearings in this scooter with foot brakes. This scooter ticks all the boxes when purchasing a scooter for kids that looks good and performs just as well.
- Large five-inch LED wheels light up when in use
- Wide scooter deck offers ample space for both feet
- Removable T-bar for storage convenience
- Easy instructions to assemble
- Adjustable design
- Edges may seem sharp
- May feel small in size to some
10. Best With High-Speed Bearings: Titan Flower Princess Scooter
The pretty scooter will steal the heart of your daughter or niece with its pink and girly look. Complementing the pink color are purple wheels that light up every time your child rides the scooter. Like most other scooters, this too is made of aluminum. The ride-on toy scooter has an ultra-lightweight design, making it easy to store around the house.
- Equipped with ABEC-7 high-speed bearings
- Adjustable handle with dual height settings
- Ideal for gifting
- Easy to fold
- Size may feel large to some
- Wheels might seem hard to turn
11. Best With Dual-Stage Folding: L.O.L Surprise! Kick Scooter
L.O.L Surprise! has used a combination of steel and aluminum to contract its scooter for kids. The all-pink design features a funky clip-on brand medallion that makes it a fun and visually appealing scooter for girls. Furthermore, the wheels are made out of polyurethane and make use of ABEC 5 bearings.
- Easily adjustable handlebar to suit varied heights
- Dual-stage folding latch to increase stability
- Easy assembly
- Base may feel a bit compact to some
- Handlebar grip may cause strain to some
12. Best With High-Quality Wheels: WeSkate Kids Scooter
The sturdy scooter by WeSkate earns a noteworthy spot on our list of the best scooters for a six-year old owing to its compact design and durable construction. The all-blue scooter has matching PU wheels with built-in LEDs that light up as they move. The wheels allow for a smooth riding experience both indoors and outdoors. It has a reinforced deck to support the added weight in terms of its longevity. The handlebar can be adjusted from 28 to 32 inches, and the entire scooter can be folded when not in use.
- Suitable for use by children who are around 3 – 12 years old
- Lean-to-steer design
- Rear brake covers for efficient braking
- Tube bar constructed from aluminum
- Footboard may feel narrow to some
- Might seem noisy
13. Best Slip-Resistant: Aosom Kick Scooter
One of the most apparent and sought-after features of this kick-back style scooter is the presence of front and rear brakes fitted on the handlebar. This makes it easy for kids to stop when obstacles or vehicles are ahead. This scooter with adjustable handlebar allows you to fit its height from 33.5 to 37.75 inches for smooth and easy maneuvering. Its inflatable rubber wheels are slip-resistant and provide the necessary grip for riding on different surfaces, making it a fun yet functional outdoor toy.
- Steel frame is made out of aluminum alloy
- Wheels are wear-resistant
- Easy assembly
- Textured foot deck for better balance
- May feel large in size to some
- Paint may start chipping with use
How To Choose The Right Scooters For 6-Year-Olds?
Here’s a quick guide to help you choose the best scooters for six-year-olds.
- Build: Check for deck sturdiness and flexibility of the various parts to ensure smooth operation. These scooters are usually made of high-grade aluminum or a steel frame to support long-lasting performance. Choose a lightweight one for easy use.
- Size: Consider your child’s age and the manufacturer’s recommendation to find the right scooter size for your child.
- Ease of use:Choose a scooter that is easy to handle and has user-friendly controls for easy maneuverability. Your child should be able to learn how to ride quickly.
- Foldability: Check if the scooter carries features that allow for easy folding and storage such as foldable handlebars and removable deck.
- Safety: Look out for features like accident minimization through rear fender brakes, large wheels, wide decks for balance, and front shock absorbers to keep the drive smooth.
- Assembly: The assembly requirement for some scooters can be simple and quick, while others may involve elaborate assembly. So, read the instructions carefully before choosing.
- Surface suitability: Whether you are purchasing the scooter for using in a home lawn/garden or on concrete surfaces, check the surface suitability of its wheels and tires.
- Wheels: For beginners, a 3-wheel scooter is advisable as one first needs to learn how to balance. The three wheels will provide a child with that necessary support. However, if your child is used to riding a scooter, a 2-wheel scooter will do just fine.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is an experienced writer and reviewer of children’s toys and gift items. She recommends the most functional toys and gifts to her readers after analyzing and comparing several products. Here, Priti has listed the best scooters for six-year-olds after considering the features of each. Besides, she also gives you useful tips on buying the right scooter for children.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are Scooters safe for kids?
Scooters are not recommended before the age of eight years, at some places. However, parents need to ensure that the handle and brakes are working properly and should not allow their children to ride one without wearing a helmet and functional guards for the wrists, elbows, and knees. Parental supervision is ideal. Avoid public roads and uneven or unsuitable terrains (1 ).
2. What size scooter does a six-year-old need?
A lot depends on the child’s height and size. Brands may also vary a bit in their prescribed dimensions. Opt for the size you think can be easily handled and maneuvered by your little one (3).
3. What kind of scooter is best for a six-year-old?
Irrespective of the age, if your child hasn’t ridden a scooter or a bicycle before, it’s better to begin their journey with a three-wheeled scooter until they learn to balance well. Also, always ensure the scooter has sturdy and strong handlebars and brakes respectively. Plus, the footboard needs to be wide enough to comfortably accommodate your little one’s feet.
4. How do I measure a child for a scooter?
The height of the scooter is generally selected on the basis of the child’s height. For an average six-year-old ranging from 112 to 126 cm in height, the common scooter height could vary between 60 to 75 cm. Another way of judging could be getting a scooter whose height is somewhere between your child’s height from the ground to the hip and navel. In the end, the comfort of your child should be the final benchmark for selection (2).
5. How do I know if a scooter fits my child?
You need to keep in mind the following measurements: diameter of the wheels, length of the footboard, width of the footboard, height of the handle at all the adjustable levels, and length of the handlebar.
The best scooters for 6-year-olds listed here can encourage your children to spend more time outdoors than in front of the screen. Riding a scooter is entertaining, and thus, it allows children to explore their surroundings. We recommend choosing Razor A Kick Scooter for its sturdy aluminum construction, polyurethane wheels, and foldable design, offering easy storage. Kid’s scooters are available in various sizes and types. When purchasing one for your child, consider the type of scooter that would best suit them and ensure its wheels are slip-resistant, the brakes are smooth, the handlebars are adjustable, and the base is sturdy. It brings us to our next best pick, the Beleev 2 Wheel Kids Scooter, featuring a sturdy design, adjustable handlebar, LED lights, and rear fender brake for added safety. If you seek something thrilling yet safe, you can choose the Segway Ninebot eKickScooter E8 equipped with a powerful motor, energy recovery function, and front shock absorbers, and is lightweight and foldable. Make it a point to purchase a colorful and trendy scooter that appeals to your child.
Infographic: How To Choose The Right Scooter For 6-Year-Olds?
Scooters are an excellent way to build and develop a child’s confidence. They serve as a great way to make outdoor activities fun. However, choosing a scooter for your child could be more complex than you imagine. So, here’s an infographic that’ll help you make the right decision.
- Scooters And Child Safety:
- Scooter Size Chart:
- How to Choose a Scooter for Children
- Best Folding Mobility Scooters
- Best Electric Scooters
- Best 3 Wheel Scooters
- Best Underwater Scooters