This pandemic, gift yourself the chance to be an artist with the help of the best sewing machines in India. Although most people would prefer approaching a tailor for fixing their torn dress or to stitch a new one, the joy, and art of doing it yourself is something else. If you are a millennial or older, you definitely would have seen a sewing machine at your home. Every time you saw your parents or grandparents sew something, you would just sit there watching them do their magic. Just like any other device, sewing machines have come a long way since those days; they are much more user-friendly and include features to make the sewing activity extremely convenient.
Tips On Using A Sewing Machine Safely
- If you are new to stitching or have never used the model that you are going to order, make sure to read the instruction manuals carefully.
- A lot of the brands include a DVD with tutorials about sewing machine basics and techniques that should be really helpful for beginners.
- Request for a demo from the manufacturer on how to use the sewing machine. They might even help you set up the machine and save you some time.
- Make sure you unplug the machine once you are done using it.
- Ensure all the accessories are stored safely in order to not lose them.
Our team has curated a list of the 11 best sewing machines in India that will cater to all your sewing needs. Be it a beginner or experienced, we have options that will suit both.
11 Best Sewing Machines In India For Your New Hobby Cravings
For all kinds of heavy-duty stitching activities, this sewing machine from Singer is exactly what you need. Anything from denim to canvas, this machine is built to sew all that. It is powered by a robust motor offering high sewing speeds to save you from long and exhausting hours of stitching activity. With the clothes just gliding over its stainless steel bedplate and a motor that supports 1100 stitches per minute, you will be done in no time. Singer also has an assistant app that will teach you to sew different fabrics and techniques.
- It provides an adjustable stitch length.
- It has an automatic reverse feature.
- It has an adjustable foot pressure control for sewing lightweight sheers.
- It has one buttonhole with 23 built-in stitch modes that will cater to all kinds of sewing variations.
- There is a convenient drop-in bobbin on the top so that you will not run out of thread during your sewing activity.
- It has a built-in needle threader to help you avoid the frustration of threading the needle manually.
- You can store items in the removable bedplate.
- The bobbin might loosen up sometimes.
If sewing does not come easy for you, this fully-automatic sewing machine uses a Japanese Technology that lets you stitch any kind of fabric with very little effort. The motor allows you to stitch up to 550 stitches per minute and features a compact free arm with zig-zag stitching capabilities. It has a built-in light that offers visibility while sewing in dimly lit rooms. And the auto-tripping bobbin checks if the thread is wound properly before sewing. With all these features, you still think you will not be able to sew?
- It has a handle for easy movement of the machine.
- The dial lets you choose the pattern that you want to stitch.
- It has a dedicated reverse-stitch lever button.
- It has a four-step buttonhole function for hassle-free button sewing.
- It gives you control over the thread tension to make sure the thread does not break.
- There might be a little heating issue while using the in-built sewing light.
By owning this computerized sewing machine from Bernette, you will never need any other machine. It has a total of 197 stitch patterns that you could choose from. You can choose the pattern that you want from the LCD screen using the provided combinations. It has a start/stop button which replaces the functionality of a foot pedal and a speed regulator to give control over the sewing pace. It also includes an auto needle threader and twin needle capabilities.
- The pattern choices include alphabets, signs, and characters.
- It allows for a maximum 7mm zig-zag width and 5 mm length for stitching.
- It has a full rotation drop-in hook system which allows the machine to run at 850 stitches per minute.
- It features a feed dog drop that offers free-hand quilting and embroidery.
- It might have trouble running for long hours at a stretch.
Are you new to the art of stitching or an amateur who does not require a regular-size sewing machine? Then this mini-size machine is what you need to go for. This 4-in-1 mini sewing machine is ideal for all your small sewing activities like sewing up buttons and sleeves. It offers the classic straight-line stitching for primary sewing. It also comes with a large extension table for stable sewing.
- It has a built-in lamp and thread cutter.
- You can choose to run it on batteries or using the power adapter.
- It has a thread spindle and a winding pole to easily rewind the bobbin.
- It is not meant to be used to sew thick fabrics like denim and velvet.
If you lack space in your cupboard for a regular-sized machine, this portable sewing machine is the one for you. Ideally made with beginners in mind, this portable sewing machine can be used for all home sewing tasks like rafting, quilting, and home décor to name a few. It comes pre-threaded out-of-the-box so that you can get to sewing immediately. This is one of the best sewing machines for home use.
- It is lightweight and easy-to-carry.
- Be it denim, velvet, silk, or cotton, you can sew all kinds of fabric.
- You can use the double thread with the two-speed control to sew torn sleeves with ease.
- The build quality might not be up to the mark.
You don’t have to go to your tailor every time you lose a button or need simple repairs, you can do it all by yourself with the help of this electric hand stitching machine from Akiara. It is a handheld sewing equipment that is excellent for all small repairs and basic stitching. It works on a single thread with chain-style stitching. Just make sure that you tie a knot manually when the stitching is done. It does not matter if you are not experienced at sewing, this machine is extremely simple and easy-to-handle.
- It can run on 4 AA batteries or with a DC 6v power adapter.
- It does not need any bobbin at the bottom.
- It is compact and lightweight which makes it usable with one hand.
- The threading might not be strong enough.
Did you find a hole in that dress you were planning to wear to the office today? You could have fixed it in just a few minutes if you had this compact sewing machine from Vivir. It is extremely easy-to-use. It lets you use the foot pedal or just set the speed to low or high as per the requirement. It is the one of the best sewing machines for quilting, altering and creating clothing, home décor, and other home sewing tasks.
- You can either use the power adapter or 4 AA batteries to power this machine.
- It is small and lightweight making it easy to store and move.
- It has an adjustable straight stitch and a reverse sewing feature.
- Enjoy hands-free sewing using the foot control pedal.
- It cannot be used to stitch fabrics like denim, velvet, and other thick fabrics.
Anyone who has been sewing for a long time, knows how good Brother’s sewing machines are. They have been in the industry for over a century and they have just gotten better and better with each year. The JA 1400 is Brother’s affordable and entry-level model for India. It includes 14 built-in stitch patterns and a 4-step buttonhole. The free-hanging arm can be converted from the traditional flatbed to sew cuffs and sleeves.
- It has a built-in LED light that provides brightness for easy viewing.
- The top load for the bobbin is easy to set up.
- It comes with a DVD that provides you a step-by-step tutorial on sewing.
- It might not be ideal for long-term use.
Thinking about adding some embroidery to those plain-looking curtains? Get right into it and sew your custom designs with the help of this electrical sewing machine from IBIS. It is a multifunctional, domestic purpose sewing machine ideal for all your home sewing projects. It offers buttonhole and 10 in-built stitching patterns with speed adjustments for a wide range of possible designs. It has a lock-stitch, top, and bottom threading mechanism.
- It offers both forward and reverse sewing capabilities.
- It can automatically rewind threading.
- You can use the foot pedal to start/stop sewing.
- It has a built-in LED sewing light for better visibility in dimly lit areas.
- Not suitable for long-term use
If you are looking for a sewing machine that is simple and easy-to-use, then you have to give this handheld sewing machine a try! It comes with a few simple features that let you handle delicate fabrics with ease. This small sewing machine is very easy to carry with you when you travel for your on-the-spot repair needs. It has a generous speed of 60 stitches per minute. It can either run on 4 AA batteries or a DC 6v power adaptor.
- It is very easy to set up.
- It can be used on various fabrics like silk, denim, wool, and so much more.
- It offers a slower stitching speed to have control for the stitching which is ideal for any beginner.
- Any fabric that is too hard or has a thickness over 1.8 mm cannot be sewed with this.
- Batteries and the DC 6v power adaptor are not included.
Did your old sewing machine give up? Replace it with this high-quality and portable sewing machine. Packing a few unique features and having a strong build, this one is for the long run. It is very easy to use and offers 12 different sewing patterns to personalize your clothes the way you want. It also has a reverse sewing feature which is extremely handy for the finishing touch-ups and to leave no loose ends.
- It has an in-built light to view in poorly lit areas.
- It includes a replaceable foot.
- It also features double thread, auto winding, and thread cutting features.
- It includes an overlock presser foot which helps in wrapping the thread around the edge to avoid any unraveling.
- The bobbin might get clogged sometimes.
Still confused about which one to buy? Understandably, buying the right sewing machine can be intimidating especially if you are new to it. It’s okay, we have a solution for that too. Continue reading to learn more about the types of sewing machines and a buying guide.
Types Of Sewing Machines In India
- Mechanical Sewing Machine: These are the oldest, basic sewing machines types that require manual work. They are hand-operated and do not require electricity. They either come with a handle and turning wheel or a treadle machine that lets you control the needle and stitches.
- Electronic Sewing Machine: As the name suggests, they need electricity to run. They have a set of in-built patterns that you choose with just a press of a button. It will automatically sew the selected pattern for you without the hassle of any manual work. They have powerful motors that run at high speed or low speed which can be controlled using the regulator. There are other additional features that mostly depend on the brands.
- Computerized Sewing Machine: These run on electricity too but are much more customizable than electronic sewing machines. They have in-built programs like sewing a buttonhole. They have a memory that saves a wide range of stitching patterns and more can be downloaded from the internet when needed. They offer different pressure controls and stitch lengths.
- Serger/Overlock Sewing Machines: These are majorly used by professionals who know their way around stitching and sewing machines. They are made to provide professional-quality edging, hemming, and seaming.
- Embroidery Sewing Machine: These are specially designed for delicate embroidery works. They are advanced computerized machines that have an array of navigation features. Just like computerized machines, they can be connected to the internet and have embroidery patterns downloaded.
Features To Consider While Buying A Sewing Machine
- Purpose: Without getting too preachy, let us tell you that everything has a purpose, buying a sewing machine does too. Before buying, think about what you will be using it for. If it is a simple household task, then mechanical or electrical sewing machines should be okay. But, if you are planning to make some custom-designed clothes or sew complicated patterns, then a computerized sewing machine is the ideal choice.
- Stitching Patterns: Most of the sewing machines nowadays have in-built stitching patterns, so you should consider buying a machine that offers versatile stitching patterns. You can combine these patterns and create something of your own. For example, computerized machines have buttonhole patterns that let you punch a hole for a button with ease.
- Features: Make your life easy by choosing a sewing machine that offers multiple features and reduces manual work as much as possible. Features like an automatic needle threader, thread cutter, adjustable speed control, LED lighting, and free arm are sure to make things easy.
- Machine Portability: Not every household can accommodate big sewing machines; the ones you get should be compact so that you can easily store them in cupboards and are portable enough to carry them from room to room.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the potential reasons for needle breaking?
A. There are so many reasons but some of the common reasons for the needle to break are:
a. If you are using the wrong type of needle based on the fabric.
b. Using them for long hours at a stretch.
c. Using a needle that does not fit the machine.
d. Rough handling of the needle while it is still threaded.
Q. Do I need to use the presser foot every time while using the sewing machine?
A. No, it is not necessary. The presser foot helps in rotating the wheel, so if you are okay with doing it manually with your hands, you can skip using them.
Q. What can I do if my machine starts making too much noise?
A. First, you need to find the reason for the noise. If it is something simple like a damaged needle, then you can fix it on your own by replacing it. But, if you cannot find the source of the noise or are unable to fix it, contact the brand’s customer care for service.
Q. What should I do if the top thread breaks repeatedly?
A. Here are a few things that you can do:
a. Ensure that you are using a high-quality thread for your sewing activity.
b. Look for any knots or tangles in the bobbin or the needle plate.
c. Do not use thin threads for materials that are thick.
Q. Can I control the speed of stitching?
A. Yes, you should be able to control the speed by adjusting the presser foot pedal.
Q. Does a stitching machine consume a lot of electricity?
A. Sewing machines do not consume much power. Most of them run on a 40-70 watt power supply.
Q. How often should I have my sewing cleaned or serviced?
A. That totally depends on how frequently or what type of fabric you use. If you use it regularly or use materials like cotton that can clot up the machine, once in two-three months should be enough to run the machine at its maximum health.
Q. Is it possible to adjust the stitch length?
A. Yes, most sewing machines do provide the flexibility to adjust the stitch length. Since it depends on the brand, you can read the specifications to know exactly how much flexibility it offers.
Q. Why does my sewing machine make loose stitches or loops?
A. Ensure that the thread tension is of the right amount, this will avoid any loose stitches.
Sewing machines are very useful even if you are not a professional. It not only lets you sew up a button or a torn sleeve but it also helps you personalize your clothes or other things like curtains to match the home décor. With this list, you now have everything that you need to know about sewing machines and how to choose the best one. So go ahead, pick the one you like and buy away!