A sewing machine is a useful piece of equipment to own whether you enjoy stitching or not. So, here’s our list of the best sewing machines to help you choose the right one. It allows you to sew clothes in minutes and saves you the time, money, and effort you would otherwise spend on tailoring shops. Most sewing machines provide the basic operations for home sewing, such as repairing tears or sewing fabrics together to construct an outfit. However, you may require a few special features if you want something professional. Our comprehensive list includes models for mending, embroidery, and quilting. So, explore the products and features listed below to choose a machine that suits your needs.
Our Top Picks
15 Best Sewing Machines
The sewing and quilting machine from Brother is easy to use and lets you stitch various designs easily. It is a good pick for beginners looking for an ideal startup machine with a computerized setup. With a plastic body, this lightweight sewing machine is efficient to sew both thick and thin fabrics.
- 60 in-built stitch patterns and seven buttoning styles
- Versatile and durable
- Jam resistance technology and automatic needle threader for smooth functioning
- Varied speed controls
- Easy-to-operate LCD control panel
- 25-year limited warranty
- Threading the bobbin maybe difficult
The computerized sewing machine from Singer comes with multiple accessories. Its 13-buttoned control system and easy threading function make it ideal for home sewing and quilting. Thanks to its 600 stitch patterns, adjustable stitch lengths, and speed controls, this sewing machine is suitable for both beginners and experts. Watch this review video for more details.
- Convenient self-cutting thread feature
- Offers programmable patterns for creativity
- Easy-to-operate LCD control panel
- Comes with 13 presser feet suitable for various stitches
- Quality of the buttonhole may not be great
The handheld mini sewing machine from Cengoy can be good equipment for spot repair and offers precise stitches. Its high strength needle can sew through silk, wool, and leather effortlessly. Its compact size and portable design let you carry it during travel to prevent any unforeseen clothing emergencies.
- Can stitch difficult and coiled positions
- Good battery capacity
- Convenient and easy to use
- Made of ABS materials for durability
- Ideal for simple domestic sewing needs
- Only offers a single stitch pattern
An ideal choice for beginners, this one’s suitable for various types of fabric and allows you to be more creative in your projects. Compact and portable, you can carry the machine around and hone your sewing skills wherever you go.
- Easy to operate
- Lightweight design
- Durable design
- Compatible with various fabrics
- Does not include batteries
The sewing machine for beginners offers 12 stitch patterns and is low maintenance. It features an accessible drop feed and free arm sewing for effortless usage. The machine’s unrivaled stitching quality with dependable, basic, and sturdy function makes it ideal for domestic sewing purposes. Check out this instructional video to learn how this machine works.
- Easy setup and maintenance
- Can be used for light and heavy clothes
- Energy-efficient design
- Adjustable stitch length and speed control
- Comes with multiple accessories such as foot pedal, needle set, and bobbins, which are essential
- Only limited to a few stitch patterns
With 12 stitch patterns, The Luby sewing machine is suitable for beginners. Its heavy-duty steel frame allows stitching bulk amounts conveniently. The strong needle, combined with high-pressure sewing, can mend thick and thin fabrics effortlessly. If you have just started stitching and want to learn the basic sewing techniques, this model can be a great choice.
- Compact and lightweight
- Four-step buttonhole presser for comfortable sewing
- Suitable for domestic sewing
- Can be operated at two-speed levels
- Thread cutter maybe difficult to access
- Size could be small for some
The Juki sewing machine is a combination of compact size and convenient features. Its safety switch prevents the machine from running when the swing cover is opened for threading. You can create decorative styles on sleeves and skirts effortlessly with its multiple stitch patterns. The customized results and two,three,and four-thread capacity options allow maximum control over your stitch patterns.
- Color-coded thread loop aids in a smooth cut
- Ideal for both light and heavy fabrics
- Offers highly precise stitches
- Can be used for hemming
- Understanding the mechanism may be difficult
- Maynot be suitable for beginners
The Wadeo beginner-friendly sewing machine can be used by connecting it to a power source or manually by its foot pedal. Its two-speed dual thread mechanism is ideal for most domestic sewing purposes. With the automatic rewinding system, you can create double stitch patterns with ease.
- Lightweight, compact, and portable
- In-built light for precision and safe usage
- Provides two-speed options suitable for beginners
- Comes with an extension table for convenience
- Maynot be suitable to stitch larger batches
The BTY sewing machine is portable and can be operated using a direct power supply or foot pedal. Its 12 basic stitch patterns are ideal for beginners and domestic sewing purposes. With its simplistic design, this model offers the required results without much difficulty. The machine lets you stitch accurately in low light conditions, thanks to its LED light and adjustable sewing speed.
- Has seamless thread cutter and winding function
- Can be used for crafting and quilting
- Easy to use and maintain
- Reverse stitch button aids smooth functioning
- May not be suitable to stitch thick fabrics
The Beletops mini sewing machine is ideal for both beginners and experts. You can create neat and firm stitch patterns with its dual thread and speed options. Its lightweight and compact size make it convenient to carry during traveling. Its heavy-duty frame and presser foot pedal make it suitable for beginners.
- LED light for night time sewing
- Foot pedal offers effortless function
- Made of a heavy-duty frame for durability
- Easy to use and maintain
- Not suitable for clothes thicker than 0.08in
If you’re looking for a compact sewing machine with an extended sewing surface, the Varmax machine could be a good choice. Its lightweight design is useful for crafts and other domestic sewing requirements. It has an adjustable speed and an in-built thread cutter for convenience. It runs on batteries, so you can take it when traveling.
- Comes with multiple needle sizes for versatile stitches
- Can be also be used with a foot pedal
- Beginner friendly-model
- Ideal for stitching numerous materials
- Base may tumble
The light weight, computerized sewing machine from Heureux is a suitable option for quilting and crafting. It has multiple function buttons and an easy threading guide for beginners. The LCD screen back light and the LED light near the needle make it efficient during nighttime. The stitch selection process is a unique feature that provides 200 stitching patterns.
- Automatic needle threader to reduce eye strain
- Can be used to sew a variety of fabrics
- Compact size and easy to set up
- Made of durable material
- May not be suitable for thick fabrics
The KPCB mini sewing machine is a basic tool designed for beginners who are still getting acquainted with the sewing process. It offers 12 basic stitch patterns for domestic sewing and mending stitches. The pedal foot also helps in using the right pressure for each stitch type.
- Sturdy and durable
- Compact and lightweight design
- Easy to sew sleeves with its slide-able flatbed
- Comes with a buttonhole foot and a storage compartment
- Needle may not pick up on the lower thread easily
The Bernette sewing machine gives a modern twist to traditional mechanical design. It comes with 15 in-built stitch patterns and five different sewing feet. The semi-automatic needle threader makes thread insertion easy and convenient. Thanks to its easy usage mechanism, this model is ideal for beginners.
- Durable and solid body
- Adjustable stitch width
- Convenient-to-use knobs
- Comes with all the basic requirements needed by a beginner
- May not be noise-less when operated
The mini sewing machine from Sew Mighty is powerful with two-speed motors. It can be operated by hand or with the help of its foot pedal. Its simple design and mechanism make it suitable for beginners and experts. With its adjustable stitch size and zigzag stitch patterns, you can use the machine for professional and domestic sewing purposes.
- Contains 12 stitch patterns
- Convenient stitch dial
- Lightweight and portable
- Comes with accessories such as replacement needles, buttonhole foot, needle threader, and measuring tape
- Untangling thread stuck in the machine maybe difficult
How To Choose The Right Sewing Machine?
Most sewing machines meet the basic stitching requirement. But based on your proficiency level, you may need a few add-on features.
- Type: Based on your area of work, you may need to choose a type. Few models with strong needle pressure are ideal for quilting, while models with multiple stitch patterns can also be used for embroidery. Any model can be used for household purposes. You can also choose between handheld and tabletop models based on the place of usage.
- Number of stitches: Beginners usually require two types of stitch patterns, straight and zigzag. The manufacturer has to certify the models suitable for embroidery or quilting. Features such as stitch length adjustment and speed control offer versatility and creativity to the stitches.
- Frame material: Durable models are constructed with metal. Plastic framed models are inexpensive but may not offer longevity.
- Speed: If you need a sewing machine for professional purposes, speed could be a limiting factor. Look for a model with speed control features. Domestic machines usually function at lower speed levels.
- Accessories: Stitching requires multiple accessories for a good output. Every machine must include a bobbin and pressure foot for smooth operation. A buttonhole foot, an expandable table, and a storage unit may add to the functionality.
- Fabric flexibility: Based on the needle’s pressure and strength, the sewing machine is compatible with a fabric of limited thickness. It is an important factor to consider when buying a machine.
- Additional features: Few machines come with an automatic thread cutter and needle threader,making the sewing process easier.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Sewing machines are essential home products that ensure you remain prepared for any occasion. Wedetso Chirhah, who writes extensively about household products, brings you this list of the best sewing machines after exploring several websites and considering the customer reviews and ratings. In addition, he has added the pros and cons of each product and included a buying guide to help you make an informed decision when choosing a sewing machine.
Being able to sew your own clothes or even perform minor reparations here and there is a superbly useful skill to have. It becomes easier to learn or pursue this hobby when you have the best sewing machine at home. The options listed here are versatile, durable, and easy to operate. They come with modern attachments and accessories that keep up with today’s fashion trends, so you can sew anything you fancy efficiently. Whether you choose it for professional or personal use, don’t forget to consider factors like the number of stitches, frame material, speed, and fabric flexibility of the machine.