Get your hands on the best shampoo for cradle cap and say goodbye to your baby’s scalp woes. Cradle cap is a common condition that occurs in babies and can be highly uncomfortable. It causes flaky skin and can develop in babies as young as one-year-old. It usually occurs because your newborn is not accustomed to the environment and can be highly uncomfortable. However, there are tons of shampoos available in the market to give your baby some relief from cradle caps. Keep scrolling as we have listed some tried-and-tested shampoos that are trusted choices of moms and dads for you to pick a suitable one.
11 Best Shampoos For Cradle Cap
1. Best Antioxidant: Weleda Calendula Baby 2-in-1 Gentle Shampoo and Body Wash
Here’s a mild and mom-tested shampoo by Weleda that doesn’t damage the natural balance of your baby’s skin. This shampoo is formulated from extracts of calendula, chamomile, and sweet almond oil. These gentle ingredients have cleansing, soothing, hydrating, and antioxidant properties. The shampoo does not cause eye irritation and leaves the child’s hair soft and tangle-free. You can check out this YouTube video for more information about this baby product.
- Synthetic fragrance-free
- Suits sensitive skin
- Smell may be strong
2. Best Hypoallergenic: Bella B Bee Gone Cradle Cap Baby Shampoo
This baby-friendly shampoo, made from tried-and-tested ingredients such as tea tree oil, amino acids, shea butter, aloe vera, oatmeal, and organic extracts of chamomile and marigold flowers, treats itchy and dry scalp without causing skin irritation. The formula gently unclogs hair follicles, reduces inflammation, and promotes healthy hair growth. Cleaning the hair with this shampoo helps keep the scalp clean and soft and treat cradle cap.
- Light scent
- Vitamin E helps repair follicle damage
- Bottle pump may be hard to use
3. Best Moisturizing: Mustela Baby Cradle Cap Bundle – Shampoo and Cream
Mustela bundle contains two hair care products designed for newborns with cradle cap. The cream helps remove flakes and relieve discomfort, while the foam shampoo washes and rinses away the flakes gently. The key ingredient, avocado, helps moisturize the scalp’s skin. If you are still unsure about purchasing, you can check out a review of this product on YouTube.
- Dermatologist-and pediatrician-tested
- Some may not like the cream’s smell
Weleda Calendula Baby 2-in-1 Gentle Shampoo and Body Wash
Bella B Bee Gone Cradle Cap Baby Shampoo
Mustela Baby Cradle Cap Bundle - Shampoo and Cream
|Dimensions||1.75 x 3 x 7.25 inches||2 x 2 x 6 inches||1.77 x 10 x 6 inches|
|Weight||-||5.6 Ounces||9.12 Ounces|
4. Best Dermatologist-Tested: Babo Botanicals Moisturizing Baby 2-in-1 Shampoo & Wash
The dermatologically-approved 2-in-1 shampoo and body wash by the trusted brand Babo Botanicals is formulated with oatmeal, coconut oil, shea butter, calendula oil, and oat milk to make your baby’s hair soft, silky, and lustrous. This mom-approved shampoo contains Babo’s organic nutri-soothe complex, a blend of antioxidants and vitamins from chamomile, calendula, and watercress. The cradle cap product is suitable for newborns as it is hypoallergenic and does not contain allergy-causing ingredients such as walnuts, peanuts, soy, or dairy.
- Mineral oil-free
- Paraben-and phthalate-free
- Smell may be too strong
5. Best For Sensitive Skin: Dr. Eddie’s Happy Cappy Daily Shampoo & Body Wash
Dr. Eddie’s shampoo and body wash is a trusted and dermatologically approved formula made of natural ingredients, including oatmeal extract, aloe vera, hyaluronic acid, licorice root extract, and pro-vitamin B5. Most of the ingredients of this mom-approved shampoo are derived from natural plant sources and are known for their soothing and moisturizing properties. The shampoo’s pH is similar to our skin, making it suitable for sensitive skin. You can check out this reviewer’s take on the product in this YouTube video.
- Paraben-and phthalate-free
- May not be tear-free
6. Best Cruelty-Free: Baby Mee Bee Gentle Baby Wash/ Shampoo
With natural ingredients, such as honey and aloe vera, this product helps nourish, protect, and soothe the scalp. It does not irritate and is free of harmful components. The nature-based and quality ingredients of this mom-approved shampoo help moisturize and manage your baby’s dry scalp. The formula is gentle and suitable for all ages.
- Smell may be unpleasant
7. Best pH-Balanced: T is for Tame Gentle Foaming Shampoo
Formulated for newborns and toddlers, this trusted and dermatologically-approved pH-balanced cradle cap shampoo gently lifts and rinses away flakes. It contains salicylic acid, a natural exfoliator, and calendula oil that helps calm irritation. This hypoallergenic formula was created specifically for sensitive skin to help reduce allergic reactions.
- Fragrance may be strong
8. Best Plant-Derived Formula: Lemyka Naturals Shampoo and Wash
Lemykashampoo is formulated for cradle cap. Aloe vera, algae, calendula, and panthenol are among its 99.5% of plant-derived ingredients. It is pH-balanced and irritant-free.
- May not lather well
9. Best Non-Toxic: EverJoyn Organics Baby Shampoo & Body Wash
The baby shampoo from EverJoyn is made from nine plant-based ingredients, which are 76% USDA-certified organic, while the rest are gentle and tear-free. This shampoo is 100% waterless, making it more premium, and does not contain any preservatives. The main organic ingredients are orange peel oil, aloe vera extract, and lavender extract.
- Consistency may be watery
10. Best Anti-Inflammatory: Botanical Therapy Pure Baby Shampoo
With natural ingredients, this shampoo helps remove the pollutants while retaining the hair and skin’s natural oils. Calendula, witch hazel, and hibiscus flower extracts help cleanse, moisturize, and protect the baby’s skin. It is suitable for daily use for babies and adults.
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- May not be tear-free
11. Best Dye-Free: Babe Laboratorios Pediatric Cradle Cap Shampoo
Suitable for adults and children, BabéLaboratorios’ cradle cap shampoo helps eradicate and prevent cradle cap gradually. It helps in treatment and prevention and makes the hair smooth and shiny. The pH boosts the efficacy of removing crusts and flakes.
- Paraben-and phthalate-free
- Pediatrician-tested and dermatologist-recommended
- Might take time to wash off the shampoo
How To Choose The Right Shampoo For Cradle Cap?
Here are a few pointers to assist parents when buying shampoo for cradle cap.
- Ingredients: Check the list of ingredients and pick natural shampoos that are free of harsh or toxic chemicals to prevent skin allergies. Look for shampoos without sulfates and phthalates to protect scalp and hair from drying and damage.
- Tearless: It is wise to look for tearless shampoos to keep the bathing experience fun.
- Fragrance: Choose unscented shampoos to prevent irritation. Shampoos with strong fragrances might put the baby off.
Why Trust MomJunction?
To compile this list of the best shampoos for your baby’s cradle cap, we have scoured multiple websites and reviewed numerous user reviews. These shampoos are highly recommended by multiple users for resolving the problem of cradle caps in babies. We have analyzed the product ingredients and quality to ensure they are safe and gentle. This article includes detailed information about each product’s contents, pros, and cons to help you choose the most suitable and safest one for your baby.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is cradle cap painful?
Infants are generally unaffected by cradle cap as it’s not a painful or itchy condition. However, it can result in thick white or yellow scales that can be difficult to remove.
2. What is the difference between cradle cap and eczema?
Cradle cap causes less inflammation and irritation. It develops on the scalp, sides of the nose, eyelids, brows, and behind the ears and typically clears up once your baby reaches eight months. Eczema, on the other hand, causes flaky patches on the baby’s skin and usually develops during the first few months after birth. These patches are dry and itchy and generally found on the arms, legs, and cheeks.
3. Can cradle cap be prevented?
Cradle cap can be prevented by shampooing your baby’s hair every few days. You can use mild baby shampoo unless your baby’s doctor suggests something more potent.
4. Does cradle cap cause hair fall?
Although uncommon, a newborn with cradle cap may lose hair. However, after the cradle cap is gone, the hair should regrow.
5. Do I need special shampoo for cradle cap?
If the cradle cap is mild, regular fragrance-free baby shampoo can remove the cradle cap. If not, it would be best to switch to shampoos formulated specially to treat cradle cap (1).
6. Should I brush out cradle cap after shampooing?
Use a baby brush while shampooing your baby’s hair to remove the scale. You can gently massage with your fingertips to remove the scale (1).
7. At what age does cradle cap go away?
Cradle cap generally goes away on its own between six and 12 months (2).
While seeing rough and scaly patches on your baby’s scalp due to cradle cap can make you worry, you need not be overly concerned. The best shampoos for cradle cap listed here work effectively and are formulated with natural ingredients that are gentle on the baby’s skin. These shampoos for babies do not cause irritation to the baby’s eyes and are free of harsh chemicals, such as parabens and phthalates. Moreover, most of these shampoos are hypoallergenic and tested by board-certified dermatologists.
Infographic: Points To Consider When Shampooing A Baby With A Cradle Cap
Cradle cap shampoos for babies help manage the condition when used under the guidance of a pediatric dermatologist. Nevertheless, certain measures must be followed to ensure the shampoo works effectively. The following infographic brings notable points to remember when shampooing a baby with cradle cap.
- How To Treat Cradle Cap
- Cradle cap
- Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils
- Cradle cap
- Best Shampoos For Your Baby
- Best Baby Shampoos For Dry Scalp
- Best Baby Shampoos For Eczema
- Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Care Products
- Best Anti Dandruff Shampoos For Kids