The best shelf liners are great kitchen accessories to protect the cabinets, cupboards, or drawers from oil spills, stains, or moisture. Shelf liners are washable and have anti-slip surfaces, offering a good grip. They are durable, flexible, and available in various designs and colors. You can get them in adhesive and non-adhesive models.
If you find it difficult to pick one, this list of tried-and-tested products will help. Read on as we review some expert-recommended products and highlight their pros and cons so you can pick a suitable one that complements your home needs.
Types of Shelf Liners
Shelf-liners are categorized based on the material used to make them.
- Fabric: Fabric shelf liners are generally non-adhesive and soft in texture. These are mostly washable and can easily be reused. Being non-adhesive, the fabric shelf liners do not leave behind any unwanted sticky residues on the surface of shelves/cabinets/drawers.
- Vinyl: Unlike fabric liners, vinyl shelf liners are relatively thicker and can be both adhesive as well as non-adhesive. Though durable and budget-friendly, these liners may not be reusable. The adhesive vinyl liners, in particular, can be a little messy, leaving behind unwanted residues on the surface used.
- Foam: Foam shelf liners come with a better grip and are an ideal choice for shelves used for storing delicate crockery and glassware.
- Plastic: Unlike fabric, vinyl, and foam liners, plastic shelf liners may not be easy to trim. However, they compensate for this with their spill-proof and waterproof properties, thereby keeping the shelf/cabinet surface clean, dry, and moisture-free.
How To Install A Shelf Liner?
Installing a shelf liner is simple and involves the following steps:
- The first step is to ensure that the shelf liner is of the right dimensions to fit your shelf/cabinet/drawer perfectly. You can use a measuring tape or ruler to mark the dimensions of the drawer/shelf on the liner and cut out the desired pieces.
- For better installation and fitting, you have to flatten the shelf liner(s) before use. To do so, you can either roll the liner backward or press it down gently with a ruler.
- Clean the shelf surface and interior before using the liner.
- Once the shelf is clean and dry, remove the backing, stick the liner on the shelf, and smooth it out by pressing uniformly, following the side to side pattern.
- Be a little careful with the adhesive shelf liners so that there are no creases or bubbles while sticking on the shelf.
- You can also use a hairdryer to flatten the liner edges properly. Hold the dryer at a distance of about six inches from the liner to avoid creasing.
11 Best Shelf Liners To Protect Your Cabinets In 2023
The Gorilla Grip shelf liner can keep your kitchen cabinets and drawers clean and organized. Made of premium-quality material, the non-adhesive liner goes a long way to prevent incidences of slipping and clumping inside the shelves/drawers. The versatile and time-tested pantry shelf liner roll measures 2″ x 20′ (pre-cut pieces). You can clean the shelf liner with a sponge/ damp cloth and mild detergent or soap solution.
- Unique open-grid design to prevent unwanted debris and dirt from piling up in the shelf/cabinet
- Pre-cut sizes that can be trimmed as needed for easy installation
- Strong grip to keep the delicate glassware and crockeries in place
- May not stay flat in the cabinet shelf
- May not be durable
"This shelf liner may not come with a strong grip, but it serves well as a liner, and its material gives my shelves, drawers, and cabinets a pleasant makeover. It gives them a nice pop of color, although it does shift a bit. However, it is easy to clean, making maintenance a breeze."
If you are looking for a drawer liner mat to keep your spice bottles organized, the product by YouCopia will not disappoint you. With this 10ft long roll, you can store and organize more than 30 spice bottles in your kitchen drawer. The liner is non-adhesive and can be easily removed without leaving behind any sticky marks or stains in the drawer.
- Made of premium-quality foam to keep the spice bottles firmly in their place
- Odor-free and anti-slip
- Simple and easy installation; no mounting needed
- May not fit tightly inside the drawer
- May not be as long-lasting as advertised
"My search for a functional shelf liner led me to this one. It is suitable for bottles of all sizes, and it's been serving well in my kitchen without damage. My once chaotic spice cabinet is now neatly organized, enhancing my meal prep efficiency."
The kitchen cabinet liner measures 12″ x 25′ and can be used on different surfaces, from kitchen cabinets to office drawers and countertops. The tried-and-tested product comes with a ribbed cushioning to provide extra protection to your glassware, crockery, mugs, and office essentials. You can keep the easy-to-clean shelf liners tidy with a sponge or a wet/damp cloth.
- Made of BPA-free, waterproof, and high-gloss plastic
- Anti-slip, stain-proof, and stench/odor-free
- Can be measured, cut, and installed easily
- Comes with an easy-glide surface
- May not lie flat on the surface
- Cannot be cleaned in a washing machine
"Having used this product in various parts of my home, from my new kitchen cabinets to wire racks in the fridge, I am satisfied with its material, utility, and non-slip performance. It also doesn't have foul odors, which is a plus."
|Drawer and Shelf Liner by Gorilla Grip||Spice Drawer Liner by YouCopia||Plast-O-Mat Ribbed Shelf Liner by Warp Brothers|
|Weight||1.01 pounds||4.8 ounces||4.64 pounds|
|Dimensions||20"L x 12"W||120"L x 2.5"W||25 x 12 x 0.04 inches|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
The non-stick shelf liner has a cushioned bottom with a plastic layer on the top. An ideal shelf liner for kitchen cabinets, shelves, drawers, and countertops, the product comes with a bonded grip to prevent slipping and sliding. It measures 12inx10ft and can be cleaned with a mild soap solution and water, but not abrasive cleaning agents or bleach.
- Available in a wide range of colors, size, and designs
- Hassle-free cutting and installation
- Durable with a non-paper layer
- May not be a durable liner
- Bonded layers may peel when unpacked
"This liner is functional—it is thick and durable, does not emit any strong odor, and lies flat. In addition, it is easy to cut and wipe clean. Overall, a decent purchase."
This multipurpose product can be used as a shelf liner, refrigerator mat, or table mat. The shelf liners are non-adhesive and come as a set of three 17.7” x 59” rolls. Non-toxic and easy to cut, the safety-tested liners can be wiped clean with a damp cloth or washed in water and mild soap solution.
- Made of BPA-free, stench-free, EVA food-grade plastic
- Durable and easy to install
- Anti-slip and waterproof
- Can be used to place vegetables and fruits
- Fast drying and reusable
- May cause bunching and sliding
- Size chart may be misleading
- Sides may curl up
"I found this liner valuable in diverse ways, from keeping my furniture clean to preventing messy spills. Cutting it to a perfect fit was not a chore, and it lay flat without curling up. However, it tends to slide at times, so keeping something heavy on it helps."
This product by DII comes with a fine non-adhesive cushioning that helps keep the delicate glassware protected and in place. One of the best shelf liners for kitchen and home, the product measures 12″ x 10′ and can be machine-washed. For durability, avoid using fabric softener or bleach when washing it.
- Made of viscose (60%) and polyester (40%)
- Can be cut to fit shelves of any size
- Reversible and retains its shape
- Can be used to line the compartments in the refrigerator as well
- May appear flimsy
- May slide on the shelf
"I love these liner rolls for their quality material and appealing artistic patterns. The non-adhesive feature ensures there's no residue in my cabinets. Although cutting the liner sheets was a bit challenging, they are still impressive as they are machine-washable."
The product by Con-Tact Brand comes in attractive colors and designs to give your kitchen cabinets and bathroom countertops a fresh and revamped look. Made of high-quality vinyl, the waterproof shelf liners measure 18″ x 20′. To install, clean the surface with water and soap solution. Once the surface is dry, peel the backing off the liner uniformly. Next, lay the self-adhesive shelf liner flat on the smooth surface, starting with the corners.
- Comes with hassle-free peel and stick installation
- Leaves behind no adhesive stains or residues when removed
- Backing paper comes with a unique measure-and-cut grid
- Durable even after multiple uses
- Can be cleaned with a damp/wet cloth
- Edges may not stick well to the surface
- May not be as thick as advertised
"I used this liner to redo my kitchen and bathroom drawers, and it is a treat. The adhesive is strong but allows for repositioning if you make a mistake. The grid lines are a lifesaver for anyone not great at cutting straight, like myself. Plus, the taupe pattern blends well with my drawers."
This anti-slip shelf liner by Tonw’s is non-adhesive and has a unique double-sided design that serves as a thick cushion to safeguard the items resting on it. One of the best shelf liners for the kitchen, you can use the versatile product for cabinets, sideboards, shoe rack mats, placemats, and car linings. Easy to cut and install, the liner measures 12″ X 20′.
- Strong grip to keep the items securely in place without any bunching or slipping
- Eco-friendly and can be recycled multiple times
- Can be cleaned with a mild soap/detergent and sponge or a damp cloth
- Made of premium-quality tough mesh (layered) and soft foam
- May not stay in place; could curl up
"Apart from offering a makeover to my kitchen shelves and cabinets, its non-adhesive feature allowed me the convenience of aligning and laying the liner without the hassle of it gathering, lumping, and sticking to itself. It's easy to maintain, and overall, a satisfying purchase."
This time-tested kitchen cabinet shelf liner with pattern is waterproof and safeguards the storage area from unwanted scratches, debris, and spills. It is extra-large, measuring 12″ x 59″ and can be machine-washed. The non-adhesive decorative shelf liner can also be cleaned/scrubbed with a mild soap solution and water, but not with bleach.
- Made of durable, recycled (50%), and absorbent fibers
- Free of BPA and phthalate
- Cut to fit any shelf (universal fit) for easy installation
- Anti-slip backing to negate the liner from slipping or bunching
- May not be of premium quality as advertised
"This shelf liner is soft and does not curl at the edges. Although cutting it was a bit challenging due to its thickness, it’s manageable. I appreciate its cushiony feel. Overall, the liner is functional and durable, adding a refined touch to my cabinets."
The product by Anoak can be used as a cabinet or refrigerator shelf liner to keep the surfaces well-maintained and free of grease, stains, and debris. The quality-tested non-adhesive shelf liner for closet shelves is dishwasher-safe and can be cleaned with just plain water too. Ribbed on both the sides, the shelf liners measure 12″ x 20′.
- Double texturing (both the sides) for secure fittings and grip and to prevent delicate glassware and crockeries from slipping
- Universal fit with a simple and hassle-free installation
- Made of premium -quality, food-grade EVA for a long-lasting and optimal functionality
- Does not curl up upon installation
- May not be as durable as expected
"Though I wish cutting it was a simpler task, I am happy that the liner is at least not flimsy and stays securely in place once fitted. It did take me a while to appreciate its clear design; the important point is that it is functional for lining cabinets and drawers and does its job well."
One of the best kitchen shelf liners, the product is reusable and can be cleaned with a mild detergent/soap solution and sponge or a wet cloth. The raindrop design of the cut-to-fit shelf liner is easy to install and measures 17.4″ x 15′.
- Made of BPA-free, food-grade EVA material
- Safe for direct contact with vegetables and fruits
- Comes in pre-cut sizes (standard) and can be trimmed as per requirements
- Lies flat in the shelves without curling up
- Non-adhesive, leaves no stains on the surface when removed
- Low-temperature resistant
- May not stick to the fridge shelves as effectively as advertised
"I found this liner roll better than the traditional sticky or adhesive plastic ones, as it doesn't damage the wood and is less tedious to dust. Its translucent surface with raised bumps is a bonus, making it easier to keep the contents from slipping and rolling inside the shelves when operating the drawers."
How To Choose The Right Shelf Liners?
Mentioned below are a few essential factors that can help you choose the best kitchen shelf liners with great features:
- Type of adhesion: The shelf liners can either be adhesive or non-adhesive. While adhesive liners fit firmly on the shelves, the installation and removal may be a little tricky at times. The non-adhesive liners, however, are easy to install and don’t leave behind any sticky stains when removed. Both varieties of liners are designed to stay in place and prevent sliding or slipping of objects placed on them.
The non-adhesive liners, however, are easy to install and don’t leave behind any sticky stains when removed. Both varieties of liners are designed to stay in place and prevent sliding or slipping of objects placed on them.
- Material: Shelf liners may be made of different materials such as plastic, vinyl, polyester, foam, and cloth. While the choice of the material is based on individual requirements and preferences, make sure the shelf liner is waterproof, durable, and stain- and odor-resistant. For plastic shelf liners, the material should be BPA-free and food-grade EVA.
- Cutting and installation: An ideal shelf liner is one that can be cut or trimmed easily with a knife or scissors for a universal fit. Additionally, the shelf liners should come with easy and hassle-free installation. Following the installation, the liner should lie flat and firm on the surface, without any curls or clumps.
Following the installation, the liner should lie flat and firm on the surface, without any curls or clumps.
- Ease of cleaning: Many shelf liners are reusable and can be hand-washed with a soapy solution and a damp/wet cloth. A few shelf liners can be machine-washed or are dishwasher friendly.
- Wired or hard shelf: If you have to line a wired shelf, it is best to go with the hard shelf liners that will fit well on the surface without sinking into the gauge. However, for the shelves that come without holes (hard shelves), you can use either a soft or a hard shelf liner.
Ilia Mundut, a home decor specialist, says, “When selecting a shelf liner to protect your cabinets, it’s important to choose a material that is durable, easy to clean, and fits the dimensions of your shelves. Additionally, consider opting for a non-slip liner to prevent your items from potentially getting damaged.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah specializes in home products and furniture. Using his knowledge, he has evaluated and compared various options for the best shelf liners. He has carefully considered user reviews and product features for shortlisting the best options available. The expert-recommended products on this list are washable, have anti-slip surfaces, durable, and are available in various designs and colors. Wedetso has also added the pros and cons of each product so you can pick a suitable one that complements your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How should I cut a shelf liner?
Most of the shelf liners can be cut or trimmed using either utility knives or a pair of scissors.
2. How should I keep a non-adhesive shelf liner in place?
In most cases, the non-adhesive shelf liners come with an anti-slip underside that keeps them in place. If the liner still keeps moving, you can use a mounting tape strip at the bottom to prevent it from moving or sliding.
3. How should I remove a shelf liner?
To remove a shelf liner (especially the adhesive ones), you need to weaken the adhesion by applying heat (usually a hairdryer does the job) on the corners. Now raise or pry up the liner from the corners using a putty knife. Follow this by pulling the shelf liner backward slowly and gently until you reach the stage where you can’t pull the liner any further (due to adhesion).
At this point, you need to weaken the adhesion again. To do so, you can spray warm water in that point/area of the liner. As the adhesion weakens, continue pulling the shelf liner backward until you have completely removed it.
4. With what should I line my shelves?
Covering your shelves with any of the shelf liners mentioned above is a good, convenient, and stylish solution. Liners with adhesive easily stick onto most surfaces and stay fixed for a long time.
5. Do I need shelf liners?
Shelf liners help keep the original surface of the shelves protected and intact. They can make your kitchen functional, as cleaning the mess off of them is easy. Liners also bestow a neat vibe to your home decor while allowing the luxury to change the look of your cabinets now and then in a cost-effective manner.
6. Do people still use shelf liners in kitchen cabinets?
Using shelf liners in kitchen cabinets increases the “shelf” life of modular furnishings, which are often expensive. Additionally, foam-based liners protect delicate cutlery from damage to a certain extent.
7. Can I use wrapping paper as a shelf liner?
It might be tempting, but sticking wrapping paper would require glue or tape—both of which can tarnish your shelves with unwanted residue. Plus, it can be a messy affair and difficult to remove. Opting for any of the abovementioned shelf liners could do the job proficiently and hassle-free.
The best shelf liners are a must-have if you intend to keep your kitchen cabinets and drawers clean. They are available in adhesive and non-adhesive forms with different installation methods to suit your needs. These liners come in different sizes, colors, and materials so that you can choose one that fits your kitchen’s aesthetics and requirements. It is important to measure your shelf’s dimensions before choosing the liner size to ensure it fits well. Also, pick a washable liner for easy maintenance and long-lasting use. Our top recommendations from this list include the Gorilla Grip Drawer and Shelf Liner with an open-grid design, the Warp Brothers Plast-O-Mat Ribbed Shelf Liner for being anti-slip, stain-proof, and odor-free, and the Smart Design Shelf Liner for its cushioned bottom and ease of installation.
Infographic: Why Should One Use Shelf Liners?
A cabinet holds all your belongings, making it essential to keep them spik and span. Shelf liners can help you do so. The liners are durable, come in different sizes, and some even have an adhesive backing for easy installation. Read through the infographic for notable reasons why installing shelf liners may be a good idea.
- Best Candle Fragrance Oils For A Pleasant Smell
- Best Toddler Step Stools To Give Them A Safe Platform
- Best Kitchen Pantry Cabinets
- Best Cuticle Removers