Poor posture, alignment, or uncomfortable shoes can cause hip pain. This pain may restrict your natural movement, affecting your quality of life. Using the right walking shoes for hip pain may help you overcome this problem. Featuring motion control, arch support, and additional cushioning, these shoes can help alleviate feet, hip, or joint pain. Such shoes are designed to support the natural alignment from the ground up and use technology to provide additional stability and comfort. However, it is best to consult an orthopedic in case of chronic pain or if the situation affects your daily activities.
It can be challenging to live with the pain that hinders your lifestyle, and so comfortable footgear may help ease your pain. To help you make the best choice, I have created an expert-approved list of the best shoes for hip pain in consultation with Dr. Dave Candy, a certified specialist in orthopedic physical therapy.
10 Best Shoes For Hip Pain
1. Best Cushioned: Brooks Women’s Adrenaline GTS 21
Brooks’ women’s flexible shoes feature a modern look, provide all-day comfort, and an excellent running experience. The knitted mesh upper and 3D-fit print gives it a fashionable look suitable for casual wear or workouts. These quality-tested women’s adrenaline shoes use the BioMoGo DNA cushioning to help reduce impact and hip and joint pain and adapt to your style of stride. Check out the detailed review of these comfortable shoes in this video.
- Cushioned sole
- APMA seal of acceptance
- PDAC A5500-certified
- Holistic support system
- May not be durable at the toes
2. Best Lightweight: Skechers Women’s Go Walk Joy Walking Shoe
Featuring innovative 5Gen midsole design and Goga max insoles, these cushioned shoes may be one of the best walking shoes for hip pain by Skechers. These slip-on shoes have a cushioned platform base for a comfortable walking experience. Its advanced mesh upper makes it breathable and keeps you dry after long walks. Watch this review video for more information about these cushioned shoes.
- High rebound insole
- Easy to wear
- Shoe size may run large
3. Best Shock-Absorbing: Easy Spirit Women’s Tourguide Mule
Made from 100% leather and textile material, these slip-on style shoes from Easy Spirit are equipped with a removable, well-cushioned shock-absorbing technology-equipped sock liner. It features good arch support that helps minimize consistent hip pain while walking, and a cushioned collar with dual side goring supports your ankle and reduces chafing.
- Breathable fabric
- Round-toe design
- Anti-skid rubber sole
- Leather may not be durable
Brooks Women's Adrenaline GTS 21
Skechers Women's Go Walk Joy Walking Shoe
Easy Spirit Women's Tourguide Mule
|Dimensions||10 x 15 x 6 inches.||10.9 x 7.4 x 4.2 inches||10.9 x 7.4 x 4.2 inches|
|Weight||-||7 Ounces||3 Pounds.|
4. Best Arch- And Heel-Support Insole: Ryka Women’s Devotion Plus 2 Walking Shoe
Featuring a breathable upper and cushioned soles, these supportive shoes by Ryka provide you with adequate support during your fitness regime. The lightweight shoes also feature an anatomically designed insole that provides extra arch and heel support, making it one of the best sneakers for hip pain. These comfortable shoes are designed with a four-way gradient print for a stylish look. Go through this video review showcasing a tester’s experience for a detailed understanding of these stability shoes.
- Durable laces
- Extra-support insole
- Rubber sole prevents skidding
- Strong stability
- Wide width
- Shoe size may not be accurate
5. Best Slip-Resistant Outsole: Dansko Women’s XP 2.0 Clogs
Featuring an ergonomically designed cushioned platform that raises your feet by 0.75 inches, these shoes are among the best shoes to help with hip pain. For adequate arch support, the shoe is designed with the Dansko natural arch technology that helps minimize hip pain while walking. These trusted lightweight shoes offer a sleek look and a full leather upper for durability.
- Extra pads for comfort
- Slip-resistant outsole
- Spacious at the front
- Lightweight midsoles
- Removable footbed
- May have a small instep
Dansko shoe review
6. Best Orthotic Insole: Vionic Women’s Walker Leisure Shoes
Vionic’s walking shoes for hip pain are designed with an orthotic insole to provide maximum comfort and support. Its construction involves leather and suede upper, a removable EVA cushioned footbed and a durable and non-slip rubber sole. The flexible shoes also have a built-in elevation of 0.5 inches to reduce pressure on the hip, helping you walk easily.
- Durable outsole
- Suitable for daily wear
- APMA seal of acceptance
- May not be suitable for rigorous athletic activities
7. Best Stability: Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
Merrell’s hiking boots are suitable for people with hip pain and are designed to support your long backpacking treks. Made from 100% suede leather, these stability shoes offer durability and long-term use. It features air cushions in the heels to absorb shock and prevent foot pain and plantar fasciitis during walking or hiking. These could quickly become your favorite shoes as their quality craftsmanship with breathable mesh upper can keep you comfortable even when worn for an extended period.
- Removable insole
- Protective toe cap
- Has rubber sole
- Boots may be narrow
8. Best With Pain-Relief Technology: Orthofeet Women’s Mary Jane Shoes Sanibel
Designed with innovative pain-relief technology, the Orthofeet shoes help alleviate hip and foot pain. Its construction involves anatomical arch support and a contoured heeled seat to control overpronation and reduce muscle fatigue. The trusted athletic shoes also feature a multi-layered cushioned foam design that is breathable to keep your feet dry during high and low-impact activities.
- Wide toe box
- Ergonomically designed sole
- Arch support
- Anti-odor fabric
- Adjustable strap
- Velcro may not be long-lasting
9. Best With Arch Booster: Orthofeet Women’s Sneakers
The comfortable women’s casual shoes by Orthofeet are designed to reduce stress on joints and hips therapeutically. These tried-and-tested sneakers include arch-boosting inserts to enhance arch support and relieve chronic hip pain. They feature a wide toe box for a non-binding fit in the front. The stretchable upper of these flexible shoes aids comfortable natural movement and enhances support while walking.
- Lightweight sole
- Anatomical arch support
- Extra cushioning
- Seam-free interior
- May not be suitable for narrow feet
10. Best Insoles: Hoka One One Mach 4 Women Shoes
The pair of running shoes by Hoka are made of premium quality materials, making them suitable for daily use. Trusted for their quality, they are comfortable and long-lasting, and help relieve pain in the feet and hip caused by multiple reasons including arthritis. Its lace-up design makes it convenient to put on and off, allowing you to tighten and loosen the fit as required. Moreover, these best-selling athletic shoes are made of 100% synthetic fabric for easy maintenance.
- Comes in various colors
- Easy airflow with mesh technology
- Great for running
- May not suit people with flat foot
- Some may not find the cushioning adequate
How To Choose The Right Shoes For Hip Pain?
Here are a few suggestions you can follow when choosing the right shoes for hip pain.
1. Mesh upper: Choose shoes with a mesh upper fabric for sufficient ventilation and breathability. This helps keep your feet dry and odor-free. Ensure the shoes are stretchable, soft, and breathable.
2. Proper amount of pronation control: In order to prevent hip pain, your shoes should offer the appropriate amount of pronation control. Dr. Dave Candy, a physical therapist and certified specialist in orthopedic physical therapy, says, “Running shoes are of three main types: motion-control, stability, and neutral. You may visit a specialty shoe store to get the right type of shoes. Additionally, a physical therapist can help you determine what type of shoes will be best for you.”
3. Outsole: Rubber soles can provide traction and durability without adding excess weight or stiffness.
4. Midsole: Shoes that use memory foam insoles can provide well-cushioned support. Choose a material that uses the right midsole thickness, not too soft or firm.
5. Rocker bottom: Shoes with rocker bottom are rounded at the sole. It can give you the necessary support from touchdown to toe-off throughout your ride.
5. Reviews: It is advisable to check the customer reviews of the chosen brand to narrow down your search.
Why Trust MomJunction?
After evaluating numerous consumer reviews and scouring hundreds of websites, we have compiled this list of the best shoes for hip pain. Keeping your convenience, quality parameters, and safety concerns in mind, we included details about each product’s features and distinctive aspects. With the help of the pros and cons section and a buying guide provided here, you can choose the right pair of shoes for optimal comfort from these best-selling options.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I ease hip pain when walking?
You may wear proper footwear with soft soles, as they can help absorb shock and offer extra stability. You may also use walking sticks to reduce the pain and improve your balance. If you still experience pain, take ample rest and do not add a lot of strain on your hips. Moreover, if you have chronic hip pain visit a healthcare professional to choose the right shoe.
2. How can I tell the difference between hip arthritis and hip bursitis?
Determining where the pain is coming from can help you tell the difference. Pain that emerges from the hip joint and thigh, including the deeper parts of the groin, is usually arthritis-related hip pain. You may experience pain when moving, and the pain may radiate down to your thighs, just above the knees.
On the other hand, if the pain is felt at the outer part of the upper thigh and is tender to the touch when pressed, it could be hip bursitis (1).
Among multiple factors contributing to hip pain, one common factor is wearing uncomfortable shoes that cause alignment issues. Choosing the right pair of flexible shoes crafted to keep hip pain at bay can help. Such shoes are specially designed with features such as arch support, shock-absorbing technology, and motion control to offer support, comfort, and flexibility. Ensure you check every feature- from its outsole, midsole, and insole to the material it is made of so that it suits your taste and preferences while helping with hip pain. Also, check relevant quality certifications and safety standards for your comfort. Our favorites include the Easy Spirit Women’s Tourguide Mule with a removable shock-absorbing sock liner and the Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot featuring a meshed upper for enhanced ventilation.
Infographic: Tips For Selecting Right Pair Of Shoes For Relieving Hip Pain
Hip pain can be caused due to various factors, including poor sitting and sleeping posture and hip injury. The right footwear can help prevent, alleviate, or manage hip pain. Explore the following tips in this infographic to ensure you choose the right pair of shoes that can help with your hip pain.
- How to Tell if Your Hip Pain Is from Arthritis or Bursitis
- Walking for Exercise