The growth of mold and mildew on the shower surface looks unpleasant and, over a period of time, can also pose the risk of allergies and infections to family members, especially children. The best shower cleaners for mold and mildew use an effective formula to remove mold infestation and keep the shower clean and healthy. However, choosing one requires certain essential considerations. Therefore, I have turned to Paula Tarling, a professional domestic cleaner and influencer, for her recommendations. Check out this list of some quality formulations and go through their pros and cons to choose the best option for your mold-cleaning requirements.
We bring you a list of these formulations and their pros and cons to help you choose the best option for your mold-cleaning requirements.
Types Of Mold And Mildew
Various mold and mildew can grow in the shower, corroding the bathroom surface and spoiling its appearance. The following are the common types of mold and mildew you must know before choosing the best shower mold cleaner.
- Pathogenic: These molds may cause infections to residents, especially children with weakened immune systems. A cleaner can effectively remove small infestations, while large infestations require professional cleaning agents.
- Allergenic: These molds may cause skin and open wound allergies due to long-term exposure. They are easy to remove with household disinfectants.
- Aspergillus: Exposure to aspergillus molds may cause extreme allergic reactions. They are usually found in humid places, such as showers.
- Toxic: Toxic molds generally produce toxic chemicals, which may cause severe effects on the human body, requiring medical attention.
20 Best Shower Cleaners For Mold And Mildew
1. Best Overall: Wet & Forget Shower Cleaner
Wet & Forget’s mold and mildew cleaners come in three packs. It is a ready-to-use formula that requires almost no manual cleaning of the shower surfaces. You can use it to clean mold infestation on non-porous and hard surfaces with one swipe. Spray it on the required surface and leave it for 12 hours for easy cleaning. Keep away from direct contact with the skin and eyes for safe use. Its soft vanilla fragrance keeps the shower smelling fresh. Learn more about this mildew-busting cleaner in this review video.
- Easy to use in spray and rinse formulation
Optimal cleaning and prevention of scum and grime build-up
Does not require scrubbing or wiping
Free of bleach, ammonia, or dye
No irritating fumes when used
Lasts for up to 12 weeks
Can work on hard water stains
- May require multiple applications depending on the bathroom surface
- May not work on limescale
2. Best For Shower Cleaner: RMR-86 Instnt Mold And Mildew Stain Remover Spray
If you are looking for the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew with long-lasting use, RMR spray is ideal. This mold and mildew remover with spray is easy to use and can clean the shower surface on the first go. It can quickly remove mold and its stains. The strong and gentle cleaning product can clean various surfaces. Check out this product testing video to learn more about the mold-busting cleaner.
- Scrub-free formulation
- Easy removal of stubborn mold stains
- Removal of a damp, musty smell
- Useful for the bathroom and kitchen
- Fast cleaning
- Removes deeply embedded stain
- Suitable for concrete, vinyl siding, and wood surfaces
- Slightly ineffective for tough, old mold stains
"I used this cleaner for my shower and tub, aiming to eliminate grout mold. The result was clean, shiny showers I now maintain with regular sprays. It even helped with a stubborn mildew issue on my tent. Though it has a robust bleach smell, airing the bathroom made it bearable. All in all, the versatile product has been a good find."
3. Best Sanitizing: Lysol Power Bathroom Foamer
Enjoy a mold- and mildew-free bathroom with Lysol’s Power Bathroom Foamer, a powerful foaming solution that eliminates dirt, grime, limescale, mineral deposits, and even the most stubborn soap scum. This fast and effective foam spray cleanser disinfects your bathroom and leaves it fresh and shiny. Moreover, the multipurpose formula can be used on tiles, vinyl shower curtains, bathtubs, sinks, and bathroom doors.
- Sanitizes the bathroom in less than a minute
- Requires no scrubbing
- Kills bacteria
- Has a fresh scent
- Spray may have a narrow stream offering limited coverage
Wet & Forget Shower Cleaner
RMR-86 Instant Mold And Mildew Stain Remover Spray
Best For Shower Cleaner
Lysol Power Bathroom Foamer
|16.8 x 9.6 x 11.3 inches
|3.5 x 3.5 x 10 inches
4. Best Deep-Penetrating: Scrubbing Bubbles Mega Shower Foamer
Get your hands on this pack of two Scrubbing Bubbles Mega Shower Foamer for a cleaner and brighter bathroom. This cleaning product has a strong and penetrating foaming liquid formula that removes dirt, tough stains, limescale, grime, mold, and soap scum. The spray provides a sparkling shine to your bathroom surface and keeps it clean for up to four days.
- Kills germs
- Wide nozzle spray opening for better coverage
- Suitable for cleaning bathtub, tiles, and shower
- Works in just a few minutes
- May have a strong smell
5. Best Versatile: Stardrops The Pink Stuff Miracle Bathroom Foam Cleaner
Formulated with 100% natural ingredients, this foam-based bathroom cleaner clings to the surface, removes stubborn grease, dirt, mold, and grime, and prevents limescale formation. It is a versatile non-drip cleaning solution that can be used for general bathroom and floor cleaning as well as laundry care. The mild-abrasive cleaner also offers a streak-free shine to surfaces.
- No harsh chemicals
- Not tested on animals
- Fresh floral fragrance
- Spray-enabled for easy use
- Ideal for all kinds of hard surface
- Might require more scrubbing than expected
6. Best Biodegradable: Method Daily Shower Spray
Method Daily Shower Spray is a plant-based and biodegradable formula that dissolves well and prevents dirt, buildups, molds, grime, and soap scum. Its blend of crisp Eucalyptus mint scent with slight notes of citron, bergamot, and lime leaf leaves your bathroom irresistibly fresh after every wash. The cleaning product is suitable for showers, tiles, glass, tubs, glass, and fixtures.
- Not tested on animals
- Paraben- and phthalate-free
- Free of bleach
- Doesn’t require scrubbing
- Comes in a pack of four
- Bottle’s sprayer may be slightly flimsy
7. Best For Stain Remover: Star Brite Mold Stain & Mildew Stain Remover
Star Brite’s shower anti-mold cleaner is a concentrated and lightweight liquid formula that quickly removes stains. Its highly alkaline, triple-action formula effectively removes mold stains without the need for extensive manual cleaning. The buffered bleach technology can easily remove grime and grease, giving you a clean shower and bathroom area. Watch this review video about a tester’s experience using this mildew-fighting cleaner.
- Effectively cleans outdoor upholstery and acrylic fabric
- Ideal for wood, concrete, fiberglass, drywall, and roof surfaces
- Professional-strength formulation
- Simple spray cleaning
- Does not harm threads or stitching
- Requires a second application with mild scrubbing for old stains
8. Best All-in-one Shower Cleaner: EcoClean Solutions Mold, Mildew & Algae Remover
If you are looking for an all-in-one cleaning solution for your home, try EcoClean mold, mildew, and algae remover. It comes in a one-gallon bottle. This mold-fighting cleaner solution can effectively remove stains from shower floors, bathroom tiles, and kitchen sinks. It also has a 60-day money-back guarantee, making it one of the best shower cleaners to prevent mold and mildew.
- Does not require tedious scrubbing
- Cleans nasty algae stains
- Cleans most surfaces
- Cleans stain within a few minutes of application
- High concentration of bleach may affect some surfaces
9. Best Non-Corrosive: Goo Gone Grout & Tile Cleaner
If you often struggle with tough stains, buildups, molds, and mildew, this deep cleaning formulation of the Goo Gone Grout & Tile Cleaner is what you need. The non-corrosive and easy-to-use chemical cleaner works on all types of surfaces, including ceramic tiles, fiberglass, natural stone, and porcelain.
- Fume-free formula
- Refreshing citrus scent
- Bleach-free formula
- Effect against hard water stains
- May need repeated rinsing
- Scent might be a bit intense
10. Best For Concrete Surfaces: Tilex Mold And Mildew Remover Spray
The Tilex shower mold and mildew remover comes in a pack of two with a spray nozzle for each bottle to easily clean mold-infested surfaces. The mildew-killing cleaner provides a powerful cleaning effect without the need for manual scrubbing. All you need to do is spray the liquid for the ultimate cleaning experience.
- Removes mold and mildew stain immediately
- Useful for concrete surfaces
- Concentrated cleaning solution for high effectiveness
- Spray-enabled easy use
- Useful with a grout brush
- May bleach some surfaces
11. Best For All Surfaces: StoneTech Mold & Mildew Stain Remover
StoneTech’s ready-to-use professional mold cleaner is formulated to remove mold growth and stains on stone surfaces. The two 24-ounce bottles of the spray cleaner are among the best mold removers for showers because they are suitable for all kinds of surfaces. The grout cleaner’s unique formula ensures no degradation of grout or stone.
- Suitable for use in both home interiors and exteriors
- Ideal for cleaning ceramic tiles, glass, and porcelain tiles
- Cleans marble, granite, and limestone surfaces
- Leaves the shower pleasant-smelling
- Not suitable for use on cultured marble
- Might require scrubbing after rinsing off spray
12. Best Renewable Energy:Ecos Bathroom Cleaner
The Ecos Bathroom Cleaner spray eliminates soap scum, dirt, buildup, hard water spots, and molds, giving your bathroom a sparkling shine. Its plant-powered formula with a reviving fragrance of tea tree is a safe choice for you and your family. This cleaning solution requires no scrubbing or rinsing with a bristle brush–spray it on your bathroom surface after a shower, and the formula does its job.
- Not tested on animals
- Beach-free formula
- Free of nasties
- Offers all-purpose cleaning
- Nozzle spray might loosen over time
13. Best Scrub Free:Zep Shower Tub and Tile Cleaner
Zep brings you this pro acidic solution to offer advanced cleaning of your bathroom and get rid of every single stain and dirt caused by mold and mildew. The Professional-grade formula breaks down rust, grime, and soap scum and keeps the bathroom clean for days.
- Comes in a pack of two
- Scrub-free easy cleaning
- Multi-purpose use
- Suitable for all kinds of surface
- May have a strong odor
14. Best Easy To Use:CLR Brilliant Bath Foaming Action Cleaner
The CLR Brilliant Bath Foaming Action Cleaner comes in a pack of two and is formulated to remove all kinds of buildup, molds, dirt, and hard water stains. You can also use this versatile cleaning solution to clean the sink, toilet bowls, faucets, glass shower doors, or faucets and leave your bathroom shining brighter.
- Bleach-free formula
- Phosphate- and ammonia-free
- Multi-surface use including glass and stainless steel
- Works in just a few minutes
- EPA Safer Choice certified
- May have a strong scent
15. Best Superior Formula:Granite Gold Shower Cleaner Spray
Specially formulated for natural stone surfaces, the Granite Gold shower cleaner effortlessly dissolves soap scum, hard water deposits, mold, and mildew, leaving your shower surfaces sparkling. The cleaning product is safe for shower fixtures and doesn’t cause any discoloration. It is also safe to use on various surfaces such as granite, marble, limestone, travertine, glass, and ceramic tiles.
- Ammonia- and phosphate-free
- Safe for food-prep surfaces
- Streak-free formula
- Sprayer mechanism may be a bit flimsy
- Smell may be a bit strong for some
16. Best Bleach-Free: Followin Mold And Mildew Bathroom Cleaner Gel
This household stain cleaner for shower tiles effectively maintains grout, sinks, and sealants. The gel-based formula of this tile cleaner spreads smoothly on the entire surface and creates a sticky layer for easy removal of mold stains. It is also one of the best shower mold and mildew cleaners in a gel formula for concentrated cleaning.
- Deep cleaning with a concentrated formulation
- Non-volatile active ingredients
- Bleach-free, non-acidic cleaning eliminates corrosion
- Safe, biodegradable, and eco-friendly
- Free of harsh chemicals
- Low-odor cleaning
- Wide range of use for different surfaces
- Not suitable for colored grout
17. Best Eco-Friendly: Naturally It’s Clean Mildew Stain Cleaner
This mildew stain cleaner can easily remove thick soap scum without additional scrubbing. It is a suitable bleach shower cleaner, effective for mold cleaning. Use it to easily remove hard water deposits from tubs, hard surfaces, tiles, walls, and glass shower doors. The mold-killing cleaner’s pure and fresh enzymes can easily break down the grime into basic elements and keep the surface clean for a long time.
- Enzymes effectively remove bad odor
- Leaves the shower smelling fresh
- Non-caustic, non-toxic, and eco-friendly formulation
- Leaves no harsh vapor or fumes
- Free of harsh ingredients
- Safe for regular use
- Does not clean stained caulk
18. Best For Hard Stains: Mold Boss Professional Mold And Mildew Remover, Cleaner
Mold Boss mildew remover is a professional-quality solution with effective cleaning power, ideal for various surfaces, such as tile, vinyl, wood, and grout. Its scum and hard water stain removal effect also makes it one of the best shower cleaners for mold and mildew. The formula of this anti-mildew cleaner can remove hard stains caused by years of mold and mildew infestation.
- Effective in mold stain, scum, and calcium removal
- Suits cleaning of doors, shower stalls, and sinks
- Ensures heavy-duty cleaning
- Combines stain removal with powerful cleaning to whiten surfaces
- Safe to use
- Trigger spray not included
- Strong bleach smell
19. Best Multi-Purpose: ZEP Mold Stain And Mildew Stain Remover
ZEP’s formula can dissolve mold and mildew immediately after contact with mold-infested surfaces. The effective mold remover has a no-scrub formula that requires you to spray the liquid onto the surface and rinse it after a while for efficient cleaning. The mold spray bottle weighs 32 ounces and is reasonably priced.
- Removes and cleans surfaces of tough mildew
- Multi-purpose use for tiles, fiberglass, and porcelain
- Suitable for cleaning toilet bowls, sinks, and grout
- Professional, commercial-strength, ready-to-use formulation
- Penetrates mildew for surface whitening
- Quick cleaning effects within 15 to 20 minutes
- Can corrode surface if left for long
20. Best For Mold Stains: Mold Armor FG502 Mold And Mildew Killer + Quick Stain Remover
Mold Armor’s shower anti-mold agent is the top product to remove mold and mildew stains, and the well-designed trigger sprayer is easy to use. This mildew disinfectant and cleaner takes little time to clean various surfaces, including the shower surface, hard and non-porous surfaces, and effectively removes mold stains.
- Kills germs, including mold, bacteria, and viruses
- Cleans off grime and soap scum easily
- Suitable for use in toilet, bathtubs, shower doors, and sinks
- Easy whitening with a bleach-based formulation
- Cleans the surface quickly after spray
- Does not require scrubbing
- Disinfects with a single application
- May discolor painted surfaces
How To Choose The Right Mold And Mildew Shower Cleaner?
Consider the following factors before choosing the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew.
- Formula composition and type: Most shower mold cleaners are bleach-based, which can be pungent after use. Choose a mildew inhibitor spray that can leave a pleasant smell after use. You can choose powder, liquid, or gel-based formulas.
- Type of application: Choose a cleaner that you can directly pour from the bottle or a product that comes with a trigger spray for easy use. It is best to choose the latter.
- Cleaning effectiveness: Although some shower mold cleaners can effectively eliminate mold growth, it is essential to choose a product that helps remove stubborn stains and mineral deposits on the surface.
- Suitability for surfaces: Not all mold inhibitor sprays can be used on vinyl flooring, wood, or any other delicate surfaces. Make sure to select a cleaning formula that is suitable for most surfaces.
- Safety: Choose a cleaning formula that is safe to use. It should usually be made of non-acidic compounds. You should also wear protective gear and ensure proper ventilation when using cleansers, as some may release fumes that can alter the indoor air quality.
Paula Tarling, an experienced domestic cleaner and influencer, says, “I often see mold and mildew in my job, and it’s not great for your health. Many people turn to bleach, but the water in bleach feeds mold. Always use a specific mold and mildew cleaner. For stubborn stains, soak cotton wool with the product and leave to sit overnight. Remember that these products can be very intense, so wear gloves and always use them near an open window.”
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why do mold and mildew grow in showers?
Extreme humidity and dampness in enclosed spaces can cause mold and mildew growth. Dirty surfaces allow the existing spores in the air to breed mold.
2. How can I keep my shower clean without chemicals and scrubbing?
The best way to keep the shower clean without scrubbing or using chemical cleaner is to keep it dry when not used because mold and mildew can grow on damp and humid surfaces. You can also use cleaners based on natural ingredients, arrange bathroom cleaning tools, upgrade the shower curtains, or wipe the shower every day to keep it clean.
Why Trust MomJunction?
To help you rid the growth of mold and mildew in the shower, we have compiled a list of the best shower cleaners in the market. We have also compared the top-rated products after going through multiple user reviews and listed their pros and drawbacks so that you can pick a shower cleaner suitable for your bathroom. Apart from this, we have included a buying guide that lists the factors you must consider before choosing the right shower cleaner.
Shower cleaners should be an integral part of your bathroom cleaning supply. The best shower cleaners keep your shower free of mold and mildew and help you avoid the risk of infections and allergies. To maintain such desired cleanliness, we recommend the Wet & Forget Shower Cleaner for its mold-free composition, the RMR-86 Instant Mold And Mildew Stain Remover Spray for its stain-removing capability without the need for extensive scrubbing, and the Lysol Power Bathroom Foamer for its bacteria-killing properties. Besides being effective against mold, ensure that the shower cleaner you invest in is formulated to be safe and not leave behind a pungent smell. Moreover, choosing a non-acidic and easy-to-use disinfectant and cleaner can help you have a clean and refreshing shower experience.
- Best Bathtub Cleaners
- Best Shower Liners
- Best Shower Caddies For Bathrooms
- Best Vinyl Siding Cleaners