The growth of mold and mildew on the shower surface is unpleasant and brings the risk of allergies and infections to family members, especially children. Shower mold cleaners use an effective formula to remove mold infestation and keep the shower clean and healthy. However, choosing the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew requires certain essential considerations.
We bring you a list of these formulations and their pros and cons to help you choose the best option for your mold-cleaning requirements.
Types Of Mold And Mildew
Various mold and mildew can grow in the shower, corroding the bathroom surface and spoiling its appearance. The following are the common types of mold and mildew you must know before choosing the best shower mold cleaner.
- Pathogenic: These molds may cause infections to residents, especially children with weakened immune systems. A cleaner can effectively remove small infestations, while large infestations require professional cleaning agents.
- Allergenic: These molds may cause skin and open wound allergies due to long-term exposure. They are easy to remove with household disinfectants.
- Aspergillus: Exposure to aspergillus molds may cause extreme allergic reactions. They are usually found in humid places, such as showers.
- Toxic: Toxic molds generally produce toxic chemicals, which may cause severe effects on the human body, requiring medical attention.
11 Best Shower Cleaners For Mold And Mildew
Wet & Forget’s mold and mildew cleaners come in three packs. It is a ready-to-use formula that requires almost no manual cleaning of the shower surfaces. You can use it to clean mold infestation on non-porous and hard surfaces with one swipe. Spray it on the required surface and leave it for 12 hours for easy cleaning. Keep away from direct contact with the skin and eyes for safe use. Its soft vanilla fragrance keeps the shower smelling fresh.
- Easy to use in spray and rinse formulation
- Optimal cleaning and prevention of scum and grime build-up
- Does not require scrubbing or wiping
- Free of bleach, ammonia, or dye
- No irritating fumes when used
- Lasts for up to 12 weeks
- Can work on hard water stains
- May require multiple applications depending on the bathroom surface
- May not work on limescale
If you are looking for the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew with long-lasting use, RMR spray is ideal. This mold and mildew remover with spray is easy to use and can clean the shower surface on the first go. It can quickly remove mold and its stains. The strong and gentle cleaning formula can clean various surfaces.
- Scrub-free formulation
- Easy removal of stubborn mold stains
- Removal of a damp, musty smell
- Useful for the bathroom and kitchen
- Fast cleaning
- Removes deeply embedded stain
- Suitable for concrete, vinyl siding, and wood surfaces
- Slightly ineffective for tough, old mold stains
Star Brite’s shower anti-mold cleaner is a concentrated and lightweight liquid formula that quickly removes stains. Its highly alkaline, triple-action formula effectively removes mold stains without the need for extensive manual cleaning. The buffered bleach technology can easily remove grime and grease.
- Effectively cleans outdoor upholstery and acrylic fabric
- Ideal for wood, concrete, fiberglass, drywall, and roof surfaces
- Professional-strength formulation
- Simple spray cleaning
- Does not harm threads or stitching
- Requires a second application with mild scrubbing for old stains
If you are looking for an all-in-one cleaning solution for your home, try EcoClean mold, mildew, and algae remover. It comes in a one-gallon bottle. This solution can effectively remove stains from shower floors, bathroom tiles, and kitchen sinks. It also has a 60-day money-back guarantee, making it one of the best shower cleaners to prevent mold and mildew.
- Does not require tedious scrubbing
- Cleans nasty algae stains
- Cleans most surfaces
- Cleans stain within a few minutes of application
- High concentration of bleach may affect some surfaces
The Tilex shower mold and mildew remover comes in a pack of two with a spray nozzle for each bottle to easily clean mold-infested surfaces. Its economical size provides a powerful cleaning effect without manual scrubbing. All you need to do is spray the liquid for the ultimate cleaning experience.
- Removes mold and mildew stain immediately
- Useful for concrete surfaces
- Concentrated cleaning solution for high effectiveness
- Spray-enabled easy use
- Useful with a grout brush
- May bleach some surfaces
StoneTech’s ready-to-use professional mold cleaner is formulated to remove mold growth and stains on stone surfaces. The two 24-ounce bottles of the spray cleaner are among the best mold removers for showers because they are suitable for all kinds of surfaces. Its unique formula ensures no degradation of grout or stone.
- Suitable for use in both home interiors and exteriors
- Ideal for cleaning ceramic, glass, and porcelain tiles
- Cleans marble, granite, and limestone surfaces
- Leaves the shower pleasant-smelling
- Not suitable for use on cultured marble
- Might require scrubbing after rinsing off spray
This household stain cleaner for shower tiles effectively maintains grout, sinks, and sealants. Its gel-based formula spreads smoothly on the entire surface and adds sticky coverage for easy removal of mold stains. It is also one of the best shower mold and mildew cleaners in a gel formula for concentrated cleaning.
- Deep cleaning with a concentrated formulation
- Non-volatile active ingredients
- Bleach-free, non-acidic cleaning eliminates corrosion
- Safe, biodegradable, and eco-friendly
- Low-odor cleaning
- Wide range of use for different surfaces
- Not suitable for colored grout
This mildew stain cleaner can easily remove thick soap scum without additional scrubbing. It is a suitable bleach shower cleaner, effective for mold cleaning. Use it to easily remove hard water deposits from tubs, hard surfaces, tiles, walls, and doors. Its pure and fresh enzymes can easily break down the grime into basic elements and keep the surface clean for a long time.
- Enzymes effectively remove bad odor
- Leaves the shower smelling fresh
- Non-caustic, non-toxic, and eco-friendly formulation
- Leaves no harsh vapor or fumes
- Safe for regular use
- Does not clean stained caulk
Mold Boss mildew remover is a professional-quality solution for various surfaces, such as tile, vinyl, wood, and grout. Its scum and hard water stain removal effect also makes it one of the best shower cleaners for mold and mildew. Its precise formula can remove hard stains caused by years of mold infestation.
- Effective in mold stain, scum, and calcium removal
- Suits cleaning of doors, shower stalls, and sinks
- Ensures heavy-duty cleaning
- Combines stain removal with powerful cleaning to whiten surfaces
- Safe to use
- Trigger spray not included
- Strong bleach smell
ZEP’s formula can dissolve mold and mildew immediately after contact with mold-infested surfaces. Its no-scrub formula requires you to spray the liquid onto the surface and rinse it after a while for effective cleaning. It weighs 32 ounces and is reasonably priced.
- Removes and cleans surfaces of tough mildew
- Multi-purpose use for tiles, fiberglass, and porcelain
- Suitable for cleaning toilet bowls, sinks, and grout
- Professional, commercial-strength, ready-to-use formulation
- Penetrates mildew for surface whitening
- Quick cleaning effects within 15 to 20 minutes
- Can corrode surface if left for long
Mold Armor’s shower anti-mold agent is the top product to remove mold and mildew stains, and the well-designed trigger sprayer is easy to use. It takes little time to clean various surfaces, including the shower surface, hard and non-porous surfaces, and effectively remove mold stains.
- Kills germs, including mold, bacteria, and viruses
- Cleans off grime and soap scum easily
- Suitable for use in toilet, bathtubs, shower doors, and sinks
- Easy whitening with a bleach-based formulation
- Cleans the surface quickly after spray
- Does not require scrubbing
- Disinfects with a single application
- May discolor painted surfaces
How To Choose The Right Mold And Mildew Shower Cleaner?
Consider the following factors before choosing the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew.
- Formula composition and type: Most shower mold cleaners are bleach-based, which can be pungent after use. Choose a product that can leave a pleasant smell after use. You can choose powder, liquid, or gel-based formulas.
- Type of application: Choose a cleaner that you can directly pour from the bottle or a product that comes with a trigger spray for easy use. It is best to choose the latter.
- Cleaning effectiveness: Although some shower mold cleaners can effectively eliminate mold growth, it is essential to choose a product that helps remove stubborn stains and mineral traces on the surface.
- Suitability for surfaces: Not all cleaners can be used on vinyl flooring, wood, or any other delicate surfaces. Make sure to select a cleaning formula that is suitable for most surfaces.
- Safety of use: Choose a cleaning formula that is safe to use, usually made of non-acidic compounds.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why do mold and mildew grow in showers?
Extreme humidity and dampness in enclosed spaces can cause mold and mildew growth. Dirty surfaces allow the existing spores in the air to breed mold.
2. How can I keep my shower clean without chemicals and scrubbing?
The best way to keep the shower clean without scrubbing or using chemicals is to keep it dry when not used because mold and mildew can grow on damp and humid surfaces. You can also use cleaners based on natural ingredients, arrange bathroom cleaning tools, upgrade the shower curtains, or wipe the shower every day to keep it clean.
A clean shower room not only keeps the bathroom beautiful and exudes a lovely smell but also helps keep you and your family healthy. Mold and mildew can grow in the shower, triggering asthma and other allergies. A mold and mildew shower cleaner can let you enjoy a refreshing shower without worrying about mold in your bathroom.