The growth of mold and mildew on the shower surface is unpleasant and brings the risk of allergies and infections to family members, especially children. Shower mold cleaners use an effective formula to remove mold infestation and keep the shower clean and healthy. However, choosing the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew requires certain essential considerations.
We bring you a list of these formulations and their pros and cons to help you choose the best option for your mold-cleaning requirements.
Our Top Picks
Types Of Mold And Mildew
Various mold and mildew can grow in the shower, corroding the bathroom surface and spoiling its appearance. The following are the common types of mold and mildew you must know before choosing the best shower mold cleaner.
- Pathogenic: These molds may cause infections to residents, especially children with weakened immune systems. A cleaner can effectively remove small infestations, while large infestations require professional cleaning agents.
- Allergenic: These molds may cause skin and open wound allergies due to long-term exposure. They are easy to remove with household disinfectants.
- Aspergillus: Exposure to aspergillus molds may cause extreme allergic reactions. They are usually found in humid places, such as showers.
- Toxic: Toxic molds generally produce toxic chemicals, which may cause severe effects on the human body, requiring medical attention.
11 Best Shower Cleaners For Mold And Mildew
1. Best Overall: Wet & Forget Shower Cleaner
Wet & Forget’s mold and mildew cleaners come in three packs. It is a ready-to-use formula that requires almost no manual cleaning of the shower surfaces. You can use it to clean mold infestation on non-porous and hard surfaces with one swipe. Spray it on the required surface and leave it for 12 hours for easy cleaning. Keep away from direct contact with the skin and eyes for safe use. Its soft vanilla fragrance keeps the shower smelling fresh. You may check more about this productin this video.
- Easy to use in spray and rinse formulation
- Optimal cleaning and prevention of scum and grime build-up
- Does not require scrubbing or wiping
- Free of bleach, ammonia, or dye
- No irritating fumes when used
- Lasts for up to 12 weeks
- Can work on hard water stains
- May require multiple applications depending on the bathroom surface
- May not work on limescale
2. Best For Shower Cleaner: RMR-86 Instant Mold And Mildew Stain Remover Spray
If you are looking for the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew with long-lasting use, RMR spray is ideal. This mold and mildew remover with spray is easy to use and can clean the shower surface on the first go. It can quickly remove mold and its stains. The strong and gentle cleaning formula can clean various surfaces. Check out this video to learn more.
- Scrub-free formulation
- Easy removal of stubborn mold stains
- Removal of a damp, musty smell
- Useful for the bathroom and kitchen
- Fast cleaning
- Removes deeply embedded stain
- Suitable for concrete, vinyl siding, and wood surfaces
- Slightly ineffective for tough, old mold stains
3. Best For Stain Remover: Star Brite Mold Stain & Mildew Stain Remover
Star Brite’s shower anti-mold cleaner is a concentrated and lightweight liquid formula that quickly removes stains. Its highly alkaline, triple-action formula effectively removes mold stains without the need for extensive manual cleaning. The buffered bleach technology can easily remove grime and grease. Watch this video for more information about the product.
- Effectively cleans outdoor upholstery and acrylic fabric
- Ideal for wood, concrete, fiberglass, drywall, and roof surfaces
- Professional-strength formulation
- Simple spray cleaning
- Does not harm threads or stitching
- Requires a second application with mild scrubbing for old stains
4. Best All-in-one Shower Cleaner: EcoClean Solutions Mold, Mildew & Algae Remover
If you are looking for an all-in-one cleaning solution for your home, try EcoClean mold, mildew, and algae remover. It comes in a one-gallon bottle. This solution can effectively remove stains from shower floors, bathroom tiles, and kitchen sinks. It also has a 60-day money-back guarantee, making it one of the best shower cleaners to prevent mold and mildew.
- Does not require tedious scrubbing
- Cleans nasty algae stains
- Cleans most surfaces
- Cleans stain within a few minutes of application
- High concentration of bleach may affect some surfaces
5. Best Shower Cleaner For Mold And Mildew on Concrete Surfaces: Tilex Mold And Mildew Remover Spray
The Tilex shower mold and mildew remover comes in a pack of two with a spray nozzle for each bottle to easily clean mold-infested surfaces. Its economical size provides a powerful cleaning effect without manual scrubbing. All you need to do is spray the liquid for the ultimate cleaning experience.
- Removes mold and mildew stain immediately
- Useful for concrete surfaces
- Concentrated cleaning solution for high effectiveness
- Spray-enabled easy use
- Useful with a grout brush
- May bleach some surfaces
6. Best For All Surfaces: StoneTech Mold & Mildew Stain Remover
StoneTech’s ready-to-use professional mold cleaner is formulated to remove mold growth and stains on stone surfaces. The two 24-ounce bottles of the spray cleaner are among the best mold removers for showers because they are suitable for all kinds of surfaces. Its unique formula ensures no degradation of grout or stone.
- Suitable for use in both home interiors and exteriors
- Ideal for cleaning ceramic, glass, and porcelain tiles
- Cleans marble, granite, and limestone surfaces
- Leaves the shower pleasant-smelling
- Not suitable for use on cultured marble
- Might require scrubbing after rinsing off spray
7. Best Bleach Free: Followin Mold And Mildew Bathroom Cleaner Gel
This household stain cleaner for shower tiles effectively maintains grout, sinks, and sealants. Its gel-based formula spreads smoothly on the entire surface and adds sticky coverage for easy removal of mold stains. It is also one of the best shower mold and mildew cleaners in a gel formula for concentrated cleaning.
- Deep cleaning with a concentrated formulation
- Non-volatile active ingredients
- Bleach-free, non-acidic cleaning eliminates corrosion
- Safe, biodegradable, and eco-friendly
- Low-odor cleaning
- Wide range of use for different surfaces
- Not suitable for colored grout
8. Best eco-friendly Shower Cleaner For Mold and Mildew: Naturally It’s Clean Mildew Stain Cleaner
This mildew stain cleaner can easily remove thick soap scum without additional scrubbing. It is a suitable bleach shower cleaner, effective for mold cleaning. Use it to easily remove hard water deposits from tubs, hard surfaces, tiles, walls, and doors. Its pure and fresh enzymes can easily break down the grime into basic elements and keep the surface clean for a long time.
- Enzymes effectively remove bad odor
- Leaves the shower smelling fresh
- Non-caustic, non-toxic, and eco-friendly formulation
- Leaves no harsh vapor or fumes
- Safe for regular use
- Does not clean stained caulk
9. Best For Hard Stains: Mold Boss Professional Mold And Mildew Remover, Cleaner
Mold Boss mildew remover is a professional-quality solution for various surfaces, such as tile, vinyl, wood, and grout. Its scum and hard water stain removal effect also makes it one of the best shower cleaners for mold and mildew. Its precise formula can remove hard stains caused by years of mold infestation.
- Effective in mold stain, scum, and calcium removal
- Suits cleaning of doors, shower stalls, and sinks
- Ensures heavy-duty cleaning
- Combines stain removal with powerful cleaning to whiten surfaces
- Safe to use
- Trigger spray not included
- Strong bleach smell
10. Best Multi-Purpose Shower Cleaner For Mold and Mildew: ZEP Mold Stain And Mildew Stain Remover
ZEP’s formula can dissolve mold and mildew immediately after contact with mold-infested surfaces. Its no-scrub formula requires you to spray the liquid onto the surface and rinse it after a while for effective cleaning. It weighs 32 ounces and is reasonably priced.
- Removes and cleans surfaces of tough mildew
- Multi-purpose use for tiles, fiberglass, and porcelain
- Suitable for cleaning toilet bowls, sinks, and grout
- Professional, commercial-strength, ready-to-use formulation
- Penetrates mildew for surface whitening
- Quick cleaning effects within 15 to 20 minutes
- Can corrode surface if left for long
11. Best Mold Stains: Mold Armor FG502 Mold And Mildew Killer + Quick Stain Remover
Mold Armor’s shower anti-mold agent is the top product to remove mold and mildew stains, and the well-designed trigger sprayer is easy to use. It takes little time to clean various surfaces, including the shower surface, hard and non-porous surfaces, and effectively remove mold stains.
- Kills germs, including mold, bacteria, and viruses
- Cleans off grime and soap scum easily
- Suitable for use in toilet, bathtubs, shower doors, and sinks
- Easy whitening with a bleach-based formulation
- Cleans the surface quickly after spray
- Does not require scrubbing
- Disinfects with a single application
- May discolor painted surfaces
How To Choose The Right Mold And Mildew Shower Cleaner?
Consider the following factors before choosing the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew.
- Formula composition and type: Most shower mold cleaners are bleach-based, which can be pungent after use. Choose a product that can leave a pleasant smell after use. You can choose powder, liquid, or gel-based formulas.
- Type of application: Choose a cleaner that you can directly pour from the bottle or a product that comes with a trigger spray for easy use. It is best to choose the latter.
- Cleaning effectiveness: Although some shower mold cleaners can effectively eliminate mold growth, it is essential to choose a product that helps remove stubborn stains and mineral traces on the surface.
- Suitability for surfaces: Not all cleaners can be used on vinyl flooring, wood, or any other delicate surfaces. Make sure to select a cleaning formula that is suitable for most surfaces.
- Safety of use: Choose a cleaning formula that is safe to use, usually made of non-acidic compounds.
Why Trust MomJunction?
To help you rid the growth of mold and mildew in the shower, we have compiled a list of the best shower cleaners in the market. We have also compared the top-rated products and listed their pros and drawbacks so that you can pick a shower cleaner suitable for your bathroom and its requirements. Apart from this, we have included a buying guide that lists the factors one must consider before choosing the right shower cleaner.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are shower cleaners for mold and mildew safe around children?
Cleaners that have organic, natural ingredients and are free from strong-smelling chemicals like bleach are safe to be used in the presence of children, the elderly, and pregnant women.
2. Is shower mold dangerous?
Certain molds can aggravate already existing respiratory problems, such as asthma or COPD. Few can cause coughing, sneezing, or may lead to skin rashes, depending upon the profusion of the molds and one’s immunity.
3. What kills mold instantly?
Vinegar or strong bleach can kill mold instantly but their strong fumes can be tough to get rid off and irritating for the respiratory system.
4. At what temperature is mold destroyed?
Temperatures below freezing point or between 140℉ and 160℉ can destroy the spores of mold. Also, keeping the bathroom dry and free of humidity can also help combat or prevent mold build-up.
5. What does mold smell like?
If your bathroom or toilet smells musty— a stale, damp stench— and not fresh, it’s a strong indicator of the presence of mold.
6. What color is mildew?
Mildew often ranges between the hues of white, gray, yellow and brown and is more on the powdery side. On the other hand, mold is typically found in green, blue, black, and sometimes gray colors and is more slimy in terms of texture.
7. Why does mildew keep returning?
Mildew or mold could keep resurfacing if there is:
- No proper ventilation
- No proper exposure to sunlight
- Prolonged wetness of the bathroom floor
- High humidity levels for extended periods
- Usage of inefficient cleaning agents
Shower cleaners should be an integral part of your bathroom cleaning supply. They ensure that your shower is free of mold and mildew and help you avoid the risk of infections and allergies. While they need to be effective against mold, make sure that the shower cleaner you invest in is formulated to be safe and does not leave behind a pungent smell. Also, when you choose a non-acidic and easy-to-use cleaner, you can have a refreshing shower time.
- Best Bathtub Cleaners
- Best Shower Liners
- Best Shower Caddies For Bathrooms
- Best Vinyl Siding Cleaners
View Profile ›