Nothing is more pleasurable for kids on a hot summer day than sliding on their belly with a continuous sprinkle of water. Actually, it’s not just kids, adults too like nothing better than to take their turn. Not everyone has a pool in the backyard or may want to visit a public swimming pool, and a slip and slide is a great way to cool down on a hot day. And the best part is that you don’t even have to know how to swim.
So whether you have a big or small backyard, whether there are one or more children, and whether you want a single or multiple lanes, you can always find a suitable slip and slide for your backyard. All you need to do is decide which one you want and we hope our review of the 11 best slips and slides will help you do just that. But before that let’s see if slip and slides are really dangerous and the precautions one needs to take to make them safe.
Top Products From Our List
Are Slip And Slides Dangerous
Like with any game that a child plays, there’s always a chance that a child may fall and hurt themselves. But as long as the slip and slide is age-appropriate and the instructions and warnings of the manufacturer are followed, there’s no reason for any panic. If you keep a few basic guidelines in mind, there’s no way a slip and slide could be dangerous.
- Always choose one that’s appropriate for your child’s age and weight.
- Adults should never use a kid’s slip and slide as they will go a lot faster than intended and may end up hurting themselves.
- Always supervise children as you would any other slightly rough game.
- Always check the ground before setting up the slip and slide, remove all stones and rocks, and ensure there are no tree stumps in the vicinity.
- Ensure there’s plenty of space around the slip and slide, especially at the front, so that just in case your kid falls off at the end, there is less chance of them getting hurt.
- Do not add anything to make it more slippery.
- Always remove the slide when not in use. An unattended slide may be a tripping hazard for both children and adults.
- Children have to be told to be disciplined on the slide and should understand that they cannot roughhouse, run, wrestle, or chase each other on the slide.
- Always remove shoes, jewellery, and eyeglasses before getting on a water slide.
- Do not use slides during poor weather.
- Sliding headfirst should be avoided as it can prove to be very dangerous. It is safest to slide down a small slope in a seated position if possible. While sliding on the stomach, do not run, the end of the slide should be clear and not near any objects that can cause injury.
11 Best Slip And Slides
This durable and awesome slip and slide measures 31 x 5.2 inches and features an inflatable crash pad that can be inflated manually or with an air pump. It also features a central sprinkler channel that continuously sprays water, twin lanes for racing, and is great for children who are used to standard slip and slides. Crafted with heavy-duty 0.22 mm PVC, it features a sturdy and durable 6-point system for pegging with stakes and 6 feet of waterproof duct tape for repairs that need to be done immediately. The repair kit is colour-synched for long term use. Ideal for kids aged between 5 and 12 years, it promises hours of entertainment and fun.
- Easy to set up
- Includes hose adapters for female and male hose ends
- Dual-use packaging for both despatch and product to offset CO2
- The inflatable crash cushion may pull away if older children have slid into it frequently.
This kids’ slip and slide is a fun-filled 4-in-1 activity with a water slide, sprinkler, slide, and 3 surfboards. It measures 189 x 30 inches and takes just a minute or 2 to set up. It has an inflatable crash pad and the water slide can be attached to a hose or you can use a bucket of soapy water. The water slide also features a sprinkler with a zig-zag spray pattern that runs along the entire length of the slide along with 2 ground nails. It is crafted with sturdy and thick, super slick PVC sheets, is very durable, and comes with 3 complimentary surfboards. It’s a great way to cool off and have fun during hot months.
- Attractive rainbow color
- Weighs just 8 ounces
- The anchor stakes are only at one end so it may fold over or wrinkle.
This 16 feet long slip and slide have 2 sliding lanes so that kids can race one another while sliding. Made of plastic, it measures 13 x 2.13 x 10 inches, weighs just 4 pounds, and is perfect for children between the age of 5 and 12 years. 2 slide boogies are included to add to the fun as kids spend their summer days cooling off with this awesome slide. And you don’t have to worry about their safety— thanks to the crush pad at the end of the slide. Just unroll this cool slip n slide, wet it, and watch your kids have the time of their life.
- Easy to set up
- Includes 2 anchors
- Includes repair patches
- Does not require to be inflated
- Some feel the material could be more durable.
This 20 x 5.2 feet double slip and slide is the ideal summer toy for kids with its sprinkler and 2 inflatable bodyboards so that they can race one another on the slide. Made of thicker and heavier PVC, it’s extremely durable and will see your kids through several summers. It features an inflated crash pad to ensure that your kids don’t get hurt in the frenzy of playing and racing. It also has an attachment so that the garden hose can be directly connected to the slide.
- Easy to use
- Vibrant colors
- Weighs 6.1 pounds
- Suitable for children above 3 years
- Some feel the inflatable sledges don’t hold air well.
This wide slip and slide is 16 feet long, 6.8 feet wide, weighs 7.72 pounds, and has 3 lanes which gives kids a chance to compete with one another and have hours of fun as they splash around. It also features 3 boogie boards for children to show off new tricks and have a blast. Made of 0.22 mm PVC, it’s 45% thicker and stronger than most lawn water slides and can be used year after year. The water slide features sprinkler holes on both sides so there’s great water pressure, ideal water coverage, and no dearth of slipperiness.
- Very durable
- Long-lasting premium design
- Ideal for children who are 5+ years
- Tested and certified for international safety standards
- 2 stakes may not be enough to hold it down
This great slip and slide have an in-built sprinkler with a zig-zag spray pattern that runs all along the side of the slide, giving fantastic water coverage. This makes for great slipperiness and sliding and the slide can be conveniently connected to a water hose. Made of ultra-thick, sturdy, embossed, super slick PVC, it doesn’t require any soap to be added to the water. Measuring 25 x 6 feet, it has 8-inch high walls on the sides, keeping both the water and the sliders safely on the slide. In addition, it comes with 2 mega sledges measuring 36 x 24 inches to make the ride more slippery and also to give extra cushioning while sliding.
- No dry spots on the slide
- Includes slide stake straps
- Standard hose connection required for sprinkler
- Twice as thick as most of the slides
- Easy to install, remove, and store
- Customized connection system to connect more slides together
- Inflatable sledges may not withstand heavy use
This mega-sized slip and slide measures a jumbo 30 x 6 feet and can turn your yard into a water park for everyone to have loads of fun. Extremely durable, this thick tarp material is designed for roughhousing and to handle heavy use. It can be secured to the ground with 10 flush U-shaped metal anchor stakes for safety and prevents the slide from folding or wrinkling. It also features a mesh carry bag for easy transport and storage. This slip and slide includes a 12-inch strip of repair tape and reinforced stake connections to reduce ripping and tearing.
- Easy to install
- Easy to repair
- Super-slick for added slipperiness
- Includes a bag for accessories
- Cannot be installed on a slope greater than 8°
- The sprinkler is not included
This 25 x 6 feet water slide is great for kids to slide on and race their way to the 8.5 x 5 feet U-shaped splash pool at the end for a cool splash. All you need to do is lay the slide on the grass, secure it with the 10 U-shaped stakes, hook it to the garden hose, and you are ready for endless hours of delight. It has 2 separate lanes for racing and holes in the middle divider spray a continuous stream of water. If kids get tired of the slip and slide, they can chill in the splash pool. Made of a durable, super-slick, thick tarp, it’s designed for heavy use and can be stored and carried conveniently in the mesh carry bag that comes with it.
- Easy to set up
- Stakes sit flush with the ground
- Includes stake carrying bag
- Attaches to any garden hose
- Reinforced stake connections reduce ripping and tearing
- Some may find it too heavy to empty for drying.
This 16 feet long inflatable slip and slide is triple the fun with 3 sliding lanes to race in. This means several kids can play together and reduces the time that the child has to wait for their turn. Made of strong PVC, it’s extremely sturdy and can be easily used for several years. The slide comes with 3 additional boogie boards which slide effortlessly due to low friction. There are multiple holes in various parts of the slide for maximum wetness and easy sliding. Just lay the slide on the grass and secure it by inserting the stakes into the ground and get ready for hours of fun.
- Top-quality material
- Durable and resilient
- Practical and versatile
- Easy to assemble
- The slide may not retain water well for long periods of time.
Made of thick and durable super-slick PVC, this 16 feet long slip and slide is extremely long-lasting and can go on year after year if dried and stored properly. This product pays a lot of attention to safety and there’s an inflatable pool at the front end with 2 cushion pads on the sides to protect children by stopping them from sliding out. This slide is safe for use by both kids and adults. The side of the slide has holes for water to sprinkle on the pad and the splash pool at the front can be used to relax and chill out. It also serves as a crash pad as it prevents children from sliding to the ground and getting injured.
- Can be connected to any garden hose
- Weighs 3.54 pounds
- 25 cm thick PVC for protection
- Is perfect for children above 5 years of age
- Some feel the slide should be longer.
This 30 x 8 feet huge slip and slide is made from super strong and unique polyethene that is extremely tough and durable, is treated with a UV stabilizer and is light blue in colour so it doesn’t retain heat like darker colours do. The super slick material of this blue slide is quite slippery. This eco-friendly slide is made from as much recycled material as possible to maintain product quality while caring for the environment. It comes with 9-inch long landscape staples to keep the slide in place and stop it from folding or wrinkling.
- Suitable for adults and children above 13 years of age
- Easy to set up
- No Prop 65 regulated contaminants
- Available in bigger sizes as well
- The holes for the stakes are not reinforced, and so may tear.
Now that you have been through our review of the 11 best slip and slides, let us give you a few pointers on what to keep in mind while choosing one for your backyard.
How To Choose The Right Slip And Slides
- Space available
That’s the very first thing you need to worry about while choosing a slip and slide. You need to have enough space in your yard— don’t think that if you have a 12-foot yard, you can put up a 12- foot slide. Running space is required for momentum and space is also required at the end of the slide to avoid injuries.
- Size of the slide
This will be determined by who will be using the slide. If adults are also going to slip and slide, you will need to buy a longer slide. But do remember that the longer the slide, the more expensive it will be. The slides that are the most fun usually measure 15 to 30 feet in length and about 6 feet in width.
- Weight capacity
Smaller slides usually have a weight capacity of up to 110 pounds, which is actually only fit for toddlers apart from being safer for them. In case the whole family wants to join in the fun, you need to choose a slip and slide with a higher weight capacity.
- Materials and quality
Most slides are made from durable PVC, nylon, or vinyl which have a similar bounce. But in the long run, PVC has proven to be tougher than the others. So if you want your slip and slide to last you for a few years, get a PVC one. In case, you only want it to last for the season, a nylon one would be a better choice as it’s cheaper than a PVC slip and slide as well.
- Safety features
Though pretty safe, slip and slides, if designed for toddlers, should have inflatable safety railings so that they can’t slide off the course. In addition to that, a crash pad at the end prevents kids from hitting the ground at the end of the slide. Also, it should have stakes to hold the slide firmly on the ground and prevent injury to your child.
- Children’s age
Parents know their children best and what they are capable of doing and managing. So it’s best to use one’s discretion while choosing a slip and slide for your child. Just because the product mentions that it’s for kids that are 7 and above does not mean a 6-year-old cannot use it. On the other hand, do not let a toddler use a slip and slide meant for teenagers or they might get hurt. Try to get one that grows with your child.
- Additional features
Do check if the slip and slide has additional features like waterfalls and sprinklers that keep the slide smooth and wet for easy sliding. Splash pools are also a good addition that are great for kids to chill out in. Boogie boards also offer a better and faster sliding experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will, my slip and slide kill my grass?
If you leave your slip and slide on the grass for long periods it can damage your grass and maybe even kill it. It happens usually because of the lack of sun. To protect the grass you can water it frequently, and choose a place for your slide where it can cause minimal damage. You can also put a blanket under the slide so that the grass gets heat while also moving the slip and slide regularly.
- What’s the best slip and slide soap that won’t kill my grass?
Usually, soaps are the reason the grass dies, but a baby shampoo will not cause damage to your grass. You could also replace soap with cooking vegetable oil.
- Can I use any tarp as a slip and slide?
Yes, you can. But a makeshift one over a well-designed slip and slide can hurt your skin and may not be able to withstand wear and tear.
- What can you put on a slip and slide to make it slippery?
Any liquid soap, whether it’s baby soap, dish soap, shampoo, or body wash, will work well to make it more slippery. Even regular oils like baby oil or vegetable oil can be used on a slip and slide to make it more slippery.
Slip and slides can convert your backyard into a mini waterpark, keep you cool, and give everyone loads of delight as they slide on it. A great way of keeping the family activities on a hot summer day, it’s also a great way for a family to interact and bond. It’s pure exhilaration as you speed along on your belly with a steady sprinkle of water. Of course, before you buy one you need to keep safety features as well as the size of your yard in mind. Other factors that matter are the age of your children and any special features you may want. We hope our review of the 11 best slip and slides will help you find what you are looking for.