Children can be as stylish and trendy as adults and could be even more. They enjoy imitating adults and getting accessories that adults may use. The best smartwatch for kids is one such accessory most of them love. Smartwatches have useful features and are cool options for children. In addition, they are practical choices for parents to gift their children. However, it is not easy to find a suitable smartwatch with plenty of options to choose from. So to make things easier for you, we have listed down some top-rated smartwatches for kids.
11 Best Smartwatch For Kids To Stay Active And Smart In 2024
1. Best Themed: VTech Star Wars First Order Stormtrooper Smartwatch
It is an excellent smartwatch for children aged 8-10 years. It includes Star Wars themed photo effects that the children can use to take creative pictures and videos. It comes with a voice recorder that also has a voice changing feature. Other features include an alarm, timer, and stopwatch. Check out this detailed review video to learn more about the product.
- Use the touch screen feature to activate the three mini-activities that include blasting asteroids, escaping Stormtroopers, and racing with BB-8
- The motion sensor can be used to trigger sound effects
- Features a calculator for simple addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication
- Digital and analog clock to help children learn the time
- No micro SD port for extra storage
- The alarm can be set only for a specific time and not the date
"The multiple features of this watch, such as mini-games, a camera, and a pedometer, have been successful in keeping my child entertained while encouraging him to walk more. The battery life could be better, but the on/off switch is a handy addition for conserving battery."
2. Best Activity Tracking: LeapFrog LeapBand
This smartwatch is loaded with challenges that a child will love to take on. It is the first kid’s activity tracker with a personalized pet on the band. Ideal for kids between the age of four and seven years, this watch has 50 fun challenges and built-in rewards to motivate kids and encourage healthy habits. Here’s a video that will help you select the right diaper bag for your needs.
- Compatible with iOS (6.0 and higher), Android (4.03 or higher), and LeapFrog wireless tablets
- It has parental controls
- Water-resistant watch
- High-resolution screen
- The band can be adjusted to fit the child’s wrist
- Available in three colors
- Battery life is not great
- May not be interesting for kids above seven years of age
"This kid-friendly watch has been a great addition, especially for timed activities. The strap may pinch when not fastened properly, but the easy-to-understand functions and appealing dog-themed design make it super attractive. Overall, it's a charming accessory with delightful features."
3. Best Memory Storage: VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch DX
Kidizoom DX is perfect for kids in the age group 4-9 years. It comes with a lot of memory to store pictures and videos. It also has an analog and digital clock display, as well as a calendar and calculator. It has eight in-built games that include action challenges and motion games. Here’s a video that demonstrates exactly how easy it is to use this product every day.
- Durable and great memory
- Splash and sweat proof
- Comes with a rechargeable battery and a micro USB cable
- Touch screen
- Connects to Learning Lodge, the VTech mobile app that you can use to download games and more
- Includes an alarm, timer, and stopwatch
- Short battery life
- Doesn’t come with an AC plug, which you need to buy separately. Of you can charge the battery by connecting it to a USB port
"My little one loves this vibrant watch, especially its downloadable content and the math games. Although it is slightly tricky to get the hang of the charging process, the functionality offered more than makes up for it. It also motivates my child to exercise. It has been a helpful gadget until now."
4. Best With Camera: Prograce Kids Smart Game Watch
It is a kid-friendly, smart band suitable for ages 3 to 12 years. Flashlight, built-in games, speedometer, and a rotatable 0.3 MP camera are few of its features. It connects to music players and radio through wired or Bluetooth 3.0 earphones.
- It has a touch screen
- 90° Rotatable Camera
- Enables health monitoring
- Comes with a microSD slot
- Includes motion sensors for health monitoring
- Does not come with a microSD card
5. Best Multifunctional: SZBXD Kids Smartwatch
It is a multi-functional smartwatch for children with features such as GPS and LBS positioning, SOS emergency call, camera, flashlight, voice chat, clock, math games, etc. Like a smartphone, it has a two-way calling feature.
- Silicon band is very soft
- Comfortable to wear
- Easy to use
- Fits all wrist sizes
- Has parental control
- Does not come with an SD card
6. Best Touchscreen: YIHOO Kids Smart Phone Watch
The HD color screen of this smartwatch minimizes the strain on the child’s eyes. Its features include two-way calling, built-in high-definition camera and recording, games, etc. It makes an ideal choice for kids as it emits ultra-low radiation. Its rechargeable battery can be charged with a USB cable.
- High-definition touch screen
- Built-in games
- Battery standby time 5-7 days
- Band is adjustable
- Premium grade silicone material is used for the band
- Does not come with an AC adapter
7. Best Battery Life: YNCTE Smartwatch
This smartphone is easy to operate and is integrated with multiple functions. Its features include alarm clock, games, camera, calendar, calculator, as well as two-way phone call feature. It comes with a rechargeable battery and a USB cable.
- Color touchscreen
- Battery standby time is 5-7 days
- The band is made of high-quality silicone
- Enables interaction with kids anytime
- Does not come with a sim card
8. Best For Learning: DUIWOIM Smartwatch
This smartwatch offers effective learning and entertainment for kids. It comes with GPS and SOS features that ensure the child’s safety by tracking their location. The other special features include a pedometer, high-resolution camera, and two-way communication functions. It is recommended for children of age 4+.
- The band is made of high-quality silicone material
- It is waterproofed
- Two language options are available: English and Chinese
- Supports WiFi
- High-definition touchscreen that is easy on the eyes
- Does not come with an AC adapter for charging
"My daughter adores this kids' smartwatch and uses it to call the grandparents and take pictures. I love that it comes with an SOS feature. The initial setup was slightly tricky, but it's a decent piece that my daughter finds exciting."
9. Best Waterproof: Aidiado smartwatch
Great design and multiple features make this smartwatch an ideal choice for kids as well as adults too. It works with a 2G SIM card. Its multiple functions include a pedometer, sleep monitoring, image viewer, sound recorder, alarm clock, calendar, calculator, and camera (0.3MP).
- Compatible with Android and iOS
- It is waterproof and easy to use
- Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, and Browser accessible on this smartwatch
- It comes with an SD card and a charger
- Supports only 2G SIM cards
- iPhone supports only partial functions, as the app is not completely compatible with iOS
"I got this smartwatch for a niece. Although the camera quality isn't the best in low-light conditions, the other valuable features, such as games, a torch, and the ability to record videos, have successfully kept the child occupied. It became a much-loved gift in just a short period."
10. Best Health Monitor: BingoFit Fitness Tracker smartwatch
It is a perfect gift for kids or adults and fits wrist sizes from 5.9 to 9.4 inches. Its smart design includes a customized dial face. It is integrated with all-day activity and sleep tracker. This smart band also monitors health efficiently. Other features include weather display, music player, brightness adjustment, clock, alarm, and more.
- Supports Android 4.4 and iOS 9.0 or above
- The box includes a charger
- Easy to charge using the USB cable
- Resistant to sweat, rain, splashing
- High-quality screen with clear display
- Six levels of brightness adjustment
- Not recommended for wearing when swimming
11. Best Easy-To-Use: Mgaolo smartwatch
This smartwatch has functions like a sedentary reminder, alarm, anti-theft/lost feature, sleep monitor, pedometer, calorie counter, step counter, camera, and more. It is ideal for adults and kids as well. It can be automatically synced to your smartphone through Bluetooth.
- Supports Android (4.4 and above), (IOS 8.0 and above), and Bluetooth (4.0 and above)
- The smartwatch app supports multiple languages like English, Japanese, Korean, German, Russian, Spanish, Italian, French, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Traditional Chinese.
- The battery standby time is 5-7 hours in a single charge of one hour.
- Waterproof and dustproof
- Easy to use
- The quality of the band makes it comfortable for a day-long wear
- Can be charged only with a USB cable
How To Choose The Right Smartwatch For Kids?
Here is our comprehensive guide to help you select a suitable smartwatch for your child.
- Age-appropriate: Some smartwatches are designed specifically for young children, while others are better suited for older children. Check the recommended age range for the smartwatch to determine if it is suitable for your child.
- Features: Consider the features you want the smartwatch to have. Some smartwatches include GPS tracking abilities, parental controls, learning apps, compatibility with other operating systems, games, and more to suit your child’s needs.
- Durability: Ensure the smartwatch you choose can withstand wear and tear from rough use. Check the material and ensure it is skin-friendly, non-toxic, scratch-resistant, and waterproof.
Heather Welch, a mom, educator, play advocate, and developer of educational toys, says, “You could also read reviews by other parents and users to get insights into which smartwatches are best suited for your child.”
She adds, “Smartwatches are a wonderful way to engage children in different activities and help them keep track of their activity levels and progress. For example, one of my children loves to see how much fitness activity he has done in a week and tries to do more each week.”
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do kids need a smartwatch?
Giving child-friendly smartwatches to kids can help ensure your child’s safety by tracking their location and serving as a means of communication. These watches can keep children updated with their built-in challenges and activities that encourage them to inculcate good habits and help them track their health stats (1).
2. Are smartwatches for kids safe?
Smartwatches are meant for kids’ safety as parents can use them to monitor their movements and to communicate with them when away from home. Also, many watches come with parental control to prevent them from being misused by children. Check the product details to ensure the watch is made of child-safe materials and is hack-proof.
3. How long do kids’ smartwatches last?
Most reputable smartwatches can last for three to five years, after which the battery might need a change. However, the durability of the watches is subject to the rough play they receive.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah is our resident writer and editor with experience in reviewing electronic devices for kids. His well-researched articles ensure top-quality products, taking into account the child’s requirements and interests. Here, he suggests some of the coolest and highest rated smartwatches for kids, along with some important features to check before choosing a smartwatch for your child. The products listed in this article are of premium quality and durable.
Infographic: Buying Tips For Smart Watches For Children
If your children are tech-savvy, smartwatches can be a perfect gift for them. Unlike digital and analog watches, a smartwatch can tell more than just time and keep children entertained. It also comes with some safety features and other functionalities to ensure children’s security. Explore the below infographic for essential buying tips to help you choose the perfect smartwatch for your child.
- Investigating Opportunities To Support Kids’ Agency And Well-Being: A Review Of Kids’ Wearables:
- Wearable Computers and Wearable Technology
- Franceli L. Cibrian et al.; (2021); Parents’ perspectives on a smartwatch intervention for children with ADHD: Rapid deployment and feasibility evaluation of a pilot intervention to support distance learning during COVID-19
- Best Smart Watches To Buy For Teens
- Best Watches To Buy For Boys
- Best Disney Watches For Kids
- Best Watches For Skiing And Snowboarding