Children these days are leagues ahead of adults in terms of technology. So, if your teen is excited by innovations, you should introduce them to the best smartwatches for teens. These watches keep the look of a traditional watch but add a stylish overlay and tell more than just the time.
Smartwatches can help your teen stay fit and active every day by monitoring their heart rate, daily steps, and much more. They also add a touch of sophistication to their wardrobe, with some options allowing the ability to change straps to match outfits. Below, we have listed the best-selling teen smartwatches that are comfortable, stylish, and offer several interesting features. These tried-and-trusted watches will keep your teens engaged with everything from their health to the latest music.
9 Best Smartwatches For Teenagers In 2024
Here are some of the top smartwatches for the smart generation. Pick your favorites and narrow them down to the one you want to flaunt.
1. Best Durable: Samsung Galaxy Watch
If you are looking for a watch that can be your next best friend, this is the one for you. This teenager’s smartwatch tells the time and also offers accurate stress level tracking, just like your best friend would. It can make and answer phone calls, and has an integrated speaker and a microphone. The watch can also be used to respond to text messages, and access sports scores, headlines, and playlists, great for minimizing screen time. The watch comes in three color variants: silver, rose gold, and midnight black. It is advisable to avoid excessive and sudden temperature changes or perform high-velocity activities while wearing the watch. Rinse the watch in fresh water if it is exposed to saltwater or chlorinated water.
Tech reviewer Nick Ackerman says, “The stand out feature may just be its incredible 72-hour battery life. To enjoy personalization, you’ll need the Galaxy Gear App on your phone–just hit connect, punch in the numbers, and it connects pretty seamlessly through Bluetooth–a simple and straightforward process.”
- Military-grade durability
- Includes calorie and sleep tracker
- Long-lasting battery
- Resistant to water and scratch
- A range of customizable options
- Storage space may not be sufficient
- May not be great for reading messages
"This watch seamlessly connects to my devices. The fitness tracking adds value to my routine. I have had doubts about its water resistance and faced occasional software bugs, but it's a good pick for beginners."
2. Best Touchscreen: Cubitt Jr Smart Watch Fitness Tracker
The Cubitt Jr smartwatch with an accelerometer sensor helps track distance traveled, steps taken, calories burned, and reviews active minutes. This fitness smartwatch for teenagers has an IPS color touchscreen with an adjustable brightness feature for enhanced visibility. Besides, a seven-day battery life, eight entertaining games, ten alarm options, and display notifications for calls, texts, and social media make the watch both fun and practical.
- Quality health monitoring and fitness tracking smartwatch for teens
- Can be used to monitor and review sleep quality and habits
- Customizable display theme and brightness
- Provides 24-hour temperature tracking
- Water-resistant material
- Some might find the sounds lower than expected
- Band might be a little short for some
"I got this watch for my kids to help them stay active and learn time management. While its durability is impressive, the band might need occasional replacement. It syncs well with the app despite some challenges. Overall, it's a decent pick."
3. Best For Health Tracking: Amazfit Bip U Pro Smart Watch
Health tracking has been made easier with the Amazfit Bip U Smart Watch. It helps you track your 24-hour heart rate, stress levels, sleep quality, blood oxygen level, and even your menstrual cycle. Its quality craftsmanship includes a color screen with a 1.43-inch screen size and an impressive visual display for messages, reminders, and incoming phone calls. Tech reviewer Lim says, “Comfort-wise, it is slim, and the straps are very thin, which is perfect for me because I wear it to bed at night to track my sleep. The Pro version also comes with GPS and a mic, which can be used for voice assistance. ” It also gives smart notifications and allows you to view the calendar and weather forecast and control the music and camera of your phone.
- Includes a heart rate monitor and a sleep tracker
- Built-in features like GPS and Alexa
- Has 60+ sports modes
- Water-resistant up to 50 meters
- Nine-day long-lasting battery
- Ultra-light design
- Display may be a bit dim for outdoor use
- May not come with clear instructions for setting it up
"I found this watch apt for step counting and basic fitness tracking. The long battery life is a plus. However, the sleep tracking and O2 sensor might not work as expected. Cool features like customizable faces and water resistance make the watch more attractive."
Cubitt Jr Smart Watch Fitness Tracker
Amazfit Bip U Pro Smart Watch
Best For Health Tracking
|1 Lithium Metal batteries required
|1 Lithium Polymer batteries required
|0.5 x 1.81 x 1.92 inches
|1.61 x 1.39 x 0.44 inches
4. Best Premium: Withings Steel Hybrid Smartwatch
Chic, stylish, and elegant in every way, this Withings watch can be your new favorite accessory for evening parties or outings. Boasting quality craftsmanship, this watch has a premium Italian leather wristband and a sapphire glass dial, which gives it a classy look. The best thing about this watch is its battery, which can last up to 25 days on a single charge. It can run for a bonus of 20 days when used in the power-saver mode. YouTube product reviewer Arlo Guthrie, also known as the Gadget Man, says, “It does have a number of other functions like alerting you to new emails, measuring your heart rate, the calories burnt, and your sleep patterns–all of which are displayed on a tiny digital screen.” Check out this product review video showcasing a tester’s experience to know more about the watch.
- Water-resistant up to 50m
- Can track your activities, heart rate, and sleep schedules
- Safety feature like connected GPS maps all your movements
- Activity tracker works 24/7 and can keep a check on more than 30 styles of fitness routines with its inbuilt workout mode
- May have one repeatable alarm time
- Bluetooth might disconnect multiple times
"I got this watch for its stylish blend of traditional and smart features. It's great for swimming, and its reliable tracking is impressive. But it has some issues, such as getting scratched easily and not always counting steps accurately. However, I am still pleased with this purchase."
5. Best Water-Resistant: Kate SpadeTouchscreen Smartwatch
The cute watch from the trusted brand Kate Spade is perfect for someone looking for a timepiece. This stylish smartwatch for teenagers is also functionally efficient. It has a pretty scallop touchscreen dial and a silicone wristband that is gentle on the skin. The watch displays all the smartphone notifications and allows you to view weather forecasts, make lists, set reminders, and play or control music. It is available in five colors. Watch this video showcasing a tester’s experience to get a detailed review of the watch.
- Helps in activity tracking for a healthy lifestyle
- Can be set to different time zones of the world
- Touchscreen dial can be customized
- Water-resistant up to 9.14m
- Long lasting battery up to 24 hours on a single charge
- Might overheat after extended use
- Might be slightly bulky
"This smartwatch caught my attention for its design. It's user-friendly, but managing the battery requires a slight effort. Even though setup may take some patience, it offers essential functions without any fancy extras, which is a plus. Overall, it is comfortable and functional."
6. Best Battery Life: Marc Jacobs Riley Hybrid Smartwatch
If you are looking for a sporty-looking smartwatch with amazing battery life, this one can be a good pick. Available in six different styles, this smartwatch by the tried-and-tested brand Marc Jacobs has a gold-toned aluminum case and a wrist strap made of rubber. A unique feature of this watch is the selfie button with remote camera shutter activation. Check out this product review video to learn more.
- Can play and control music, track activities, monitor sleep, and read all the notifications on your smartphone
- Sleep tracking smartwatch for teens
- Dial has customizable button options
- Compatible with iOS and Android mobile phones
- Water-resistant up to 50m
- Long-lasting battery lasts up to six months
- May not be scratch-proof
- Might be difficult to use in the dark
"This hybrid watch fits well into my daily life with its traditional design. It tracks basic activities and gives simple notifications without looking too fancy. It can be slightly bulky, but I like its interchangeable band feature and stylish look."
7. Best Activity Tracker: Timex Metropolitan Smartwatch
This Metropolitan Plus smartwatch is a blend of a stylish activity tracker and a traditional analog watch. It is available in five variants and has a round analog dial. This watch has a band made of leather, and the dial is set in a brass case. Daniel, a gear reviewer, outdoorsman, and YouTuber, says, “This is an activity-tracking watch, so it tracks your steps, your calories, and how far you’ve gone on a daily basis.” He adds, “It looks like a retro-style regular watch, but has a lot more built into it–it has Bluetooth and links to your smartphone.” The best feature of this smartwatch is that it does not require any charging.
- Can sync with the mobile phone
- Luminous hands and notch markers to record activities
- Can track steps and also the calories burnt
- Water-resistant up to 100m
- App may be difficult to sync
- Battery may not be great
"This hybrid smartwatch is pretty practical, combining analog charm and fitness tracking without frequent charging. While it's a bit thick, I like its features and functionality. The initial syncing with the phone takes a while, but it has been worthwhile so far."
8. Best Customizable: Fossil Gen 4 Smartwatch
A sleek and dynamic watch with a powerful dial, this watch by the established brand Fossil is one of the best options for you. It comes in 11 variants with a leather strap and stainless steel touchscreen dial, which can also be customized. This watch also features calendar alerts, custom goals, and alarm settings, and can also display multiple time zones. It is compatible with Google Fit and can track your heart rate and activity. If you are looking for GPS smartwatches for teens, then this could be a suitable choice.
- Includes a heart rate monitor
- Can play and control music
- Has an estimated 24-hour battery life on a single charge
- Has an inbuilt microphone and speaker
- Can read your smartphone’s notifications and track GPS
- Shows the weather as per the local climatic conditions
- With the LED flashlight option, this watch can help you navigate easily in dark surroundings
- Swim-proof and water-resistant up to 50m
- Touchscreen may be slightly sensitive
- Strap might get dirty easily
"This smartwatch is great for staying connected without a phone nearby, which appeals to me. Although the straps get dirty and the battery drains fast, the fast charging option and handy notification feature compensate for these."
9. Best Versatile: Michael Kors Access Sofie
Featuring a touchscreen display, the versatile smartwatch for tweens is elegant, powerful, and efficient. It comes in nine variants with different bracelet styles. It has a stainless steel band and case, including an extra buckle to let you use it with interchangeable straps.
- Offers customizable dials and interchangeable bands
- Can track goals, activity, and play or control music
- Battery lasts up to 24 hours on a single charge
- Can read smartphone notifications, and the touchscreen dial offers various functional features
- May not be suitable for swimming or showers
- May not work as well with iPhones
"As an Android user, this watch charmed me with its functionality and aesthetic appeal. It easily tracks steps, sends notifications, and allows for quick responses. However, the battery needs all-night charging to work as expected. Still, I would suggest this one for its style."
How To Choose The Right Smartwatch For Teens?
Here are some points to consider when buying a smartwatch for teens.
- Battery life: Ensure the smartwatch has an adequate battery life that matches your child’s lifestyle, preventing the need for frequent charging. Most watches can sustain from a few days to a few months on a single charge depending on your usage.
- Compatibility: Check that the smartwatch syncs with the teen’s smartphone for easy data transfer and use. You can opt for watches that are Android and iOS-compliant for convenience.
- Fitness features: Select a watch that allows your teen to keep track of their health and has exercise modes. A watch with a heart rate monitor and a tracker to check their stress and energy levels, sleep quality, respiration, menstrual cycle, and more can be a good option.
- Durability: Look for water and scratch resistance, skin-friendly materials, sturdy buckles, and more to ensure long-lasting performance.
- Additional features: Choose a smartwatch with advanced features like GPS, video call mode, vibrant display, notifications, message tabs, games, weather forecasts, calendars, music player, and safety features to make your teen’s life easier.
- Design: Look for trendy designs with multiple band options and customizable dials. Most customizable smartwatches for teens are available in various colors with interchangeable bands and premium glass dials for a stylish look.
Precautions To Take
Smartwatches can surely make life easy, convenient, and exciting, but there are some important precautions to take while using this watch.
- Anyone who has an implanted medical device must place this watch at least 20cm away from it. It is advisable to wear a smartwatch on the opposite wrist and not on the same wrist as the medical device.
- Do not place the watch around the heart or chest area.
- Remove the smartwatch while undergoing any medical or spa treatment.
- If you think you are allergic to the materials used for making the dial or strap, discontinue its usage.
- Don’t forget to read the safety instructions in the manual of these smartwatches.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I add apps to smartwatches?
Yes, you can install apps from the Google Play Store app on some smartwatches. Just make sure that your watch is connected to a Wi-Fi connection before installing the app.
2. How long do smartwatches last?
The longevity of a smartwatch depends on its specifications and how well you take care of it. A smartwatch that is scratch- and water-resistant tends to last longer than other smartwatches. Keeping it in a suitable box after every use and ensuring that it doesn’t make contact with water very often, even if it is a waterproof smartwatch for teens, can add to its longevity.
3. Are smart watches waterproof?
Some smartwatches are waterproof. However, it is advised to always look carefully at the specifications before buying the product.
4. Do smartwatches work without a phone?
Yes, some smartwatches do work without a phone. You just need a phone for the initial setup, and then you’re done. However, you cannot use the GPS tracking feature without a phone.
5. What age is a smartwatch suitable for?
Children can start using a smartwatch by the age of five years. Just make sure to buy an age-appropriate smartwatch. A fashionable smartwatch for teens with advanced features such as GPS, games, weather forecasts, a video call mode, and message tabs is a good option.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedesto Chirhah is a seasoned product writer and reviewer who primarily covers electronic items, household products, and more. After extensive trend analysis and factoring in the durability, battery life, and specifications, such as water resistance, glass type, and GPS tracking capabilities, he has compiled this list of the best smartwatches for teens. He also lists the precautions one should take when wearing a smartwatch to keep your teens safe.
Smartwatches do more than just show time. They help you store and play music, track activities, conduct heart rate monitoring, monitor sleep, track weather, and do so much more. Wearing one encourages teenagers to stay active and healthy. The best smartwatches are durable, water-resistant, and stylish. They also have excellent battery life, customizable dials, and interchangeable bands. However, when choosing a practical and trendy smartwatch for teens, ensure it has all the basic features. Also, teach them about the safety precautions they should take when wearing one. Our top picks are the Samsung Galaxy Watch, which can work for several days on a single charge, and the Amazfit Bip U Pro Smart Watch, featuring 60+ sports modes, ideal for active teens.
Infographic: How To Use Smart Watches Correctly?
Smartwatches’ fitness tracking, communication, and organization capabilities provide convenience and connectivity, encouraging an active lifestyle for teenagers. However, it’s essential to guide your teen in using these electronic devices with utmost care to promote their safety and preserve the watch’s durability. Refer to the infographic below to learn how to use smartwatches wisely.
- Best Watches For Skiing And Snowboarding
- Best Women’s Wrist Watches
- Best Disney Watches For Kids
- Best Fishing Watches