Winters are beautiful and dreamy until all the snow piles up in your driveways and walkways, turning it into a nightmare. A snow blower can either be a luxury or an absolute necessity depending on the region you inhabit. When choosing a snow blower for clearing up the snow, consider the weather and the area. With a broad spectrum of options available in the market, from petite to big and sturdy, we have curated a list of the best snow blowers to help you to pick the right machine.
Types Of Snow Blowers
Snow blowers are available in various options based on their usage pattern:
- Single-stage: The single-stage snow blower uses the metal blades or the rubber paddles to suck the snow from the ground and blow it out of the chute. They are smaller and are highly recommended for clearing driveways and sidewalks. These snow blowers have the smallest clearing depth and width.
- Two-stage: They have robust augers with separate fans to discharge the snow. The two-stage snow blowers do not rely on the auger for the discharge and snow removal. They throw snow at a greater distance and have powered wheels.
- Three-stage: Here, both the auger and the additional fan are used to discharge and scrape the snow. They have an additional system that breaks down the ice shards and snow clumps. Three-stage snow blowers are heavy-duty snow blowers with the largest clearing depth and width. You can also use them on uneven terrain.
11 Best Snow Blowers
Weighing 34lb, this electric snow blower uses a 15amp motor. It has a corded-electric power source that doesn’t require oil, gas, or tune-ups, making it effortless to start and maintain. This single-stage snow blower measures 45x19x26in and is available in a blue/black color. The maximum length to which you can extend the cord is 100ft. It includes a clean-out tool to clear built-up snow.
- Ideal for clearing mid-to-large sized walkways and driveways
- Can move up to 720lb of snow per minute
- Has a four-blade auger
- Equipped with a 180° rotatable chute that throws snow up to 25ft
- 23W halogen light to clear snow at night
- Has a fragile body
- The engine of the snow blower might not work at times
- Made from low-quality manufactured material
The WEN electric snow thrower measures 40x18x37in and comes in a beautiful black/orange color. It is manufactured to throw up to 490lb of snow per minute, has a corded electric power source, and is lightweight. The blower has a 2000 RPM auger, and the chute is round and wide-mouthed to help prevent blockage during the operation. It can effortlessly clear patios, sideways, and driveways.
- Clears snow 7.8in deep and 18in wide
- Six-inch wheels increase the mobility
- Has a 180° rotatable chute
- Has a 13.5amp motor
- Will throw snow up to 20ft away
- Made from low-quality plastic
- Can clear only light to moderate snow
- Blades are stiff and might not work
Briggs & Stratton gas snow blower measures 53x26x38in, weighs 175lb, and is available in red/black color. This two-stage snow blower has a 24-inch-wide cleaning path and 20-inch intake height. It is loaded with a powerful and sturdy 950 snow series 208cc robust engine. This cordless snow blower has an electric start, so you can use it effortlessly and has single LED headlights.
• Freehand control
• Unique friction disk drive system
• Left-side crank rotation
• Manual deflector controls
• Steel reversible skid shoes make plowing easy
- Instructions may be difficult to understand
- Wheels are stiff
- Engine might not work after several usages
With peak power technology, this battery-powered snow blower measures 45x35x22in. It is manufactured to combine the power of two ego batteries of 56-volt each. The item weighs 43lb and is equipped with LED headlights to clear the snow quickly during the nighttime. It can throw snow up to 35ft and features a handle-mounted chute-adjustment.
- Incorporates two 56V ARC lithium batteries
- Helps you to redirect snow up to 180° from side to side
- Has different speed controls
- Equipped with a push-button start
- Sturdy steel construction
- Batteries may not last longer
- Not suitable for deep-heavy snow
- Does not come with a circuit protection
Battery-powered and cordless, this product is one of the best snow throwers. It measures 22.5×40.5×44.5in and can throw snow up to a maximum distance of 30ft. It is powered by 40V and incorporates a 4.0AH battery and a charger. The LEDs make it easier to clear the snow at nighttime. This high-quality snow blower can move up to 600lb of snow per minute.
- Has a 12-inch clearing path
- Quiet motor system with an ergonomic handle
- Equipped with six-inch rear wheels for optimal maneuverability
- Safety button and a bail wire provide safety and ease of use
- Does not emit harmful fumes into the environment
- Auger might not work properly
- Made to throw away only the light snow
- Has a poor battery backup
SuperHandy corded-electric snow thrower is ideal for residential or light commercial operations. It is capable of delivering a clear path of 10x5in. Designed specifically to throw 300lb of snow per minute, this handheld snow blower will throw snow up to 25ft. You can use it on sidewalks, driveways, steps, entryways, driveways, etc.
- Quiet motor system
- Adjustable ergonomic handle offers extra comfort
- Outer casing is made from long-lasting polypropylene
- Auger blade is dual-curved
- Instructions aren’t easy to understand
- Battery takes a lot of time to charge
With an expandable power, this product is designed to throw snow up to 20ft. It measures 44.49×21.26×37.4in and is available in a black/orange color. This item has a high-efficiency brushless motor of a longer life span. It is equipped with dual LED headlights to throw snow even at night times.
- Fully collapsible handle for easy storage
- 180° rotational chute
- Compatible with all Worx 40V and 20V tools and products
- Weighs less than 36lb and is easy to lift
- Has more runtime and extra power
- Might break down easily
- Suitable only for light snow
Weighing 18.5lb, this large snow blower has a powerful engine. It measures 40x37x20in and throws snow up to 30ft in any direction you want. It is suitable for walkways, patios, driveways, and more. Perfect for inclement weather, this snow blower is electrically driven and does not cause pollution and noise.
- Steel auger blades for a long-lasting use
- Made from a cold-proof material
- Has an overload protector
- Equipped with a safety switch to prevent accidental start-up
- 180° adjustable chute
- You have to connect it to an extension cord and some users might not find it convenient
- Might easily clog up with snow
With a 15amp copper steel auger, this handheld snow blower guarantees quick snow clearance. It measures 40x37x20in, and ideal for inclement weather. The snow blower has a 180° adjustable chute that ensures no pollution and low noise. It is equipped with an overload protector and antifreeze durable materials, thereby extending the product’s shelf life. It has a corded-electric power source and is suitable for walkways, driveways, patios, and more.
- Can throw snow up to 20ft
- You can change the snow throwing direction and distance to 60 and 90 degrees with its snow nozzle.
- Snowblower is made from cold-proof material
- Safety switch will prevent accidental startup
- Steel auger with blade ensures long-lasting service
- You will need an extension cord to use it
- Might clog-up with the snow
The gas-powered snow blower from Ariens measures 55x27x44in and has a 16-inch-wide wheel. It has a four-way chute control and is ideal for walkways, sideways, driveways, etc. This snow blower weighs 0.01in and guarantees up to a 24-inch clearing path. It has six forward, and two reverse wheel cast iron gears and guarantees a clearing path of 24 inches.
- Chute turning radius is 200 degrees
- Skid shoe type
- Auto-turn steering technology
- Chute is made from sturdy steel
- Drive belt might fall off constantly
- Wheels are relatively stiff
Measuring 43x19x33in, this electric start snow blower from Hattomen is sturdy. It is available in orange and black color and has a 1600W motor to deliver powerful results. With a corded electric power source, this machine will work best for decks, patios, small driveways, walkways, etc. It is easy to assemble and is suitable for residential areas.
- Offers an 18-inch clearing path and a seven-inch clearing depth
- 180° adjustable directional chute
- Full-bail ergonomic lift handle
- Equipped with a zip deflector
- Bottom scrapper is fragile
- Requires a long extension cord
How To Choose The Right Snow Blower?
Here are some features you should consider before buying a snow blower:
- Power-source: From gas snow blowers to battery-powered snow throwers, there are various options. The corded-electric models come with an extension cord up to 100ft. Battery-powered electric models are also available but are not robust and lack the power to clear heavy snow.
- Wheels or tracks: Most two-stage and three-stage snow blowers have engine-driven wheels. They are suitable for larger areas. Some are equipped with tracks (like those on tanks) that are highly suitable for hilly areas and steep driveways as they boost traction.
- Snow blower stages: Most snow throwers suck up the snow from the ground and discharge it by using a chute. Single-stage models use a corkscrew-shaper auger, while two-stage snow blowers use an auger and an impeller. The three-stage snow blower has an accelerator that will throw the snow farthest and fastest. Single-stage models adopt the push-and-pull approach.
- Speed control: Snow blowers are available with numerous speed controls. A single-stage mode uses an auger and a chute. Two-stage and three-stage models are self-propelled snow blowers that will enable you to adjust reverse and forward speeds.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I store a gas snow blower between seasons?
To store a gas snow blower between seasons, you should drain the fuel tank. After this, re-run the engine until all the fuel lines and carburetor is cleared and the engine stops. Once you are done with this, don’t forget to seal your engine. Finally, wrap it up and keep it in your desired location.
2. What is the difference between a snow thrower and a snow blower?
A snow thrower is a single-stage snow removal machine designed to pick the snow in one motion and throw the snow out of the chute with continuous movement. Snow blower refers to a robust, two-stage snow removal machine. The auger will scoop the snow, and the impeller blows the snow out of the chute.
The above list will surely help you pick the right product. Make sure you are investing in a snow blower that ticks all the boxes in your checklist. Pick a product that allows you to clear the pathways in less time.