Winter is all about snowball fights, skating, sumptuous food, fine wine, and frolicking through snowdrifts. And most people are willing o do whatever it takes to have their share of fun playing in the snow.
While the idea of snow sports and activities may seem exciting, a lot of effort goes into creating an environment that facilitates these activities. The effort also includes shoveling away the excess snow that blocks your path.
Whether you are clearing a few inches of snow on a sidewalk or a driveway or digging a car after a snowstorm, you need the right shovel for the job. We have compiled a list of the11 best snow shovels to make your purchase easier.
Types of Snow Shovels
Different types of shoveling jobs require different types of snow shovels. Listed below are the options of snow shovels.
- Snow pusher: These shovels have shallow scoops and U-shaped handles, which are ideal for clearing large areas of light snow by pushing rather than lifting.
- Straight shovel: They have a moderately deep scoop and a straight handle, suitable for lifting and pushing snow. Made of metal or plastic, they have metal edges for durability.
- Offset shovel: These shovels have an ergonomic design; the curved material and width are the same as straight shovels. Offset shovels are suitable for people with low back pain.
- Round-nose shovel: Ideal for frozen drifts, round-nose shovels are similar to garden spades but with a deeper scoop. Their front edges are rounded or pointed, which makes them the right cutting tools.
- Square-nose shovel: The deep metal shovel has square corners, suitable for cutting through frozen and heavy snow and ice.
- Emergency shovel: Small size, foldable, can be easily stored in your vehicle, very suitable for accidental snowfall. It is usually made from plastic and has a square-nosed scoop shovel, which is not suitable for large areas.
- Scraper: Scraper is not exactly like a shovel as it does not have a scoop. This small tool with a short metal blade can quickly cut and remove ice from under the tire tread use.
11 Best Snow Shovels To Buy
With a spring-loaded double handle, the Snow Joe Shovelution saves your back from the strain of lifting and throwing snow. The second spring-loaded handle, which is maneuvered by your other hand, captures the energy dissipated while throwing the snow and quickly retracts to reset the shovel for the next load, reducing back strain by 30%.
The ergonomic benefit reduces the need to bend and improves posture. It has an 18-inch impact resistant blade, which has an aluminum strip for added durability. Use this shovel to remove just a few inches or even blizzard deep snow in a much shorter time and with greater ease. Not just for winter, Snow Joe Shovelution can be used in spring to lift the mulch in your garden.
- Durable, impact-resistant polypropylene blade
- Comfortable, ergonomic D-ring handle grips
- Spring-assist handle acts as a fulcrum
- Ergonomic design improves posture
Suncaster’s snow pusher is equipped with a 36-inch wide blade that can remove a large amount of snow in a short time. Designed to push the snow instead of lifting it, the Snowcaster pusher shovel removes the risk of straining back muscles. The snow pusher is mounted on two sturdy wheels, further reducing the effort required to clear snow.
This shovel is easy to assemble and has a sharp blade to cut through blocks of snow deposits. With the added advantage of a bi-directional blade that can be set to two different angles, Snowcaster allows you to clear the snow on a larger surface area.
- Easy assembly
- Durable wheels
- Bi-directional blade
- Can be used commercially
- Reduces back strain
- Can be used for “wind rowing” snow
This lightweight and easy-to-handle electric snow shovel is the right choice for older people. The shovel is equipped with a 12-amp motor and can move up to 430 pounds of snow per minute. Earthwise offers an adjustable handle, convenient for use by any family member, and has an automatic cut-off function to ensure safety.
The presence of a rear-wheel makes it easy to transport. Powered by electricity, the shovel can work without oil or elbow grease and is suitable for light and moderate shoveling.
- Dual blade curved rotor
- 8-inch clearing depth
- 30-foot throw
- Transport wheels
- Lightweight and compact
- Adjustable chute
- Built-in cord retention hook
Snowplow’s snow pusher has a non-abrasive self-sharpening blade and is ideal for cleaning patios, decks, steps, and driveways. The durable polyethylene blades are weather and impact-resistant and can be used for scratching and pushing. The shovel has a cutting edge, allowing you to chop ice and break up snow in a much shorter time. It has an ergonomic D-grip and is reinforced with a fiberglass handle. A wall hanger clip is provided for easy storage.
- Polyethylene blades
- Fiberglass handle
- D-style grip
- Self-sharpening blades
- Can be used to cut ice
This lightweight shovel has an 18-inch shovel blade with a nylon strip to extend the service life and prevent scratches on patios and other surfaces when crushing dense snow. This shovel has a combined blade that can be used to push or shovel snow and is ideal for cleaning driveways, sidewalks, patios, decks, or steps.
True Temper snow pusher has a curved shaft, so you don’t have to put in a lot of effort every time you swing, making it easier to remove snow. The ergonomically large D-grip is suitable for gloved hands and is easy to shovel.
- D-grip handle
- Ergonomic steel handle
- Nylon wear strip
- Oversized grip for gloved hands
The Overmont folding snow shovel is the ideal companion for long-distance driving or camping trips. It is lightweight and can be disassembled into three pieces for easy portability. You can easily store the shovel in the car or carry it with you in a backpack. The shovel has an adjustable length from 26 to 32 inches and is ideal for removing snow, planting trees, making snowmen, or playing on the beach.
This foldable model is made of processed aluminum alloy and has three bright colors that do not fade over time. The package also includes a convenient, handy ice scraper to remove snow from the car windows.
- Ice-scraper included
- Anodized handle
The portable snow shovel is designed to be compact and is easy to carry. The shovel can be used for emergency snow removal when the car is blocked by snow on the road. The detachable V Vontox shovel can be disassembled into three pieces and removed with one touch, and you can conveniently store the shovel in the trunk of your car.
The shovel is made of aluminum alloy that is lightweight, weather-resistant, and durable. The scoop is wide enough to increase the speed and area of shoveling with minimum effort. The D-shape handle and EVA foam grip enhance the comfort of the shovel. The kit includes a small ice scraper for the safe removal of ice and snow from car windows.
- One-touch spring lock
- Polypropylene scoop and handle
- EVA foaming grip
- D-shaped handle
- Spray powdered steel tube
Garant Yukon snow pushers are equipped with polyethylene blades, ideal for moving light snow from large surfaces. The ultra-wide blade can clear heavy snow with minimal effort. The shovel has a light and long-curved-shaft, set at an angle so that the D-grip can reach the waist, reducing the chance of backache and muscle strain. The ergonomic adjustable handle improves the comfort of using this snow pusher.
- Polyethylene blade
- Ergonomic lightweight curved aluminum handle
- Wide blade
- Large, comfortable grip
Redcamp’s snow shovel is equipped with a telescope T-shaped handle, adjustable to three height levels. It is reinforced with a smart lock and has a foldable design that can be disassembled down into three parts for easy storage and carrying. This aluminum shovel has an excellent powder coating to prevent rust and ensure that the colors will not fade.
The T-shaped grip can reduce the backpressure caused by a snow shovel, and it is easy to hold and maneuver. Perfect for camping and emergency use, this shovel can also be used on gravel and soil.
- Adjustable height
- T-shaped handle for a firm grip
The fiberglass construction of the Bully Tools 27-inch snow pusher handle gives it the strength needed to remove heavy snow, making it durable. The D-grip is designed to increase leverage and reduce backpressure while providing stability. An extended ferrule can prevent splintering and damage due to wear and tear, strengthening the handle further.
The blade is made of high-quality coated steel and has a leading edge that allows it to even slice under compacted snow and ice. Bully Tools shovel is ideal for pushing snow on sidewalks and driveways, making shoveling easier.
- Fiberglass D-grip
- Coated blade
- Long handle
- Closed back
Suncast’s snow shovel has an ergonomically designed “S”-shaped handle, which can effectively remove a large amount of snow with less pressure on the back and muscles. The 18-inch blade is made of strong coated polyethylene with a protective metal strip on the edge to make it more durable and enhance snow removal.
You can choose to lift heavy snow with only one tool or push snow away from the driveway or sidewalk. The steel shaft has a powder-coated finish to make it durable and rust-resistant.
- Galvanized steel edge
- D-shaped grip
- Coated plastic blade
- Rust-resistant, powder-coated shaft
- Ribbed steel core
How To Choose The Right Snow Shovel?
There are certain points to keep in mind before you invest in a snow shovel.
- Match your strength: If you are short, choose a light shovel, and those with stronger forearms can choose an all-metal heavy shovel.
- Blade size: Larger-width shovels are more suitable for heavy snow, while light jobs require narrower blades.
- Match your height: If you want to avoid back pain every winter, then choose a shovel that suits your height. A short-handled shovel provides the best leverage for smaller people, while taller people need an extended handle to prevent backaches.
- Handle diameter: A handle with a comfortable diameter can accommodate gloved hands and prevent blisters.
- Quality: Choosing the right shovel of good quality is important as they provide durability and high performance. Metal shovels are strong and work when there is heavy snow to clear, lightweight plastic shovels for traveling and clearing minimal snow.
With the increase in back injuries caused by snow shoveling, it is necessary to invest in a high-quality snow shovel to make the task easy and efficient. Get a snow shovel that fits all your requirements, and you can look forward to the next heavy snowfall without worrying about getting delayed to work or school.