Are you struggling with oily skin? Don’t worry, as we present you with the best soaps for oily skin. These soaps are mildly formulated products that are perfect for sensitive skin. So, it’s very necessary to select products that keep oiliness at bay and remove dirt, impurities from your skin. So, plunge into this post for the top soaps for oily skin. We have also mentioned the pros and cons to make your selection process easier.
Our Top Picks
14 Best Soaps For Oily Skin
The following bar soaps are claimed to be suitable for oily skin. But as each person’s skin is different, read the label for the ingredients and do a patch test before using any soap on the face or body to avoid skin irritations and allergies.
1. Best Non-Comedogenic: Cetaphil Deep Cleansing Bar
Cetaphil Deep Cleansing Bar is a newly formulated version of the Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Anti-Bacterial Bar. It claims to deeply cleanse your face and body by removing oil, dirt, and other impurities. It is suitable for all skin types and contains five nourishing ingredients that do do not strip or dry your skin. It is available in packs of three and six soap bars.
- Hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic (doesn’t cause blocked pores) soap
- Forms a rich lather and gently cleanses the skin
- Leaves your skin soft, moisturized, and refreshing
- May have a strong smell
- May not be suitable for ultra-sensitive skin
2. Best Vegan: Keika charcoal bar
Keika Charcoal Bar is a 100% natural bar soap that is infused with the goodness of activated charcoal, bentonite clay, Himalayan pink salt, shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil, and much more. The soap bar is suitable for teens, men, and women who have oily skin. It can be used both on the face and body.
- Handmade and 100% vegan-free of chemicals
- Suitable for treating rosacea, psoriasis, eczema, acne, and other sensitive skin problems
- Long-lasting and has a light fragrance from essential oils
- Could be rough on the skin
3. Best For All Skin Types: Trueremdy Naturals Charcoal Soap
Trueremdy Naturals Charcoal Soap is ideal for all skin types. This soap combats skin issues like psoriasis, athlete foot, blackheads, acne, and eczema. It doesn’t have any synthetic fragrances; instead, they are naturally scented with tea-tree and peppermint. The effect of the soap lasts 3x times longer than a generic soap.
- Sulfate-free, paraben-free, and preservative-free
- Suitable for men, women, and teens
- Cruelty-free and vegan
- May melt quickly in water
4. Best For Dispensing Mites: Sea Salt Soap
Sea Salt Soap by Fabulure is formulated with sea salt and goat milk and is suitable for oily skin. It works as an exfoliating scrub, cleansing and detoxifying the skin and leaving it a healthy glow. The soap bar helps to shrink pores, control oil, and deeply cleanse the skin. Here’s a review video summarizing more about the Sea Salt Soap.
- Helps to fight acne
- Cleanses, conditions, and moisturizes the skin
- Can be used on the face and body
- Can be used by teens, men, and women
- Ideal for dispensing mites
- Exfoliates the skin
- May not be suitable for sensitive skin
5. Best For Treating Eczema: Beauty by Earth Facial Bar Soap
Beauty by Earth Facial Bar Soapis organically made for oily skin. It is infused with the goodness of charcoal, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, rosemary extract, witch hazel, rose petal water, coconut oil, and shea butter to remove blemishes, treat acne, and give you a glowing skin. This handmade bar is also suitable for treating psoriasis and eczema.
- Sulfate-, paraben-, and cruelty-free bar
- Detoxes, cleanses, and hydrates your skin
- Has a light and pleasant scent from organic essential oils
- May not be suitable for all types of skin
6. Best For Oily Skin: Bamboo Charcoal Soap
Bamboo Charcoal Soap by New Leaf Products is formulated with bamboo charcoal to remove grime and impurities and detoxify your skin. It is made with pure natural ingredients and can be used on the face and body. The soap bar is suitable for oily skin and helps in treating acne and reducing blemishes.
- Free of sulfate, colorants, preservatives, and phthalates
- Effective against psoriasis, itching, and body odor
- Long-lasting and lathers well
- Has a pleasant fragrance
- May not be suitable for all types of skin
7. Best For Face And Body: Natrulo Acne Bar Soap
Natrulo Acne Bar Soap is a 100% natural bar soap infused with activated clay, castor oil, olive oil, coconut oil, tea tree oil, shea butter, and more. It claims to effectively treat acne by removing the dirt and impurities from the skin. The handmade soap also contains bentonite clay, which helps in removing blackheads and makes the skin clearer and brighter.
- Free of parabens, harsh chemicals, artificial dyes, phthalates, and petroleum
- Can be used on the face and body
- Can be used on all types of skin
- May not be long-lasting
8. Best For Treating Psoriasis: Shea Moisture African Black Soap
Shea Moisture African Black Soap is a vegan soap formulated with palm ash, tamarind extract, and plantain peel. The soap has been formulated to balance oily skin. It may also help to relieve the symptoms of psoriasis and eczema. Take a look at this review video to know more about the product and make an informed buying decision.
- Contains shea butter and coconut oil, which moisturize and soothes the skin
- Contains no sulfates, mineral oil, phthalates, and parabens
- Has certified organic ingredients
- May cause irritation on sensitive skin
9. Best Dermatologically Tested: Clinique Facial Soap
Clinique Liquid Facial Soap is formulated to treat oily skin. It removes dirt and oil from the face. Regular cleansing with this soap can leave your skin clean and clear.
- Contains menthol that gives out a refreshing and subtle smell
- Long-lasting and convenient to use
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Hypoallergenic and dermatologically-tested
- Could be expensive for some
10. Best Travel-Friendly: Clinique Three Little Soaps
This pack brings you three soap bars, each packaged in an elegant and portable soap dish. It is a clinically formulated soap that can be used to cleanse the face. It does not have much fragrance and the soap bar is ideal for use during travel.
- Value pack
- Has a mild formulation
- The size of the bar is a tad small for use at home
11. Best For All Ages: Eumora Beauty Bar
This soap bar by Eumora is made with natural ingredients and is suitable for oily skin. It is infused with moor clay, Hydration Microalgae (HMa), olive oil, and chamomile extract. The antibacterial properties of the soap may help prevent infections and treat symptoms of acne, psoriasis, rosacea, and eczema. The pack contains four soap bars.
- Moor clay helps in cleansing and detoxifying the skin
- HMa helps moisturize the skin
- Hypoallergenic and cruelty-free
- Contains no paraben, fragrance, mineral oil, SLS, and other harmful chemicals
- Suitable for children and adults
- Small in size
12. Best For Sportspersons: Remedy Soap
Remedy SoapbyTruremedy Naturals is formulated with natural and organic ingredients, including eucalyptus, tea tree oil, peppermint, coconut oil, olive oil, and rosemary. It nourishes and deeply cleanses your body by washing away dirt, sweat, and body odor. It soothes itchy skin and deodorizes too. It is suitable for active people who are involved in sports and intense workouts.
- Can be used on the face and body
- Contains no dyes, petroleum, animal fats, parabens, sulfates, alcohol, or synthetic fragrances
- Soothes itchy, dry, irritated, and cracked skin
- Some people may experience dryness on the skin
13. Best Colorant-Free: DHC Pure Soap
This soap from DHC helps in dissolving the impurities in the face. It is loaded with antioxidants and olive fruit oil which help in reducing the signs of aging. It is also loaded with aloe leaf juice extracts that are guaranteed to give you hydrated skin without compromising the natural moisture of your skin. To use this soap, create a lather in your palms and massage it on the face to increase the foamy content and cleanse your skin.
- Does not clog pores
- May cause redness of the skin
14. Best Handmade: The Healing Tree Herbal Handmade Soap
This handmade herbal soap by The Healing Tree is infused with the goodness of tea tree oil, bamboo charcoal, coconut oil, and shea butter. It is suitable for acne-prone skin. The soap deep cleanses the skin to remove dirt, dead skin cells, and toxins. It detoxifies the skin and makes it smooth and soft.
- Handmade and vegan
- Contains no parabens, SLS, or other harmful chemicals
- Unclogs pores and makes your skin feel fresh
- May not be suitable for everyone
- May irritate sensitive skin
Reasons That Cause Oily Skin
The sebaceous gland under the pores of the skin produces sebum or natural oil. It ideally helps to keep the skin healthy and hydrated. However, some people produce excess oil, and so they have oily skin. It could be due to the following reasons.
- Environment: Hot weather and humidity may make your skin secrete more oil. Therefore, in summer months, you may tend to have oily skin, and in winter months, your skin may turn dry.
- Genetics: If any of your parents have oily skin, it could be passed through the genes, and you may have large sebaceous glands, secreting more oil than usual.
- Overusing skin care products: Washing your face too many times or overusing skin care products could cause overproduction of oil from your skin.
- Hormonal changes: When hormones fluctuate, there is an increase in the production of sebum. It could happen during pregnancy and menopause and before menstruation. Sometimes, stress may cause an increase in oil production too.
- Others: Some other reasons for an increase in oil production could be poor diet, enlarged pores, and usage of wrong cosmetics.
How To Choose The Right Soap For Oily Skin?
You have to be careful when picking the right soap for your oily skin. Some of the factors to consider are:
- Ingredients: Choose a soap that is made with natural ingredients and is free of chemicals and artificial fragrances. Avoid soaps that contain parabens, petroleum, sulfates, and other harmful substances.
- Skin type: Consider your skin type. Do you have oily, oily sensitive, or combination skin? Is your skin prone to acne or allergic to any substance? Based on these factors, you may pick the soap bar to suit your skin type.
- Eco-friendly: Nowadays, many brands formulate soaps with environmental-friendly ingredients. Some are cruelty-free and vegan too. It may be wise to pick those.
Dr. Dmitriy Schwarzburg, a renowned New York-based dermatologist and owner of Skinly Aesthetics, says, “Soaps with minimal ingredients are often the best, as they are free of harmful chemicals commonly hidden in even the most popular products.” He further says, “Avoid soaps with artificial fragrances as they tend to dry out the skin.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is a beauty, skin care, and fashion enthusiast. She has compiled this list of the best soaps for oily skin based on consumer reviews and beauty forum recommendations. She has also offered tips on choosing the right product for your skin and requirements based on factors such as skin type and ingredients. These soaps will help clear your oily skin without completely stripping it of moisture.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do soaps dry out the skin?
Soaps containing sulfates can dry your skin. So, choose your soap wisely according to your skin type and preference.
2. Do soaps help acne?
Soaps formulated with tea tree oil, glycolic acid, or salicylic acid can help in treating and preventing acne.
3. Can soaps be used every day?
Yes, soaps can be used every day. If your skin type is oily, using soap every day can be beneficial for removing excess sebum and sweat. However, if you have dry skin, you might want to use a moisturizer after using your soap. Also, you can use a soap with moisturizing properties instead.
4. Do soaps expire?
Yes, soaps come with an expiration date. However, they have a longer shelf life than most cosmetics. Handmade soaps tend to expire faster than industrially-made soaps.
5. How do you store soaps?
It is best to store soaps in a dry place and in a covered container that allows proper drainage.
The best soaps for oily skin are specially designed to keep your skin clean and healthy and reduce its oiliness. If you are looking for a soap for oily skin, go for one made from natural ingredients like shea butter, aloe vera, tea tree oil, neem, and rosemary, as they can give you a soothing effect and rejuvenate your skin. However, avoid soap that contains harmful ingredients like paraben and sulfates, as they may have a strong odor and may cause excessive dryness.
- Best Powders For Oily Skin
- Best Makeup Products For Oily Skin
- Best Exfoliators For Oily Skin
- Best BB Creams For Oily Skin
View Profile ›
Dr. Dmitriy Schwarzburg(MD)
View Profile ›